Hey Crackberry addicts,

I have a dilemma and was wondering if I could get some help. I am eligible for an upgrade here pretty soon and I was wondering which phone I should upgrade too. I currently have a torch 9810 and absolutely love it, but I'm tired of not having all of the apps that android and IOS have. So, when I decide to upgrade my phone should I get a new BB10 phone and hope the apps come with the new software or jump ship and get the S3 which everyone knows will have all of the apps/accessories that you could ever think of?
    04-26-12 11:39 AM
    Is this for real? Someone please smite the OP
    04-26-12 11:44 AM
    Get the s3.. The s2 blew me away and is leaps ahead of my iphone 4. The customization was key like on my bb 9900 but its way more advanced. The widgets are nice and the apps are plentiful. The s3 promises to be better.. I don't think anyone can touch samsung for screens, speed and their ability to move from conception to production in close to 6 months.

They are the ones to beat. BB10 looks to be promising, but they are way behind IOS and Android regarding apps, and that isn't going to change with the release of bb10. If the phone is a hit, it will attract developers.

If you want apps, jump to the s3. If you love what you BB gives you, bbm, besx, stellar communications etc might be worth waiting.. that is one place i felt that android on the s2 was lacking.. no simple way to access all your emails, sms, facebook messages and linked in in one place. It took some work to get it setup to the point i was content.. But went back to my 9900 after 2 weeks.

Currently on my iphone 4.. great device if you don't try and use it as a phone. (its horrible) (Testing Trellia Device management)
    Last edited by adrenaline_x; 04-26-12 at 12:05 PM.
    kenshaw likes this.
    04-26-12 11:56 AM
    Dude, just wait until Thursday May 3rd to see what BlackBerry DevCon presents and if they announce anything BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-26-12 11:58 AM
    Hey Crackberry addicts,

I have a dilemma and was wondering if I could get some help. I am eligible for an upgrade here pretty soon and I was wondering which phone I should upgrade too. I currently have a torch 9810 and absolutely love it, but I'm tired of not having all of the apps that android and IOS have. So, when I decide to upgrade my phone should I get a new BB10 phone and hope the apps come with the new software or jump ship and get the S3 which everyone knows will have all of the apps/accessories that you could ever think of?
    Well, I have an S1 and considering it is probally the worst purchase I have ever made, no I sure as heck won't get an S3.

In the year I've had a Playbook I've had a multitude of updates with bug fixes improvements, and the device is way better than it was when I got it. It is pretty much bug free now.

My S1 on the otherhand was sent out of the gate by Sammy extremely buggy and to fix major issues it took them 6 months to send out a basic update to stop the phone from crashing in your pocket every day. After an update, it crashes in my pocket once a week, GPS still broken, still freezes while I'm using it, and if I leave data on the battery still dies before I leave work.

Sorry, but Sammy makes phones with nice specs, but they're functionally garbage.
    04-26-12 12:04 PM
    Well, I have an S1 and considering it is probally the worst purchase I have ever made, no I sure as heck won't get an S3.

In the year I've had a Playbook I've had a multitude of updates with bug fixes improvements, and the device is way better than it was when I got it. It is pretty much bug free now.

My S1 on the otherhand was sent out of the gate by Sammy extremely buggy and to fix major issues it took them 6 months to send out a basic update to stop the phone from crashing in your pocket every day. After an update, it crashes in my pocket once a week, GPS still broken, still freezes while I'm using it, and if I leave data on the battery still dies before I leave work.

Sorry, but Sammy makes phones with nice specs, but they're functionally garbage.
    Seeing as your S1 is a fairly old phone now, and there have been 4 or 5 phones from samsung since then, you aren't much better then someone comparing and iphone 4s to a storm 2.. Just saying

I also love my playbook, but its still buggy as ... You can't deny that.. And the updates to provide basic functionality like email and calendar sync took upwards of 9 months... The updates were slow. Still no way to orgranize bookmarks.. BOOKMARKS a year after release.

My 9900 needs to be rebooted enough times to be annoying.. But i am running leaks oses.. And I accept these issues

the Galaxy s2 was the nicest phone i've ever used. And I use alot of them as i test and use all these phones before i roll them out. The HTC evo 3d was cool too, but too bulky.

If the S3 comes with a home button i will rethink their design, but as it stands i think i'm going to move to that for a while.
    Last edited by adrenaline_x; 04-26-12 at 12:13 PM.
    04-26-12 12:09 PM
    Wait for BB10. I think the UI and OS will set it apart from the competition

And wait for BlackBerry World before you succumb to the relentless S3 voices in your head
    BB10FTW likes this.
    04-26-12 12:13 PM
    so you want me to decide between an unreleased and unspecced device, and another unreleased and unspecced device for ya? seems a long shot to tell which to get until you have some facts to back up any suggestions.
    undone and BB10FTW like this.
    04-26-12 12:15 PM
    so you want me to decide between an unreleased and unspecced device, and another unreleased and unspecced device for ya? seems a long shot to tell which to get until you have some facts to back up any suggestions.
    I second that.
    04-26-12 12:21 PM

Lol. S1?
    Blast from the past.

