Why is this feature even being talked about since the BB10 doesn't have multi view panels and probably never will unless they increase the screen size substantially?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    I was just saying that he said in the video that it was true multitasking but its not, and you also dont need to have two apps to be able to control two components it can be in the same app.

They probably will not add the two app screen to the phone, it would only be useful on the tablet
    01-17-13 02:28 PM
    Why is this feature even being talked about since the BB10 doesn't have multi view panels and probably never will unless they increase the screen size substantially?

That's what I was wondering as well. Why nitpick the way Samsung does this feature when BB10 doesn't even have the functionality yet? I agree about increasing the screen size in terms of the z10, but I could see the multi window functionality be beneficial on the Aristo.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-17-13 02:29 PM
    Well, to be fair to BB10, the pull down menus on iOS and Android still require one to cover the entire screen. The BB10 notifications allow a partial view of both screens and gives the user the choice in their next action.

I stand corrected upon the multitasking abilities of Android. I don't think BB10 will get the functionality to do that until RIM decides to use larger screens on its phones. Even then, I don't know if RIM will ever go that route. Still, it would be a pretty cool feature to have on the PlayBook version of BB10!
    Not entirely true. You can "peek" at all your android notifications (Facebook, email, texts etc) without covering the entire screen...they're just pulled down from the top instead of the side. Now, if you want to open any one of them, then yes, you will have to pull the notification window all the way down and cover the screen. At least it's that way on Android.

pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-17-13 02:29 PM
    I was just saying that he said in the video that it was true multitasking but its not, and you also dont need to have two apps to be able to control two components it can be in the same app.

They probably will not add the two app screen to the phone, it would only be useful on the tablet
    Again, people have used "true multitasking" for everything that concerns being able to jump from app to app without having to shut it down, utilizing very few gestures/keystrokes. BBOS has true multitasking. Android has true multitasking. BB10 will have true multitasking. I'm unable to speak where Apple's multitasking is now since I don't use that platform. Same with WP8. True multitasking doesn't mean being able to manipulate two panes on the same screen at the exact same time. Being able to manipulate two panes on the same screen is a new step in the evolution of mobile multitasking.
    01-17-13 02:35 PM
    Not entirely true. You can "peek" at all your android notifications (Facebook, email, texts etc) without covering the entire screen...they're just pulled down from the top instead of the side. Now, if you want to open any one of them, then yes, you will have to pull the notification window all the way down and cover the screen. At least it's that way on Android.

This is true. A swipe of the notification tray sweeps it all the way down. However if you keep your finger on the task bar, and keep contact with the screen as you pull down, it shows you your list of notifications as they appear in the tray. Letting go will snap the tray back up.
    01-17-13 02:38 PM
    i think the OP set theirself up for failure with the title of this thread, even if his/her intentions were genuinely of information seeking purposes. if you remove the "just" from the title it seems a bit more like an honest question, where as right now it seems like he/she is stoking the flames before even reading the post.

like others have said, i think you can't really judge just how different BB10 is from the other OSs until its in hand. 13 days to go...
    Stocklone likes this.
    01-17-13 02:44 PM
    Am I missing something, or is a discussion of Android phablet split screening completely off topic thread disruption? Or maybe I should treat it as Android troll-spam?
    jdhooghe and 416to604 like this.
    01-17-13 02:47 PM
    There is more than one way to skin a cat, but only so many ways to do it efficiently. So yes, there are going to be similarities between existing and new OS's. But honestly, I don't even like Android in comparison to BB 7.1, no less a revamped BB10.
    01-17-13 04:50 PM
    I have to disagree with you eh. I used both the galaxy note and S3 and I wish it was similar, but it's not. The blackberry is better because of one reason only, efficiency
    01-17-13 06:09 PM
    The PB cannot run two applications at the same time, in a useable format. Sure, you can have a video playing, and then minimize and watch it playing as a small tile, but the minute you open up another application, you are no longer able to see that video running. The same goes for any other application on the PB, they do not work side by side each other in unison.

Edit: I believe the capability exists on the PB for multiple applications be open and useable at the same time, however the software isn't set up for it yet. Perhaps if the bring BB10 to the PB that might be one of the features they implement. However, the 1GB of RAM on the PB would definitely hinder it's ability to do it smoothly imo.
    For almost two years now we have been able to capture video while browsing the Web and taking notes. This is really handy for training seminars when we want to capture the speaker and highlight key points. We like it and find it "useable".

