I have a Passport that is stuck in some sort of limbo. It seems it won't do a fresh/hard reboot.

Device: BB OG Passport SQW100-1. OS: 10.3.something (can't remember and can't check; I believe it was the latest version as of the last quarter of 2016). I am posting this in the generic BB10 section (instead of the Passport section) because this issue may be independent of the actual BB10 phone model.

I am going to detail the issues I am finding in a numbered way, for easier follow up.

Symptoms:

1. After booting up, the screen displays the phone keypad to dial an emergency number. On top, a red banner states "emergency calls only". Swiping up makes it ask for the device password. I type it, then it shows the calls log screen with "no recent calls". Attempting to switch to the "Contacts" tab takes about 30 seconds, then asks for the first contact to be added (it was not empty). Trying to go into settings from this app yields no result.

2. Swiping up again, I see 4 frames open, in the style that they come up after rebooting the phone and it (pre?)loads the previously opened apps: 1) weather app, 2) whats app, 3) device manager, 4) phone.

3. I can close those 4 frames. Upon reboot they will be there again. The only I can reopen is the Phone app.

4. I can swipe right and explore what apps are installed, including folders, in a fluid manner.

5. Trying to open any app (except the Phone app) will result in an instantly opened-then-closed frame.

6. I cannot swipe left to the Hub. Swipe from bottom-to-right (to the hub) yields a black screen.

7. I can swipe down to quick settings menu, but very limited actions produce any result.

8. These work: wifi, notifications, GPS, alarm, bluetooth, flashlight (the led turns on), flight mode.

9. These don't work: settings, brightness (greyed out), hotspot (icon turns blue, but the corresponding icon on the top bar doesn't show up), night mode (swipe down motion of the screen starts and then goes back up immediately), battery saving mode (it is always on).

10. Interestingly, PocketSafe is installed and it responds when covering the proximity sensor, by popping up the 1-2-3-4 unlock dialog.

11. Battery takes way longer to charge (with the original charger), usually after 70% is super slow, and if connected to the computer, it even drains faster than it charges.

Troubleshooting attempts:

12. Link starts up as it detects the phone is connected and its PIN. Phone shows up as "Connected", but with the message that it "Cannont Communicate with Device". Message pops up on device saying that is connected to the computer.

13. Blend detects the phone when connected through USB. It quickly displays "Attached" while starting up the connection. Then keeps on looping between "Discovering" and "Attached / Pease wait."

14. BB Device Manager displays the device as connected and its IPv4 address.

15. Sachesi stays on "Detected 1 Blackberry USB device in Autodetect mode. Talking to 3 possible devices".

16. DBBT shows no sign of detection.

17. Rebooting with the long Power-button press yields no change. Similarly, leaving it off for 2 months, so that the battery is fully empty, would also yield no change.

18. I tried different combinations of computers, operating systems (MacOS, Win 8.1, Win 10), USB cables (including the BB original), and USB ports. In those machines, Link and the other utilities properly work with a Q10.

Goal:

19. Boot the phone and use it normally! At least, get data from it. I would deeply appreciate any ideas on what might be happening here and what other things I could try to do.

20. I would like to avoid an autoloader at this point.

21. I have some data in the phone that was not backed up, that I would like to attempt to retrieve. This includes several different types of documents that were stored in the phone memory.

22. I am aware of good backup practices, as well as of the limitations of using a BB10 device in 2019; while I understand the typical advice given to others in this forum, I would rather skip that kind of recommendations in this specific topic.

Thank you for reading this far!
    Last edited by iled; 11-04-19 at 05:00 PM. Reason: add detail
    11-04-19 04:56 PM
    I have a Passport that is stuck in some sort of limbo. It seems it won't do a fresh/hard reboot.

Device: BB OG Passport SQW100-1. OS: 10.3.something (can't remember and can't check; I believe it was the latest version as of the last quarter of 2016). I am posting this in the generic BB10 section (instead of the Passport section) because this issue may be independent of the actual BB10 phone model.

I am going to detail the issues I am finding in a numbered way, for easier follow up.

Symptoms:

1. After booting up, the screen displays the phone keypad to dial an emergency number. On top, a red banner states "emergency calls only". Swiping up makes it ask for the device password. I type it, then it shows the calls log screen with "no recent calls". Attempting to switch to the "Contacts" tab takes about 30 seconds, then asks for the first contact to be added (it was not empty). Trying to go into settings from this app yields no result.

