Look I am a diehard BB fan - love my PB and can't wait to get my hands on a BB10 phone.
    BUT, unless someone can definitively tell me that a BB10 phone will tether, will bridge to my PB, I won't be making the jump from my Torch.
    Can anyone point me to a link from BB the company or from someone there who knows for certain that the two devices will connect as above, and that my PB will not become a boat anchor if I jump to the BB10.
    Thank you
    Jennifer T likes this.
    01-16-13 03:40 PM
    Nobody knows 100% but it's almost a given that this feature will still be there. We won't know as an absolute until the 30th.
    01-16-13 03:43 PM
    To the OP: Interesting that use use bridge some much. Curious to know the scenarios. Not disputing the need, just interested.

When I had a Bold 9900, I always found Bridge kind of the weird oddity that I didn't use much. To be truthful though, I got my PlayBook not long before 2.0 was out. So I only found myself using bridge once in a blue moon and only in certain circumstances, like when I couldn't connect to WiFi; or when I took a call on the BlackBerry and needed to look at a doc that was forwarded ... I'd do the call on the phone and view on the PlayBook. Was faster than waiting for my laptop to boot up.

But other than that, not much. Curious to know how you use it?
    01-16-13 05:04 PM
    Look I am a diehard BB fan - love my PB and can't wait to get my hands on a BB10 phone.
    BUT, unless someone can definitively tell me that a BB10 phone will tether, will bridge to my PB, I won't be making the jump from my Torch.
    Can anyone point me to a link from BB the company or from someone there who knows for certain that the two devices will connect as above, and that my PB will not become a boat anchor if I jump to the BB10.
    Thank you
    There has been no confirmation, but I would say it's a pretty safe bet that bridge will be built right in to BB10. Either way, your confirmation will come January 30th. You aren't expected, or able to buy one before then anyway...

To the OP: Interesting that use use bridge some much. Curious to know the scenarios. Not disputing the need, just interested.

When I had a Bold 9900, I always found Bridge kind of the weird oddity that I didn't use much. To be truthful though, I got my PlayBook not long before 2.0 was out. So I only found myself using bridge once in a blue moon and only in certain circumstances, like when I couldn't connect to WiFi; or when I took a call on the BlackBerry and needed to look at a doc that was forwarded ... I'd do the call on the phone and view on the PlayBook. Was faster than waiting for my laptop to boot up.

But other than that, not much. Curious to know how you use it?
    I use bridge all the time.. the "open on" command and the remote control feature are staples in my daily life.. get an email... reading it on my blackberry.. oh look a spreadsheet is attached, not gonna look at that on my 9900's screen.. click, open on playbook.. spreadsheet launches and I continue about my work. Got some movies loaded one my playbook.. feel like loading on up at home, hook it up to the plasma via hdmi, and sit back on the couch using my 9900 as a remote.

if you are talking about the bridge apps, like mail, contacts etc.. then no, I don't expect to have a need for those personally once I'm on bb10.. the playbook will natively sync my mail/contacts/bbm over the the internet, except for text messages i guess.. the playbook does not have a phone number. The other instance would be for someone who's on a BES server with their blackberry and doesn't have access to retrieve their corporate mail any other way.. that used to be the case with a company I worked for.. we could acess OWA from within the company intranet, and get mail on our blackberries, but if you tried to access the mail via the internet you were blocked. Bridge would have been the only method for viewing email on the playbook outside the office.
    01-16-13 05:16 PM
    I use bridge a lot. When I'm on my tablet doing things I don't have to stop to respond to text message or BBM. I love how my phone can just sit across the room and I can get things done on the phone from the tablet. Of course being able to use internet when out and about away from a wifi source is great. Bridge is anything but odd IMO its awesome

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-16-13 05:21 PM
    I use Bridge a lot. The train ride to school is over an hour and I always take my PlayBook with me. Having Bridge is awesome because it means I don't have to pay a penny extra to use my PB's amazing browser when I don't have access to Wifi. I also use SMS through Bridge when my PB and BB are separated but still within Bluetooth range.

We've seen images of the BB10 with the Bridge icon, though I think they're older. I'd be surprised if Bridge wasn't on BB10 and hopefully we'll get some new features (like a remote lock)!
    Spencerdl and RubberChicken76 like this.
    01-16-13 05:32 PM
    I was also wondering about BRIDGE and BB10. I would hope RIM realizes the importance of this feature now that they have spoiled us . Bridge is a way of mobile life for me now and can't and don't want to give it up. It just makes life a lot easier especially while I'm using my OEM PlayBook Keyboard.
    01-16-13 07:08 PM
    Thank you

I know that I'm absolutely nobody, and you have no reason to believe me, but I've seen it, last week. It will be there. Your new Z10, however, might still render your PB a boat anchor.
    01-16-13 08:26 PM
    Bridge won't be going anywhere. It's just going to evolve and get better.
    anon(3896606) and djdragon like this.
    01-17-13 02:02 PM
    I use my bridge constantly from my 9810, if I am on my PlayBook it is bridged. Especially with the last update that now lets you SMS form the PB. It is great and I find myself grabbing my PB to reply to BBM's and SMS instead of my phone most of the time.
    nappp and djdragon like this.
    01-17-13 11:25 PM
    I know that I'm absolutely nobody, and you have no reason to believe me, but I've seen it, last week. It will be there. Your new Z10, however, might still render your PB a boat anchor.
    Why would it render the PB a boat anchor??? :/
    01-18-13 03:16 PM
    Bridge is awesome. I love that I can use my PlayBook to get online using my BB, with no tethering fee. Of course, when I am able to upgrade to the Z10, it'll be 4G and Verizon has free tethering for 4G plans, so I'd still have a way to get online. But bridge is a whole suit of things, and I think it really is a precursor to what M2M (machine to machine) interaction will be with BB10. I think RIM is going to really bring it to a whole new level.
    01-18-13 03:31 PM
    Why would it render the PB a boat anchor??? :/

