I was trying out Angry Birds Star Wars yesterday. And for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to exit the application, though I managed to do it once. Is there a trick for this?
    02-06-13 05:54 AM
    I'm guessing it'll be the usual swipe up to minimize??
    02-06-13 07:28 AM
    Actually it's not quite. It's the same gesture, but much more slow and deliberate - you almost have to hold the bezel for a bit, and then drag slowly. Friend of mine was saying it's to prevent accidentally minimizing an app while playing.
    02-06-13 08:06 AM
    Noticed when on my PC last night that Z10 has wireless transfer added as external drives, both Z10 device storage and SD card which is cool. (PC is on the same network as the Z10 is connected through wifi). Can't remember if it added on it's own or after I had plugged in USB the first time. There are settings in 'storage and access' for this. Use this wifi transfer all the time on Playbook, nice to see on BB10.
    02-06-13 09:23 AM
    I was trying out Angry Birds Star Wars yesterday. And for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to exit the application, though I managed to do it once. Is there a trick for this?
    you swipe in from the bottom of the length of the phone (so when you're in landscape view, the bottom). it's kind of tricky but once you get a feel for the response it works every time

I didn't have to hold the bezel or do it slowly at all
    02-06-13 12:37 PM
    Looks like no one notice this one yet:
    -you can do a pinch zoom when taking a photo with the camera with 2 fingers (or 2 thumbs, that way's easier if you are taking a photo with 2 hands)
    02-06-13 03:24 PM
    Does anyone know how to find lists in the Twitter app?
    02-06-13 06:20 PM
    *bookmarked*

Thank you for sharing ladies & gents! really cant wait to get my hand on the Z10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    02-06-13 07:06 PM
    tap either of the volumes keys to take a picture.

I the Hub:
    tap and hold in the date line to :
    Go to next date,
    go to previous date
    got to top or bottom
    mark prior read
    delete prior

Open a message and click the 3 dots to:
    reply to all
    forward
    mark unread
    Flag>> this will mark as starred in gmail
    File>> this will move the email to any folders you have in your email account
    invite to meeting
    add sender to contacts
    delete

When searching in the Hub
    tap in the 3 lines at the left of the search bar to get some advanced search options
    JohnnyWalla and nikgilbe like this.
    02-06-13 10:33 PM
    This is useful if you have a lot of pages full of apps.

Holding down on the page slider (above the search icon) just slide left or right to the desired page. A lot faster than scrolling from active frames to your last app page. I was doing that for quite a while.
    JohnnyWalla likes this.
    02-07-13 12:42 AM
    Why is Blackberry not able to include functions that the very low end phones have always had - the ability to add a number from the call log to an existing contact details directly ? At this time and apparently with Z10 one has to first copy the number and then open the contacts details to edit it by pasting the new number in one of the vacant phone number fields !!
    02-07-13 08:01 AM
    Why is Blackberry not able to include functions that the very low end phones have always had - the ability to add a number from the call log to an existing contact details directly ? At this time and apparently with Z10 one has to first copy the number and then open the contacts details to edit it by pasting the new number in one of the vacant phone number fields !!
    Um, the function is there. All you do is hold down on the number on the call log and wait for options to pop up. Then you simply select 'Add to contacts'.
    CDM76, PatrickMJS and Tim-ANC like this.
    02-07-13 10:21 AM
    Hello, was wondering if anyone can help me in trying to save photos on my z10, either off my emails or off fb. I've tried the tap and hold as I read on 1 thread but it's not working.
    Thx in advance.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-07-13 01:05 PM
    Not sure how to do that either. But on Facebook, you can always enlarge the photo and take a screenshot by pressing up and down volume rockers at the same time as a work around.
    stonepeake cbrs likes this.
    02-07-13 01:09 PM
    type the letters "bb" then when u see blackberry in space bar tap that and all the device names will show up on the keypad.
    02-07-13 01:43 PM
    Contact pictures can be changed to whichever one you prefer. Go to a contact's card and just click their photo at the top. If they have more than one through linked accounts, it shows them in a list and you can clock whichever one you want to be the main photo. Really cool!
    02-07-13 04:48 PM
    The minimized active frame for the file manager application shows your storage space available (device, SD, etc)
    02-07-13 05:00 PM
    Yes, I would also like to know how to save pictures from facebook feeds and such. Holding down on the pic does nothing.
    02-07-13 06:41 PM
    Yes, I would also like to know how to save pictures from facebook feeds and such. Holding down on the pic does nothing.
    That's not possible in Android either, so it might be a Facebook thing. Then again, I'm able to do it in iOS. Hmm...
    02-07-13 07:01 PM
    After you take a picture you can see the little thumbnail of the pic in the lower-left corner. You can tap the picture to open it but if you just want a quick look to see how the picture came out, tap and drag the picture from the lower-left towards the center of the screen. The picture will expand as you drag and then shrink back as you drag back or let go.
    info600, simonfa and Bolderholder like this.
    02-07-13 07:53 PM
    In the music player app (which by the way is impressively smooth and scrolls, changes songs really quickly. Quicker than ios!) you can vie "All Songs" if you go in playlists. Also, when in the "Now Playing" view, clicking the album art causes the list of now playing songs to come up along with a volume slide. The list is scrollable, so you can pick any song you want in the playlist
    02-08-13 12:31 AM
    So with the Dev Alpha update today and people getting their hands on the Z10 I thought it would be a good idea to start sharing some tips & tricks and anything else cool that you find.

