I sit here too late on a school night trying to think what I want to do on January 30th.

What I want is to buy a device. I want to activate it in a room surrounded by other BB enthusiasts and then share PINs and start BBMing and playing with NFC and even AR apps.

How can I do that when the Jan 30th launch is a private event for press and other bigwigs, and the devices are unlikely to be available for purchase on any given carrier (never mind all carriers that serve Toronto) on that specific date?

We need a "Release Day" event.

If the carriers want to do this right, they'll set aside their specific agendas and will coordinate release of the device, so that BlackBerry fans who have been waiting will be able to go to a single place (a flagship store, a public square, a convention centre, etc) and pick their favourite carrier from all those where they can get service, and buy and activate the device on the spot, then PARTY with other BB10 owners, all of whom have just got their device hours / minutes before, and have just activated and are part of a new brotherhood of "I have a device with NFC and I have someone in the same room I can NFC with!"

I don't want to go, by myself, down to the local Virgin Mobile store and pick up one of the 5 devices they have in stock or have them be out of stock and I have to phone every day and show up at exactly 2 PM to get whatever crumbs the delivery truck throws our way that day. How is that any fun?

I might as well mail-order the thing and be pleasantly surprised when the delivery notification shows up in my email. Woo.pee.

If it was a carrier-agnostic event, where BB10 fans of all carrier-loyalties could attend at the same time, well, you would have an event only matched by launch day iPhone sales at Apple stores... (which is kind-of an argument for BlackBerry stores to exist, but... they don't exist in Toronto... but I digress).

Is there any chance in ayche-ee-double-hockey-sticks that such an event could take place? If it has to be at one of FS or BB, so be it, but that seems kind-of anti-climactic... we'll be "in the way" of people buying vacuum cleaners and PS3 games.
    01-15-13 12:13 AM