So I was thinking, sailfish OS (the Jolla one) is a new OS that has a good community but it lacks features like the hub. So if we get BB10 developers to create a hub replacement on the platform. This project seems very doable as it is a Qt platform so developers don't have to learn anything that new. Also this supports patches so you can patch the UI. But I guess this is just me dreaming of a way to continue the great software if and when BlackBerry will plunge the dagger into the beating heart of BB10.

Any opinions on this, I for one welcome anything non crapdriod or IOS.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    04-08-16 10:42 AM
    Well... I hear you can run Android apps on Sailfish with some level of success. So maybe someone or some group could duplicate what Cobalt has done for non PRIV owners. Allowing us to install HUB and other BB10 like features that the PRIV has onto our Android phones.

But not sure where Sailfish is going as Jolla seems to be running out of investors. And they haven't been able to produce the devices they promised, nor even refund all the money. So not sure any BB10 developers are going to jump from one sinking ship, to one that seems to have sunk while still in dry dock..
    04-08-16 10:53 AM
    Ubuntu Phone also has vultures around it, how about that?
    04-08-16 11:32 AM
    Not tried the Ubuntu phone but as someone who was on Jolla until November or so I can say the platform has a lot of potential. It's being actively worked on, it's open source so we can port it to most hardware. But Intex have partnered with Jolla.

So many new and great platforms are spinning up right now, most of which follow the BlackBerry gesture and Qt model, I do not want to leave my BlackBerry if I can help it but Sailfish is the platform that I will chose over anything else as it is flexible and, quite frankly, has a better community then this one. Everyone is yelling "we are dead" yet only a few are trying to make a difference to change things. As of now I feel this might be the enviable route to go down once things begin to stop working for most.

Yes sailfish is a gamble, but as someone who hates Andriod (a platform I will never willingly use or code on), and feels that the iPhone is just the worst thing to come out of Apple, I will take anything over them (preferably something that has a real keyboard).

If any developers are interested in creating a similar things to this BBM me on 2C12DC86 we can try an build a future with hope of a good mobile platform.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 11:48 AM
    So not sure any BB10 developers are going to jump from one sinking ship, to one that seems to have sunk while still in dry dock..
    Ah, the perfect description of Jolla.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 11:50 AM
    Ah, the perfect description of Jolla.
    You know at least their community cares enough for their OS to keep it going. Something this community doesn't do. This community dream for a continuation but stop it from happening at every possible opportunity. I want to keep these great features alive on a platform that isn't utter crap. As a community we are more powerful if we act like one, instead of giving up without even bloody trying.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by gnh_1; 04-08-16 at 12:20 PM.
    Meenix, moosbb, sirius27 and 1 others like this.
    04-08-16 12:02 PM
    I'm going to take this as a little opportunity to get rid of the myths of sailfish OS and Jolla. Yes their tablet was a failure but it does not mean that the entire company has failed. Jolla is very much alive and actively works on improving Sailfish. Each month I get a new update on my Jolla, and Jolla has always been more open and honest about where it is going, then blackberry ever was or will be. The people on this forum tend to see every thing in the worst possible light. Jolla is a platform with a lot of potential and it has a strong supportive community, yes they have done things people didn't like but no one on their forums has shouted "this is dead".

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 12:29 PM
    Keep the in mind. A lot of Jolla pieces are open source, so other developers can get involved.

Bb10 is not, so even if we wanted to, we couldn't develop for the platform.

Secondly, do you still have your Jolla device? Wanna sell it?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-08-16 12:39 PM
    I am but I am trying to get get people to keep the great things about bb10 alive, albeit on a different platform but if it keeps it from being killed off like the palm pre.

I do have my Jolla but It's one of the few devices that I love too much to sell, but you can get a new Jolla phone from shop.jolla.com for less then �200 or you can get a Nexus 4 from ebay and use both Jolla and Ubuntu touch.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 12:45 PM
    You know at least their community cares enough for their OS to keep it going. Something this community doesn't do. This community dream for a continuation but stop it from happening at every possible opportunity. I want to keep this great features alive and a platform that isn't utter crap. As a community we are more powerful if we act like one, instead of giving up without even bloody trying.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 10 is closed source and it's success depends on sales. OS is a completely different model. I did my bit as a mentally unstable (possibly homicidal) fanatic by recommending BlackBerry 10 devices to clients and also purchasing them in quantities that no sane person could ever consider reasonable. Most people in my family and immediate social group have received BlackBerry devices as Christmas presents, Birthday presents, etc, and yet I still have several in my immediate possession.

