I think you missed the word sarcasm I wrote under my comment.
    Anyway my comment btw was linked to the immens admiration almost religious some people have here for Chen vs the BB10 enthusiastic and the funny thing that you may have or had another view about the BB and here you get immediately summoned if BB10 user/lover.
    I hope my comment is not here blasphemous for some of you.
    I have absolutely no emotion whatsoever (positive or negative) towards John Chen. I do not care about corporate CEO's anyway. But as an economist I became interested in the story of BB as an example of corporate mismanagement / bad strategy around the time BB exited mobile phones, and that was what brought me here.
    Since then, I concluded, similar to other posters here (with much longer tenure than me), that the BB10 OS lacked business viability even when it was released. This is completely independent from the person of the CEO of BB Limited, for me it could be anyone, dont care about him/her anyway.
    On the other hand, there are posters here, who, even now, display an almost religious devotion towards BB10 OS and consider it almost a cause rather than a simple tech product. These people (maybe because their identity is, to an extent, intertwined with the mobile OS they use, BB10) sometimes display online behavior similar to Q Anon adherents (e.g. impervious to reasoning, deny/dismiss/explain away any fact or event or material proof contrary to their preferred narrative, etc. etc. etc..)
    Therefore my admittedly sarcastic remark.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-16-21 09:16 AM
    I have absolutely no emotion whatsoever (positive or negative) towards John Chen. I do not care about corporate CEO's anyway. But as an economist I became interested in the story of BB as an example of corporate mismanagement / bad strategy around the time BB exited mobile phones, and that was what brought me here.
    Since then, I concluded, similar to other posters here (with much longer tenure than me), that the BB10 OS lacked business viability even when it was released. This is completely independent from the person of the CEO of BB Limited, for me it could be anyone, dont care about him/her anyway.
    On the other hand, there are posters here, who, even now, display an almost religious devotion towards BB10 OS and consider it almost a cause rather than a simple tech product. These people (maybe because their identity is, to an extent, intertwined with the mobile OS they use, BB10) sometimes display online behavior similar to Q Anon adherents (e.g. impervious to reasoning, deny/dismiss/explain away any fact or event or material proof contrary to their preferred narrative, etc. etc. etc..)
    The story of BB is indeed interesting. The book "Losing the signal" should be read by each BB enthusiastic or ex enthusiastic. I am pretty sure you know it.

Since you are an economist, how do you evaluate Chen with his slogan "we must start to execute"....after how many years? 7 or 8? I find ilarious and sad.
    Yes, BB10 without Bis incomings was going somehow to be signing a negative path in terms of incomes for BB. This is well known. It does not mean anyway that other solution could have been found or followed. The management was bad, not the product per se.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    03-16-21 09:42 AM
    Yes, BB10 without Bis incomings was going somehow to be signing a negative path in terms of incomes for BB. This is well known. It does not mean anyway that other solution could have been found or followed. The management was bad, not the product per se.
    The battle was over in 2009 though when the developers and consumers amassed around the two winning ecosystems/platforms.

Microsoft and their 10s of $billions proved it.

Chen was specifically hired by the BoD to pivot away from devices. The demise of BB10 had as much to do with Chen as me or you.
    03-16-21 09:49 AM
    I start to believe that maybe it's easier to convince hardcore QAnon'ers that what they believe in is BS , than some of the BB10 "enthuasiasts" about the (lack of) business viability of their beloved OS.
    /sarcasm
    We weren't even arguing about viability at the end but whether Chen knew his smartphones were going to fail or if he was even trying to succeed.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-21 10:47 AM
    Well, this is an enthusiast website and you are on the forum for BB10 fanatics. Do you go to a Boston Red Sox fan forum and criticize them for the strong bias in favor of the Red Sox? Who is irrational?

Talking about whether a product could have succeeded as a niche product is a subjective topic. I perceive the religious fanaticism to be, if anything, on the other side of the equation.

Posted via CB10
    Paulelmar18, elfabio80 and bh7171 like this.
    03-16-21 10:51 AM
    Well, this is an enthusiast website and you are on the forum for BB10 fanatics. Do you go to a Boston Red Sox fan forum and criticize them for the strong bias in favor of the Red Sox? Who is irrational?

Talking about whether a product could have succeeded as a niche product is a subjective topic. I perceive the religious fanaticism to be, if anything, on the other side of the equation.

Posted via CB10
    How does enthusiasm relate to trying to rewrite history?

We're all fans of BB10. Some have minimal-enough functional and security needs that allow them to continue to enjoy it today, and there is nothing wrong with that.

That's a testament to how well BB10 fit the needs of a select few.
    Last edited by conite; 03-16-21 at 02:07 PM.
    pdr733 likes this.
    03-16-21 10:54 AM
    The demise of BB10 had as much to do with Chen as me or you.
    This is actually a true statement. The "fans" destroyed BB, and Chen simply finished the job.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-16-21 01:47 PM
    This is actually a true statement. The "fans" destroyed BB, and Chen simply finished the job.
    Chen did as he was instructed.

90% of the 60 million+ BlackBerry BBOS fans didn't give a flying fox fart for BB10. Nor did anyone else - developers included.
    ppeters914 and pdr733 like this.
    03-16-21 01:59 PM
    I don't know.... maybe it's BlackBerry wasn't able to deliver what "fans" saw iOS and Android offering.

Bottom line a tiny company is always going to have a hard time competing against a bigger company.... unless they can offer a stand out product. And as much potential as BB10 showed, it just didn't do what most "fans" wanted in 2013.

That people are still using devices by jumping through crazy steps like using another devices hotspot.... is cool in a way. But also a little sad.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    03-16-21 02:25 PM
    I don't know.... maybe it's BlackBerry wasn't able to deliver what "fans" saw iOS and Android offering.

Bottom line a tiny company is always going to have a hard time competing against a bigger company.... unless they can offer a stand out product. And as much potential as BB10 showed, it just didn't do what most "fans" wanted in 2013.

That people are still using devices by jumping through crazy steps like using another devices hotspot.... is cool in a way. But also a little sad.
    I use the best tool for the job. The apps I use daily can all run on BB10. BBTube is the best Youtube experience I've ever had, and it's exclusive to BB10.

If using BB10 is so sad, why are we talking on a BB10 enthusiast message board dedicated to assisting BB10 users?

Posted via CB10
    Paulelmar18 and elfabio80 like this.
    03-16-21 06:27 PM
    Would not want to rehash the sterile BB10 arguments instead I have a question for bb10adopter : how does the battery of your iPhone SE hold up when you use it as a hotspot? Before I bought it I read a lot of complaints that it's battery is to small. Due to the pandemic I now mostly use it at home but when I will need to use more mobile data I considered using the Motorola I have with my second number as a hotspot instead.
    Or are you using the IPhone mostly connected to AC power?
    It really hasn't been an issue, but then I don't watch video, game or run any data hungry apps on my Z10, which is basically just managing my calendar, tasks and email. It's not. lot of data (around 500 MB per month max).

Posted via CB10
    pdr733 likes this.
    03-17-21 01:27 AM
    I use the best tool for the job. The apps I use daily can all run on BB10. BBTube is the best Youtube experience I've ever had, and it's exclusive to BB10.

If using BB10 is so sad, why are we talking on a BB10 enthusiast message board dedicated to assisting BB10 users?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry is everything BlackBerry related. For perspective, using BBOS was far superior to BB10 and the share of comparative sales from that specific time period does reflect that. Part of the overall failure of BlackBerry is the iconic traditional PKB association which didn’t allow the brand a successful consumer transition with BBAndroid VKB form.
    03-17-21 01:52 PM
87 ... 234