This is not an OS change but that of the game. Find another game and try again. I just did with playing a video and "Ball Balance" version 1.0 (just a random pick). Also had app world open at the same time to check that version.
    i never said anything about videos. I did with jetpack joyride, shawdowgun and galaxy on fire. All pause
    01-30-13 09:38 PM
    iOS and Android doesn't have true multitasking.
    The Samsung split-screen is laggy and limited to few apps.

in BB10 browser, if you play YouTube and switch app, it still running. While in iOS or Android it pauses and removes the loaded part of the video, so you must buffer it again.

The only advantages of iOS and Android is the app ecosystem. A HUGE advantages.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-30-13 11:53 PM
    BB10 can totally do the split screen thing. I don't know why RIM/BB hasn't implemented it on PlayBook or BB10.

I don't use any iOS devices, and so can't really comment on how the multi-tasking works exactly. But on my android phone, what annoys the heck out of me is that I start the music player, I go use Twitter, Facebook, etc. while listening to music, and then when I'm trying to stop the music, even if I swipe the app out (i.e. quit it) using the ICS task switcher, the music is still playing. On PlayBook, all i need to do is flick the music app away and on BB10, it's pressing the X button.

I need to be in control of my phone and when I don't know if something's running or not, it's a problem. For instance, i can be downloading updates to my android apps on Android, move to another application, and then I go back to Google Play and nothing's been downloaded because the app stopped and then wouldn't download stuff in the background.

A phone should be like a computer, and PlayBook and BB10 is the closest "computer" I can find. iOS and Android just doesn't do it for me.
    Sucroid, melb_me and SDTRMG like this.
    01-31-13 01:08 AM
    i never said anything about videos. I did with jetpack joyride, shawdowgun and galaxy on fire. All pause
    As mentioned in an earlier post, it is up to the game devs to decide if a game should pause when minimized. Most games pause because there aren't a whole lot of games that can still be played while minimized.

As a Dev, I don't care much for the official "multitasking" API on iOS. It is worse than wearing a straitjacket. As for Samsung's multiwindow implementation, I believe the app needs to be multi-window enabled. Whereas on PB and now BB10, you don't have to worry about any of this crap.
    01-31-13 03:40 AM
    BB10 does multitasking at an OS level, basically sh*t the user won't see

Samsung S3 does multitasking at a front-end level, side by side apps, mimicking multitasking, and it works.
    brianatbb likes this.
    01-31-13 03:57 AM
    Android does multitasking no problem, the issue with any multitasking mobile OS is that you have the potential of Apps that the user is not currently using taking up valuable resources thus making the users experience crap mostly by lagging and eating up battery life. This is because of the relatively few resources a phone has in RAM and processing power.

To deal with this reality Android manages the resources of the phone by intelligently killing background apps when resources get low, in order to try and make sure the app that is being used can continue running smoothly. When an Android App is running in the background it can at anytime receive a signal that it is being killed, android Devs can if they choose intercept these signals and perform any clean up and save state of the App, they can then restore the state of the app when the user goes back to the App.

As to video not playing in the background on Android I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Android, its simply an implementation of the App, if App is not in foreground pause video which makes sense for the majority of cases.

Apple chose to limit multitasking even further to ensure the user experience is as smooth as possible and to preserve battery life. (I only have limited experience with iOS)

WP8 also has limited the running of background Apps for this same reason.

These are not some architectural limitations of the OSes, these are decisions made by the companies as to what they believe will be the best experience for the user.

We will see how BB10 deals with this, there are some reviews citing poor battery life and sluggishness when running lots of Apps.
    mikeo007 and aniym like this.
    01-31-13 06:18 AM
    May I ask why anybody would want video running in the background while not actually viewing it? This actually did work on iOS up to version 6.0. For some reason Apple disabled that and it now pauses video if you switch to another app. Probably to save on battery life and because 99 percent of users would have no need for this. IOS does do plenty of things in the background though.
    AbuYazeedUK and raremage like this.
    01-31-13 07:39 AM
    iOS and Android doesn't have true multitasking.
    The Samsung split-screen is laggy and limited to few apps.

in BB10 browser, if you play YouTube and switch app, it still running. While in iOS or Android it pauses and removes the loaded part of the video, so you must buffer it again.

The only advantages of iOS and Android is the app ecosystem. A HUGE advantages.
    If two apps running at the same time on one screen is not "true multitasking" then I'm not sure what is. By the way, what is so great about having a video running while you have it minimized? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a VIDEO running in the first place? Aren't videos made to actually watch?...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 08:16 AM
    If two apps running at the same time on one screen is not "true multitasking" then I'm not sure what is. By the way, what is so great about having a video running while you have it minimized? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a VIDEO running in the first place? Aren't videos made to actually watch?...lol

Scenario - My buddy sends me a message to check out a band he found on youtube, I go, find it, start the video (which may just have a placeholder pic so no real vid). Now I want to respond and have a conversation during this, so I minimize, go to the message and go back and forth with our thoughts, all the while the music is playing in the background. Useful to me.

Second scenario - found a good video of George Carlin. It's a 30 min set. I have a few emails come in and need to respond to them. I minimize, read and respond, and all the while, I get to listen to the show and get a good laugh.

These are 2 of many examples of times that having this feature is quite beneficial.
    01-31-13 08:45 AM
    Android is basically a glorified app switcher- no multitasking.
    Android Multi Tasks. Press home instead of Back to keep the app running. GS3 has 2GB Home it should not be closing anything in the background unless you're running a metric ton of apps in the background.
    01-31-13 08:59 AM
    So if I were to go to Youtube.com in the Galaxy S3's browser then mimimize the browser and start taking pictures, would the video still be playing?
    No, cause that makes literally no sense. YouTube isn't a music player. You can run it beside another app in split view mode, though...
    01-31-13 09:00 AM
    Scenario - My buddy sends me a message to check out a band he found on youtube, I go, find it, start the video (which may just have a placeholder pic so no real vid). Now I want to respond and have a conversation during this, so I minimize, go to the message and go back and forth with our thoughts, all the while the music is playing in the background. Useful to me.

Second scenario - found a good video of George Carlin. It's a 30 min set. I have a few emails come in and need to respond to them. I minimize, read and respond, and all the while, I get to listen to the show and get a good laugh.

These are 2 of many examples of times that having this feature is quite beneficial.
    I guess. But you are not actually viewing video anymore, you are listening to audio. I do see your point, but most people would have little use for this. Wouldn't the band that you are listening to offer some type of audio track?
    01-31-13 09:56 AM

Scenario: you are probably one of twelve people on planet earth that do what you just stated.

mikeo007, aniym and Donvald like this.
    01-31-13 09:59 AM
    I guess. But you are not actually viewing video anymore, you are listening to audio. I do see your point, but most people would have little use for this. Wouldn't the band that you are listening to offer some type of audio track?
    I use this quite often on my desktop. Have something going on in the background while I do something else for a moment. I may not be viewing the video at that moment but have no issues with missing a snippet of it while I take care of somthing else. If it is a video that I don't want to miss any of, I can simply pause it before going onto a separate task. . As for the bands having an audio clip, a lot of the time no... they may put up a teaser clip, or only a few songs, and even then, it's a lot of website switching and searching as opposed to just using youtube. A lot of people upload audio tracks to youtube. It's a great place to find new music that you wouldn't normally stuble accross.
    world saviour and SDTRMG like this.
    01-31-13 10:04 AM
    Similar to what someone said, some times I am listening to music on YouTube or a playlist while I do other things. Other times, I am watching a video but want to read and maybe reply to a message quickly so having it on in the background allows me to avoid disrupting my movie.

Although, I would like multi-Window support like on the note. I'm thinking maybe you tap and hold on an active frame and then it glows or shakes and then you can swipe it up to be in top half of screen or down to bottom half. Or maybe you tap two and hold and it automatically makes it split screen. Then while in split screen, hold one again and it glows/shakes and then swipe down (if top app) or up (if bottom app) to have it go fullscreen again. In that case, the other app is minimised to the first active frame until you minimise the app you are using. Thoughts?
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-31-13 10:09 AM
    Similar to what someone said, some times I am listening to music on YouTube or a playlist while I do other things. Other times, I am watching a video but want to read and maybe reply to a message quickly so having it on in the background allows me to avoid disrupting my movie.

