Desktop Manager 7 actually uses IntelliSync for PC syncing. I don't know what they used for 6 and older, but I think it was proprietary.

When I think "ActiveSync", I'm strictly thinking of Exchange ActiveSync OTA syncing of Exchange accounts (or, at least those accounts hosted by an Exchange server).

But I have noticed that a few do seem to assume that "ActiveSync" is supposed to pick up ALL emails in lieu of BIS. And, no, that's not the case.
    1. The user was talking about the protocol the software used for accessing Outlook data, not the protocol it used to send/receive data from the BB smartphone.

2. ActiveSync was a PC sync protocol. He's right. It was used for Synching Windows Mobile phones.

3. Exchange ActiveSync is different and it's used for Synching PIM data to mobile devices (now PCs as well, as Microsoft Outlook supports it in the latest/just released 2013 version).

If you want to make sure your email will sync on every platform without the need to utilize 3+ different protocols and set things up in 3+ different places, you shouldn't be using Gmail. It's that simple. And why are people trying to discredit EAS as a PUSH protocol in an attempt to make IMAP with IDLE extension seem better than what it is (which is, not really all that good and certainly not on par with EAS when you look at what EAS actually does).
    02-11-13 11:28 AM
    Is EAS "syncing" true syncing as in the data is physically stored in both places, or is the phone just a "tunnel" to the server where the data is? i.e., if the connection is lost, do you still have access to all the information that has been sync'd?
    02-11-13 11:45 AM
    Is the setting push not only a marketing name? I mean, it is sync. They can rename the push with instant sync, or so. But why it is named push? This doesn't mean, that syncing is bad.

I could be wrong...
    02-11-13 12:06 PM
    Is EAS "syncing" true syncing as in the data is physically stored in both places, or is the phone just a "tunnel" to the server where the data is? i.e., if the connection is lost, do you still have access to all the information that has been sync'd?
    EAS is intented to be sync not access tunnel. A BlackBerry 10 device will not lose access to data that's already been synced if its connection to the EAS server is interrupted or lost.
    02-12-13 02:58 AM
    I don't know which architecture you're thinking of which is just a "tunnel to the server", but neither classic MS Exchange, Exchange Active Sync nor IMAP require any such thing. In most cases, that is up to the design of the email client. Most of the good ones allow local caching of the data if desired, but the reason most handheld devices don't do it that way is simply because the bandwidth, storage and processor requirements necessary to make such a thing practical typically are very burdensome if not impossible on a handheld device. If you have a 15GB Exchange mailbox and a 5GB monthly data allowance with your cellular carrier, you don't want to be keeping a full copy of everything on your handheld. There are all sorts of ways to work that.
    02-12-13 05:44 AM
    There's some a'hole on Seeking Alpha saying it doesn't have it and hence will fail. The other reason is Balsillie sold all his stock in Q4. Duh, that's good news, his track record? Not so good. Oh, he says they failed to launch in the US. This reminds me of Apple in the old days. Too bad I'm sure all the Apple dead people burned all the tapes.
    02-15-13 10:14 AM
    There's some a'hole on Seeking Alpha saying it doesn't have it and hence will fail. The other reason is Balsillie sold all his stock in Q4. Duh, that's good news, his track record? Not so good. Oh, he says they failed to launch in the US. This reminds me of Apple in the old days. Too bad I'm sure all the Apple dead people burned all the tapes.
    Ahhh, so this is all Steve Jobs' fault? Gotcha

And they did fail to launch in the US... there was a collective jaw-drop at Thor's launch-day announcement that the BB10 phones wouldn't be available in the US for a couple of months.
    02-15-13 01:01 PM
    This response killed 10 bunnies
    abhibh likes this.
    02-15-13 01:50 PM
    You configured wrong .

Users who subscribe to Google Apps can integrate there mobile account as ActiveSync where the default would normally a combination of IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV. To complete this perform the following steps on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Swipe down from the top bezel
    Select Settings
    Select Accounts
    Select Add Account
    Select Advanced at the bottom of the screen
    Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    Complete all desired and required fields - Server address: m.google.com and Port:443
    Select Next
    Select desired PIM items for Synchronization

KB33472-How to integrate Google Apps accounts as ActiveSync
    Just confirming that this will also sync Google Calendar and and contacts to the Z10?
    02-15-13 03:22 PM
    Just confirming that this will also sync Google Calendar and and contacts to the Z10?
    No. To Sync all PIM data, Google services requires 3 dispirate connections.

IMAP for Mail
    CalDav for Calendar
    CardDav for Contacts

I think that's the point many of us were making.

Meanwhile, EAS (Outlook.com) uses one connection for all of those.

Especially in regard to Contact and Calendar data, EAS is significantly faster than DAV.
    juliankueh likes this.
    02-15-13 05:44 PM

IMAP for Mail
    CalDav for Calendar
    CardDav for Contacts

Especially in regard to Contact and Calendar data, EAS is significantly faster than DAV.
    Can gmail be pushed to outlook.com so it all gets pushed to my bb?
    02-15-13 07:06 PM
    Can gmail be pushed to outlook.com so it all gets pushed to my bb?
    Yes, but then that causes issues with Calendar and Contact Sync, so basically if you want to use one connection to push your Gmail calendar and Contacts you'd have to also replicate that in Outlook.com.

If it matters that much, then just use Outlook.com and switch everything over, setting Gmail to forward to Outlook (with a filter to put it in it's own folder, if you want) to catch anything else that you may have missed.
    02-19-13 02:19 PM

IMAP for Mail
    CalDav for Calendar
    CardDav for Contacts

This whole thread is total chaotic. Full of misunderstandings...

The specific article "KB33472-How to integrate Google Apps accounts as ActiveSync" of BB talks about what you can do if you have subscribed to Google Apps.

Such an Google App account is not a regular (free) Google account and "ActiveSync" in the article title just means EAS. So if you have subscribed to Google Apps you still can connect to it using EAS with one connection for mail/calender/contacts from BB10 and you don't need to use IMAP/CardDAV/CalDav. It works just like it is described by BB in the knowledge base article KB33472. Google has no intention to remove EAS support from Google App accounts and never had. It is only removed from free accounts.

I'm just saying to clarify it.
    02-19-13 05:47 PM
    Yes it does. If you have subscribed to Google Apps. Google Apps should not be confused with a free Google Account. Google Apps is not a free service except for education.
    02-19-13 05:53 PM
414 ... 151617