I have just purchased a Q10 and I have started to realised I might have made the wrong choice. I thought I can live without those main stream apps but the honest truth is the answer will be no. Everyone can live without app such as Facebook, Wechat and so on. But to live without whatsapp is quite the impossible. Asking everyone to switch to BBM because of you doesn't really makes sense at all.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 08:17 PM
    None of what you're saying is news.

Lots of us can live without WhatsApp. For those on BB10 that cannot, there are workarounds for now.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    rayporsche likes this.
    05-28-17 08:56 PM
    Then why did you buy the Q10?
    05-28-17 10:11 PM
    Sell it at "The Marketplace" section.
    05-28-17 11:11 PM
    Then why did you buy the Q10?
    Yeah, I was wondering that, too.

05-28-17 11:37 PM
    I have just purchased a Q10 and I have started to realised I might have made the wrong choice. I thought I can live without those main stream apps but the honest truth is the answer will be no. Everyone can live without app such as Facebook, Wechat and so on. But to live without whatsapp is quite the impossible. Asking everyone to switch to BBM because of you doesn't really makes sense at all.
    To be honest I don't see how anyone can live with WhatsApp. Asking everyone to switch to WhatsApp because of you doesn't really make sense. I don't know any of my contacts who actually use WhatsApp. Instead of using WhatsApp, how about just send email or SMS??? Every phone in the last 20 years can handle SMS.

WhatsApp, it is not for getting things done. It's for sucking up your data so someone else can profit off it.
    I work for a company that makes some pretty critical products for Facebook. Guess what everyone uses for getting stuff done? Conference calls, email and in-person meetings. Think about that. Not even Facebook will use either of their own products when it comes down to actually making real stuff that needs to work & be delivered on time.

I could still be running my Bold 9900 & it wouldn't matter because that is all that's needed to get stuff done. And it ain't just Facebook. Take a list of the top server manufacturers in the world, for example. We supply all of them, many for custom jobs. WhatsApp is not needed for most work. (Unless your job is WhatsApp).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    awakerman likes this.
    05-28-17 11:46 PM
    To be honest I don't see how anyone can live with WhatsApp. Asking everyone to switch to WhatsApp because of you doesn't really make sense. I don't know any of my contacts who actually use WhatsApp. Instead of using WhatsApp, how about just send email or SMS??? Every phone in the last 20 years can handle SMS.

WhatsApp, it is not for getting things done. It's for sucking up your data so someone else can profit off it.
    I work for a company that makes some pretty critical products for Facebook. Guess what everyone uses for getting stuff done? Conference calls, email and in-person meetings. Think about that. Not even Facebook will use either of their own products when it comes down to actually making real stuff that needs to work & be delivered on time.

I could still be running my Bold 9900 & it wouldn't matter because that is all that's needed to get stuff done. And it ain't just Facebook. Take a list of the top server manufacturers in the world, for example. We supply all of them, many for custom jobs. WhatsApp is not needed for most work. (Unless your job is WhatsApp).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Over a billion people use WhatsApp. Phones need to adapt to workflow - not the other way around.
    05-28-17 11:53 PM
    Yep 1 billion now that means one of seven people in the world use whatsapp
    05-28-17 11:56 PM
    After being back to Passport after half a year on Galaxy S6, cannot help but feel happy about the decision to ditch the S6.

So far the app gap while apparent is work-aroundable. Android apps for most part work really well for me, and if you spend a couple of bucks on otherwise Free Apps for Android and iOS, there are still some okey native apps.

Nemory Facebook and Messenger app are kinda crappy but the hub notifications work perfect. His WhatsApp paid version actually works a lot better for me than the android apk, he must have touched the code some as I don't have the weird stuttering and lag from the android version.

As long as these work arounds exists I will probably commit to the Passport as my work device.

What really worries me is if Android Runtime won't be updated any more. I doubt app support for 4.3 will continue for over 2 years from here on.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 12:15 AM
    Hang on there!
    05-29-17 12:23 AM
    What really worries me is if Android Runtime won't be updated any more. I doubt app support for 4.3 will continue for over 2 years from here on.

Posted via CB10
    I think 2 years is stretching it.
    If a app pops up with some kind of "new" functionality you can be sure it will have 4.4 or 5.0 as a minimum requirement, same goes for existing apps that get larger functionality updates.
    05-29-17 01:22 AM
    I think 2 years is stretching it.
    If a app pops up with some kind of "new" functionality you can be sure it will have 4.4 or 5.0 as a minimum requirement, same goes for existing apps that get larger functionality updates.
    That's true, but I think older versions will remain supported for a while still. I am thinking of Viber here for example, where the really old version continues to work extremely well. Hope I don't jinx it.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 01:24 AM
    That's true, but I think older versions will remain supported for a while still. I am thinking of Viber here for example, where the really old version continues to work extremely well. Hope I don't jinx it.

Posted via CB10
    I've had the same luck with my banking app, the latest update added MobilePay making it unusable on the passport. Now I'm just hoping older versions will keep working properly for some time.
    05-29-17 01:32 AM
    where have you been? Whatsapp told BB10 users years ago it seems it would stop supporting BB10.

