This is true no one wants to leave it but no one also wants to make the good things about bb10 live on another platform which is sad.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 07:58 AM
    So I was thinking, sailfish OS (the Jolla one) is a new OS that has a good community but it lacks features like the hub. So if we get BB10 developers to create a hub replacement on the platform. This project seems very doable as it is a Qt platform so developers don't have to learn anything that new. Also this supports patches so you can patch the UI. But I guess this is just me dreaming of a way to continue the great software if and when BlackBerry will plunge the dagger into the beating heart of BB10.
    Posted via CB10
    Hi gnh_1! I recently got my hands on Sailfish OS (I wish it was 2.0 :/ , but oh well). It is an amazing OS, with an elegant UI and a fluid gesture based system.

A native Hub for Sailfish would be fantastic and is certainly doable.The SDK is pretty neat ( Sailfish Silica is quite good! ).
    I have been working on Hub10 (A BB10 style hub for BB10, driven by gestures and community requested features) since the last couple months and I am definitely considering rolling out a Hub for Sailfish after the upcoming Hub10 release

Will BBM you and we can talk more. Also, shout-out to @Meenix for introducing me to Sailfish!
    Meenix, gnh_1, elfabio80 and 1 others like this.
    04-11-16 10:42 AM
    Hi sirus27, I am looking forward to working with you on this great project.

Posted via CB10
    Meenix likes this.
    04-11-16 01:04 PM
    WHY??? What advantages does <name your alternative> have over BB10?? Honestly, the only weakness of BB10 was lack of apps compared to iOS or Android. It even has a pretty decent option to run many android apps, so any other alternative platform has to address exactly the same issue. Arguably BB was the 3rd horse in this race, so if it could not pull it off, what makes you think anyone else can?
    BTW, I would like to remind everyone BB10 still works, it has not been pulled, there are still at least 2 updates in the pipe. Nothing to stop you from developing for BB10. No EOL has been announced. You can still get at BB7 dev tools from BB so that's a sign how long you can keep going with it.

Also note that WinXP, released 2001, survived many years with just updates. Our company just finished migrating everyone off XP a bit over a year ago, well over 10 years life. There's something to be said for a stable, capable platform and BB10 is quite capable. Our only concern is getting hardware that will run this OS.
    sid89 and anon(9184750) like this.
    04-11-16 08:56 PM
    You lost me at "Crapdroid" .

OS wars are so lame.
    Uzi likes this.
    04-11-16 09:06 PM
    Sailfish sounds interesting and I'd really be interested in trying it out. And if it was possible to BB10 it, that also sounds intriguing.

However, I'm not sure I see how it is any more likely to be sustainable in the long term. Surely it faces the same pressures as BB10 in getting market share. It's success will be dependent on leveraging people from IOS and android. Seems unlikely.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-16 08:25 AM
    Sailfish isn't targeting to take down IOS or crapdriod. And apps are really not an issue as the Android runtime works better then the one on bb10 so there is app for problem.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 02:51 AM
    I agree: The runtime of Sailfish OS Rums better than the one of BB10, but I like BB10 much more because it's better for communication. The hub is one of the best features or maybe the best and I like the pkb of my PP SE. For playing android games I use my Jolla and I'm excited what updates will come for Sailfish OS. Now I would even prefer android over it but I hope they develop it in the right direction. The worst problem is that after a short time the apps are shut down by the OS because of the lack of memory and I think the runtime is the problem of it. A restart of it helps and there is an option to do so in the settings but sometimes it doesn't work and I have to restart the Phone. That's really annoying! But the runtime is still better because on BB10 I can't run all apps perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 02:25 PM
    Sailfish isn't targeting to take down IOS or crapdriod. And apps are really not an issue as the Android runtime works better then the one on bb10 so there is app for problem.

