I just came across this explanation from Kevin in the CB BBZ10 review article:

BlackBerry 10 Email
    Gmail, Windows Live Mail, Yahoo!, IMAP, POP, CalDAV, and CardDAV are all supported in BlackBerry 10 e-mail. Setup is fairly automated thanks to the connection with BlackBerry Internet Service, which does some of the heavy lifting on setup. Most of on the CrackBerry team are Gmail users (and have Google Apps accounts). When you setup Gmail through the Hub, it'll be an IMAP connection by default (so sync time is 15 minutes at its fastest). To fix that, you need to go to Setup > Accounts > Advanced Setup to kick ActiveSync into gear. That worked well and will continue to work for paid Google Apps account subscribers, but it's getting phased out for new free Gmail user accounts (which is an unfortunate Google decision).

BlackBerry is now using ActiveSync for the transport conduct for push email. We've found overall the e-mail performance to be pretty good on ActiveSync (and two-way syncing to Gmail is definitely better than in the past on BlackBerry devices, which used a proprietary service that never worked quite right for consumers).

Google 2-Step Authentication isn't officially supported, which I use regularly. When I set up my Gmail through the hub, it was successful (third party passwords are accepted), but then found the calendar wasn't syncing since the password didn't go through. I had to add it individually through advanced setup.
    Last edited by bbvj; 01-30-13 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Wanted to credit Kevin
    01-30-13 01:04 PM

BlackBerry 10 Email
    Gmail, Windows Live Mail, Yahoo!, IMAP, POP, CalDAV, and CardDAV are all supported in BlackBerry 10 e-mail. Setup is fairly automated thanks to the connection with BlackBerry Internet Service, which does some of the heavy lifting on setup. Most of on the CrackBerry team are Gmail users (and have Google Apps accounts). When you setup Gmail through the Hub, it'll be an IMAP connection by default (so sync time is 15 minutes at its fastest). To fix that, you need to go to Setup > Accounts > Advanced Setup to kick ActiveSync into gear. That worked well and will continue to work for paid Google Apps account subscribers, but it's getting phased out for new free Gmail user accounts (which is an unfortunate Google decision).

BlackBerry is now using ActiveSync for the transport conduct for push email. We've found overall the e-mail performance to be pretty good on ActiveSync (and two-way syncing to Gmail is definitely better than in the past on BlackBerry devices, which used a proprietary service that never worked quite right for consumers).

Google 2-Step Authentication isn't officially supported, which I use regularly. When I set up my Gmail through the hub, it was successful (third party passwords are accepted), but then found the calendar wasn't syncing since the password didn't go through. I had to add it individually through advanced setup.
    which is what i was referring to lol. thanks
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-30-13 01:09 PM
    ... and, you are mistaken. My gmail is configured with IMAP on the BB10 phone. Not exchange/activesync/whatever. IMAP with SSL over port 993. "Use push if supported" is set to on. Works just great. Push email.
    yep this works just fine IF push is supported. Gmail does through IMAP-PUSH.
    01-30-13 01:09 PM

BlackBerry 10 Email

im sorry... but for some reason all this does is cofuse me
    the *** jonathan s. gellar said BB10 won't have push email, but instead it'll check for emails every 15minutes

" That worked well and will continue to work for paid Google Apps account subscribers, but it's getting phased out for new free Gmail user accounts (which is an unfortunate Google decision). "
    ??

"paid Google Apps account subscribers" ??? does that mean i need to subscribe to a premium google account to get push? im really confused
    if so, where can i subscribe o.o

i just recently switched over to gmail, etc..
    so will i have push or will i get new emails every 15minutes?
    Clive Moughan likes this.
    01-30-13 01:22 PM
    you will have push without paying for google apps. I dont pay google anything and have push just fine.
    raymond likes this.
    01-30-13 01:23 PM
    yea, but didnt some people say that Google drops this "exchange" stuff as of february 1st and therefore push will no longer work?

btw what does jonathan s. gellar mean with "push email, contacts or calendar" ? im really confused by this "push contacts, push calendar" stuff Oo
    01-30-13 01:27 PM
    yea, but didnt some people say that Google drops this "exchange" stuff as of february 1st and therefore push will no longer work?

btw what does jonathan s. gellar mean with "push email, contacts or calendar" ? im really confused by this "push contacts, push calendar" stuff Oo
    It will sync every 15 minutes as per Kevin's CrackBerry piece.
    01-30-13 01:34 PM
    but sith said push will work
    so who's right? : /
    01-30-13 01:35 PM
    It will sync every 15 minutes as per Kevin's CrackBerry piece.
    but sith said push will work
    so who's right? : /

There is a setting in the email to use push IF supported. The device is capable of it, it is all about your email provider. I can tell you for a fact that I do not pay for anything google related, AND i get my emails as fast as I did on my 9900.
    motor96 likes this.
    01-30-13 01:39 PM
    Hmm, I really thought of BB10 for my update this year but I hope push email will be available for gmail. Right now there is to many yes AND no answers. GOOD point, is we in the US will wait till march and maybe issues and bugs can be patched out. I do hope push is there, because I really do live and die on email no texts.
    01-30-13 01:43 PM
    The internet has some very, very strange minded people. I'm out.
    01-30-13 01:48 PM
    Bottom line...gmail will not be available on the blackberry as a push email client as of tomorrow if you have not set up active sync by then. The only way gmail will push is if Google either develops an app for BB10, or changes their current position on exchange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    wxmancanada and JR A like this.
    01-30-13 01:49 PM
    Ok so I did some testing to show some delivery and send times. Corporate Email to personal to Corp to personal to Corp

Corp Email sent from BB OS 7.1 device, through BES to Gmail BB10 at 2:43:57
    delivered at 2:44:53.
    Reply at 2:45:05 from BB 10 to BB OS 7.1
    delivered at 2:45:18.
    Reply at 2:45:33 from BB OS 7.1 to BB 10
    delivered at 2:46:19.