You need to try the S2 mate. Honestly, best phone I've seen.
    04-26-12 12:26 PM
    Seeing as your S1 is a fairly old phone now, and there have been 4 or 5 phones from samsung since then, you aren't much better then someone comparing and iphone 4s to a storm 2.. Just saying

I also love my playbook, but its still buggy as ... You can't deny that.. And the updates to provide basic functionality like email and calendar sync took upwards of 9 months... The updates were slow. Still no way to orgranize bookmarks.. BOOKMARKS a year after release.

My 9900 needs to be rebooted enough times to be annoying.. But i am running leaks oses.. And I accept these issues

the Galaxy s2 was the nicest phone i've ever used. And I use alot of them as i test and use all these phones before i roll them out. The HTC evo 3d was cool too, but too bulky.

If the S3 comes with a home button i will rethink their design, but as it stands i think i'm going to move to that for a while.

My S1 isn't even 2 years old yet. If you want to ignore the fact Samssung puts out garbage, I don't care. I don't buy garbage. The phone came out as buggy pile of crap. It isn't age that made it that way. This is more like I'm compairing it to an iphone 4, S1 was out at the same time.

And playbook got UPDATES (note the S). There is actual support on Blackberry devices, when people complained about the crummy power button, within a month they had an update adding a battery icon on the homescreen. The playbook has been out for a year and there is no sign the updates are stopping anytime soon.

My S got a single update. I had to install a custom ROM on it to get some stability because samsung gives absolutely no support. I'd say a phone that spontaneously freezes in your pocket is a phone without basic functionality (that is the peace of mind that you aren't missing phonecalls)

And if you call the Playbook buggy, you obviously have no idea what kind of software Samsung makes. Playbook with the occasional browser crash and freeze is a godsend from Samsung software.
    lnichols and BB10FTW like this.
    04-26-12 12:26 PM
    My S1 isn't even 2 years old yet. If you want to ignore the fact Samssung puts out garbage, I don't care. I don't buy garbage. The phone came out as buggy pile of crap. It isn't age that made it that way. This is more like I'm compairing it to an iphone 4, S1 was out at the same time.

And playbook got UPDATES (note the S). There is actual support on Blackberry devices, when people complained about the crummy power button, within a month they had an update adding a battery icon on the homescreen. The playbook has been out for a year and there is no sign the updates are stopping anytime soon.

My S got a single update. I had to install a custom ROM on it to get some stability because samsung gives absolutely no support. I'd say a phone that spontaneously freezes in your pocket is a phone without basic functionality (that is the peace of mind that you aren't missing phonecalls)

And if you call the Playbook buggy, you obviously have no idea what kind of software Samsung makes. Playbook with the occasional browser crash and freeze is a godsend from Samsung software.
    The Samsung galaxy 2 was out before the iphone 4s. The s1 around iphone but the galaxy nexus was/is a stellar phone that was out then too.

Your ty experience with the s1 shouldn't translate into the s3, 2 generations newer, being the same ty experience.. If i had followed your rationale i would of never gone back to a bb after i first got my iphone 3, 3gs and 4. The 4 killed it with it inability to make phone calls so i tried the 9700. It was horrible compared to the iphone 4 but could make phone calls and worked great with my playbook.

Are you talking about os updates? Or Firmware updates on your phone.. As you know samsung is not responsible for creating the os updates.. Releasing them, yes, not creating them

I haven't used the s1, but the s2 blew away ever yphone i've ever used.. If the continue to build on that experience on the s3 then its a no brainier coupled with the android market place..

The playbook got alot of updates, but Rim only has ONE os meant for One device, the playbook. If samsung programmed android, then you might have an argument but they don't. They use an open OS.. It would be interesting to see BB10 on a s3 or s2. I bet that would make for a really slick phone, still lacking apps mind you.
    04-26-12 12:41 PM
    I suggest you wait to find out more about BB10. I'm on the BlackBerry train, but if I had to go with something else, I'd go with the S3 (over other non-BB phones). The S2 looks really nice, and I've played with it for a bit. I didn't experience any of the negatives, although I'm sure they exist. Many of my coworkers switched to Android devices, and every one of them has email issues or battery life problems. So it's really just a trade-off, and if the trade is good for your usage patterns.

If you are happy with the 9810, except for lack of some apps, which apps specifically are you looking to get by going Android? I'm just curious.
    04-26-12 12:47 PM
    Get a donkey, their hard working, come with 4 strong powerhouse legs and they have a decent user interface.........BB10 would be my next choice but that's only because i know so much about donkeys.......yes i research before a purchase...............DONKEY!!!!!!

I hope I helped with your decision.
    04-26-12 12:55 PM
    The Samsung galaxy 2 was out before the iphone 4s. The s1 around iphone but the galaxy nexus was/is a stellar phone that was out then too.

Your ty experience with the s1 shouldn't translate into the s3, 2 generations newer, being the same ty experience.. If i had followed your rationale i would of never gone back to a bb after i first got my iphone 3, 3gs and 4. The 4 killed it with it inability to make phone calls so i tried the 9700. It was horrible compared to the iphone 4 but could make phone calls and worked great with my playbook.