2. Swiping up again, I see 4 frames open, in the style that they come up after rebooting the phone and it (pre?)loads the previously opened apps: 1) weather app, 2) whats app, 3) device manager, 4) phone.

3. I can close those 4 frames. Upon reboot they will be there again. The only I can reopen is the Phone app.

4. I can swipe right and explore what apps are installed, including folders, in a fluid manner.

5. Trying to open any app (except the Phone app) will result in an instantly opened-then-closed frame.

6. I cannot swipe left to the Hub. Swipe from bottom-to-right (to the hub) yields a black screen.

7. I can swipe down to quick settings menu, but very limited actions produce any result.

8. These work: wifi, notifications, GPS, alarm, bluetooth, flashlight (the led turns on), flight mode.

9. These don't work: settings, brightness (greyed out), hotspot (icon turns blue, but the corresponding icon on the top bar doesn't show up), night mode (swipe down motion of the screen starts and then goes back up immediately), battery saving mode (it is always on).

10. Interestingly, PocketSafe is installed and it responds when covering the proximity sensor, by popping up the 1-2-3-4 unlock dialog.

11. Battery takes way longer to charge (with the original charger), usually after 70% is super slow, and if connected to the computer, it even drains faster than it charges.

Troubleshooting attempts:

12. Link starts up as it detects the phone is connected and its PIN. Phone shows up as "Connected", but with the message that it "Cannont Communicate with Device". Message pops up on device saying that is connected to the computer.

13. Blend detects the phone when connected through USB. It quickly displays "Attached" while starting up the connection. Then keeps on looping between "Discovering" and "Attached / Pease wait."

14. BB Device Manager displays the device as connected and its IPv4 address.

15. Sachesi stays on "Detected 1 Blackberry USB device in Autodetect mode. Talking to 3 possible devices".

16. DBBT shows no sign of detection.

17. Rebooting with the long Power-button press yields no change.

18. I tried different combinations of computers, operating systems (MacOS, Win 8.1, Win 10), USB cables (including the BB original), and USB ports. In those machines, Link and the other utilities properly work with a Q10.

Goal:

19. Boot the phone and use it normally! At least, get data from it. I would deeply appreciate any ideas on what might be happening here and what other things I could try to do.

20. I would like to avoid an autoloader at this point.

21. I have some data in the phone that was not backed up, that I would like to attempt to retrieve. This includes several different types of documents that were stored in the phone memory.

22. I am aware of good backup practices, as well as of the limitations of using a BB10 device in 2019; while I appreciate the typical advice given to others in this forum, I would rather skip that kind of recommendations in this specific topic.

Thank you for reading this far!
    I see absolutely no alternative to an autoloader at this point.

https://mega.nz/#!1NZ1SQBB!yL_ZV5UFz...1-Opwv7f6JCxhM
    11-04-19 04:59 PM
    I see absolutely no alternative to an autoloader at this point.

https://mega.nz/#!1NZ1SQBB!yL_ZV5UFz...1-Opwv7f6JCxhM
    Thank you, Conite. I am preparing to do that, for I appreciate the direct link to the latest version.

I would still like to see if anyone else have other ideas.
    11-04-19 05:04 PM
    Thank you, Conite. I am preparing to do that, for I appreciate the direct link to the latest version.

I would still like to see if anyone else have other ideas.
    My list of ideas;

1. Hold volume up and down buttons simultaneously until phone reboots, then test.

2. Hold power button down for a little bit, cycling through a few red light blinks to try and wiggle the wrench out of the gears (no longer than 10 minutes though). Then test.

3. I'm afraid that's it, autoloader is next.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-19 05:34 PM
    You have been very thorough and described everything well. An autoloader is your only choice imo.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-19 06:56 PM
    Thank you, Ben and Brookie.

1. Hold volume up and down buttons simultaneously until phone reboots, then test.
    I thought this was the same as holding down the power button. I gave it a try. It rebooted into the same state.

2. Hold power button down for a little bit, cycling through a few red light blinks to try and wiggle the wrench out of the gears (no longer than 10 minutes though). Then test.
    I held (with a string) the power button for 10 min. It went through several cycles. When I released the string, it completed the boot cycle and went into the same state as above.
    11-04-19 07:38 PM
    Thank you, Ben and Brookie.

