One of "them" consumer reports is doing the rounds, this time from Pfeiffer. It is important to point out that the report is looking at usability from "the day to day use of a non-technical user" which begs the question: WTF are they doing with a smartphone in the first place?
    As I was reading it, I thought of the new "prosumer" phrase that is doing the rounds, and how that affects the market. What would the report say if it was looking at users who wanted to do smart things with their smart phone?
    Despite BB10 getting a hammering compared with iOS and Android, the message seems to be that BB10 needs to be learnt. What it should say is that our perceived learning behaviour needs to be altered - who is to say we need a home button? Who is to say we need a back button? Are gestures not good enough? Maybe not, but the report's flaw is that user experience is derived from looking at iOS 6.0 as the benchmark. Not to mention that is only looks at TouchWiz for Android which is again misleading. And God knows how they can accuse BB10 of not being slick - one thing it has is a very smooth consistency in how elements interact.
    BB10 Usability Study - iOS wins again...apparently-overall_chart.jpg
    Overall, BB10 sits neck and neck with Android, and ahead of Windows, which is good although adding both iOS6 and 7 in the mix is not exactly comparing fruit correctly...
    Read the report here:
    http://www.pfeifferreport.com/v2/wp-...e-Shootout.pdf
    3hb78ftg likes this.
    09-25-13 07:47 AM
    False
    Lots of people having problems with ios7 one is the battery drain

Don't be shy to add my Z10 to ur BBM pin:24E0B83D
    09-25-13 07:58 AM
    There's a battery drain problem?

There is a slight learning curve with BB10. A very slight one. People are used to the home and the back button, so some pick up gestures faster than others.

As far as who uses smartphones....they have reached the point that they are as ubiquitous as landlines used to be. So they're not just for techies.

The OP's points about only using Samsung as the example for Android is a good one. Interesting that BB10 beat WP8.

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-25-13 08:09 AM
    There's a battery drain problem?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/25/meqaty3u.jpg

There is a slight learning curve with BB10. A very slight one. People are used to the home and the back button, so some pick up gestures faster than others.

As far as who uses smartphones....they have reached the point that they are as ubiquitous as landlines used to be. So they're not just for techies.

The OP's points about only using Samsung as the example for Android is a good one. Interesting that BB10 beat WP8.

I miss the old rotary dial telephones...

BlackBerry Z...my weapon of choice.
    09-25-13 08:17 AM
    I miss the old rotary dial telephones...

I have to say that my three phones are about the same right now. My Z was getting me horrible battery life right after upgrading to 10.2 but it's settled nicely at slightly less than my iPhone 5 on iOS7. Which is better than my 4S was running iOS6. My SGIII runs a full 12-15 hours too.

I miss the days of two days on a single charge on my 9700. But this is the price to be paid with the larger screens and the fact that we use (or I should say I use) my phones for EVERYTHING. And I'm constantly on them.
    09-25-13 08:21 AM
    One of "them" consumer reports is doing the rounds, this time from Pfeiffer. It is important to point out that the report is looking at usability from "the day to day use of a non-technical user" which begs the question: WTF are they doing with a smartphone in the first place?
    As I was reading it, I thought of the new "prosumer" phrase that is doing the rounds, and how that affects the market. What would the report say if it was looking at users who wanted to do smart things with their smart phone?
    Despite BB10 getting a hammering compared with iOS and Android, the message seems to be that BB10 needs to be learnt. What it should say is that our perceived learning behaviour needs to be altered - who is to say we need a home button? Who is to say we need a back button? Are gestures not good enough? Maybe not, but the report's flaw is that user experience is derived from looking at iOS 6.0 as the benchmark. Not to mention that is only looks at TouchWiz for Android which is again misleading. And God knows how they can accuse BB10 of not being slick - one thing it has is a very smooth consistency in how elements interact.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	overall_chart.jpg 
Views:	1087 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	205149
    Overall, BB10 sits neck and neck with Android, and ahead of Windows, which is good although adding both iOS6 and 7 in the mix is not exactly comparing fruit correctly...
    Read the report here:
    http://www.pfeifferreport.com/v2/wp-...e-Shootout.pdf
    So are they trying to say that the only "recognizable" use of a smartphone is Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and gaming?

