OK - so totally objective view from a former BB user (blast me if you must, just my 2 cents) - I had the 8700, Pearl, Curve, Storm1 before switching over to Android (Droid x, and now Galaxy Nexus). I loved my BB's and was checking Crackberry all the time for the latest and greatest. I am intrigued by the new BB10 os, but I don't see a lot of differences between BB10, and Android. They look to have similar gestures, and it seems that Android apps will run on BB10. So, it begs the ? - why the **** did RIM spin its wheels for years, and lose billions of dollars, and the complete market share it had so that it could develop what looks like a heavily skinned version of Android. I do like the way it looks, but it doesn't really look like they are doing anything new with this that we haven't seen before from the "others". I mean, if your gonna redesign, and rebrand your whole image, make it look like something that we havent seen already. Why didn't they just use Android, and offer their own applications that are propriety to their phones - BBM, and BB security, mail, etc. similar to what Nokia does with Lumia Windows Phones. For this reason, I actually have to give credit to Microsoft for doing something different with their WP8 OS - the live tiles, etc. At least its different. Unless RIM is holding some "killer" feature close to its vest, like some sort of amazing wireless desktop docking system, or something we have never seen before, I don't really see why people will give up their Android/Iphone's to switch back to BB.

I personally am on the fence - I have loved my Android phones, but they are buggy. I have an Ipad 2 (hate it, would never buy another apple product again), and just recently bought the MS Surface RT, and love the thing. It's features are light years ahead of any other tablet on the market, and it has me really intrigued - when my cell contract is up, I am really contemplating switching to either Windows phone, or back to BB (again, if there is that killer feature), or I might just stick with Android.

Either way - I do like what BB is doing - I just hope for RIM's sake, they do have something different and innovative, not just another smartphone with static app icons.
    01-16-13 02:13 PM
    Or why don't you wait until January 30th and see for yourself?
    01-16-13 02:17 PM
    I have loved my Android phones, but they are buggy.
    You pretty much answered your own question there as to why they didn't hop ship to Android.
    01-16-13 02:20 PM
    Can the forums have a rule that people can't create threads until "x" number of posts?

Too many people make an account only to troll.
    01-16-13 02:25 PM
    trying hard not to raise to the trolls bait, but it is getting harder and harder every day
    01-16-13 02:29 PM
    To be completely honest, I don't see the similarities with Android. If you mean that the Active Frames look like widgets, that's a bit of a stretch. Widgets are just that; minimized applets. Active Frames are entirely new concept; leaving an application open and being able to be kept up to date on its processes even while it's not being used. In addition to that, the entire look and feel of BB10 is different than Android.

Anyway, Android is not a secure platform. It's incredibly vulnerable and while it does a bit of everything, it doesn't solve the problems of hardcore BlackBerry users like the BB solution does. Messaging and communication is the primary focus of BB10 and I like the direction that RIM has gone with its OS. I, personally, don't like the look and feel of Android. It feels like a continuing beta project (even the current versions) and it's not a viable solution. Here's what I've written about Android in a previous post explaining why it's not a good route for RIM:

"No, I don't think RIM will ever use Android. I think RIM will live or die by BB10, and as of right now, I don't see an end to RIM. I'm fairly confident that BB10 will catch-on in the long run.

Anyway, by 2015, I think there will be significantly less Android manufacturers than there are today. Since Google acquired Motorola, every Android manufacturer has been looking for a Plan B. Now with Samsung, Android's only successful hardware manufacturer, moving away from Android and going with Tizen (as well as other Windows Phone-based devices), and other open-source OSs like Ubuntu and Sailfish, every hardware manufacturer will be looking to get their own unique footprint in the smartphone game.

Android simply doesn't provide a company long-term sustainability. I'd worry more about Android and its manufacturers than RIM and BB10."

To conclude, BlackBerry 10 is different from what's on the market. It allows for multitasking like never before and puts an emphasis on messaging and communication. Remember that we haven't seen all of BB10 yet so to say that there aren't any "killer features" before 30 January is premature.

Give it a chance to be shown off in its final form.
    01-16-13 02:29 PM
    There actually are a couple of thing that are different about BB10.

"Active Frames" may appear to be just another way of doing Windows Phone's "Live Tiles", except that it's an actual minimized program, and you can close that app without having to go back in and hit a menu key etc. Much cleaner and faster. Does having an easy way to manage running apps appeal to you? I know it sounds like one of those mundane, "housekeeping" kinds of things, but it's very nice to have once you've used it for a bit.

