do you have a video of android using to functions at the same time, I have an android in front of me right now, and it will not let me do two things at once. I use lists as an example because they are pretty basic components.

As regards the multiply list that i was talking about yes you would not use 4 lists at the same time, I said 4 because when i was making an app i tested it with 4 lists. 2 is fairly easy you use at the same time.
    I can't make a video of my own phone, but I can assure you that I can watch a YouTube video while I'm scrolling around this forum or watching a second video I have taken with my phone. This is not a feature in every Android phone...this is specific to the Note 2 and Note 10.1 and some versions of the S3. I'm sure this will become standard on other Android based phones as time goes on.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-17-13 12:32 PM
    I can't make a video of my own phone, but I can assure you that I can watch a YouTube video while I'm scrolling around this forum or watching a second video I have taken with my phone. This is not a feature in every Android phone...this is specific to the Note 2 and Note 10.1 and some versions of the S3. I'm sure this will become standard on other Android based phones as time goes on.

Yes I know Android can watch a video and scroll a list at the same time, I was refering to the user control multiple thing at the same time, for example can you scroll a list with one figure then use another to pause the video or pick a different video?
    01-17-13 12:39 PM
    Yes I know Android can watch a video and scroll a list at the same time, I was refering to the user control multiple thing at the same time, for example can you scroll a list with one figure then use another to pause the video or pick a different video?
    YES...I don't know how else to explain it. I can run any two apps on the same screen at the exact same time however I want. I don't have to pause one to run the other and vice versa...they are running simultaneously.

01-17-13 12:44 PM
    do you have a video of android using to functions at the same time, I have an android in front of me right now, and it will not let me do two things at once. I use lists as an example because they are pretty basic components.

As regards the multiply list that i was talking about yes you would not use 4 lists at the same time, I said 4 because when i was making an app i tested it with 4 lists. 2 is fairly easy you use at the same time.
    Like Admorris said, right now the split screen functionality is only available on certain devices. However you can definitely do several things at once on Android, just not on the same scren. You can have music going, have gps navigation going, respond to an email, look at the calendar to confirm a date then go back to the email you're composing, etc.

The problem here is that people who aren't familiar with Android at all are just now hearing about Android now being able to do "two things at once" and they're thinking that Android is just now getting multitasking abilities. They don't understand that it refers to being able to have two apps share the screen at the same time. I'm not saying this is you, big bb, just what I've observed recently.
    Admorris likes this.
    01-17-13 12:44 PM
    Like Admorris said, right now the split screen functionality is only available on certain devices. However you can definitely do several things at once on Android, just not on the same scren. You can have music going, have gps navigation going, respond to an email, look at the calendar to confirm a date then go back to the email you're composing, etc.

The problem here is that people who aren't familiar with Android at all are just now hearing about Android now being able to do "two things at once" and they're thinking that Android is just now getting multitasking abilities. They don't understand that it refers to being able to have two apps share the screen at the same time. I'm not saying this is you, big bb, just what I've observed recently.
    Yes there are people that do not know what Android can do. I probably was not explaining mine self very well on what i was referring to, what I was meaning was to control multiple things at the same time, I used the lists as an example. I don't have a note 2 so with the note 2 with two different apps on the screen can you control one component in each app at the same time (like scrolling a list in each) playing a video does not count because the user is not controlling it.

Just wondering because for example i could make an app that is split into to screens, one screen with a PDF reader and the other screen for twitter and I could zoom in and out on the PDF or scroll, and at the exact same time scroll my twitter feed. so both would move at the same time.
    01-17-13 12:59 PM
    Yes there are people that do not know what Android can do. I probably was not explaining mine self very well on what i was referring to, what I was meaning was to control multiple things at the same time, I used the lists as an example. I don't have a note 2 so with the note 2 with two different apps on the screen can you control one component in each app at the same time (like scrolling a list in each) playing a video does not count because the user is not controlling it.

Just wondering because for example i could make an app that is split into to screens, one screen with a PDF reader and the other screen for twitter and I could zoom in and out on the PDF or scroll, and at the exact same time scroll my twitter feed. so both would move at the same time.
    Yes you can actually control two apps (ie: scroll) at the same time.

Edit - I take that back...you cannot scroll two apps at the same time. Not sure I see the point in having that ability other than to say I can scroll two apps on the same screen at the same time, but different strokes foe different folks I suppose.

01-17-13 01:05 PM
    I seriously doubt the value of this ability when constrained to a smartphone screen. Concurrent multi-windows sharing screen real estate are only marginally usable even on smaller notebooks.
    That was my first reaction when I read it, but I also freely admit I haven't tried it either. I find the multitasking on my 13" MacBook a big downground from my 20" iMac before it. Had trouble envisioning it on a 4" screen. :-) Will have to chase down one of my buddies with a Samsung soon ...
    01-17-13 01:06 PM

Check out some of the demo videos of this earlier in the thread.
    01-17-13 01:11 PM
    Yes you can actually control two apps (ie: scroll) at the same time.