Posted via CB10
    Jolla is clearly struggling, from what I've read. If they are to be successful, they need more customers. BB10 couldn't win over IOS or android devotees, and is as good as dead. They might not want to 'take them down', but they will need a reasonable portion of their market share to develop a lasting, quality product. When the money runs out, it's over. A small group of enthusiasts might have got the ball rolling, but it will soon stop without customers.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 04:40 PM
    You know at least their community cares enough for their OS to keep it going. Something this community doesn't do. This community dream for a continuation but stop it from happening at every possible opportunity. I want to keep these great features alive on a platform that isn't utter crap. As a community we are more powerful if we act like one, instead of giving up without even bloody trying.

Posted via CB10
    AMEN!

Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 04:43 PM
    I agree: The runtime of Sailfish OS Rums better than the one of BB10, but I like BB10 much more because it's better for communication. The hub is one of the best features or maybe the best and I like the pkb of my PP SE. For playing android games I use my Jolla and I'm excited what updates will come for Sailfish OS. Now I would even prefer android over it but I hope they develop it in the right direction. The worst problem is that after a short time the apps are shut down by the OS because of the lack of memory and I think the runtime is the problem of it. A restart of it helps and there is an option to do so in the settings but sometimes it doesn't work and I have to restart the Phone. That's really annoying! But the runtime is still better because on BB10 I can't run all apps perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    What is the runtime version on sailfish and was it created by sailfish or a dev?..

PS: must be Jolla, I would buy a Jolla tablet in a heartbeat to try it out. My passport is staying attached to my hand.
    Posted via CB10
    04-13-16 04:45 PM
    If it is of interest to anyone, a quick prototype that I made last night (The hub on Sailfish could be something like this):

Meenix, The_Passporter and Q10Bold like this.
    04-14-16 03:54 AM
    Jolla was struggling but since the license deals with intex, jolla are not making handsets they are only create sailfish and let other companies do the hardware. So they aren't struggling as much as people think, and it's an open source project so as long as there are enthusiasts it will survive.

The Android runtime was put on there by jolla, but would be great if a Dev could bring a better one to bb10.

Posted via CB10
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    04-14-16 03:57 AM
    If it is of interest to anyone, a quick prototype that I made last night (The hub on Sailfish could be something like this):

I was thinking of creating a patch that would put the hub into the notification area, so you can access it from any app.

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter and Meenix like this.
    04-14-16 05:03 AM
    Also looking at Sailfish OS.
    The biggest issue so far seems that in the community ports not all software pieces are included (e.g. Active Sync) due to licensing issues.
    So for the best experience you would have to get a phone that ships with Sailfish out of the box....
    And from what I've seen there are none available right now...

Posted via Passport running BlackBerry OS10
    04-14-16 05:39 AM
    Wow! Count me in!!
    04-14-16 05:46 AM
    I was thinking of creating a patch that would put the hub into the notification area, so you can access it from any app.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that would be pretty good. Maybe the right area (Partner Space area) can be patched; that way, you can access the stock notifications area on the left too. Will look into this.
    Meenix likes this.
    04-14-16 05:54 AM
    When someone said the BB community has given up on the BB10 OS I have to laugh. BB gave up on its OS when it chose Android for one of their phones.

Now my wife is someone who uses her smartphone for email, text, Twitter and some surfing so her Q10 will suit her fine until everything stops working.

I needed a bit more in social media and the 3rd party apps were OK but not good.

I had to give up on BB10 because it simply didn't work anymore. The company gave up trying to improve it and went with the easier path. As a business I understand that. As a user it pissed me off.
    Meenix likes this.
    04-14-16 06:00 AM
    When someone said the BB community has given up on the BB10 OS I have to laugh. BB gave up on its OS when it chose Android for one of their phones.

Now my wife is someone who uses her smartphone for email, text, Twitter and some surfing so her Q10 will suit her fine until everything stops working.

I needed a bit more in social media and the 3rd party apps were OK but not good.

I had to give up on BB10 because it simply didn't work anymore. The company gave up trying to improve it and went with the easier path. As a business I understand that. As a user it pissed me off.
    This also annoys me which is why I think if we can't have the right thing then we can made the closest thing work right.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-16 06:35 AM
44 12