I'm spending the last night of the long weekend (for the US) at my cousins house in NC. After talking to him about the battery bundle, he mentioned that he gets over a day and a half on one charge. I picked up the bundle because at best I would get 15 hours of battery from 100% to 0%. Being here for a couple of days and looking at my charts from battery guru, it's dawned on me that there is something I find strange.

I live about 10 minutes from the downtown city of Philadelphia. My cousin lives about 15 minutes from the capital of NC. It has me thinking and wondering if switching off towers actually does more harm than good for our batteries? I guess not just for BlackBerry, but for all new LTE devices.

I could spend a day at home and still only get about 12 hours before I get to 20%. As I sit and type this, it's been 14 hours since I took my Z10 off the charger and I'm currently sitting at 42%.

Anyone else experience these kinds of results? Anyone have any thoughts on the situation / scenario?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Serkle K; 05-26-13 at 10:41 PM.
    05-26-13 10:28 PM
    Mine definitely does better in the city where I get 4G, but, only 2G at home and I use Wi Fi...I still manage to get 15 hours on a charge

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:31 PM
    Some suburbs have a few NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard) who fight tooth and nail to stop the building of cell towers. If you don't have enough towers, cellular devices are constantly jumping tower to tower. That causes the transmitter to be on more. It is the mobile radio transmitter that kills battery in the radio subsystem.

I can't say for any given area what the politics are but, statistically the Philadelphia area votes very heavily for Democrats. Where many southern urban areas are mixed. I'll leave it to you to determine if the voting pattern relates to the number of NIMBYs. I would remind you, however, it was the Kennedys who stopped the building of a wind farm off the coast of Martha's Vineyard.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 03:16 AM
    Some suburbs have a few NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard) who fight tooth and nail to stop the building of cell towers. If you don't have enough towers, cellular devices are constantly jumping tower to tower. That causes the transmitter to be on more. It is the mobile radio transmitter that kills battery in the radio subsystem.

I can't say for any given area what the politics are but, statistically the Philadelphia area votes very heavily for Democrats. Where many southern urban areas are mixed. I'll leave it to you to determine if the voting pattern relates to the number of NIMBYs. I would remind you, however, it was the Kennedys who stopped the building of a wind farm off the coast of Martha's Vineyard.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I'm on the Jersey side of Philly. We've had towers for years. I always have LTE coverage. And it's a more populated area, not quite urban, but definitely not suburban. Where I am in NC, there are actually less towers a round here and I'm always on LTE as well and I'm getting better battery life as opposed to being around a more populated area that gets LTE as well with more cell towers available. And the area is a developing area, very suburban and spread out compared to where I live.

So I'm really wondering if with LTE and the availability of towers, is there more of an issue with switching towers over staying on one tower? Which, just that thought alone makes for more sense.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 04:50 AM