I am experiencing issues where the OS seems to freeze/lock up. It seems as if there is some process or service that is trying to perform an action, but times out.

I have gone through and deleted several recent apps I added, ran CCleaner, hard reboot, but the issue remains.

I do not want to do a complete system wipe even though that will likely solve the problem. I just don't have the time it takes to go through that.

Is there a way to track down what is locking up my system? I've tried looking in the Device Monitor, but nothing sticks out as high usage. Which I suspect is because it isn't registering in the Device monitor.

Is there a way I can see what detailed services are running and waiting for a timeout to occur to release processor resources?

I am not getting any popup that states a service timed out or failed to start.

I am on 10.3.2 on a BlackBerry Classic. I have not upgraded to 10.3.3 due to the time I don't have to do a complete backup using Link. I am backing up the data using other tools, but restore from those approaches are not as easy if I use Link.

Thanks,
    Anders

Posted via CB10
    02-18-19 09:06 AM
    One of the the Android File Managers would allow you to see running Android process.... but I don't remember which it was. File Commander maybe...
    02-18-19 09:25 AM
    I am experiencing issues where the OS seems to freeze/lock up. It seems as if there is some process or service that is trying to perform an action, but times out.

I have gone through and deleted several recent apps I added, ran CCleaner, hard reboot, but the issue remains.

I do not want to do a complete system wipe even though that will likely solve the problem. I just don't have the time it takes to go through that.

Is there a way to track down what is locking up my system? I've tried looking in the Device Monitor, but nothing sticks out as high usage. Which I suspect is because it isn't registering in the Device monitor.

Is there a way I can see what detailed services are running and waiting for a timeout to occur to release processor resources?

I am not getting any popup that states a service timed out or failed to start.

I am on 10.3.2 on a BlackBerry Classic. I have not upgraded to 10.3.3 due to the time I don't have to do a complete backup using Link. I am backing up the data using other tools, but restore from those approaches are not as easy if I use Link.

Thanks,
    Anders

Posted via CB10
    The problem is, even if you knew what was causing the problem, it is likely that only a fresh reload of the OS would be able to fix it anyway.

Also, don't count on Link for any backups, as it has been EOL for some time and doesn't work on a lot of systems - particularly Windows 10.

I would move media and documents to your SD card, sync contacts, email, and calendar to the cloud (Gmail or Outlook.com), and then load the latest OS via autoloader.

Download to PC, unzip it, plug in phone, run autoloader.

https://mega.nz/#!tVgyjDYS!ojnru-l0A...CIkAU1dIybpHK0
    Vladislavt likes this.
    02-18-19 10:07 AM
    I would like to figure it out before reloading so it doesn't come back. For example, I figured out a year ago, disabling BlackBerry Guardian resolved long install times. Likely because the service was discontinued.

I suspect the same may be somewhere else, either with a BlackBerry service, an app or one of the app stores.

It takes a long time to do a fresh wipe. I have Windows 7, so Link seems to be working fine, however, the speed to backup and restore requires a fair amount of time to complete.

I will see if DDD's suggestion earlier may help me identify what might be at issue.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-19 12:14 PM
    I would like to figure it out before reloading so it doesn't come back. For example, I figured out a year ago, disabling BlackBerry Guardian resolved long install times. Likely because the service was discontinued.

I suspect the same may be somewhere else, either with a BlackBerry service, an app or one of the app stores.

It takes a long time to do a fresh wipe. I have Windows 7, so Link seems to be working fine, however, the speed to backup and restore requires a fair amount of time to complete.

I will see if DDD's suggestion earlier may help me identify what might be at issue.

Posted via CB10
    You should never use Link for backup and restore. It just puts back the system corruption you are trying to get rid of.
    02-18-19 12:19 PM
    You should never use Link for backup and restore. It just puts back the system corruption you are trying to get rid of.
    To clarify, I use Link to restore app data files, not the install. I do a fresh reinstall of all apps individually for the fact that it will likely only return the same issue.

Some Apps are cloud based (Hub, calendar, remember, contacts,etc), it's the apps which are not cloud based with the app data that are a pain to restore.

