Hey there, I've downloaded a bunch of those 99-cent movie deals on BBWorld. The other night I hooked up my phone to my TV and was really disappointed in the quality.

Yes, the image quality was poor, as was the audio quality. Lots of macro-blocking and digitized/heavily compressed sound. But I was even more disturbed by the fact that the video was stretched horizontally, making everyone look quite fat. This was more subtle than a 4x3 movie being stretched to fill a 16x9 screen, but it was still apparent to me. Now, I'm a filmmaker, so I notice these things more than others, but that doesn't make it alright. No TV settings would fix this.

Can anyone comment on BBWorld movie playback via micro hdmi and TV? It was so awful that I had to rent the movie from another source after 20 agonizing minutes. After switching, I quite enjoyed Monuments Men.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:49 AM
    Were you playing just by plugging in the HDMI, or did you also do the option of 'Play On...' and choosing HDMI? This will make a difference since the latter option will better scale for the size of the TV. To do the Play On, from the video folder, long press on the one you want to watch and choose the first option on the right hand menu that shows up.
    06-18-14 10:09 AM
    I have it working correctly with "play on". Everything works exactly as it should, but the image is slightly stretched. Annoying. Not a TV issue, either. Tested on separate HDTVs.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 02:48 PM
    I have it working correctly with "play on". Everything works exactly as it should, but the image is slightly stretched. Annoying. Not a TV issue, either. Tested on separate HDTVs.

Posted via CB10
    When I use "play on" the image stretches to fill the display. So what I do is it change the hdmi setting to 1280x720 and I don't always use the play on feature
    06-18-14 02:59 PM
    When I use "play on" the image stretches to fill the display. So what I do is it change the hdmi setting to 1280x720 and I don't always use the play on feature
    interesting, thanks for the info

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 05:53 PM
    On the top right of the screen, you can tap the square to cycle the different sizes

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 06:58 PM
    I'm having this issue as well. It's making me not purchase movies on my Q10 anymore.
    I resort to buying them on my Playbook,but that's iffy as well if the licensing goes through.
    06-18-14 08:59 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=849144

There have been a few threads regarding this, and I'm convinced that most people just don't notice the issue. I emailed and tweeted BlackBerry awhile back about this but never got a response after 3-4 inquiries so I gave up.

I haven't bought or rented anything from the video store since May 2013 because of this. The aspect being off makes it unwatchable IMO. Am disappointed to hear it's still an issue

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 07:43 AM
    I've only played video that I loaded to the phone. Works for me.

It is a little weird that you have to rotate the phone to make it letterbox. Acceptable I suppose. You can use the switch to kill the backlight.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:53 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=849144

There have been a few threads regarding this, and I'm convinced that most people just don't notice the issue. I emailed and tweeted BlackBerry awhile back about this but never got a response after 3-4 inquiries so I gave up.

I haven't bought or rented anything from the video store since May 2013 because of this. The aspect being off makes it unwatchable IMO. Am disappointed to hear it's still an issue

Posted via CB10
    I think you're right, most people just don't notice the issue. Which is a shame, because it does actually matter. It shows BlackBerry isn't paying attention to the details.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 09:22 PM