And the new virtual keyboard is arguably a game-changer just on its own. It's honestly that good, and that different, that it will win new customers in its own right.
    Trini-34, robkd, bbfan1040 and 3 others like this.
    01-16-13 02:31 PM
    @flashflare11

totally agree. been on berries since 8703e and havnt looked back

Blackberry for life right here
    01-16-13 02:34 PM
    There have been several long troll threads the past few days, and I can see that it's just going to increase. People actually get paid to do this, spread BS to kill hype. Oh well.
    sf49ers, bbfan1040 and T-Raww like this.
    01-16-13 03:15 PM
    I am with FlashFlare on this, it does not remind me of an android phone at all. Widgets and Active Frames are two totally different concepts as well as functionationality. But, I am not going to jump to conclusion until I see the finish product of BB10. ***why the **** did RIM spin its wheels for years*** Dude THeins is new to RIM what the other CEO's were doing no one knows (but them) but our new fearless leader is turning things around and we cannot judge him or the company for mistakes in the pass. No need to ramble on... My $0.02!
    01-16-13 03:18 PM
    Not even close. BB10 is nothing like Android. Android app player is just a JVM on top of the QNX microkernel.
    BergerKing and harshalbid271 like this.
    01-16-13 03:20 PM
    I can assure you - I don't get paid by anyone to do this - I am a tech / gadget fan, just like most people that post in these forums....and I was intrigued by the new BB10, and made my statement on what I have seen thus far in images, and videos online. I am merely stating my opinion, and I really don't care if you like it or not. I do not frequent Crackberry, and haven't done so since probably 2009, I just wanted to get an idea from others what they think RIM will do to differentiate itself from the other major players out there, and if anyone else made a similar observation to mine about BB10 looking an awful lot like Android.
    Jonesy1966 and BergerKing like this.
    01-16-13 03:23 PM
    BB10 will be able to get security certs quickly, and make changes to the OS without affecting the security credentials. Android would need to be re certified for each release of OS. Plus of the Android OEMs, Samsung is the only one doing extremely well. HTC is heading towards losing money!
    01-16-13 03:27 PM
    had the 8700, Pearl, Curve, Storm1 before switching over to Android (Droid x, and now Galaxy Nexus).
    If I had the Storm as my main phone, I would have switched then too.

I am intrigued by the new BB10 os, but I don't see a lot of differences between BB10, and Android.
    How about trying it out first and making an informed decision?

lose billions of dollars, and the complete market share it had so that it could develop what looks like a heavily skinned version of Android.
    heavily skinned version of Android? You aren't going to get a lot of credibility with a statement like that ...

Why didn't they just use Android, and offer their own applications that are propriety to their phones
    Know a lot of vendors not named Samsung making a killing on Android?

I don't really see why people will give up their Android/Iphone's to switch back to BB.
    Here's something I'm seeing a lot lately: apathy. I know a number of iPhone users who've bailed after years with the iPhone ... wanted to try something new. There are always going to be those invested in a particular platform, but I think sometimes we assume "all people are the same" and all use phones the way us tech geeks do. I know plenty of people who use their iPhone in the same way people use flip phones. They haven't bought a single app, video or book. They don't want to use iCloud. They don't adore Apple products unendingly. So switching was no problem.

Also consider why people left BlackBerry. I know a number of miss the keyboard, miss BBM, miss the notifications, miss the external battery. But they a) wanted to try something new; b) hated the gitches of the old OS; and c) liked the apps available elsewhere. If RIM fills in those holes and has those BlackBerry positives, they'd be quite happy to come back for their next phone. And it does bring some new things like the new keyboard, the work-home balance stuff, the camera etc.
    Revampd, arrodiii, Kevstra and 7 others like this.
    01-16-13 03:29 PM
    I can assure you - I don't get paid by anyone to do this - I am a tech / gadget fan, just like most people that post in these forums....and I was intrigued by the new BB10, and made my statement on what I have seen thus far in images, and videos online. I am merely stating my opinion, and I really don't care if you like it or not. I do not frequent Crackberry, and haven't done so since probably 2009, I just wanted to get an idea from others what they think RIM will do to differentiate itself from the other major players out there, and if anyone else made a similar observation to mine about BB10 looking an awful lot like Android.
    I completely agree with you except for me it looked like iOS and when I asked, people jumped down my throats. I asked what differentiated BB10 from the competition and got some "you are a troll" remarks at the very beginning but other people kindly took the time to answer my question. For me, BB10 does look like iOS but the main things that have going for it are multitasking, peeking and security. I'm not convinced that people are going to go for a BB when all they see, whether this is true or not, an iPhone clone. The average person just doesn't care about the things that BB is doing. For me, BB10 looks really cool and I want to get a Z10 even if it is going to look like iOS just because I've never had a BB before and I would love to use it and experience it. Anyway, my 2 cents. I just hope people don't continue to jump down your throat just because you're an outsider wanting to know the differences instead of just drinking the Blackberry cool-aid.
    jafrul and nasellok like this.
    01-16-13 03:38 PM
    I do not usually do this, but alright.