If so then God forbid all the people out there that use their devices for using it constructively and actually getting something done.

My with has an iPhone and the only thing she does with it is use Facebook. She hardly even talks in the phone because es he prefers posting to the people she wants to talk to.

Yes, this is very sad I know...I forsee a divorce in the very near future.

09-25-13 08:23 AM
    Smart phones are not a substitute for thinking.

The Polyanna principle states that machines should work, people should think. Unfortunately there us not much of the latter, and Apple knows that.

I must say though that all 3 mobile OS have their respective strengths and weaknesses, but Android has evolved the quickest.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 08:25 AM
    Smart phones are not a substitute for thinking.

The Polyanna principle states that machines should work, people should think. Unfortunately there us not much of the latter, and Apple knows that.

I must say though that all 3 mobile OS have their respective strengths and weaknesses, but Android has evolved the quickest.

Posted via CB10
    Agree with this.
    09-25-13 08:33 AM
    I'm actually surprised at how well Blackberry scored.
    09-25-13 08:36 AM
    "WTF are they doing with a smartphone in the first place?"

Really? I mean really?

This shows volumes about so many members of this community.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:34 AM

Yes, this is very sad I know...I forsee a divorce in the very near future.

My condolences or congratulations -- whichever is appropriate.
    09-25-13 09:42 AM
    ...the message seems to be that BB10 needs to be learnt.
    This is what happens when you do a survey with a biased audience- if a large majority of users are already familiar with iOS, then of course the results will be biased towards iOS being "easy".. What they need to do in these surveys is *not* to pick a "random" set of people to poll, but do a process like jury selection and ensure that there's an even population of users of every platform and a few that have never used mobile devices at all, otherwise your results are just a reflection of what iOS users think of the other platforms with just a few other opinions sprinkled in..

In fact, iOS needs to be "learned", much more so than BB10 IMO.. Gestures are great: pinch to zoom and swipe your finger up and down to scroll are very, very intuitive, but in Apple's case, the rest of their "multi-finger" gestures are absolutely non-intuitive, sometimes awkward to perform, and most definitely must be learned- and in fact, I believe very few Apple users: perhaps only the "power users" actually use the multi-finger gestures- I'd bet that if you go and do another one of these surveys, the vast majority of iOS users either do not know there are multi-finger gestures or they may be aware of them, but never use them because they're difficult to remember (number of fingers seems to be totally arbitrary) or awkward to perform: I often tongue-in-cheek describe these awkward "claw" gestures as designed by Steve Jobs because they were easy for him to perform in his natural form as a hellspawn agent of evil.. On the other hand, the bezel gestures introduced in the PlayBook and for the most part carried over into BB10, might need to be learned, but like the pinch-zoom and finger scroll gestures, actually make sense and the "learning curve" is very short: people understand that the swipe upwards from the bezel means to show the home screen, or that the peek gesture shows the hub, and you don't have to remember how many fingers to use and for what.. The rest of the UIs are very, very similar between all the various OSes, and anyone who can look at a picture and point at it can basically use the device..
    09-25-13 10:16 AM
    Wait.

We often hear about how easy iOS is that a trained monkey can use it. Now you're saying it has to be learned.

Which is it? Or is the argument situational?

I've used several platforms. I fully admit to getting hopelessly lost using BB10 for about two minutes the day I got it. Not so proud to admit. I had a very slight learning curve.

09-25-13 12:11 PM
    Wait.

We often hear about how easy iOS is that a trained monkey can use it. Now you're saying it has to be learned.

Which is it? Or is the argument situational?

I've used several platforms. I fully admit to getting hopelessly lost using BB10 for about two minutes the day I got it. Not so proud to admit. I had a very slight learning curve.

Wait! You've nailed it.

To do this study objectively, what we need is a room full of trained monkeys who are unfamiliar with all operating systems. At this point, the monkeys are the only ones with zero exposure to iOS.
    09-25-13 05:02 PM