I thought this was the same as holding down the power button. I gave it a try. It rebooted into the same state.

I held (with a string) the power button for 10 min. It went through several cycles. When I released the string, it completed the boot cycle and went into the same state as above.
    Hi iled,

I suspect an autoloader would be your best approach at this point, unfortunately. There is clearly something messed up with the phone's implementation of the OS. I suspect the device is either somehow in demo mode or is locked via parental controls. The only other thing that makes sense is that the device is running a developer OS and not a normal retail one. In any of these cases an autoloader is your best and most painless way to restore full phone functionality.

While you certainly can use conite's link, here's another one you may find more helpful, as it does not require you to extract the EXE:

https://mega.nz/#!xwRzyQDL!dk3CzEt1C...7qbWeZLpqHoEWI

However, using an autoloader will completely wipe all your data, so BEFORE you run the autoloader you'll want to back things up as you suggest. Under the circumstances there are two means of doing this:

1. Mount your Passport as a network drive and copy files off from there, if files are all you need.

2. If you need data, purchase and download Ultimate Backup from Runisoft and back the data up to your SD card if you have one. You can then restore it after running the autoloader through the same means.

Let me know if you need any help with how-tos on either of these options or anything else; happy to assist in getting your Passport back to normal as quickly as possible.
    11-05-19 02:31 PM
    The only other thing that makes sense is that the device is running a developer OS and not a normal retail one.
    This is what I was thinking after reading the OP's post.
    11-05-19 02:35 PM
    This is what I was thinking after reading the OP's post.
    That’s what I thought...

Seriously, no, I have no idea but I’m hungry and this constant techspeak isn’t helping...

But remembering everyone installing BB10 Dev OS back in the day was always causing problems. Lucky for me, I’m clueless in that regard. I’m fortunate to complete a 32 second reboot successfully... ;-D
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-05-19 05:47 PM
    I didn't think he had a developer OS... as it seems he has been using it and it has data on it that he wants to retrieve without reinstalling the OS. Developer OS really isn't usable so he wouldn't have a bunch of data he needs to recover.

But either way the solution is reloading the OS, there just isn't much of a recovery option with BB10 once it gets corrupted.

The device does sometimes "connect" to the PC... so I would try a non-destructive installation with Sachesi. Maybe it will connect enough to load it???? Worth a try, but slim chance.
    11-06-19 08:29 AM
    I didn't think he had a developer OS... as it seems he has been using it and it has data on it that he wants to retrieve without reinstalling the OS. Developer OS really isn't usable so he wouldn't have a bunch of data he needs to recover.
    Good point.
    11-06-19 09:35 AM
    Sorry for the delay in my response.

It is correct, I do not have a dev OS. This was a working Passport. I think the only update it had was OTA.

One day, I was using the hot-spot. I reached out to the quick settings menu, and turned off the hot-spot from there. Accidentally, I tapped twice in the icon, the phone crashed, and rebooted in the state that I've described. I'm not sure if it was related to the hot-spot, that might have been pure coincidence.

@TrumpetTiger, how could I map the phone as a network drive if I can't reach any settings? The phone does connect to wifi networks, but only if the credentials were already stored.

Any other app based solutions would not work, it won't open any app.

I was also hoping for a non destructive approach through Sachesi. For some reason it doesn't reach a state where any function would work. Are there any tips or tricks for when there are issues connecting through Sachesi? I saw some comments on github, but those seemed more related to the computer side and not the phone.
    11-06-19 10:31 PM
    If all else fails, before you run an Autoloader could you do a non-destructive Blitz upgrade instead to 10.3.3.3216? There is a chance this could work if you are currently on a version below this, as it replaces files but leaves your personal data on the phone. It might update the part of the OS that is causing this trouble.

If Blitz doesn't work then yes, a destructive Autoloader is your only option.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-19 05:13 AM

It is correct, I do not have a dev OS. This was a working Passport. I think the only update it had was OTA.

One day, I was using the hot-spot. I reached out to the quick settings menu, and turned off the hot-spot from there. Accidentally, I tapped twice in the icon, the phone crashed, and rebooted in the state that I've described. I'm not sure if it was related to the hot-spot, that might have been pure coincidence.