Although, I would like multi-Window support like on the note. I'm thinking maybe you tap and hold on an active frame and then it glows or shakes and then you can swipe it up to be in top half of screen or down to bottom half. Or maybe you tap two and hold and it automatically makes it split screen. Then while in split screen, hold one again and it glows/shakes and then swipe down (if top app) or up (if bottom app) to have it go fullscreen again. In that case, the other app is minimised to the first active frame until you minimise the app you are using. Thoughts?
    That's not a bad idea, but I think the problem you would have with the Z10 is that the screen is probably a bit small for two open windows. I have a Note 2 and I doubt I would care about having two open screens on a phone much smaller than my screen.

01-31-13 10:14 AM
    Scenario: you are probably one of twelve people on planet earth that do what you just stated.

I make 13 because I often times watch TV while I use my laptop to do work or read articles. Why do i need to watch a news anchors face or see the saliva all over Chris Matthews lips? lol
    cjcampbell and kbz1960 like this.
    01-31-13 10:46 AM
    Android and iOS will not Multitasking like the Playbook. Playbook is the only true Multitasking mobile device.
    My Nokia N9 begs to differ.

a phone that uses an edge-swipe based multitasking UI built with Qt long before BBOS10 rolled in.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    01-31-13 10:48 AM
    Android does multi-task but it puts the control out of the user's hands. It's difficult to figure out whether something is actually running. For instance, Skype video call can run in the background if there's enough RAM, but if you start doing other stuff, Android will shut the app down. That's the biggest advantage the BB10 over Android. Problem is that they disabled the video running in the active frame (it's more like WebOS now where the audio would keep playing if you had a YouTube video running).
    Just like OS2 on the PB will shut down apps when ram runs low. I can keep up to six apps 'running'on my HTC One V, which has only 512 megs of ram. My PB, with one gig, can run up to eight (it seems). So I expected BB10, with 2 gigs of ram, could keep more running. But it can't.
    Last edited by brianatbb; 02-02-13 at 10:52 AM.
    01-31-13 11:05 AM

Quite frankly, I don't care, as the system does what I want it to do, and therefore, it suits MY needs.
    Admorris, Masahiro, SDTRMG and 1 others like this.
    01-31-13 11:17 AM
    Quite frankly, I don't care, as the system does what I want it to do, and therefore, it suits MY needs.
    That's all that matters really

cjcampbell likes this.
    01-31-13 11:25 AM
    So our conclusion is, both multitask, but BB10 is simpler while running 2+ apps at once and Android is better at running 2 apps on 1 screen.

Simple. As. That.
    01-31-13 11:26 AM
    So our conclusion is, both multitask, but BB10 is simpler while running 2+ apps at once and Android is better at running 2 apps on 1 screen.

Simple. As. That.
    It's not a conclusion that everyone agrees with:

The homescreen concept is interesting, but failed to convince me that it was a better solution than what Android proposes. The idea that an app can become to a widget when not running is novel, but you have no sense of which app will become a widget, and you have no control over whether or not that widget will always be visible. In fact, you have no control over your multitasking / homescreen arrangement save for the fact that you can kill a process. The apps order, or if they stay in place, is determined simply by which one you've most recently had open. And once you get to app nine... your old apps are dismissed unceremoniously.

The end result is a feeling of unpredictability. Not only can you not control which apps remain open or where they're located, you also don't have a consistent sense of where to find certain pieces of information. If you're like me, you like to be able to glance at things like the weather quickly and conveniently � even Apple gets this one kind of right in iOS' Notification Center � but BlackBerry 10 provides no such option.
    I don't feel BlackBerry 10 deals with multitasking or notifications as effectively as other platforms do (most notably Android), but it's not a total strikeout.
    Donvald likes this.
    01-31-13 11:44 AM
    I use this quite often on my desktop. Have something going on in the background while I do something else for a moment.
    Your desktop is plugged in to an electrical outlet. Your cellphone is running off of a tiny battery.
    01-31-13 05:48 PM
    Your desktop is plugged in to an electrical outlet. Your cellphone is running off of a tiny battery.
    I fail to see your point? I can do the same things with either one. Isn't that the point of multitasking??
    01-31-13 06:17 PM
352 1234 ...