Edit - I take that back...you cannot scroll two apps at the same time. Not sure I see the point in having that ability other than to say I can scroll two apps on the same screen at the same time, but different strokes foe different folks I suppose.

I was just say that in the video he said that it has true multitasking, if you can't control multiple component at the same time, it is not true multitasking.
    01-17-13 01:14 PM
    Check out some of the demo videos of this earlier in the thread.
    Yes I already watched them, and in not one of the video he controls multiple components at the same time.
    01-17-13 01:16 PM
    I was just say that in the video he said that it has true multitasking, if you can't control multiple component at the same time, it is not true multitasking.
    True multitasking in the sense that there is no other phone in the planet that does it and that actually controlling 2 separate apps at once is pointless unless you have three hands.

I guess by your definition of multitasking, my 8 core, 16 GB ram, 3ghz desktop doesn't multitask either

01-17-13 01:16 PM
    People have used the "true multitasking" buzzword for years. To me that just means any system that allows you to move freely between apps without shutting them down, and using minimal keystrokes/gestures to get from app to app. Like if I'm composing an email, needing to go to my calendar to check a date, sending a quick text to someone verifying who all the email should go to, etc without having to restart any apps.
    01-17-13 01:21 PM
    True multitasking in the sense that there is no other phone in the planet that does it and that actually controlling 2 separate apps at once is pointless unless you have three hands.

You only need two fingers to control two things at once
    01-17-13 01:23 PM
    You only need two fingers to control two things at once
    That's getting a little silly. Multitasking has NEVER been defined on a phone or computer as actually controlling apps simultaneously. As stated above, multitasking is keeping an app open in it's current state while using another app. Considering the BB10 can't keep two apps open on the screen at the same time, I don't exactly see the advantage of this. Actually, even if two apps could be open on the screen at the same time, I still see 0 use for this.

01-17-13 01:28 PM
    That's getting a little silly. Multitasking has NEVER been defined on a phone or computer as actually controlling apps simultaneously. As stated above, multitasking is keeping an app open in it's current state while using another app. Considering the BB10 can't keep two apps open on the screen at the same time, I don't exactly see the advantage of this. Actually, even if two apps could be open on the screen at the same time, I still see 0 use for this.

Just as you said before different strokes for different folks, I totally see the use for it.
    01-17-13 01:36 PM

Agreed. The best use of having two apps up on the screen at once is to view information on one app while typing on another. Like viewing a calendar or list of email addresses and composing an email, watching a video presentation and taking notes, looking at a map and typing directions into a text message, etc. I don't think my brain can even multitask as well as to manipulate two apps at exactly the same time!
    01-17-13 01:36 PM
    Just as you said before different strokes for different folks, I totally see the use for it.
    What would you do with this feature?
    sectionsix likes this.
    01-17-13 01:37 PM
    Yes this is a troll I smell lol
    01-17-13 01:43 PM
    What would you do with this feature?
    I look at it from a business standpoint, where you have a lot of data that you need to compare/look at.
    01-17-13 01:47 PM
    I look at it from a business standpoint, where you have a lot of data that you need to compare/look at.
    And how would that not be obtained by the way the Note currently does it?
    01-17-13 01:50 PM
    And how would that not be obtained by the way the Note currently does it?
    Like i said previously scrolling two lists at the same time.
    01-17-13 01:52 PM
    Like i said previously scrolling two lists at the same time.
    But you *do* see that you can go back and forth, on the same screen, and manipulate the pages, right? Nothing to back out of. Just move your finger to scroll the other pane, which takes a split second. You can only read one thing at a time, after all.
    01-17-13 01:58 PM
    But you *do* see that you can go back and forth, on the same screen, and manipulate the pages, right? Nothing to back out of. Just move your finger to scroll the other pane, which takes a split second. You can only read one thing at a time, after all.
    Yes I *do* see that you can. I personally if I can get something done faster I will pick that way, the only time I will not pick the faster way is if it compromises security
    01-17-13 02:20 PM
    Yes I *do* see that you can. I personally if I can get something done faster I will pick that way, the only time I will not pick the faster way is if it compromises security
    Why is this feature even being talked about since the BB10 doesn't have multi view panels and probably never will unless they increase the screen size substantially?

01-17-13 02:22 PM
    Both Android and iOS (to a lesser extent) have notifications "one swipe away", so they are exactly the same in that aspect. As for Peek being two applications at once, the new Samsung software allows you to run multiple applications (2-3) at the same time, on the same screen, and be able to use them in unison..even BB10 (on phones) won't be able to do that.
    Well, to be fair to BB10, the pull down menus on iOS and Android still require one to cover the entire screen. The BB10 notifications allow a partial view of both screens and gives the user the choice in their next action.

I stand corrected upon the multitasking abilities of Android. I don't think BB10 will get the functionality to do that until RIM decides to use larger screens on its phones. Even then, I don't know if RIM will ever go that route. Still, it would be a pretty cool feature to have on the PlayBook version of BB10!
    01-17-13 02:25 PM
187 ... 34567 ...