Just use a 3rd party Whatsapp client.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-17 02:47 AM
    Did you keep the receipt?
    05-29-17 06:12 AM
    Yep 1 billion now that means one of seven people in the world use whatsapp
    And yet I have never met anyone who finds it important enough to bring up, even when they see me with a BlackBerry. I guess I tend to hang around with the other six.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    elfabio80 and ppeters914 like this.
    05-29-17 03:36 PM
    And yet I have never met anyone who finds it important enough to bring up, even when they see me with a BlackBerry. I guess I tend to hang around with the other six.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    I have seen other discussions that state that outside of North America it's not common to have phone plans that have unlimited TEXT messaging. That's why Whatsapp is very heavily used in many parts of the world (and, it's cross-platform).

So, for myself, I'm in Canada (eh!) and have NEVER used BBM due to the fact that all of my family / contacts have unlimited texting.

I have, however, jumped from BB10 to a PRIV because we use Hangouts (Google) for work and I was just unable to get that working on my Classic, despite the fine efforts of so many people on the patching side.

So, I understand why people are concerned about losing Whatsapp, even though I don't use it at all.
    skrble likes this.
    05-29-17 04:45 PM
    So, I understand why people are concerned about losing Whatsapp, even though I don't use it at all.
    I do understand why people who use it and prefer using a BlackBerry 10 device are concerned. But the number of monthly active users (up to 1.2 billion if you believe FB stats) shouldn't be important in that decision. If WhatsApp is important enough for you, you will have to move to a different platform eventually, just as you did for Hangouts, even though the MAU for Hangouts is probably an order of magnitude less than WhatsApp (about where Telegram is). If a half dozen of my most important contacts used WhatsApp I would be looking at phones trying to decide what to buy next as well. The remainder of the 1.2 billion wouldn't really matter to me at all.

Besides, going from 1.2 billion MAU to one of seven people in the world may be true, but it is not a meaningful statistic. If you beleive MAU numbers published around the internet WhatsApp is actually regular use on 1 in 4 smartphones, which is much more significant. But I still don't know anyone who actually uses it so the demographics is skewed as you suggest. Apparently the highest per capita use is in South Africa, if you believe the published stats.
    05-29-17 06:31 PM
    Yeah, I was wondering that, too.

Because I thought I can live without whatsapp and Blackberry phone was my first smartphone 8 years ago. Since the Q10 was a bargain in my country (Malaysia), must as well I ditch my android and continue supporting Blackberry again.

I've read all those news about BB10 loosing its native app but I kept on telling myself that I can live without Facebook, G+, Instagram and etc even thou I'm working as a Social Media marketeer. As long as whatsapp is here then I will be okay cause we don't get unlimited sms in this country and it's not part of the telco plans. On top of that, no one uses BBM in Malaysia and it's not fair for me to push everyone to use BBM because of me. And in this country the main messenger app will be WhatsApp, Line and WeChat.
    05-30-17 03:58 AM
    I do understand why people who use it and prefer using a BlackBerry 10 device are concerned. But the number of monthly active users (up to 1.2 billion if you believe FB stats) shouldn't be important in that decision. If WhatsApp is important enough for you, you will have to move to a different platform eventually, just as you did for Hangouts, even though the MAU for Hangouts is probably an order of magnitude less than WhatsApp (about where Telegram is). If a half dozen of my most important contacts used WhatsApp I would be looking at phones trying to decide what to buy next as well. The remainder of the 1.2 billion wouldn't really matter to me at all.

Besides, going from 1.2 billion MAU to one of seven people in the world may be true, but it is not a meaningful statistic. If you beleive MAU numbers published around the internet WhatsApp is actually regular use on 1 in 4 smartphones, which is much more significant. But I still don't know anyone who actually uses it so the demographics is skewed as you suggest. Apparently the highest per capita use is in South Africa, if you believe the published stats.
    Yes, I thought the same as well. There are many people that uses BB10, willing to teach us how to install the APK whatsapp on BB10 and when buying my Q10, I thought hey, it's not that bad after all cause there are people that managed to install WhatsApp APK version. But what all of you left out is, not everyone are born to be tech savvy especially when it comes to phone coding and all this APK thing requires some sort of phone coding cause the original android whatsapp APK won't allow you to share videos or files.

Too bad people is this country are unable to ditch whatsapp and everyone is relying heavily on whatsapp for business use. Looks like I will have to ditch my Q10 just after 2 months using it. Sad case indeed....
    05-30-17 04:03 AM
    When WhatsApp officially starts support BB10 users on June 30, 2017, I'm pretty sure at least half of the existing BB10 users are gonna quit using that platform. Cause this existing BB10 users are not that tech savvy when it comes to installing WhatsApp APK version.
    05-30-17 04:06 AM
    In my circle Whatsapp has been losing popularity. I now have just 3 people (all from Dominican Republic) still using Whatsapp. Most everyone else just texts now. Ifs funny because now I have more active BBM friends than whatsapp.
    05-30-17 06:42 AM
    You don't need to be tech savy or know how to code for installing an apk.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 07:01 AM
    You don't need to be tech savy or know how to code for installing an apk.

Posted via CB10
    True, but the average non-tech savvy Joe wants a phone that works out of the box.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-30-17 07:58 AM
    True, but the average non-tech savvy Joe wants a phone that works out of the box.
    A concept lost on this forum.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    05-30-17 08:20 AM
32 12