Has anyone connected a z10 with the use usb on to a z30? Just copy the files from the z30 sd card to the z10 sd card?

Official 10.2.1.2977 ( no leaks )
    07-14-14 08:15 PM
    Not sure if this was covered in your list but sharing files over WiFi is dead simple with samba shares. If your phone and computer are on the same wifi just go into your computer and into the address bar and type \\x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is your phones IP address; typically something like \\192.168.1.2 and voila your device and SD card stored files will appear. Awesome. (I recommend turning on password protect in settings.)
    07-15-14 12:20 PM
    Agree that File Handling, along with the extra storage capacity the SD Card capabilities along are a big plus for BB10.

There are plenty of features of BB10 that are great sales points and they BlackBerry never really "got across" when they were doing some advertising last year. But then again it's a feature only power users are going to care about.... For a large percentage of people the idea that if they need to open a book they go to iBook, if they want to listen to a song they go to iTunes, watch a movie go to iMove. Can they change names and move files around... I don't really know - but in 10 months of my wife having an iPad she has never asked me about it.
    07-15-14 01:55 PM
    I haven't seen a better implementation of the file picker in other platforms.
    I find it really great to be able, for example, to attach a file to an e-mail from dropbox via the file picker. Also, the zip support is a big plus.

My wishlist for the file manager/file picker
    - speed improvement
    - ability to view other samba shares with support of media streaming
    - ability to browse dlna content
    - select all

Posted via CB10
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    07-15-14 03:05 PM
    BlackBerry has the best in-built file management between Android, iOS, and Windows.

The only thing that I want to be added is the ability to change the file extension and to read rar files.

Edit:
    It is actually possible to change a file extension. In File Manager long press the file and choose Properties rather than Rename. At the bottom of the Properties screen is an option to rename the file which will include the extension. That File Manager is big league.
    Posted via CB10
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by GSM-S; 07-16-14 at 03:33 AM.
    07-15-14 03:11 PM
    Not sure if this was covered in your list but sharing files over WiFi is dead simple with samba shares. If your phone and computer are on the same wifi just go into your computer and into the address bar and type \\x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is your phones IP address; typically something like \\192.168.1.2 and voila your device and SD card stored files will appear. Awesome. (I recommend turning on password protect in settings.)
    I didn't mention that particular method of wifi connection and it's definitely a good one. Typing in the name of your phone is easier if it works but using the IP address is more certain, it seems. It's so simple that I think a lot of people overlook it but it's really useful and, yes, awesome.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-14 09:12 PM
    The only thing that I want to be added is the ability to change the file extension and to read rar files.

Posted via CB10
    It is actually possible to change a file extension. In File Manager long press the file and choose Properties rather than Rename. At the bottom of the Properties screen is an option to rename the file which will include the extension. That File Manager is big league.

Posted via CB10
    Mr_F and GSM-S like this.
    07-15-14 09:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    I shall now clear some space on my Z10 by uninstalling the now unnecessary alternative android file manger. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-14 03:31 AM
    Tried using nfc from z30 to z30,wow amazing! The wifi direct kicks in and it is lightning fast! However, for some reason with the music player open it wanted to transfer files from the destination z30 too. Some files stopped the process of transferring multiple files as well.

Official 10.2.1.2977 ( no leaks )
    08-02-14 05:49 AM
    I was transferring some files from my Z30 to a Q5 recently through NFC. I wanted to transfer the folder with its files but IIRC it didn't work. I had to transfer the files over then recreate the folder on the Q5. I'd like to see the ability to transfer entire folders added to the OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 12:02 PM
    Just wanted to add to this thread. If your like me you'll appreciate the addition of icons to folders for quicker and easier identification.

So when setting up your cloud storage account within the BB10 file manager. Use these names for your folders and the icons will automatically appear.

BB10 is a File Handling Powerhouse-img_20140802_130649.png

Interested to see if I missed any. But don't think so.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    gebco and Denny_Crane like this.
    08-02-14 12:07 PM
    Coming from other Os that have better file manager, bb10 file manager is lacking. File manager is one of the reason why I choose BlackBerry yet found the file manager not as I expected

-No root access so make all my files and folders quite cluttered
    If I open video or audio or picture files, only basic viewer is opened. Example if can't edit picture with file manager. You need to open picture app to be able to edit picture.
    -Cannot edit attributes

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    08-02-14 12:44 PM
    I don't think iOS or Windows Phone come with a default file manager. You might want to try this link to find the device your looking for.

Android Central Forums

Posted with X10 via CB10
    08-02-14 12:54 PM
    Coming from other Os that have better file manager, bb10 file manager is lacking. File manager is one of the reason why I choose BlackBerry yet found the file manager not as I expected

-No root access so make all my files and folders quite cluttered
    If I open video or audio or picture files, only basic viewer is opened. Example if can't edit picture with file manager. You need to open picture app to be able to edit picture.
    -Cannot edit attributes

What other OS are you coming from?

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 01:02 PM
    Nokia 808 running Symbian . Still my primary phone as bb10 can't fully replace it yet except for browser, email and social stuff.

08-02-14 01:11 PM
    If you long press a file you can choose 'Open In' which allows you to use a different app to load. You can also choose to make that app the default launcher for that file type.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 04:04 PM
    If you long press a file you can choose 'Open In' which allows you to use a different app to load. You can also choose to make that app the default launcher for that file type.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't see the option. Here the screenshot.

BB10 is a File Handling Powerhouse-img_20140803_162633.png

08-03-14 03:27 AM
    Only certain apps seem to be set up to allow access in this way. I don't have any BMP files but long-pressing a JPG gives me this,

BB10 is a File Handling Powerhouse-img_20140803_043220.png

This leads to the option of choosing PicShop among others. I'm not sure if your own music player works this way but Neutron comes up as an option for music files and video files are given several.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 03:42 AM
    Only certain apps seem to be set up to allow access in this way. I don't have any BMP files but long-pressing a JPG gives me this,

This leads to the option of choosing PicShop among others. I'm not sure if your own music player works this way but Neutron comes up as an option for music files and video files are given several.

Posted via CB10
    Nope. Nothing. Try with png, jpg, bmp though the for svg the option do available which is "open in: browser".

Thanks for pointing me out about music. Even 7digital show up as option. I wonder how android app can get such exclusiveness. More improvement need to be done.

08-03-14 06:57 AM
    File manager is OK but preview problems, and indexing of file corruption with camera on occasion which is not an SD card issue.

Using cloud storage totally blows if you have anything but a few files, takes forever to see photos and Dropbox forget about seeing photos are all if you have a lot. That is why an app is necessary, to store thumbnails to speed up the process.

File management still needs more work to be bullet proof and then it will truly rule all platforms.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-14 09:18 AM
45 12