@TrumpetTiger, how could I map the phone as a network drive if I can't reach any settings? The phone does connect to wifi networks, but only if the credentials were already stored.

I was also hoping for a non destructive approach through Sachesi. For some reason it doesn't reach a state where any function would work. Are there any tips or tricks for when there are issues connecting through Sachesi? I saw some comments on github, but those seemed more related to the computer side and not the phone.
    Try connecting with a USB Cable instead of WiFi.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-07-19 09:06 AM
    @jamescarruthers thanks. That might be a good idea, but don't Blitz updates require Sachesi? As I described above, I haven't been able to fully connect through Sachesi.

@bb10adopter111 thanks. I have tried different USB cables and ports while trying to connect through Link. Anyway, how can I map to a network drive if I'm not able to go into the phone settings?
    11-08-19 12:39 AM
    @jamescarruthers thanks. That might be a good idea, but don't Blitz updates require Sachesi? As I described above, I haven't been able to fully connect through Sachesi.
    Yes, you are right, it is Sachesi that you need for this so no Blitz for you. Sorry to have gotten your hopes.

What about Playbook extension for the Chrome browser and replace as many system BAR files as you can with the latest type? This is very much grasping at straws and is unlikely to connect either, but just worth a last ditched mention!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-19 04:50 AM

@bb10adopter111 thanks. I have tried different USB cables and ports while trying to connect through Link. Anyway, how can I map to a network drive if I'm not able to go into the phone settings?
    If you haven't previously allowed "Device Connections" in your settings, then it won't work. That's always one of the first settings I turn on, so I'm afraid I took it for granted in my response that it was turned on in your case. My apologies.

If it's turned in and working properly, you don't need to do anything other than plug the phone in to an associated tablet or computer via the USB port, and the drive appears in your file system automatically, without needing to interact with the phone.

11-08-19 10:03 AM

Hey iled,

What happens on the Quick Settings items that work (so Wi-Fi for example) if you tap to the right of the main icon (the one that changes to blue to show on and off)? Usually that opens the full settings menu for the associated Quick Settings item, and from there you can tap the arrow button at the bottom to back out to main settings. Does that work for you?

It is possible that if Access using Wi-Fi was turned on you might already have the capability to mount as a network drive. Are you familiar with accessing network-based storage via File Explorer?

Have you tested a Windows 7 OS? If not, and depending on how badly you want the data, it is possible to virtualize one and passthrough the BB device connection. This is a long shot based on the fact that the Q10 works normally, but may be worth attempting if needed.
    11-08-19 04:14 PM
    Thank you all, I really appreciate that this thread (I) is (am) receiving support from all of you.

@jamescarruthers no problem about mentioning Blitz. That is actually a good thing to have in mind in case I get Sachesi to connect. About the Chrome extension: I have never used that. I barely read about it in the forums, and for some reason I thought it would only apply for Playbook's. I see now that it also works with BB10. I will definitely give it a try! It is this one, right? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ljnelbpblnikkp

@bb10adopter111 IIRC, I turned that on at some point, used it, and then turned off again. I guess I thought it was safer to have it off in case I lost the phone or something like that. Btw, doesn't that expose the device/data kind of easily in such a situation? In the various attempts I did while trying to connect through Link and others (USB), I didn't notice a drive to show up as available, but I might have missed that, so I'll double check.

@TrumpetTiger I don't have the device with me ATM (left it in a drawer in the office), but I will try to reach the settings through the Quick menu, like you mentioned. I'm pretty sure it won't work, because I tried opening the settings from within the Phone app and it also didn't work. I will report back once I try.

If you mean accessing a network drive that shows up as a drive in the filesystem, I think I'm comfortable with that. What I am unsure it how to map this phone as a network drive (given that I have very limited--none?--actions available).

I didn't try Win 7. Only 8.1 and 10. Both were virtualizations (btw, Q10 connected fine in those, so I feel I can't blame the virtual machine per se---I also tried one non-virtualized Win, can't recall which version it was). I will get ahold of a Win 7 image and give it a try!

