I'm hoping that a nice feature of the BB10 OS is that it allows you to select which radio mode you want to flow with. I for one wouldn't want the LTE radio sucking battery juice every time I'm on the web or just because the device is on. So, it would be nice to set it to these radio profiles,....or better yet,...implement a Radio Menu where you can profile which apps you want to "enable" the LTE Radio, etc. One could setup profiles that apps use for various access speed. Per se', 3G Commando Mode for voice and texting,...HSPA+ CEO Mode, for emails with attachments, etc.,...or LTE "Commander-In-Chief Mode" for heavy web browsing/downloading, etc.

In fact, the device could have a Browser Option that enables the "LTE Radio For Web Browsing" only. When the browser is closed,...the LTE radio will turn off,...say 30, 45, 60 seconds, etc. Additionally, the LTE radio could switch on/off based on the file download size limit which is preconfigured. Meaning, if the download content is x-megabyte in size the LTE radio would be enabled then auto turn off. This way, one could set their device to use the 3G or HSPA+ radio for regular browsing. The same logic can be applied to "Sending" emails with attachments of a given size, etc. This type of capabilities would enable that 1800 maH battery to really last a very long time,...as BB OS are well known for making good use of battery juice!

Note, I'm not an engineer,...but this is the type of out-ta-box thinking needed! RIM, don't lead,...be the Leader,...don't innovate,...be the Innovator!

So, whattaya call it?....just call it "LTE Turbo"! being that it's compares well with the V8 engine vs Turbo-Charged engine concept! Power On-Demand...

Hmm,...How about,...LTE On-Demand!
    01-10-13 01:22 PM
    turning on and off radios will use a good deal battery and not really recommended. That being said you can do something like this. android has these features available so i dont see why something cant make an app for bb10 also.
    01-10-13 01:32 PM
    turning on and off radios will use a good deal battery and not really recommended. That being said you can do something like this. android has these features available so i dont see why something cant make an app for bb10 also.
    Hmm, let me get this straight! My electric bill will be more if I actually turn the light off when exiting a room,...then return an hour later,...and use a simple reflex flick of my hand to turn the light back on. Or! Just leave the car engine running,....for 15 minutes or so while you shop! Your car won't burn that much more gas than a re-start requires! Yeah,...right!

On another note,...i just noticed the number of posts you have! Damn,.....I can't imagine making 16,000+ posts on the entire internet let alone one website! That said,...with that many posts, you must be right on this one.... Cheers!
    Last edited by JMDBERRY; 01-10-13 at 06:41 PM.
    01-10-13 03:02 PM
    I think it has to do with the fact the radio has to negotiate with the towers and connect. I know that in LTE's early days what REALLY killed them was going in and out of 4G because it had to keep switching between 3G and 4G all the time. Just some food for though. We also don't really know how bad the LTE is going ot hurt BB10 yet. The device isn't out. It's also a new smaller die with all integrated radios. Just wait and see. I bet we'll see a full days worth out of the phone.
    01-10-13 03:06 PM
    like mentioned its hard to say for sure, HSPA sorta does this already to benefit the battery. This is a new chip so the constant switching between radios might not hurt much. Honestly i get a good deal of use just on LTE with no switching. i never turn it off on my nexus and still have pretty good battery life. The new chip should be even better
    JMDBERRY likes this.
    01-10-13 03:17 PM