A bit of a stretch on my part. Just pointing out that the Z10 will do everything the PB does and then some, only better. PB's only advantages imho are a larger screen for viewing videos and/or gaming.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-18-13 06:45 PM
    A bit of a stretch on my part. Just pointing out that the Z10 will do everything the PB does and then some, only better. PB's only advantages imho are a larger screen for viewing videos and/or gaming.
    they are compliments to each other. bridge will still have some great uses
    01-18-13 07:13 PM
    Contractor operating out of Toronto, ON. My Playbook is my office my laptop and desk. Through the bridge i practically run my business opening attachments, spreadsheets, pictures and PDFs. I can easily whip up a contract or sales invoice and send it right off through bridge. The bridge runs off my 9900 and its sole purpose is to provide a connection and take calls. Most of the day its holstered as i take calls through my Plantronics Voyager Legend (AMAZING BT HEADSET). I Text and BBM through Bridge!
    Without bridge and my Playbook id have to lug around a laptop and wifi hotspot all day! Bridge is ESSENTIAL to my Business needs!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CMZ_DL; 01-18-13 at 11:31 PM.
    01-18-13 11:14 PM
    I have read and enjoyed this site but haven't contributed to discussions. However I am anxious to see the new BB10. And my 2 cents worth is the BBBridge is an awesome tool. The best thing, obviously is no need to pay the extra "fees" to use the Playbook. We get charged enough for this, that and the other as it is. So the selling point for me when I bought the Playbook, approx 2 yrs ago, was the fact that the bridge could aid in using this when I was traveling or unable to be close to wi-fi. So you're right, it's a great tool to use with the Playbook. I doubt if BBerry would take that away after it being a great selling point for the Pbook. Happy Sunday!
    DeeLishusOne and jakie55 like this.
    01-20-13 11:45 AM
    Contractor operating out of Toronto, ON. My Playbook is my office my laptop and desk. Through the bridge i practically run my business opening attachments, spreadsheets, pictures and PDFs. I can easily whip up a contract or sales invoice and send it right off through bridge. The bridge runs off my 9900 and its sole purpose is to provide a connection and take calls. Most of the day its holstered as i take calls through my Plantronics Voyager Legend (AMAZING BT HEADSET). I Text and BBM through Bridge!
    Without bridge and my Playbook id have to lug around a laptop and wifi hotspot all day! Bridge is ESSENTIAL to my Business needs!

Wow, truly awsome! Very impressed...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-20-13 01:54 PM
    I use bridge quite often when bandwidth is little to nothing, usually from big uploads (vlogs). The cellular connection and BIS kicks arse.
    01-20-13 07:03 PM
    the only issue i can imagine is that bb10 may not have been enabled to bridge with playbook Os as playbook will be getting bb10 at some point.
    in that case bridge may be unavailable until bb10 hits playbook.
    the playbook os is not the same as bb10, before someone says that.
    of course noone knows for certain until we actually get the devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-21-13 04:48 AM
    Well, it's got to work under the following scenarios that it currently doesn't pre-release:

BB10 phone to OS2.0 PB
    BB10 phone to BB10 PB (when it comes)
    OS5/6/7 phone to BB10 PB (when it comes)

I would be surprised if any of these were not supported.
    01-21-13 04:58 AM
    the only issue i can imagine is that bb10 may not have been enabled to bridge with playbook Os as playbook will be getting bb10 at some point.
    in that case bridge may be unavailable until bb10 hits playbook.
    the playbook os is not the same as bb10, before someone says that.
    of course noone knows for certain until we actually get the devices.

I know for certain. But you don't have to believe me.
    01-21-13 05:43 AM
    I know for certain. But you don't have to believe me.
    i assume you have a dev alpha?
    i will take your word for it.

i was hoping it wouldnt work, in the hopes that that meant the playbook gets bb10 sooner rather than later

01-21-13 07:49 AM
    i assume you have a dev alpha?
    i will take your word for it.

i was hoping it wouldnt work, in the hopes that that meant the playbook gets bb10 sooner rather than later

Again, you don't have to believe me (I hardly believe myself sometimes), but it won't be on the PB for 3-6 months. But I hope I'm wrong.
    01-21-13 04:38 PM
    The Bridge is cooked right into the OS! No need to worry!! GEEZ people!!
    ronconet likes this.
    01-21-13 08:22 PM
    Really? do you honestly think that the thousands of people working on developing BB10 would go ahead and design a new product and then go "oh ****...we forgot the bridge"

People just have to chill...I know its close to the launch date and now everyone is nervous.

I'm waiting for the "Will it be able to send email" thread.
    Banco likes this.
    01-22-13 07:36 AM
38 12