Android has an app that allows you to block caller id if they are not in your contact list. This would be invaluable for the service industry where you dont want your customers to see your phone number.

is there anything like this in the Blackberry universe?
    01-15-14 10:49 AM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    Please update your profile to include device, carrier, and location. Makes it easier for others to help you.

You're looking for a Call Blocker type app. Some have a whitelist, like allowing all Contacts to call, and/or a blacklist where you can specify which numbers to block.

There's none available yet, but hopefully there will be soon. Until now, BB10 apps were not able to run in the background, so a reliable call blocking app wouldn't have been possible. They are just now rolling out some third party headless apps, but I don't think they've unlocked the ability to block calls yet, iirc.
    01-15-14 02:25 PM
    There are many functionalities that were available in legacy that are not in BB10. This one is huge, and seemingly dear to many, myself included.

I'm hopeful that over time the legacy functionalities will return. I'd be happy to see this one.

BlackBerry World has call blocker apps but they are active frames and you can only block all incoming calls as opposed to having black and white lists.

Posted via my BlackBerry Zeadache 10.2.0.429
    01-15-14 07:10 PM
    If you just want to block callers from outside your Contacts, try Parental Controls.
    01-15-14 08:59 PM
    Would love to see this as a native feature also. Call block and native email filter!

As a work around, the HUB ++ app will let you identify and filter calls/emails. You can then choose what action for the app to take after that. Current version is now headless too. However, the process of blocking calls/emails isn't as intuitive or as convenient as could be.
    01-15-14 09:12 PM
    I don't think a call blocker app is a call blocker without specific contact blocking capability. As a feature would be nice, but we all understand that the developer base must be supported to continue the flow of new apps so I'd be ecstatic to get an app that doss why legacy apps did. I'd pay 10 bucks for it in a new York minute.

Posted via my BlackBerry Zeadache 10.2.0.429
    01-16-14 08:53 AM
    I believe the OP was asking about caller ID blocking.

This is a feature supported by your service provider, normally by dialing a feature code before making the call. Let's look at what an application has to be able to do to provide this service.
    1. Prior to letting a call go through the application has to be started (or already running headless), and passed the phone number.
    2. The application has to have access to your contac list to determine if the number is there.
    3. The application has to be able to dial a number before, and potentially instead of, the number entered by the user.

There is enormous potential for abuse given this kind of access. BlackBerry has been historically very conservative in releasing this kind of access to third party developers until they are sure the level of control and monitoring is adequate to prevent abuse. This is one of the reasons I prefer BlackBerry to other vendors.
    01-16-14 09:46 AM
    Do not be mislead. You have every right to protect your privacy and there IS a way to do this.

Visit BlockMyCellPhoneNumber.com | Disguise Your CallerID. Hide Your Phone Number. | BlockMyCellPhoneNumber.com

Many providers offer services and software that allow others to see your blocked number. The interesting thing is that multiple providers offer the same services and your "blocking request" can be trumped out by another provider's advanced software. And they do this without your knowing!

The problem with 'private' and 'restricted' designation is that your calls/texts can be rejected and you are [I]forced[I] to reveal your phone number. This is not right. To truly block your number do the following. Route your call through a third party which is reputable and guaranteed. This way your calls/texts are never blocked, however, your Caller ID is disguised.

Block Your Cell Phone number. Disguise Your Caller ID. Proven. Reliable. Works with All Phones. And Now Works Internationally !

Learn more by visiting BlockMyCellPhoneNumber.com | Disguise Your CallerID. Hide Your Phone Number. | BlockMyCellPhoneNumber.com

.... because privacy is your right.
    04-19-14 06:53 AM