Like everyone, I am very excited about BB10 and can't wait to make the plunge!

I'm a huge text messaging user (average around 8000 text messages per month) and have found the native text messaging app in BB7 to be insufficient for my needs, primarily since it auto deletes messages. I have resorted to using an app called CrunchSMS which doesn't delete messages. Some other benefits to CrunchSMS is it let's me "delete prior" messages within a conversation, instant screen pop-up with the ability to quick reply to new messages, and a blacklist feature.

Do we know many/any details about the native text messaging app in BB10? Specifically, can it be set to NOT auto delete messages/conversations? I believe the iPhone doesn't auto delete, and I know BBM can archive forever. In general, I would rather not use a 3rd party text messaging app -- but if the native app doesn't do what I need it to do, then I don't have much of an option unfortunately.
    Last edited by Protocol 2001; 01-04-13 at 10:59 AM.
    01-04-13 10:40 AM

I'm a huge text messaging user (average around 8000 text messages per month) and have found the native text messaging app in BB7 to be insufficient for my needs, primarily since it auto deletes messages. I have resorted to using an app called CrunchSMS which doesn't delete messages. Some other benefits to CrunchSMS is it let's me "delete prior" messages within a conversation, instant screen pop-up with the ability to quick reply to new messages, and a blacklist feature.

Do we know many/any details about the native text messaging app in BB10? Specifically, can it be set to NOT auto delete messages/conversations? I believe the iPhone doesn't auto delete, and I know BBM can archive forever. In general, I would rather not use a 3rd party text messaging app -- but if the native app doesn't do what I need it to do, then I don't have much of an option unfortunately.
    I personally have not had my BlackBerry 7 device ever auto delete my text messages.
    01-04-13 11:51 AM

My 9810 used to auto-delete messages, but it seems to have stopped doing so ever since one of the more recent updates. What OS are you running on your 9900?
    01-04-13 11:53 AM
    I'm on 7.1 Bundle 2108 (v.7.1.0.746, Platform 5.1.0.546) on the Bell Mobility nework. Unlocked Bold 9900.

In fairness, I haven't given OS7 a chance but rather switched over to CrunchSMS back when my old Bold (9700) was on OS6 and was auto-deleting text messages.

Does anyone know if this was a fix in OS7 perhaps? (Re: Retaining text messages until the conversation thread is deleted)
    01-04-13 12:49 PM
    The old phones used to delete messages because you ran out of memory. The new ones will do the same. My 9000 was brutual for that... until you started using quickpull. If the memory never dropped down to 0, then the messages stayed.

Never had a problem on my 9900. It will still get rid of really old messages.
    01-04-13 01:20 PM
    Thanks for the update kae77 -- and therein explains why I currently use the 3rd party app. Some of my conversation threads get very long and I need to retain the information for various reasons. Both my 9700 and 9900 (to a lesser degree, granted) are terrible for memory. I only have a few apps installed and it is constantly sluggish (read: I get that hourglass thing often) and I get the occassional (on the 9900) prompting to delete apps to free up memory which is infuriating (since I don't have many to begin with, and none of them are games or other "intensive" apps. Also, I don't typically run multiple apps at once, nor have more connectivity open then needed either -- so really this shouldn't be happening).

Perhaps I'll give the native text messaging app in BB10 a try. I really hope RIM is making sure the new phones have enough memory to run properly. This is so a Windows 95 & 98 issue that we shouldn't be having in 2013.

But no one has heard of anything definite that BB10 will retain text messages indefinitely like the Apple devices? (Perhaps I should be adding Android devices in with Apple too, but I don't know if Android devices save text messages indefinitely so I don't want to make a false bolstering of the brand )
    01-04-13 01:37 PM

This is the 1st i am hearing of an auto-delete feature and i have used every BB OS available till date(except OS10). Perhaps it's a setting you inadvertently turned on or a bug on your device.

You can also delete messages within the conversation thread although it is not as smooth as doing it in crunchsms. Go to 'View Folders' and 'sms inbox' and it will give you the option to delete a specific message within the thread

EDIT: Just read the post by kae77 and i had no idea this happened seeing how i still have some text messages from 2 years ago. I stand corrected though
    Last edited by shupor; 01-04-13 at 02:03 PM.
    01-04-13 01:48 PM
    Must have been a memory issue. I still have my text thread with my wife going back over two years and when I was still on my Pearl 8100 (OS 4.5). They transferred over during my device switch to my current 9800 (OS 6). You can backup all text data on the phone through Desktop Manager. The current version saves as a .bbb file that is really a zip file you can open and extract.

Admittedly, my texting use is rather light.
    01-04-13 04:00 PM

Have you tried changing your "Days To Keep Messages" to "Forever" in the "Message Display and Actions" options?
    01-04-13 04:28 PM
    My understanding of "days to keep messages" applies to emails in the messaging app, not to text messages specifically. In both cases however, I think the device would delete based on memory availability regardless of that setting.

It appears based on the comments so far on this thread that we don't know for sure if BB10 will auto keep text messages until deleted, which is unfortunate. I think I'll give it a try though once I upgrade but will keep CrunchSMS in my "back pocket".
    01-07-13 10:34 AM