Well I have been giving BB10 a go on the big screen with a keyboard etc, the biggest thing I noticed when using the browser in landscape mode were the buttons and address bar...

I really REALLY want BB to incorporate some way for the OS to know its on an external display and then scale the UI accordingly.

If their future vision is for you to dock your phone then its certainly got to be a priority.

Any one else having any thoughts or ideas?
    Brandon Orr and Mr_F like this.
    07-23-13 11:34 AM
    I think you bring up great point! They totally need to make the phone aware of what it is plugged into /connected to. Even with video playback. If you are connected via hdmi and playing a video it would be nice to see the phone screen turn off or at least show some sort of placeholder in place of the video in order to save battery, since there is no point in having the video playing on both the phone and TV. Perhaps when playing a video over hdmi the phone screen could display a full screen enhanced media control panel with all your start/pause/play/skip options with volume, brightness, and any other video relayed quick settings.

Posted via CB10
    Kostas Aspiotis and Mr_F like this.
    07-23-13 01:13 PM
    I think you bring up great point! They totally need to make the phone aware of what it is plugged into /connected to. Even with video playback. If you are connected via hdmi and playing a video it would be nice to see the phone screen turn off or at least show some sort of placeholder in place of the video in order to save battery, since there is no point in having the video playing on both the phone and TV. Perhaps when playing a video over hdmi the phone screen could display a full screen enhanced media control panel with all your start/pause/play/skip options with volume, brightness, and any other video relayed quick settings.

Posted via CB10
    That can be done already via presentation mode instead of mirroring mode.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    07-23-13 01:52 PM
    besides from presentation mode - you will soon (in 10.2) see full support for Miracast devices - which will allow apps to use all different screen sizes on external displays etc... good things are here - even better things to come
    07-23-13 02:00 PM
    Could miracast be thought of as a wireless HDMI or is it more limited? I'm not so interested in movie watching or gaming but more for web browsing and productivity functions.
    Last edited by last_attempt; 07-23-13 at 04:03 PM.
    07-23-13 03:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    That also happens when I connect my pc to my tv. The display on my laptop dont go off.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 03:44 PM
    Can miracast be thought of as a wireless HDMI or is it more limited? I'm not so interested in movie watching or gaming but more for web browsing and productivity functions.
    Miracast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe there will be some sort of screen-sharing built-into 10.2, to allow you to push content from your phone screen onto a Miracast receiver.

Miracast was disigned as an "open" alternative to Apple Airplay,and supports up to HD 1080p video and different audio formats - so I assume the quality is good. Miracast devices can be found for 50USD and up.

One device is the Panasonic DMP-MST60, which sells on Amazon for aprx. 80USD
    last_attempt likes this.
    07-23-13 04:01 PM
    That also happens when I connect my pc to my tv. The display on my laptop dont go off.

Posted via CB10
    Usually if you press the Fn key and the F5 or F6, depending on your pc. The screen should then shut off.
    07-23-13 04:06 PM
    Presentation mode / Play on would be nice for some of you. You can turn of the screen and the video keeps on playing.
    You can even do something else on the phone.

Really, use it a little bit more before writing it off.
    Mr_F likes this.
    07-23-13 04:09 PM
    I would like to see full keyboard and mouse support for the stock browser. Some things I've noticed I'm unable to do so far.

- The ability to highlight large volumes of text
    - copy and paste
    - right-click on links to open in new tab (not sure if anyone is having this problem. It works flawlessly on my PlayBook)
    - double-click on text to zoom in
    07-23-13 04:23 PM
    Usually if you press the Fn key and the F5 or F6, depending on your pc. The screen should then shut off.
    O yeah. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 06:15 PM
    I can vouch that miracast works quite well and that it is a much better alternative than hdmi on all fronts except probably battery. I did notice that if I was next to multiple wifi devices it had some trouble but as long as I wasn't it worked very well... I am a little worried about running miracast, wifi, bluetooth(which is also 802.11 if I'm not mistaken plus everything else in my house. although beggers can't be choosers:-)

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 06:56 PM
    Well I have been giving BB10 a go on the big screen with a keyboard etc, the biggest thing I noticed when using the browser in landscape mode were the buttons and address bar...

I really REALLY want BB to incorporate some way for the OS to know its on an external display and then scale the UI accordingly.

If their future vision is for you to dock your phone then its certainly got to be a priority.

Any one else having any thoughts or ideas?
    If Blackberry had a dock like a Samsung Smart Dock which has the ability to charge, use a usb mouse and keyboard and output to a monitor through HDMI that would be a great feature

BB10 over HDMI - things I / We want to see...-samsung-galaxy-note-ii-smart-dock.jpg
    07-23-13 07:12 PM
    I would like for my Zed to recognize the hdmi connection and switch to a proper landscape mode to make the screen more uniform and useful. Also want to see a keyboard like the one I've pictured below, but, including a small bezel around the touch pad so you can do gestures.

