Hi everyone,

Next year I will go to Japan to work there for a year. Since I don't know any Japanese, a phone that can translate Japanese to English using the camera would be very helpful or even vital for me. Other apps like public transport timetables, restaurant reviews, etc. would be useful as well.
    Furthermore, it is important that the phone supports the Japanese mobile networks. I read about the network frequencies there, but I'm not sure which and how many frequency bands have to be supported by the phone.

Currently, I am using a Nokia N9, which I absolutely love, but it doesn't have the necessary apps. A straightforward choice for a phone for Japan would be the Nexus 5, since it works in Japan, Google Translate offers easy camera translation, etc., but I'm not very keen on using Android (iOS even less).

That's why I'm asking for your opinion, whether the Z30 (or maybe Z10, because it's so cheap currently) would be a suitable phone for a longer stay in Japan? Are there camera translation apps? Can I easily install the newest Google Translate app and does it work without problems?
    Regarding the frequencies, here is a table comparing the frequencies of the Japanese operators, the Z30, Z10 and the Nexus 5. As I stated above, I'm not sure what frequencies a phone has to support, in order to work well on these networks:
    NTT docomo SoftBank Z30 Z10 Nexus 5 (EU)
    UMTS 1, 6, 9 1, 8, 11 1, 2, 5/6, 8 1, 5/6, 8 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8
    LTE 1, 3, 19, 21 1, 8 3, 7, 8, 20 3, 7, 8, 20 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20

I would be grateful for any information regarding the app and network support of the Z30 (and Z10) in Japan! Which phone would you recommend? Thanks!
    12-04-13 05:17 PM
    I don't know of any camera translation apps made for BlackBerry, but if there's an Android one it will probably work on BB10
    12-05-13 02:49 PM
    Think there's a native one in App World. Takes a camera shot and translates the text.
    Paid and I don't remember if It's Japanese supported. I'll check.

Check the first link first. It's a trial so it can't hurt. See if it tailors to your needs.
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/20078697
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/31647893
    12-05-13 04:51 PM
    Translator by Jibiao works well, but OCR (character recognition) is an in-app purchase at 2,99$ for 100 recognitions. Be aware you need internet connections for this app also.

Posted via CB10 1.4.3 Beta on my Z30
    12-05-13 05:05 PM
    Honestly, I don't think BlackBerry is right for the OP. Sounds like he needs a lot of different types of apps (picture translator, transport timetables, etc.) I'm not saying it won't work, but for this particular instance, I think a platform with a larger eco system is better.

This does raise a question for me. I travel a lot, but I haven't been to Japan in years. Is it still the situation where my GSM phone won't work there, or is that problem long in the past? I seem to recall it's no longer the case, but I don't know for sure...

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 07:48 PM
    Travel quite often to Asia and prefer to use fancy tran. Excellent app and very useful.

Check out FancyTran - Translator Built for BlackBerry? in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/2817

STL-3 Z10 | Rogers | 10.2.1.1055
    12-05-13 11:39 PM
    Personally, for Japan, I'd run with Android. It's simply better suited to that market.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:47 PM
    And if you're there for a year, you're better off buying a cheap one when you get there.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:49 PM
    Salute. Another nokia n9 going into retirement.

As to which phone, seems like nexus 5 is the logical choice.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 07:50 AM
    Thanks to everyone for the replies and the help!

Even though I'd rather buy a Z30 or Z10, maybe, like many of you said, it will be easier to stick with an Android phone. I think almost all useful Japanese apps are made for Android (too bad that Blackberry moved out of Japan). But I still have some open questions before making a purchase:

I don't know of any camera translation apps made for BlackBerry, but if there's an Android one it will probably work on BB10
    This is something I wanted to ask. Can I install basically any Android app on a BB10 phone? I know that the process has become easier with the APK installation support in the new OS version, but I'd be interested in real-world experience. How hard is it to find the needed apps? Do paid apps work as well? What percentage of the apps don't work (like they should)?

Think there's a native one in App World. Takes a camera shot and translates the text.
    Paid and I don't remember if It's Japanese supported. I'll check.

Check the first link first. It's a trial so it can't hurt. See if it tailors to your needs.
    Translator - Express Suite - BlackBerry World
    Translator - PRO - BlackBerry World
    Translator by Jibiao works well, but OCR (character recognition) is an in-app purchase at 2,99$ for 100 recognitions. Be aware you need internet connections for this app also.
    Translator Pro seems very good, but paying $3 for 100 recognitions is quite expensive. I'd probably make them rich during my first few months in Japan.

Travel quite often to Asia and prefer to use fancy tran. Excellent app and very useful.
    Check out FancyTran - Translator Built for BlackBerry? in BlackBerry World! You can find it at FancyTran - Translator Built for BlackBerry - BlackBerry World
    FancyTran also looks good, but I think it has no camera translation (OCR) feature, which is what I'd use the most.

Honestly, I don't think BlackBerry is right for the OP. Sounds like he needs a lot of different types of apps (picture translator, transport timetables, etc.) I'm not saying it won't work, but for this particular instance, I think a platform with a larger eco system is better.

This does raise a question for me. I travel a lot, but I haven't been to Japan in years. Is it still the situation where my GSM phone won't work there, or is that problem long in the past? I seem to recall it's no longer the case, but I don't know for sure...
    GSM doesn't work there, but WCDMA (UMTS) and LTE do. I just don't know which and how many frequency bands have to be supported by a phone to function well over there.

Personally, for Japan, I'd run with Android. It's simply better suited to that market.
    And if you're there for a year, you're better off buying a cheap one when you get there.
    Few years ago I was amazed by the phones in Japan, but now the lineup has become significantly less interesting (except maybe the Sharp Aquos Xx Mini and the dual-screen NEC Medias W N-05E). Nexus 5 is one of the very few Android phones that spark some interest in me.

Salute. Another nokia n9 going into retirement.
    As to which phone, seems like nexus 5 is the logical choice.
    The N9 will be my secondary phone over there and when I come back, maybe it will again be my primary... that's how much I love it
    12-09-13 06:15 AM