RIM absolutely can NOT make the first BB10 phone an exclusive for either AT&T or Verizon. I fear that it will be an AT&T exclusive which would be a MAJOR blunder on their part.

What are your thoughts? Should RIM find the best carrier deal to help them finacially or should they release across all carriers and maybe make less money per device?
    04-27-12 09:38 AM
    RIM doesnt choose the exclusivity, the carriers do.
    They will feed RIM dollars for engineering to get exclusivity

so dont holler at RIM, holler at the carriers.

so yes, if ATT wants to throw a million at RIM for the deal, they can.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-27-12 09:51 AM
    If AT&T was getting exclusivity I'm sure we'd Already have a BB10 device as they wouldn't need to wait for LTE chipsets,

IF RIM does laugh AT&T exclusive then all their talk about needing hardware to meet battery demands was a load of bull

Now I very much think that RIM's plan is a North America wide BB10 launch on all major carriers who offer premium devices. They need the furthest reaching marketing campaign which means every carrier at once
    04-27-12 10:13 AM
    Now I very much think that RIM's plan is a North America wide BB10 launch on all major carriers who offer premium devices. They need the furthest reaching marketing campaign which means every carrier at once
    You are right, and I think we will see more of it in Canada
    we know on launch day Telus, Bell and Rogers will have it. As for the clowning around American carriers do, we wont know.
    04-27-12 10:17 AM
    If AT&T was getting exclusivity I'm sure we'd Already have a BB10 device as they wouldn't need to wait for LTE chipsets,

IF RIM does laugh AT&T exclusive then all their talk about needing hardware to meet battery demands was a load of bull

Is AT&T still offering any new devices that are not LTE capable? I am an AT&T customer, and I've noticed that all of the new devices they are getting are LTE capable Androids and Windows Phones. I have not seen a new device that just was released that was not LTE capable.
    04-27-12 10:18 AM
    Is AT&T still offering any new devices that are not LTE capable? I am an AT&T customer, and I've noticed that all of the new devices they are getting are LTE capable Androids and Windows Phones. I have not seen a new device that just was released that was not LTE capable.

Are those devices AT&T exclusives?

AT&T's HSPA+ easily is fast enough for RIM to have launched BB10 devices earlier had HSPA+ been an option for RIM to use if they were not planning a strategy of all carriers.

AT&T would get to take BlackBerry users from Verizon and be the first with a new OS, I couldn't see them saying NO to it if it didn't have LTE.
    Verizon NEEDS LTE because CDMA is just painful
    04-27-12 10:22 AM
    Are those devices AT&T exclusives?

AT&T's HSPA+ easily is fast enough for RIM to have launched BB10 devices earlier had HSPA+ been an option for RIM to use if they were not planning a strategy of all carriers.

AT&T would get to take BlackBerry users from Verizon and be the first with a new OS, I couldn't see them saying NO to it if it didn't have LTE.
    Verizon NEEDS LTE because CDMA is just painful
    The Nokia Lumia 900 and the HTC Titan II are AT&T exclusives.

The Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is also an AT&T exclusive.

That makes sense, though. T-Mobile would not get those devices, as the frequency bands are incompatible.

AT&T is rolling out its LTE network. The guy in the AT&T store said I should have LTE in my city next month.
    04-27-12 10:26 AM
    RIM absolutely can NOT make the first BB10 phone an exclusive for either AT&T or Verizon. I fear that it will be an AT&T exclusive which would be a MAJOR blunder on their part.

What are your thoughts? Should RIM find the best carrier deal to help them finacially or should they release across all carriers and maybe make less money per device?
    At this point making a healthy profit should be the last thing on their mind...
    ...They need EXPOSURE with a phone that everyone can see - and get.
    ...If they add the missing apps everyone else has & increases the size of email that a BB can get and send.

Everyone should remember that QNX isn't going to be some huge new thing.....
    ...It's just the platform that will CATCH RIM UP to where the other folks are now ( and have been ).
    ...If it's got fully functional skype - functional pdf viewer and some good business apps.

People will come back.
    Last edited by pythons; 04-27-12 at 10:31 AM.
    04-27-12 10:29 AM
    To he** with carrier exclusively.

Its stupid and makes people not want to buy it.