BB10 over HDMI - things I / We want to see...-keyboard_playbook_topdetail_angle_z.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 02:28 AM
    I have used play on and presentation modes extensively . I have used presentation mode since owning a PlayBook. What I'm talking about is scaling the user interface to make better use of an external display. My original point being the HUGE address bar and buttons on the BB10 browser when used this way.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 04:15 AM
    I would like for my Zed to recognize the hdmi connection and switch to a proper landscape mode to make the screen more uniform and useful. Also want to see a keyboard like the one I've pictured below, but, including a small bezel around the touch pad so you can do gestures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Keyboard_PlayBook_TopDetail_Angle_z.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	185523
    The way that keyboard works with the PlayBook is that the mouse pointer changes near the edge of the screen to indicate that if you click a specific bezel gesture will be performed. This is better than proprietary hardware, because you could pair any Bluetooth keyboard and / or mouse to the BB10 device and get the same functionality.

You might find this interesting.

I have used play on and presentation modes extensively . I have used presentation mode since owning a PlayBook. What I'm talking about is scaling the user interface to make better use of an external display. My original point being the HUGE address bar and buttons on the BB10 browser when used this way.
    So, if I can say it in a different way, you want the BB10 device to put out 1920 x 1080 resolution even though it's native resolution is 1280 x 768, and for the apps to properly 'stretch' appropriately to fit the screen, so that it's not just zoomed in but rather the app can cope with different screen resolutions and just enlarge parts of the app without just "zooming"?

Well, BB has gone out of their way to advise developers to design for 720 x 720 and 1280 x 720 screens... so to have 1920 x 1080 natively produced by the BB10 handheld would be a bit of a contradiction.

Don't get me wrong: I wish they would... if developers were desigining their apps to fit whatever screens, like Windows developers have to accommodate all sorts of different screen resolutions, then a supercharged 1920 x 1080 phablet running BB10 would be practical! No one wants that more than I do... I just think it's reeeeeealy unlikely.

I wish the guidance that BB had given developers was not specific pixel dimensions, but aspect ratios:

"All BB10 software must be designed to work at 1:1 and 16:9 resolutions" and use proper development techniques that stretch certain controls in one or both dimensions, depending on the nature of the control, and just relocate others, or move controls relative to the app edges. I mean, software for Window-ed OSes has been designed this way for literally decades, so why is this hard for mobile apps?
    07-24-13 03:03 PM
    The way that keyboard works with the PlayBook is that the mouse pointer changes near the edge of the screen to indicate that if you click a specific bezel gesture will be performed. This is better than proprietary hardware, because you could pair any Bluetooth keyboard and / or mouse to the BB10 device and get the same functionality.

So, if I can say it in a different way, you want the BB10 device to put out 1920 x 1080 resolution even though it's native resolution is 1280 x 768, and for the apps to properly 'stretch' appropriately to fit the screen, so that it's not just zoomed in but rather the app can cope with different screen resolutions and just enlarge parts of the app without just "zooming"?

Well, BB has gone out of their way to advise developers to design for 720 x 720 and 1280 x 720 screens... so to have 1920 x 1080 natively produced by the BB10 handheld would be a bit of a contradiction.

Don't get me wrong: I wish they would... if developers were desigining their apps to fit whatever screens, like Windows developers have to accommodate all sorts of different screen resolutions, then a supercharged 1920 x 1080 phablet running BB10 would be practical! No one wants that more than I do... I just think it's reeeeeealy unlikely.

I wish the guidance that BB had given developers was not specific pixel dimensions, but aspect ratios:

"All BB10 software must be designed to work at 1:1 and 16:9 resolutions" and use proper development techniques that stretch certain controls in one or both dimensions, depending on the nature of the control, and just relocate others, or move controls relative to the app edges. I mean, software for Window-ed OSes has been designed this way for literally decades, so why is this hard for mobile apps?
    You kinda got it... my issue mostly is the portrait mode it displays in when using the app grid... need landscape orientation to help there

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 03:25 PM
    Resolutions, no I'm not so fussed about that as the TV deals with scaling that to fit. What I don't want to see on my TV is roughly an eighth of the screen occupied by the browser address bar and navigation buttons.

It's not really that hard to understand. If the device can determine that it's hooked to a TV etc it can scale the user interface of the browser to be much smaller in my opinion. Making it more usable on a large display.

The area my thumb needs to hit for an address bar and back button are fine on a small screen, but take a 4" display and make that same image show on a 40" display and it just becomes wasted screen estate.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 05:10 PM
    What I don't understand is why I can only use 640x480 mode from my Z10 while connected to a 1600x1200 display. That's the only resolution option that shows up in the HDMI Display Mode list in the Display settings.

(Micro HDMI --> HDMI cable --> DVI-D adapter)
    07-24-13 07:09 PM
    Hi Lorax1284, from your link above am I accurate in thinking that the playbook is a little better on a big screen with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse at this point over the Z10?
    07-24-13 08:16 PM