Point is, every fanatic on here has probably done the same thing and in the end, it didn't save BlackBerry 10, because a bunch of w*nkers on a forum don't represent the market no matter how well intentioned they are, no matter how psychotic they are, no matter how many bodies they have buried under their house.

But you're right - as a community, maybe there is something we can do; we should kidnap Tim Cook, tie him up in a basement, and then demand that all iOS apps be ported to BlackBerry 10. But I'm not allowed in the same state, so someone else will have to do the grab.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 12:51 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is closed source and it's success depends on sales. OS is a completely different model.
    Point is, every fanatic on here has probably done the same thing and in the end, it didn't save BlackBerry 10,
    Yes that is true but I am not talking about keeping BB10 OS alive, i'm talking about keeping the things that make BB10 great alive. This will be a platform that isn't BlackBerry but will have the BB10 greatness. At the end of the day I am offering a possible solution, which is better then nothing.

But you're right - as a community, maybe there is something we can do; we should kidnap Tim Cook, tie him up in a basement, and then demand that all iOS apps be ported to BlackBerry 10. But I'm not allowed in the same state, so someone else will have to do the grab.
    Good idea
    04-08-16 01:01 PM
    The Turing Phone switched from Android to Sailfish. Sounds interesting, but its priced about the same as the Priv ...

From Engadget Feb. 2016:
    "The Turing Phone starts at $610 and runs on Qualcomm's Snapdragon 801, a chipset that hit the market in 2014. Compared with its fancy liquidmorphium frame, the Turing's guts are "pretty pedestrian," as we noted in July."
    04-08-16 02:27 PM
    True but the Jolla phone/intex aqua fish/fairphone 2 are sailfish supported alternatives that are affordable devices. I would love too see some BlackBerry goodness on this platform, I mean it supports modifications very well, and this can keep it alive.

Posted via CB10
    Meenix likes this.
    04-08-16 02:43 PM
    The Turing is launching with "An Android Appstore". Is that the Amazon store? That would be convenient since just about all of my 'droid apps came from there.
    04-08-16 03:42 PM
    The latest version of sailfish comes with either Amazon and/or Aptoide.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 03:44 PM
    The latest version of sailfish comes with either Amazon and/or Aptoide.

Posted via CB10
    But wouldn't that constitute using evil "Crapdroid"?
    04-08-16 04:09 PM
    But wouldn't that constitute using evil "Crapdroid"?
    The crapdriod runtime is an optional download from the appstore, along with those markets.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 04:12 PM
    I loved the philosophy of OS10. It played well with all platforms without asking for all your data in exchange for its services.

When this goes, apple seems like the lesser evil.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-16 08:48 PM
    Is there a way to get the android BBM onto Sailfish?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 04:48 AM
    Yes, sailfish runs all driod stuff, including google services so you are not limited with any apps. But bringing BlackBerry goodness to it is important to make it a first class alternative.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 08:06 AM
    You know at least their community cares enough for their OS to keep it going. Something this community doesn't do. This community dream for a continuation but stop it from happening at every possible opportunity. I want to keep these great features alive on a platform that isn't utter crap. As a community we are more powerful if we act like one, instead of giving up without even bloody trying.

Posted via CB10
    DUDE!!!!! Blackberry doesn't care about BB10, why should anyone else?
    04-09-16 11:42 AM
    Jolla has always been more open and honest about where it is going, then blackberry ever was or will be
    Perhaps that has a lot to do with the current sentiment within this community.
    04-09-16 11:48 AM
    BB10 OS should work on having an open source dev. Or at least a very effective Android porting,
    sirius27 likes this.
    04-09-16 12:54 PM
    Sailfish has potential to evolve into a a great OS but has many constraints including the app gap. If they are able to address these issues it can be a BB10 replacement . Having said that , BB10 will be around for atleast couple of years before they call quits.
    04-10-16 03:35 AM
    This couple of years I hope is a figure of speech that allows for more than just two.
    I hope I need to replace BBOS when phones are going to become cochlear implants/headphones connected to the visor .
    I've just offered my wife a Classic, and she is thrilled by her BBOS 10 experience.
    The hub is amazing and I can't think of a replacement as most of us. Calendar and agenda are standard in the business.
    Android can be nice, but so far it doesn't surpass BB in my usage, it seems so very impractical, and inefficient.
    Last edited by Laumi; 04-10-16 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Relevance and accuracy.
    04-10-16 06:23 AM
44 12