Prior to Samsung's implementation of the split screen functionality no one was able to reproduce this out of the box on other mobile platforms (iOS, android or BB7) is it there now? Can it be done when the second app is fullscreen?
    01-17-13 06:26 PM
    Am I missing something, or is a discussion of Android phablet split screening completely off topic thread disruption? Or maybe I should treat it as Android troll-spam?
    No, I don't think so. This is a differentiating part of why BB10 is not an android skin or vice versa. However, we are not aware of whether or not BB10 will or will not actually have split screen capability (although likely not).
    01-17-13 06:26 PM
    Went to a RIM event yesterday and the place was packed with people and they were excited beyond belief. The phone was shown and its super slick and very fast, my S3 looked boring after this event.
    Stocklone likes this.
    01-17-13 06:40 PM
    Wow is this thread still going on about that one os can do over the other. Such a shame but I guess users will defend their device of choice.
    01-17-13 06:48 PM
    If I respond to OP, I am afraid I will be trolling, so I won't respond
    01-17-13 07:14 PM
    Wow is this thread still going on about that one os can do over the other. Such a shame but I guess users will defend their device of choice.
    My only point in posting anything in this thread is simply to defend the truth about Android. I HATE seeing misinformation post after post. I don't know if people just haven't really used Android and are regurgitating what they hear from their buddies, or know what they're saying is untrue and just don't care. Either way it's frustrating on a couple fronts...I can't stand sheep and I can't stand fibbing for the sake of defending your point of view.

01-17-13 07:18 PM
    I have to disagree with you eh. I used both the galaxy note and S3 and I wish it was similar, but it's not. The blackberry is better because of one reason only, efficiency
    Curious to see what you think is more "efficient" on Blackberry? Specifically

01-17-13 07:19 PM
    My only point in posting anything in this thread is simply to defend the truth about Android. I HATE seeing misinformation post after post. I don't know if people just haven't really used Android and are regurgitating what they hear from their buddies, or know what they're saying is untrue and just don't care. Either way it's frustrating on a couple fronts...I can't stand sheep and I can't stand fibbing for the sake of defending your point of view.

I get that and I agree but how many older android devices are still on the market. Android has only been a big player the past year and a half the rest are rather buggy and slow like those have said. Yes the modern android is great but the older ones don't even come close, and there are still alot that have not bought modern android devices.
    01-17-13 07:38 PM
    I get that and I agree but how many older android devices are still on the market. Android has only been a big player the past year and a half the rest are rather buggy and slow like those have said. Yes the modern android is great but the older ones don't even come close, and there are still alot that have not bought modern android devices.
    And I get where you're coming from, but this thread is about the latest BB, so I find it only fair to compare it to the latest Android devices as well. If you want to talk older Android devices, then we could talk about the original Storm/Pearl etc.

jdhooghe likes this.
    01-17-13 07:41 PM
    01-17-13 07:44 PM
    Point?

01-17-13 07:45 PM
    And I get where you're coming from, but this thread is about the latest BB, so I find it only fair to compare it to the latest Android devices as well. If you want to talk older Android devices, then we could talk about the original Storm/Pearl etc.

Agreed but I do think most refer to what is more common. I'm not trying to argue just making a point what more people see to date about androids. The same about what everyone thinks about blackberry based on past devices
    01-17-13 07:49 PM
    Agreed but I do think most refer to what is more common. I'm not trying to argue just making a point what more people see to date about androids. The same about what everyone thinks about blackberry based on past devices
    I'm definitely not arguing, I hope you don't take it like that. I just like to compare apples to apples. I see no point in comparing a phone that is being released in a couple weeks to phones that were produced a year ago. No biggie

01-17-13 07:54 PM
    I'm definitely not arguing, I hope you don't take it like that. I just like to compare apples to apples. I see no point in comparing a phone that is being released in a couple weeks to phones that were produced a year ago. No biggie

Agreed, my only beef with Android is the security issues and fact that I have to keep spyware and malware on a close eye. It's just another thing to worry about and another app to have running that will lag the system down a bit more
    01-17-13 07:59 PM
    Agreed, my only beef with Android is the security issues and fact that I have to keep spyware and malware on a close eye. It's just another thing to worry about and another app to have running that will lag the system down a bit more
    I have heard that for years, but for the hundreds of millions of Android phones sold, I'm not sure I've ever read an article referencing an actual real world example of someone's data being exposed or compromised.

01-17-13 08:07 PM
    I completely agree with you except for me it looked like iOS and when I asked, people jumped down my throats. I asked what differentiated BB10 from the competition and got some "you are a troll" remarks at the very beginning but other people kindly took the time to answer my question. For me, BB10 does look like iOS but the main things that have going for it are multitasking, peeking and security. I'm not convinced that people are going to go for a BB when all they see, whether this is true or not, an iPhone clone. The average person just doesn't care about the things that BB is doing. For me, BB10 looks really cool and I want to get a Z10 even if it is going to look like iOS just because I've never had a BB before and I would love to use it and experience it. Anyway, my 2 cents. I just hope people don't continue to jump down your throat just because you're an outsider wanting to know the differences instead of just drinking the Blackberry cool-aid.
    your display pic is of a troll face and you wonder why you got called a troll?
    01-17-13 08:12 PM
187 ... 45678