Again, thank you all. It is great that I have a few more things to try! This week is going to be a busy one, so I might only be able to report back in the next weekend.
    11-08-19 11:27 PM
    Unlikely solution given apps won't open...but..HOW ABOUT VOICE ASSISTANT / or SHORT-CUT KEYS ?
    Any chance your Voice Assistant is mapped to the mute button on the passport (I'm not sure, but think it is by default) So by pressing the mute button , does it open Voice Assistant? or does that snap shut too?
    If by chance it does (and by the sounds of it, it probably won't work, but i didn't see you mentioning it....so what the heck, since we're talking about purgatory anyways there's always a prayer.....)
    What happens if you say "open Settings" (this doesn't need a wifi or cellular connection to work (english dictionary assumed here)) ... that should open the full settings. If that works (by some stroke of luck) you could enable USB that way?
    Alternatively if assistant does work, you could share anything by nfc that pops up in assistant...remember notes,documents,pictures,videos,music etc... to another nfc device (a second bb10 phone for example)
    Maybe open browser, clear cache, and maybe history (if this is a memory near full kind of condition..).

Just a wild guess if this wasn't tried.
    2nd wild guess...what does pressing the keyboard shortcut keys do (on the open apps/home screen) ? I think "O" launches Settings, or an unassigned one will allow you to assign it to launch. Do any of the shortcut keys launch anything either? or do they just instantly shut down as well as the apps do when selected from the main screen pages?
    I'll assume pressing the tiny hub icon on the home screen doesn't get you into the hub either.
    11-09-19 12:14 AM
    Thank you all, I really appreciate that this thread (I) is (am) receiving support from all of you.

@jamescarruthers no problem about mentioning Blitz. That is actually a good thing to have in mind in case I get Sachesi to connect. About the Chrome extension: I have never used that. I barely read about it in the forums, and for some reason I thought it would only apply for Playbook's. I see now that it also works with BB10. I will definitely give it a try! It is this one, right? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ljnelbpblnikkp
    You're welcome. Yes, that sounds like the one.

About your fears about the phone being insecure because it is plugged in and you can acess the data as a drive. You have to install the Blackberry drivers on the PC in order to access the phone and then enter the device password. I think you only get 10 attempts, although I could be wrong.

** Can you confirm that you have the Blackberry drivers installed? If not, you get them from BlackBerry website https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/pro...lackberry-link. They are bundled with Link and Blend. When you install the .exe file, you get the choice of Driver's, Link or Blend... just choose Driver's as Link doesn't work for most people.

** Oh, and lastly, once you have drivers installed, switch ON SMB 1.0 security on the PC so that you can access the phone!

Hey guys, finally I noticed how to make it work!

If you have the drivers installed, please try this:

1- Right click on start menu: Apps & features.
    2- In the right-up side of the windows click "Programs and features"
    3- In the next windows, left side, click "Turn windows features on or off"
    4- Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing Support.
    5- Click ok and restart.

When you connect your BB10 phone it shoudl work like a charm! let me know guys!

Edit: It fixes too the sharing files through wifi.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-19 03:01 AM

@bb10adopter111 IIRC, I turned that on at some point, used it, and then turned off again. I guess I thought it was safer to have it off in case I lost the phone or something like that. Btw, doesn't that expose the device/data kind of easily in such a situation? In the various attempts I did while trying to connect through Link and others (USB), I didn't notice a drive to show up as available, but I might have missed that, so I'll double check.

@TrumpetTiger I don't have the device with me ATM (left it in a drawer in the office), but I will try to reach the settings through the Quick menu, like you mentioned. I'm pretty sure it won't work, because I tried opening the settings from within the Phone app and it also didn't work. I will report back once I try.

If you mean accessing a network drive that shows up as a drive in the filesystem, I think I'm comfortable with that. What I am unsure it how to map this phone as a network drive (given that I have very limited--none?--actions available).

I didn't try Win 7. Only 8.1 and 10. Both were virtualizations (btw, Q10 connected fine in those, so I feel I can't blame the virtual machine per se---I also tried one non-virtualized Win, can't recall which version it was). I will get ahold of a Win 7 image and give it a try!

Again, thank you all. It is great that I have a few more things to try! This week is going to be a busy one, so I might only be able to report back in the next weekend.
    Regarding connections to other devices, It only works on devices associated with the BBID, so it does create risk if those devices aren't properly secured, but it's not something that can be exploited without access to your BBID or a device associated with it.

11-09-19 12:39 PM