Posted via CB10
    conite likes this.
    02-18-19 12:26 PM
    To clarify, I use Link to restore app data files, not the install. I do a fresh reinstall of all apps individually for the fact that it will likely only return the same issue.

Some Apps are cloud based (Hub, calendar, remember, contacts,etc), it's the apps which are not cloud based with the app data that are a pain to restore.

Posted via CB10
    Hey ajohansson,

First, feel free to use Link if needed to restore data, or Sachesi or the rest. An autoloader is best to actually reload the OS, but any of these programs will be fine for your backup and restore needs. (They also work on Windows 10, should you ever upgrade.)

Do you have any orphan accounts perchance? That can cause this sort of problem. You might also try force-closing apps to see if one of them is the problem. You can do this by going to Settings --> Storage --> Device Storage Details, then pressing on the app and selecting Close from the pop-out menu on the right.

There is also Device Monitor if you want to check on CPU, memory usage, etc.
    02-18-19 06:54 PM
    I had this issue on my Passport on 10.3.3, to the extent that the phone would be unresponsive at times. Not to scare you, but it took reloading the OS with an autoloader to solve the problem. I tried many less drastic measures first as I did not want to ask IT for a new activation token, less it be viewed as an excuse to force one of the few remaining BlackBerry users onto iOS.

Minor freezing has crept back in, 2-3 months after the reload. I suspect it has to do with the extra time taken to reallocate information around worn memory cells. It would not surprise me that my memory is getting worn, after 2+ years of a 100+ work emails every weekday.

I'll probably swap my Passport as soon as work supports Android as I've had it since the launch. The battery is no longer what it used to be and I cannot get the camera to focus any more.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-19 06:56 PM
    @TrumpetTiger - I have gone through the steps of closing apps via Device Monitor routinely, but I have already hit the obvious ones. I suspect it is an orphan account or one of the BlackBerry services. I'm thinking of turning off BlackBerry Protect to see what happens for 24 hours. This is how I discovered the BlackBerry Guardian problem with app installs (funny enough, B1aze released an article a short while later confirming the same).
    @deltact - NOOOOO.... please don't say it's bit rot. Is there a way to see if there are reallocation going on due to failed sectors? I was having some issues with writing backups to my SD card a while back, but that seemed to be a fluke that I believe is related to the system freezing because even the native file explorer would stop responding for extended time periods when trying to navigate folders on my SD card.

All - thanks for your feedback. I am still hunting for the cause. It's not so bad I need to do a complete re-install yet, but I will likely need to, at least to prepare for post 2019.

Anders

Posted via CB10
    02-18-19 10:37 PM
    @TrumpetTiger - I have gone through the steps of closing apps via Device Monitor routinely, but I have already hit the obvious ones. I suspect it is an orphan account or one of the BlackBerry services. I'm thinking of turning off BlackBerry Protect to see what happens for 24 hours. This is how I discovered the BlackBerry Guardian problem with app installs (funny enough, B1aze released an article a short while later confirming the same).
    @deltact - NOOOOO.... please don't say it's bit rot. Is there a way to see if there are reallocation going on due to failed sectors? I was having some issues with writing backups to my SD card a while back, but that seemed to be a fluke that I believe is related to the system freezing because even the native file explorer would stop responding for extended time periods when trying to navigate folders on my SD card.

All - thanks for your feedback. I am still hunting for the cause. It's not so bad I need to do a complete re-install yet, but I will likely need to, at least to prepare for post 2019.

Anders

Posted via CB10
    It could certainly be an orphan account. You can force-close Blackberry services as well if you want to test that. For orphan accounts, have you tried downloading this app from BBW?

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...56050/?lang=en

It's designed to remove and clean orphan accounts which cause issues like you describe. (All credit to conite for finding the app and pointing it out on another thread.)
    02-19-19 02:21 PM
    @ajohansson Could it " -pauses-"... possibly be due to high volumes/large sizes of emails (or other social media posts) going to the hub, or too frequent polling? One way to reduce that is to set the email to receive headers only and not the full message. you only get the full message when you open the specific mail item.
    02-20-19 02:02 AM