I love My BlackBerry, What I love more is the security, But these days most people don't care about security, its now ALLL about apps. I love locking my BlackBerry but them taking away Passwords? I don't get.. A Password is something FOR ME to remember, I hate when a website tells me I need 1 Cap letter 1 Symbol and 1 Number, Now I ask how is this a Password? I won't remember it if there are rules to a password. The whole point is for it to be a comfortable number or word that you will remember, guidelines just make you forget the password, My point is these days MOST people who steal a BlackBerry are NOT trying to get your personal information they want the phone, What RIM has done to make this easy is, Ok I stole a BlackBerry, it has a Password, let me give it 10 tries, Now wipe it and guess what NOW i have a clean new blackberry, Mission acomplished. I achived my goal with the help of RIM. RIM sells 2 types of phones, 1 with a camera and 1 without the camera the reason behind is because some companies are very strict and you are not allowed a camera on the premises, So why does RIM not give us this type of option. When we 1st turn on a BlackBerry we choose the language and then it removes the others we should have this same feature when it comes to our Passwords. We should have an option like when u 1st Turn on the BlackBerry you choose weather to have it strict or not, Strict meaning (limited passwords and 10 attempts then wipe) Not Strict would let us still use the words like qwerty and BlackBerry for Passwords as well as leave the BB locked forever. I don't like the fact that someone can steal my BB, give my password 10 attempts and then wipe it and then they have a brand new Blackberry, I would prefer for it to stay locked and for the phone to be encrypted and useless to the person who stole it, Not all of us work for the FBI, we don't have national security secrets on our phones. I would prefer if me and the thief both lost because the phone would be useless to him with it being locked, The way it is now makes the thief the Winner and the owner the looser, My way No one wins
    12-11-12 02:18 PM
    You have any idea how many people would be outraged when their phone becomes unusable because they forgot their password or perhaps one of their kids decided to play around with the phone and lock it completely?
    12-11-12 02:42 PM
    U would be able to Unlock it if 1 u knew the password and 2 if u had the phone registered with your computer. Like the phone reads the computer u 1st used. More people are outraged when someone steals their phone.. if this was a option most people would not bother steal a phone that would end up useless it would be somewhat of a deterrent for thieves.
    Masahiro likes this.
    12-11-12 03:02 PM
    Thanks for this thread. Helps me think up more secure ways for my future app I'm in the process of creating.
    12-11-12 06:05 PM
    It could be accomplished rather easily by setting the number of retries to infinite. That way, if you lose your phone, nobody could get into the contents, nor do you run the risk of a wipe if you forget the password. But the phone must be made absolutely impenetrable, i.e. unless a password is supplied, you can't do anything but...enter the password.

The option to wipe still must exist though; the focus may just have to shift to remote wiping (browser based BB Protect, for example.)
    12-11-12 06:20 PM
    My point is these days MOST people who steal a BlackBerry are NOT trying to get your personal information they want the phone...
    For your reading pleasure and education about smartphone theft reality. Canada’s Wireless Carriers Take Action to Help Battle Smartphone Theft

And for your viewing pleasure.
    12-11-12 06:49 PM
    U would be able to Unlock it if 1 u knew the password and 2 if u had the phone registered with your computer. Like the phone reads the computer u 1st used. More people are outraged when someone steals their phone.. if this was a option most people would not bother steal a phone that would end up useless it would be somewhat of a deterrent for thieves.
    Hmm. This could work, actually. It would have been nice to have for when I lost my 9900 a couple weeks ago.
    12-11-12 07:20 PM
    The cell carriers are finally (hopefully) starting to smarten up and enforce a SIM and IMEI lock-down.

Every phone has an IMEI so even if the thief swaps SIMs (which you can easily cancel anyways) the carriers never really cared to report your IMEI to a central stolen phone database.

It is harder to change IMEI so that could effectively make your phone pretty useless to someone else. But the carriers never bothered.

We need to lobby industry and goverment to enforce IMEI lockdown on all carriers so that the traffic of stolen phones comes to a stop.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    12-11-12 09:21 PM
    IMEI locks won't work unless it is global...
    In Australia I see plenty of blocked IMEI phones for sale, they just get shipped overseas where there is no block.
    12-12-12 02:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD