Why did I just think of this now? I remember when BlackBerry bought QNX before Playbook, is today's BlackBerry 10 OS QNX?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-19-16 01:05 PM
    Underneath the user interface, yes.
    anon(55900) likes this.
    07-19-16 01:13 PM
    If you think of BB10 as a big building, QNX is the foundation upon which it was built - but QNX by itself is not even remotely a smartphone OS, and probably represents less than 10% of the overall code for BB10. Like that hypothetical building, the foundation is definitely important, but the foundation itself is NOT a building.
    anon(55900) likes this.
    07-19-16 10:18 PM
    Why did I just think of this now? I remember when BlackBerry bought QNX before Playbook, is today's BlackBerry 10 OS QNX?

To answer your first question, I guess because you have not been paying attention.
    This very thing gets a lot of coverage here.
    07-19-16 10:41 PM
    To answer your first question, I guess because you have not been paying attention.
    This very thing gets a lot of coverage here.
    I'm grateful for your insightful and intelligent response, it's contributors just like you who make CB such a warm forum to participate in!
    07-20-16 06:16 PM
    I'm grateful for your insightful and intelligent response, it's contributors just like you who make CB such a warm forum to participate in!
    Hey, I like to help and its always nice to know its appreciated.
    07-20-16 06:23 PM
    #sarcastic

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-20-16 09:58 PM
    You mean #sarcasm?
    07-21-16 02:19 AM

BB10 isn't what many here expected of a QNX powered OS....

The PMI Services and Android Runtime I think put an end to what QNX should have been. Thus the need for 2GB or RAM and a 3000mAh battery.
    anon(55900) likes this.
    07-21-16 07:42 AM
    BB10 isn't what many here expected of a QNX powered OS....

The PMI Services and Android Runtime I think put an end to what QNX should have been. Thus the need for 2GB or RAM and a 3000mAh battery.
    I remember it seemed like when qnx was acquired it was assumed it would be used to create a new phone os after os7. It seemed to be the prevalent thought and then Playbook came out.
    07-21-16 07:46 AM
    I remember it seemed like when qnx was acquired it was assumed it would be used to create a new phone os after os7. It seemed to be the prevalent thought and then Playbook came out.
    QNX was used... but the prevalent "hope" here was for something that just never came. Some were thinking we'd have a phone that would last days on one charge that would only need 512 MB or RAM, that would never crash the phone or need a battery pull....

BB10 is the foundation as Troy said, but the issue is the rest of the building is more like a bunch or miss matched "modular construction units" that just got slapped together.

I think that given time that BlackBerry would have refined the PMI Services into a more QNX design... and if things had gone as planned, the Android Runtime would have been phased out and most developers would have gone native.... in a few years we might have seen a very optimized and powerful pure QNX OS.

Too be honest that first PlayBook OS... no email, no runtime.... was powerful.
    07-21-16 08:13 AM
    You guys are conflating Operating System and User Interface (or application layer) .

Definition from Google:
    the software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks, executing applications, and controlling peripherals.
    QNX is the OS, BB10, Ford Sync 3, etc are the user interface.

Linux is the OS, Android etc are the user interface.

BSD is the OS, Mac OS is the user interface.

You can run Windows 10 the OS on a Raspberry Pi, for free, but you don't get the Windows 10 user interface.

I know it is fashionable to to ignore details now days, but details are important when you are engaging in this kind of discussion. There are implementations of QNX that have the properties you seek, but they dont support a lot of things people demand like streaming video.

My wife gets several days use on a single charge with her Leap. A friend and colleague gets several days from his Passport. Neither have ever had to reboot their phones. How well an "OS" performs is heavily influenced by the application that are run on it, and by how it is used.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    07-21-16 04:11 PM
    That's not in fact the case. All of those "UIs" you've mentioned have made significant changes to the original OS they were based on. You can't run native QNX apps on BB10, and you can't run native Linux apps on Android - but even that is only a small part of what was changed. As I said, those original base OSs were the foundation, but a foundation is NOT a building.
    07-21-16 09:29 PM
    Well that really depends on what you mean by "native". I could say you can't run native Ubuntu applications on CentOS, but they both use the Linux OS.

But you absolutely can run native QNX applications on BB10 and Tablet OS. Again depending on what you call a native application you may have to compile it to run on BB10. But software I'm writing at work this moment will run natively on Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, Windows (7 through 10), QNX, Android, and probably on Mac OS and many others that I haven't tested. In most cases it would require compiling on the specific platform, or cross compiling for that platform. The only real difficulties arise when you have to write a user interface that takes advantage of the native features of the platform above the OS level like Cascades, Qt5, Windows, X11-Gnome, etc. On the other hand if you know how to write a user interface that is supported on all those platforms it is a fairly simple matter of reconfiguration and compiling. Most of that can be automated.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    07-22-16 03:54 AM