You want to know the difference between Android and BlackBerry 10. Android is, in simple terms, your average geeky operating system that kids and geeks love to play around with. De facto, it is another great toy that is convenient to the masses. And that is due to the fact that the software is shipped with cheap(er) hardware. As far as the average Joe/Jane is concerned, I do not believe they even know their smartphone is running Android. The phone is well marketed, the price appealling, and the overall package seems to be a great alternative to the overpriced iPhone. Now, does this mean it's any good? Some people go with the flow, follow the trends and consume without knowing anything about the product they're purchasing. Whilst others, who can think for themselves, make the right choices. Now i am not saying that BlackBerry is the right phone for all these people out there, but it all comes down to a matter of taste. You want to go with the flow, purchase an average product that is buggy, not secured but excellent for leisure, entertainment and such? Be my guest. But the people that seek quality - the same people that have been handling the same company's phones for over a decade -, stability, security, and a platform that makes you get things done rather than played around with... know which phone to buy. At last, i will not enumerate all the BB's advantages, but I will simply state this: Consumers have to adapt Android to their needs, whilst BB 10 adapts itself to its user's needs. For example: the keyboard, which is years ahead of any other keyboard (yes, the virtual one). Watch videos, and then think for yourself. And see how beautifully this keyboard adapts to the user. You can even write in two or three different languages, it will still adapt itself to what you're doing. You don't even have to think. The Active Frames work the same way. You do not have to set them as you would on Android. They adapt themselves to your current needs. And I believe that's where the future of QNX lays. Adapting itself to the user, rather than the opposite.
    01-16-13 03:42 PM
    Isnt Android just a skinned version of IOS with native google applications then. Stop saying it looks like the iphone. BlackBerry had a grid of icons way before the Iphone was even released and Apple stole borrowed so many of BlackBerry's features. Who else does multitasking on the market. The keyboard is amazing and don't tell me thats not a feature because one of the most popular apps on android is swiftkey. You can say that WP is a huge differentiator but it's really not it's just a skinned app launcher or in the words of the OP a skinned version of android.
    01-16-13 03:44 PM
    Can the forums have a rule that people can't create threads until "x" number of posts?

lots of forums do this, no new threads until 10 posts, and those 10 posts have to be approved by Mods first
    01-16-13 03:49 PM
    Yea - that BB Storm just soured my opinion of RIM, and if it wasn't for my unlimited data Verizon, and the fact that back in 09 Verizon didn't carry the iphone, id probably be on the Apple teet right now - Thank God!!

I plan to try it out, but as we all know, its not available to try yet.

Don't get your credibility statement - I don't care about forum-cred....Based on the german video hands on with the Z10 circling the web, the ui looks like a custom version of android - I stand by my statement - look at the top status bar, the swipe up, the static icons, the widgets, the pull down notification bar, swipe left or right to see your apps, which are the same static icons seen on android...the almost exact porting of android apps to BB appstore, etc.
    01-16-13 03:50 PM
    Two weeks.
    Don't get your credibility statement -
    Calling it a "skinned android" suggests that RIM did nothing different than the Android manufacturers. Reality is - it's lots of work to make an OS. Appreciate that you haven't seen much that catches your eye. My suggestion is wait and try before passing judgement. And maybe use a different term. Anyone here that's ever worked on an OS is likely grimacing at your choice of title. ;-)
    Deanig_12 and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-16-13 04:19 PM
    Blackberry all the waaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-16-13 04:46 PM
    LMFAO.
    That's all I have to say
    spike12 likes this.
    01-16-13 05:03 PM
    Not even close, bb10 is way better works and is more secure. Trolling.trolling.trolling on a river! (sung to the tune of proud mary)
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-16-13 05:08 PM
    Yea - that BB Storm just soured my opinion of RIM, and if it wasn't for my unlimited data Verizon, and the fact that back in 09 Verizon didn't carry the iphone, id probably be on the Apple teet right now - Thank God!!

Don't get your credibility statement - I don't care about forum-cred....Based on the german video hands on with the Z10 circling the web, the ui looks like a custom version of android - I stand by my statement - look at the top status bar, the swipe up, the static icons, the widgets, the pull down notification bar, swipe left or right to see your apps, which are the same static icons seen on android...the almost exact porting of android apps to BB appstore, etc.
    Could you just be finding a way to relate it to android instead of seeing that its different? Anyone's UI can be an android skin if thats the case. The top status bar has been there since OS6, idk what your talking about with the swipe up, active Frames are not widgets you have to understand that no matter how you want to put it. What do you want them to do with icons? there is no pull down notification bar in bb10 that's settings. Porting of android apps does not mean all android apps work and its to recognize developers with the platform. The homescreen consist of three things, hub, open applications(active frames) and your applications. there has to be somewhere for you to find your applications.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    xiaohuaxing and trinipoco like this.
    01-16-13 05:13 PM
    Skinned Android? Not in the least. That's doing the new OS a disservice.

Now, I know you'll get a million folks here who swear that iOS and Android are useless, or dated, or stopgaps. I expect fans of any platform to do that. RIM clearly looked at the landscape and incorporated some ideas. Some things, to me, are uniquely implemented. I think you can see elements of each major platform appropriated to some degree in the competing ones.

But to call BB10 a skinned version of Android is not a fair representation. To be fair, i have not been a fan of the Android Player, but hey.
    01-16-13 05:15 PM
187 123 ...