How do you handle your email attachments in BB10?

I've always liked how simple it is to add attachments to emails in Blackberry 10, the way the OS shows you a real file system and you can attach files from anywhere within it. iOS has finally (only as of 12 & 13) made enough improvements that I would now say it has a 'proper' file system (simple things like creating folder hierarchy, connecting to servers, etc were not possible for many years) rather than dumbed down and hidden away, however I still have difficulties with the workflow for adding attachments to a replies. I know it can be done (long holding in the email body) but I often find attachments added to replies in iOS are often either displayed in the body of the email, rather than a true attachment (it isn't recognized by our automated systems that perform actions when receiving email with attachments), or if attaching from DropBox/OneDrive/Google Drive/etc they'll often show as links to the files instead of attaching the file itself to the email. Also adding attachments to replies feels tacked on rather than baked in (because it was) I know many people who still exit their email client on iOS, open a separate app where the file they want is, to share it via email from there (this was Apple's official solution for years and they're now trained to do this) because they simply don't know they can add attachments to replies. BB10 doesn't have this drawback.

I'd like to use BB10 to handle all my email (I love typing on the classic and I don't use emoji in emails, so it's a perfect match) but a big part of my email workflow is sending attachments of files I'm working on. The problem is that OneDrive/DropBox et al don't work on BB10 anymore, so I've found myself using my iPhone to email myself the attachments I need to get them into the BB10 file manager, in order to email them from BB10. (So what's the point really? I might as well just do it from iOS) Or alternatively ill plug my BB Classic into my Mac and manually transfer a folder full of the things I'm working on to the device, the problem with this is they become separate, siloed files that aren't up to date and don't reflect changes I've made. It's just too time consuming to use either of these methods.

I've done some research about this and it seems my only option is to download third-third party/fourth party apps, which I'm not comfortable with. I'll download third party apps like DropBox from DropBox or OneDrive from Microsoft (or even Blackberry's 'Connect to x' versions of these as I'm already trusting Blackberry by using their device) but I don't want to use some other private person's DropBox/OneDrive implementation for BB10 (regardless if it uses oath2 or not). It just doesn't feel right from a security mindset and I don't the skill to ensure the code is clean. I think I may be able to use WebDAV to mount my Classic as a network drive and sync my files to it that way, but this would only work on LAN and if I'm at home/office anyway I may as well use my Macs with lovely Cherry MX or Topre keyboards. BB Classic is the best mobile keyboard ever IMO (actually the Danger Hiptop/Sidekick 3 is also a contender, but that thing was HUGE compared to the Classic) but no phone can compete with full size mechanical keyboards for typing.

If I could find a way to keep my files in sync so I can attach them to emails, I could see myself using the Classic daily for a long time to come. I enjoy pushing it's buttons. Tapping glass doesn't give me the same satisfaction.

I'd love to know how others are keeping their files in sync in order to attach them to emails in BB10.

How do you solve this?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-19 07:28 PM
    The question of "is it still viable?" is one that you can only really answer for yourself, based on your own personal needs and requirements.

Some folks are willing to do all the work-arounds to keep using BB10, while others are happy to use insecure 3rd-party apps to make it easier - and to them, it's viable. For many other former BB10 users, it hasn't been for a while. The only thing you can say with certainty is that it will only get more difficult to do these things on BB10 going forward, as more protocols and encryption methods and certificates and APIs are changed, leaving BB10 further and further behind.

It's up to you to decide when the work-arounds and risky behavior become too much.
    10-06-19 09:15 PM
    I personally never used any of those cloud options for dealing with attachments. When I used my Z10, If I got an attachment on an email, it's then saved to the phone. But I usually have another email client on my PC to download the same attachment anyway.

Sometimes I was at my house, and if I needed to email a file from my work account, I would just directly copy that file to my to phone from my PC over the USB cable, then attach it. Easy enough and no Dropbox, One Drive, etc., involved.

If I was still using my Z10 regularly today, that's still my way working now. So, yeah, still viable if that was all I was concerned with.
    10-06-19 09:40 PM

I've always liked how simple it is to add attachments to emails in Blackberry 10, the way the OS shows you a real file system and you can attach files from anywhere within it. iOS has finally (only as of 12 & 13) made enough improvements that I would now say it has a 'proper' file system (simple things like creating folder hierarchy, connecting to servers, etc were not possible for many years) rather than dumbed down and hidden away, however I still have difficulties with the workflow for adding attachments to a replies. I know it can be done (long holding in the email body) but I often find attachments added to replies in iOS are often either displayed in the body of the email, rather than a true attachment (it isn't recognized by our automated systems that perform actions when receiving email with attachments), or if attaching from DropBox/OneDrive/Google Drive/etc they'll often show as links to the files instead of attaching the file itself to the email. Also adding attachments to replies feels tacked on rather than baked in (because it was) I know many people who still exit their email client on iOS, open a separate app where the file they want is, to share it via email from there (this was Apple's official solution for years and they're now trained to do this) because they simply don't know they can add attachments to replies. BB10 doesn't have this drawback.

I'd like to use BB10 to handle all my email (I love typing on the classic and I don't use emoji in emails, so it's a perfect match) but a big part of my email workflow is sending attachments of files I'm working on. The problem is that OneDrive/DropBox et al don't work on BB10 anymore, so I've found myself using my iPhone to email myself the attachments I need to get them into the BB10 file manager, in order to email them from BB10. (So what's the point really? I might as well just do it from iOS) Or alternatively ill plug my BB Classic into my Mac and manually transfer a folder full of the things I'm working on to the device, the problem with this is they become separate, siloed files that aren't up to date and don't reflect changes I've made. It's just too time consuming to use either of these methods.

I've done some research about this and it seems my only option is to download third-third party/fourth party apps, which I'm not comfortable with. I'll download third party apps like DropBox from DropBox or OneDrive from Microsoft (or even Blackberry's 'Connect to x' versions of these as I'm already trusting Blackberry by using their device) but I don't want to use some other private person's DropBox/OneDrive implementation for BB10 (regardless if it uses oath2 or not). It just doesn't feel right from a security mindset and I don't the skill to ensure the code is clean. I think I may be able to use WebDAV to mount my Classic as a network drive and sync my files to it that way, but this would only work on LAN and if I'm at home/office anyway I may as well use my Macs with lovely Cherry MX or Topre keyboards. BB Classic is the best mobile keyboard ever IMO (actually the Danger Hiptop/Sidekick 3 is also a contender, but that thing was HUGE compared to the Classic) but no phone can compete with full size mechanical keyboards for typing.

If I could find a way to keep my files in sync so I can attach them to emails, I could see myself using the Classic daily for a long time to come. I enjoy pushing it's buttons. Tapping glass doesn't give me the same satisfaction.

I'd love to know how others are keeping their files in sync in order to attach them to emails in BB10.

How do you solve this?

Posted via CB10
    I'm with young on this. For me, the loss of OneDrive was a huge blow. But I'm still using BB10 as my primary email device.

I use my SD card to manually sync with a folder in my OneDrive that contains all the files I typically attach to emails. It took a little organization to set up, but it addresses my problem. This is how it works:

I have a folder called "BBFiles" in my OneDrive folder, and I COPY files I want to have on my phone to that folder on a daily basis. At the end of each day, I copy that folder onto my SD card. This is a "one-way" sync from my OneDrive to my SD card.

This system allows me to continue using my BB10 phone as my primary device for my attachment-heavy email work flow.

========== Composed and edited on the exceptional BlackBerry VKB on my trusty Z10. Any typographic errors, misspells, or grammatical errors are likely due to my inattention and lack of interest in word-perfect communications on an Internet tech fan forum.
    10-06-19 11:49 PM
    Will be painful with Classic.
    Hit up OneDrive with a browser (Firefox). Download to local SD card then attach.

Depends on how much of work arounds you are willing to endure.

I agree though, even on latest iteration of iOS, it's still a bit clunky to attach files. Do not like.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-19 04:00 PM

How do you solve this?

Posted via CB10
    Hey dexo,

There are actually two ways to accomplish this:

1. Mount your BB10 device as a network drive (WebDAV is not required; this functionality is built into BB10).

2. Use Blackberry Link's Remote File Access feature to provide access to a computer with your local Dropbox/OneDrive/whatever cache. (Yes, Blackberry Link and Remote File Access still work with Windows 10 and I suspect with Macs, though I can test that if you'd like.)

Sounds like option 2 would work better for you yes? It's all through Blackberry Limited, no third-party native apps, no Android apps...all is well!
    10-07-19 06:01 PM
    I'm using dropsync to sync my Dropbox and SD card.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-19 01:27 AM
    I would try OneDrive or Box with MSFlow.

Mail Attachments work well on BB10.

Send them to the cloud folder with an email address you assign them and setup MS Flow to notify you, make copies, share with Box, and track changes to your workflow. Won't have direct file management without some kind of remote protocol.
    10-08-19 10:25 AM
    After Box and OneDrive retirement I use Evernote.
    And I update some selected folders on my Passport SD card when it sits in the dock connected to my desktop.
    Not the best solutions probably and too "manual".
    10-08-19 05:47 PM