As you can see its about a minute (and part of that im sure is signal on the BB10 device).
    a1s2d3f4g5, Omnitech and motor96 like this.
    01-30-13 01:50 PM
    yea right now it might be working, but as of february 1st it won't work anymore, if im correct
    01-30-13 01:52 PM
    Bottom line...gmail will not be available on the blackberry as a push email client as of tomorrow if you have not set up active sync by then. The only way gmail will push is if Google either develops an app for BB10, or changes their current position on exchange.

The bottom line is that it is up to your mail service (whichever company people prefer). BB10 supports push. If your mail service does not, then that is your answer.
    01-30-13 01:52 PM
    yea right now it might be working, but as of february 1st it won't work anymore, if im correct
    New connections starting today possibly wont be able to use it. (Google announced Jan 30th). Apple users are in the same boat if they want to use native mail application.
    01-30-13 01:54 PM
    New connections starting today possibly wont be able to use it. (Google announced Jan 30th). Apple users are in the same boat if they want to use native mail application.
    True.
    01-30-13 01:58 PM
    Ok so I did some testing to show some delivery and send times. Corporate Email to personal to Corp to personal to Corp

Corp Email sent from BB OS 7.1 device, through BES to Gmail BB10 at 2:43:57
    delivered at 2:44:53.
    Reply at 2:45:05 from BB 10 to BB OS 7.1
    delivered at 2:45:18.
    Reply at 2:45:33 from BB OS 7.1 to BB 10
    delivered at 2:46:19.

As you can see its about a minute (and part of that im sure is signal on the BB10 device).
    So, your Gmail (not Google Apps account) is set up as an IMAP account, with "enable push if supported" on a BB10 device and delivers at these speeds? Correct?

That would seem to indicate that the Kevin and the CB team missed the "enable push" option. Because, as already stated, Kevin was very clear about the 15 minute delay for Gmail.
    01-30-13 02:08 PM
    The bottom line is that it is up to your mail service (whichever company people prefer). BB10 supports push. If your mail service does not, then that is your answer.
    That's exactly what I said.

Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    01-30-13 02:16 PM
    FYI-for those of us that don't use Gmail, there are many other email programs that do push if you want them to, like "Outlook.com" for instance. Additionally, there has always been a work around to set up imap and pop3 accounts to push using a forward to a blackberry.mail address. Your pop3/imap account forwards to your blackberry alias account which pushes.
    I personally use Outlook for my emails (200 a day for business) and I have used the 10-15 minute delivery for years and find it to be just as effeciant and less annoying then push accounts are-especially with high volume. I also use a 2ndary email client--Outlook.com--which pushes automatically. It's a web-based account like Gmail but runs on the MS Outlook system profile. Very good email client. If RIM uesd this push ability on the older OSs, I"m pretty certain they will use them on this OS as well because if nothing else, the concern from users like us on this thread.
    jertell likes this.
    01-30-13 02:20 PM

Gmail supports IMAP IDLE/PUSH. There's no need for a dedicated Gmail app. Google dropping support for Activesync is irrelevant.
    01-30-13 02:26 PM
    Gmail supports IMAP IDLE/PUSH. There's no need for a dedicated Gmail app. Google dropping support for Activesync is irrelevant.
    Thats what I thought, if you do imap then it works. I setup my iphone when I had it like that and the push was great vs the normal gmail setup.....
    01-30-13 02:30 PM

Wow. That puts a major crimp in my plans to get a Q10 in two months. I'm very reliant on Gmail for email, contacts, calendar, etc. Looks like I'll be keeping my S3 until a solution is found.
    convenor likes this.
    01-30-13 03:16 PM
    Wow. That puts a major crimp in my plans to get a Q10 in two months. I'm very reliant on Gmail for email, contacts, calendar, etc. Looks like I'll be keeping my S3 until a solution is found.
    Gmail supports IMAP-PUSH theres your push email
    CalDav and CardDav for calender and Contacts problem solved
    southlander likes this.
    01-30-13 03:20 PM
    We had a whole thread on this when google made the announcement guys.. I don't know why Kevin wrote that in his review, but it's not true. Blackberry 10 supports IMAP IDLE which has been said above.. IMAP IDLE is instant push.. YOU WILL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE INSTANT PUSH EMAIL ON ALL NEW AND EXISTING GMAIL ACCOUNTS WITH NEW AND EXISTING DEVICES. There will be NO 15 minute delay.
    01-30-13 03:22 PM
414 1234 ...