Are you talking about os updates? Or Firmware updates on your phone.. As you know samsung is not responsible for creating the os updates.. Releasing them, yes, not creating them

I haven't used the s1, but the s2 blew away ever yphone i've ever used.. If the continue to build on that experience on the s3 then its a no brainier coupled with the android market place..

The playbook got alot of updates, but Rim only has ONE os meant for One device, the playbook. If samsung programmed android, then you might have an argument but they don't. They use an open OS.. It would be interesting to see BB10 on a s3 or s2. I bet that would make for a really slick phone, still lacking apps mind you.

Let's suppose this is an alternate universe and I was interested in a phone by samsung here are the steps I would take before buying it:

1. It is released. I wait a month. Do not for even a moment think about buying at launch.

2. Look at forums. Find out the problems the phone has.

3. Look at the problems and note none of them will ever be fixed. Think to myself: can I live with these issues for a few years?

4. If yes, suck it up and buy it. If no, don't. That's because Samsung makes their phone, releases it, and then forgets about it. They don't make basic fixes for their phones. If you are okay with that, feel free to buy their products. I wouldn't buy a phone without basic support. I couldn't care less about ICS (which S1 isn't getting), but Samung doesnt make basic bug fixes.

I have used an S2. I'd say it was pretty similar to the S1, with a few improvements, but I didn't say Samsung phones aren't nice for the first few minutes, they have great specs. It is in the long run the true nature of them rear their ugly head.

I'd compaire it to dating a beautiful woman whoes personality is completely incompatible to yours. The first few dates are great, you really enjoy your time because you are mostly just looking at her, but, when you actually have to start talking and relating to this person, you learn to hate them.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    04-26-12 01:05 PM
    ...That's because Samsung makes their phone, releases it, and then forgets about it. They don't make basic fixes for their phones.
    I heard this exact complaint from a good friend of mine. He himself has an iPhone, but between his wife and two kids there are at least two Sammies and one other Android something or other. But he said the same thing - they crank out new models so fast that anything you purchase today basically rolls off the support log in three months.
    04-26-12 01:16 PM
    I heard this exact complaint from a good friend of mine. He himself has an iPhone, but between his wife and two kids there are at least two Sammies and one other Android something or other. But he said the same thing - they crank out new models so fast that anything you purchase today basically rolls off the support log in three months.
    The only Samsung Android devices that get fast updates and fixes are the Nexus devices, and that's because of Google.
    04-26-12 01:20 PM
    Since you seem to be only on a 1 year contract and I assume you'll sign up for the same after your next upgrade - I vote go with the S3. Take a break from BB and come back in a year once they've had time to fill everything out.
    04-26-12 01:31 PM
    Do people honestly need to have others make up their mind for them or to think for them?

Sorry, but I just had to say that. OP, just try out both devices in a carrier store for more than an hour if you can, over a period of a month or few weeks, then make up your mind once you are totally satisfied. Then, you'll know which one you want.
    BBThemes likes this.
    04-26-12 05:24 PM
    Use what works best for you, not what may work best for someone else.
    04-26-12 05:29 PM
    3. Look at the problems and note none of them will ever be fixed. Think to myself: can I live with these issues for a few years?

4. If yes, suck it up and buy it. If no, don't. That's because Samsung makes their phone, releases it, and then forgets about it. They don't make basic fixes for their phones. If you are okay with that, feel free to buy their products. I wouldn't buy a phone without basic support. I couldn't care less about ICS (which S1 isn't getting), but Samung doesnt make basic bug fixes.
    Word up on that! This is the problem with ANY android device, save the Galaxy Nexus...manufacturers develop a device, slap Android on it, launch it, and forget about it. YES, some phones get some updates and patches, but nothing earth shattering. They can't. The way things are going with manufacturers and Android, companies can't devote much manpower and time on "old" technology (old being one month post-release). I see it every day.
    04-26-12 07:13 PM
    The only Samsung Android devices that get fast updates and fixes are the Nexus devices, and that's because of Google.
    Actually the international versions are some of the quickest to get updated and most have already been updated to ICS. Carriers in the US slow everything down.
    04-26-12 07:32 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...n-darn-719849/

Really tough call. I'd wait for the BBOS 10 demonstration in May. My understanding launch date of S3 is also later this year but prior to BBOS 10 launch.

Samsung is known for almost zero support once phone is launched but if you plan to root it to update OS then this is a moot point
    04-26-12 09:20 PM
    BB10 at will only have a fraction of the apps that the S3 has at launch. If BBM isn't holding you back, then go with the S3 and wait till BB10 is more developed and switch back.
    04-26-12 10:06 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...n-darn-719849/

Really tough call. I'd wait for the BBOS 10 demonstration in May. My understanding launch date of S3 is also later this year but prior to BBOS 10 launch.

Samsung is known for almost zero support once phone is launched but if you plan to root it to update OS then this is a moot point

From what i have read from TechRadar, Samsung is revealing their SIII May 3rd. Details here: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...c=rss&attr=all

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-26-12 10:50 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD