08-03-14 09:18 AM
45 12
tools
    There have been many lists of the great features of this OS but I think its file handling abilities are way underrated. I maybe a little old-school but it's absolutely essential for me to be able to download, rename, copy, move and organise files into their proper folders. Here is an amazingly comprehensive list of built-in tools that let you do this like any good computer ought to,

(in post #14 Heinz Katchup did a nice job of enhancing my original list so I'm going with that one now - thanks HK)

01) WiFi Sharing - Typing the name of your phone into a My Computer panel on the laptop/desktop. Gets you straight into the files on your phone (optional password). You can also use your IP address (preceded by //) to access your phone rather than your phone's name.

02) Network Drive - Mapping the phone as a network drive lets you work right off the phone. Update: This feature is currently not working for a lot of users who have reformatted/formatted their card to exFAT.

03) Card Swapping - Popping out the SD card and putting it in the laptop card reader lets you copy large amounts of data without tying up the phone.

04) USB Direct Connect - Plugging in with USB cable lets you connect to another computer without using WiFi.

05) USB Mass Storage Mode - Lets you do the same without loading any drivers onto the other computer.

06) Remote File Access - Allows access of files on your computer from anywhere on the Internet. Using BlackBerry Link.

07) Cloud Storage - Built-in access to DropBox, Box and OneDrive right in the File Manager.

08) Attachments - Easy selection of multiple attachments when sending messages.

09) Direct Download - Easy downloading of files on the browser into the folder and file name of your choice.

10) NFC Transfer - NFC transfer of files between phones (not iPhone).

11) BlackBerry Bridge - Copy files to PlayBook when Bridged (I use File Browser on the PlayBook).

12) Print to Go App - Allows you to 'print' directly to your phone. I use this in AutoCAD so that I can create PDF's that I carry around at all times.

13) Easy Sharing - Share feature in almost all apps. Allows very easy sharing of files through a vast number of channels.

14) Viewing - Quick viewing of all attachments in the Hub with obvious ability to share.

15) Media Format Support - Ability to watch, read and listen to many different media file formats.

16) File Compression - Ability to ZIP and UnZIP files in the File Manager.

17) DLNA Sharing - Share media from BB10 device to DLNA supports devices (TV, Media Center etc.). (Thanks PatrickMJS)

All this on top of the 'normal ' abilities of the File Manager to copy, move, rename and Zip files plus the adding, deleting and renaming of folders. Many of these are not particularly glamorous but they all allow me to do an awful lot of work on what is, ostensibly, a phone but is in fact much more like a computer than I would have believed possible. I think it's an impressive list and I'm so glad to have this available to me. Thanks to all the hard-working folks at BlackBerry.
    Last edited by Bungalow_Bill; 07-15-14 at 09:35 PM.
    pragnesh89, GSM-S, Nels and 15 others like this.
    06-06-14 02:30 PM
    7) Built-in access to Dropbox and Box right in the File Manager
    One Drive, too. For those that use it.

Posted via CB10
    HotFix and vinniesworld like this.
    06-06-14 02:34 PM
    Couldn't agree more.

Dominate the MCAT C0012A8A6
    06-06-14 02:42 PM
    Fully agree. For me file handling on BlackBerry 10 is what I need. By comparison for this I hate my ipad.

Posted via CB10
    Denny_Crane likes this.
    06-06-14 03:34 PM
    So, do you like it or not?...lol

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    06-06-14 03:39 PM
    Don't forget USB on the go (if you have a Z30 and maybe others).

I love being able to transfer files directly to/from my device via a USB memory stick and cable.

Posted via CB10 via Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    06-06-14 03:40 PM
    The file manager is amazing and easy to use.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    06-06-14 05:00 PM
    Fully agree. For me file handling on BlackBerry 10 is what I need. By comparison for this I hate my ipad.

Posted via CB10
    I had an iPhone for years and that's why I appreciate these features so much. At the time, iOS was absolutely impoverished by comparison. Maybe it's better now - I don't know.

I'm working with a Z10 so I don't have the added luxury of USB on-the-go. That's another good one. (thanks Hotfix)
    06-06-14 05:11 PM
    Powerful summary of powerful features.

I often watch people hammering away at their iDroid and think: Yeah (swipe) but what (flick, swipe, flick) have you actually done with all that (flick, swipe) effort?

Cheers

Z10 and proud! Z10: conceived, designed and built under the leadership of Thorsten Heins. Respect!
    06-06-14 05:11 PM
    and ... I have Link logged in at home and work and can access files on both of those computers.

showed a relative a picture while at a family event ... then said by the way, that file is at home 5 hrs away from here ... they said really, I said standard part of the new BB phones , have done same to play a song for someone
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    06-06-14 05:33 PM
    Couldn't agree more OP! My iPad has nothing on my BlackBerry 10 devices in this area (and many others). Great post!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    06-06-14 09:02 PM
    I would add the ability to display photos & videos and to play music files that are located on the phone over wifi to a DLNA-enabled tv or media centre or bluray disk player... and while the phone is doing that, you can still use it to check messages, browse the Web or run whatever app you want.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    06-07-14 10:55 AM
    We just need 'select all'. ;P

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    PatrickMJS and eldricho like this.
    06-07-14 10:57 AM
    Great list OP! Did some minor editing to it so I could get a better view of all BB10 is capable of. I don't know if I'm more impressed by what it can do. Or the fact that I'm capable of using all these features. My BlackBerry experience has really upped my geek level.

01) WiFi Sharing - Typing the name of your phone into a My Computer panel on the laptop/desktop. Gets you straight into the files on your phone (optional password).

02) Network Drive - Mapping the phone as a network drive lets you work right off the phone. Update: This feature is currently not working for a lot of users who have reformatted/formatted their card to exFAT.

03) Card Swapping - Popping out the SD card and putting it in the laptop card reader lets you copy large amounts of data without tying up the phone.

04) USB Direct Connect - Plugging in with USB cable lets you connect to another computer without using WiFi.

05) USB Mass Storage Mode - Lets you do the same without loading any drivers onto the other computer.

06) Remote File Access - Allows access of files on your computer from anywhere on the Internet. Using BlackBerry Link.

07) Cloud Storage - Built-in access to DropBox, Box and OneDrive right in the File Manager.

08) Attachments - Easy selection of multiple attachments when sending messages.

09) Direct Download - Easy downloading of files on the browser into the folder and file name of your choice.

10) NFC Transfer - NFC transfer of files between phones (not iPhone).

11) BlackBerry Bridge - Copy files to PlayBook when Bridged (I use File Browser on the PlayBook).

12) Print to Go App - Allows you to 'print' directly to your phone. I use this in AutoCAD so that I can create PDF's that I carry around at all times.

13) Easy Sharing - Share feature in almost all apps. Allows very easy sharing of files through a vast number of channels.

14) Viewing - Quick viewing of all attachments in the Hub with obvious ability to share.

15) Media Format Support - Ability to watch, read and listen to many different media file formats.

16) File Compression - Ability to ZIP and UnZIP files in the File Manager.

17) DLNA Sharing - Share media from BB10 device to DLNA supports devices (TV, Media Center etc.).

Posted via CB10
    Bungalow_Bill and m1kr0 like this.
    06-08-14 02:04 PM
    And that's exactly the reason why I changed from an iPhone (used it for several years) to a Z10. File handling & sharing is superb on BB10 & gives me a real computer feeling.
    I'm just missing one thing: would be totally amazing if they could add network share access to the file manager so I can access my NAS files( unfortunately I can't leave a pc on for remote file access). As for my understanding at this moment there is no native application supporting this. The only way is to use Ghost Commander or ES File Explorer which are android apps. But that doesn't give me a native feeling. I know Nicolas from Playcloud is having a look on it, but it doesn't seem to be easy. So let's hope & pray it pop-ups somewhere soon. Would be a killer feature.

Posted via CB10
    Sergiu1337 likes this.
    06-08-14 04:36 PM
    I also find file management very friendly and efficient on my Z10.

Post via BlackBerry ZedAche 10.2.1.2102 (2141)
    06-08-14 06:05 PM
    Awesome features, Thanx for the list.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 06:58 PM
    Heinz Katchup did such a nice job of editing my list that I decided to use that one in the original post instead of my own with the thought that if people are searching through threads and come upon this one that they'll be able to find the salient information right away. I like the idea of people taking responsibility for their threads and doing some maintenance to keep them as useful as possible. The fora on this website are the best source of BlackBerry information anywhere and I think it would be great if we could keep the good stuff very accessible.
    06-09-14 12:08 PM
    Transferring large files between bb10 devices, is slow over bluetooth. Is there an easy way to do this over wifi? I set the z10 to share over wifi and tried to use file commander on my z30, but have trouble finding the files on sd card of the device. (sd directory points to local memory not sd). Fill commander connects fine from the z30 to z10.

Official 10.2.1.2977 ( no leaks )
    07-13-14 07:19 AM
    The best thing is when I can download stuff whilst surfing on my BlackBerry ? browser straight to my desktop without any fuss.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 09:41 AM
    Transferring large files between bb10 devices, is slow over bluetooth. Is there an easy way to do this over wifi? I set the z10 to share over wifi and tried to use file commander on my z30, but have trouble finding the files on sd card of the device. (sd directory points to local memory not sd). Fill commander connects fine from the z30 to z10.

I haven't tried it but I would think that the fastest way to transfer a large file between two phones would be to put the SD card in the other phone and transfer to Device.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 05:04 PM
    What if the files are on the sd card already on your phone?

07-13-14 07:34 PM
    Try using Wifi Direct, great speeds, might be exactly what u r looking for.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 07:41 PM

Try using Wifi Direct, great speeds, might be exactly what u r looking for.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 doesn't support WiFi Direct.
    07-13-14 08:41 PM
    What if the files are on the sd card already on your phone?

I'm not sure that I understand your question. I was assuming the files were on the SD card in one device and you wanted them copied to another. If that's the case then you could take that SD card out and temporarily put it in the second phone and copy the files over using the File Manager which would transfer them from Media Card to Device. If you wanted those files on the SD card of the second device then you'd have to put it back in and move the files over. It's double-handling, I know, but it might still be faster than bluetooth or wifi.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 10:24 PM
45 12