I'll update this list as new things are discovered.

Keyboard
    • Swipe up with 2 fingers to bring up the keyboard and the opposite to get rid of it
    • tap and hold the spacebar to hide the keyboard
    I have another way to hide the key board with one finger. If you put your finger/thumb on the emoticon area of the keyboard and swipe down, the keyboard will disappear. Using two fingers was frustrating and holding the space bar took too long to minimize (remember that BB people do... ) This is probably one of the most amazing finds.

EDIT: Only works in BBM and Text. It is better than nothing for sure.
    Last edited by kpbutton; 02-08-13 at 09:06 AM.
    02-08-13 08:43 AM
    Actually it's very simple. Swipe up in the middle 1/3 of the bezel (this is for landscape-only apps like many games).

There's a special app restricted "permission" developers may choose to use, called "narrow_landscape_exit". The description says this "Reduce the region of the home swipe up gesture to occur only in the middle edge of the bottom of the bezel instead of a full-length swipe. This access allows apps in a landscape orientation, such as games, to use corner regions for menus and virtual gamepads and prevents the game from inadvertently going into the background."

I'm a bit surprised they used this in Angry Birds since I didn't think it was the sort of game where you'd often accidentally trigger the bottom-swipe, but maybe they did actual playability testing and found this was necessary. Or maybe they just saw a "cool feature" and used it without thinking about the ramifications...
    02-08-13 09:48 AM
    Shao,

Thanks for starting this thread. I've taken the liberty of combing thru all the posts here, condensing and editing them for ease. Also great to see all the other avid CB'ers chiming in.

I woke up early and figured you might want a little break.

Here goes.

Z10 Tips

Keyboard

Swipe up with 2 fingers to bring up the keyboard and the opposite to get rid of it.

Tap and hold a letter key for caps.

Tap and hold some punctuation keys for alternate characters (eg ? and �).

Tap and hold the spacebar to hide the keyboard.

Tap and hold the comma for keyboard/language settings.

Double-tap the spacebar for a period.

Swipe down on the keyboard to toggle between the three keyboards (alpha, numeric & punctuation, more punctuation).

Swipe left anywhere on the keyboard to delete the word to the left of the cursor.

You can type using voice dictation by pressing the period key. It's remarkably precise.

Precise cursor control while editing text: tap in your text. A magnifier appears. Tap the left/right/top/bottom rim of the magnifier to move the cursor in that direction.

Contacts

Open your contacts, swipe from the top down, click on settings, from this menu you can select which contacts appear (sim, BBM, Twitter,Facebook etc.)

If you add a contact to Favorites it'll appear at the top of your contacts.

If you have duplicate contacts synced by different email accounts, you can multiselect them and link > it'll merge them and keep everything on one place.

Fast scrolling can be done by dragging through letters listed vertically on the right side of the screen.

Camera

Pinch zoom when taking a photo with the camera with 2 fingers (or 2 thumbs, that way's easier if you are taking a photo with 2 hands).

If the picture is too dark, you can drag the autofocus box from the centre of the screen to a dark area and the light settings will adjust.

After you take a picture, a small thumbnail of the pic appears in the lower-left corner. You can tap the thumbnail to open it, but if you just want a quick look to see how the picture came out, tap and drag the picture from the lower-left towards the centre of the screen. The picture will expand as you drag it and then it shrinks back to the corner as soon as you let go of it.

Hub

Tap and hold on the date line between messages. 6 icons will appear for:
    • "Go to next date",
    • "Go to previous date",
    • "Go to top",
    • "Go to bottom",
    • "Mark messages prior to this date as read",
    • "Delete all messages prior to this date".

Open a message and click the 3 dots to:
    • Reply,
    • Reply to all,
    • Forward,
    • Mark unread,
    • Flag (the flag will mark the message as "starred" in Gmail),
    • File (this will move the message to any folders you have in your email account),
    • Invite to meeting,
    • Add sender to contacts,
    • Delete.

When searching in the Hub, tap in the 3 lines at the left of the search bar to get the advanced search options.

When viewing a message from the hub, perhaps after opening an attachment, to quickly get back to the beginning of the Hub, press the "back" button in the lower left corner and slide it to the right.

Navigating App Icons

This is useful if you have a lot of pages full of apps. Hold down on the page slider (the little "dots" located just above the search icon) & just slide left or right to the desired page. A lot faster than scrolling from active frames to your last app page. The sequence from left to right is: Hub, Open Apps (aka "active frames") if any, Apps Page 1, Apps Page 2, Apps Page 3...

Phone

You can add a contact to speed dial and it'll appear at the top of screen.

During call you can press and hold mute button to hold the call.

Taking notes during call will automatically save them in Remember app.

To add a number from the call log to an existing contact, just hold down on the number on the call log and wait for options to pop up. Then you simply select 'Add to contacts'.

Notifications

When you swipe down from the top of either the homescreen or the hub, if you tap the icon, you change the item (e.g., bluetooth on/off, wifi on/off etc). If you tap the text beside the icon, it loads that page in the settings app.

Tapping the volume down button reduces the volume & once its down to nothing, if you press down again it puts the phone into silent mode (a bell with a line through comes up next to the battery icon and the phone vibrates to confirm). Pressing the volume up button puts notifications back on again and the phone again vibrates to confirm.

Browser

Pull the icon in the browser's bottom left corner very slightly to the right, to peek at and reveal your open tabs without actual opening it all the way.

File Manager

In the File Manager, if you long-press on a file and select Rename, it does a rename where it won't touch the file extension (which is actually a good thing most of the time).

If instead of Rename you select Properties, you get a dialog that shows details like file size and read/write status. There's an Edit button there which lets you rename the entire filename, including extension.

The minimized icon (aka active frame) for the File Manager app shows the free memory left on the device and the SD card as well as your status of your cloud connection.

Music

When playing music in the background while using another app, if you tap the volume key, you get a popup of the current track playing, the volume, some album art and play/pause and back/fwd buttons. now the back/fwd/play buttons are self-explanatory, however if you tap the albumart image, it'll move you back to the media player.

Also, when in the "now playing" screen of the media player, you can either tap the albumart image in the center of the screen, or drag the image down which will show the loaded list of music (if you have hit random, then it shows the upcoming songs, and you can then skip through tracks that way. Also, it then gives you a volume slider at the top of the screen.

Miscellaneous

When the device is booting up, tap the screen to change the BB Logo to display the % complete.

Press the volume up and down keys together to take a screenshot.

To change your email signature: Hub> tap the three dots bottom right corner> settings> email accounts> tap on your email account> edit signature
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 02-10-13 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Add some recently posted tips
    02-08-13 10:34 AM
    YouTube continues to play when you open a second tab

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    mundo472 likes this.
    02-08-13 11:08 AM
235 12345 ...