I wouldn't switch to AT&T even if the latest holographic device is there.

Have you seen the iphone?

Its on AT&T and Verizon Wireless

That's why. I agree with all carriers having it at the same time.

It will also be good if all countries can get the device within a week threshold too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-27-12 10:34 AM
    If AT&T was getting exclusivity I'm sure we'd Already have a BB10 device as they wouldn't need to wait for LTE chipsets
    You still believe that BB10 isn't here because of the chips? I think it's much more likely they are still developing it, or at least testing it.
    04-27-12 10:46 AM
    I think RIM just needs to make sure someone wants to carry the device before worrying about exclusives. Remember the Pre 3? Of course not. That's because no one wanted to carry it.

At the time of the BB10 release, carriers will be budgeting for the next iPhone, Android special of the day, and Windows phone. It is not a given that carriers will pick up what they consider an also ran in the high-end space. Just ask HP.

If there is an exclusive, that means they could only find one carrier to pick it up. But, hey, at least someone will have picked it up. That is not the worst fate.
    04-27-12 11:24 AM
    this works the same for all phones... money talks
    04-27-12 11:31 AM
    AT&T was going to carry the Pre 3. You can get AT&T branded Pre 3s on eBay. That was all HP pulling out; remember, AT&T carried the Veer.

RIM has multiple phones on all of the major carriers, so I doubt it's only going to launch BB10 on one of them. The company does seem to have stronger ties to AT&T than the other carriers, but not overwhelmingly so.
    04-27-12 06:48 PM
    getting all the devices thru carrier testing at a reasonable rate will be the big thing. ATT is notoriously slow (read thorough) when it comes to this. VZW might be ready but have to wait another month for ATT. And then if ATT finds something they dont like you going to wait another 2 months to correct and test again.

I say give the devices to the carriers to test. When they are start getting feedback saying the devices are a go find out where other carriers stand and if they are not ready then too bad, release on the carriers that are. All this depends on timing and if they are really late in the year and such
    04-27-12 07:14 PM
    I say give the devices to Beta Tested Consumers from CB! We are the ones that make threads listing what we find as New and buggy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-27-12 07:23 PM
    RIM needs BB10 to be a full platform launch all at once. They cant hold off on anything or else they will have a lot of very upset customers. Remember when At&T wasn't launching the 9900, people were in hysterics. Yes they eventually did but RIM cant have any more eventuallys if they want to recover.

And one thing, i don't know if this is people not knowing or not, but LTE capable phones can work on a faux-G network. You can buy a LTE phone even if you dont live in an LTE area. Its rather silly but still do-able.
    04-28-12 12:31 AM
    I feel that carrier eclusitivity could and would be extremely detrimental to RIM's need to get as many devices into the consumer's hands as possible. Limiting its customer base and making its phones unobtainable unless your specific carrier provides the newest and greatest, is like a car manufacturer releasing a new super efficient, modestly priced luxury model that could only be purchased or seen at a select handful of dealerships. Placing the newest and greatest in the publics eye, relentless advertising, availability at EVERY location(world wide if possible) and cost affordability equals the much needed boost Blackberry has been lacking for nearly a decade! Rim CANT be the Pied Piper without its magical flute ... Play to the masses and you will soon see them flocking back. Play to a select few ... and it could be the proverbial nail in the coffin.
    10-26-12 10:04 AM
    Lumia 920 exclusivity to AT&T is going to ****** Lumia sales in the US I think (not that they sell well as it is), and I'm amazed that Nokia was dumb enough to do that. It would be equally bad idea for RIM to go exclusive with any of the new devices. RIM needs to be on everyone's network with the L and N.
    10-26-12 01:22 PM
    Given the leaked specs for the L-series, I think it is safe to say that they probably will not be any exclusive deals. But the thing about exclusives, the carrier must think that the device is compelling enough that they want to have consumers come to them and only them for it. RIM does not have a good rep right now and they probably do not have much leverage with the carriers so what if they refused to play ball with AT&T and AT&T decides not to carry them, what would you say then? That they should have given them exclusivity?
    10-29-12 02:17 PM
    The easier it is to get into the hands of consumers the more chance of success there will be. So that being said even if AT&T gave them an offer it would kill RIM. It's not that difficult to figure out.
    10-29-12 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD