I don't want syncing, and I don't want to be setting up my 4 email accounts up every day... All I want is BIS to push POP messages to my phone. If they can't offer what they've been offering for years then I'm holding onto my OS6 devices.

I will not buy a Z10 if it offers less in the way of email functionality than my OS6 device. I don't care enough about Angry Birds to take a step backwards with email.
    as I said just auto forward copies of all pop emails to a push email service. check only that push service with your phone. solved.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    02-08-13 11:47 PM
    Exactly, sorry, wasn't meaning to argue. May be a very small issue, but it is one for me. My work email is through yahoo, and I left the 9900 for the Galaxy S3 to try it, but it didn't push yahoo email, so I went back to my 9900. I just wish we could get more clarification on if BB10 will support those type of accounts like iOS and BB7, or like Android. Big issue for me, and probably for some others.

Thanks for your help trying to resolve this issue. Appreciate it.
    same for me when I had an android phone. gmail pushed instantly through k9 (app). yahoo with the same exact imap settings could only update once each 15 mins.

02-08-13 11:52 PM
    Need to have big flashing lights around here.

You're email will come in just as fast.
    but different posters have different questions. some only care about the speed of getting emails. others are worried about battery life using imap. and others like sbtech are also worried about how emails sync and using pop, etc.

that's why this thread is such a sonofab****. lol.

02-09-13 12:03 AM
    My PlayBook doesn't. My PlayBook has the single worst email implementation of any gadget I own.

Gellar's article is a lot more accurate than many. For the hundredth time, if the default setting is to 15 minute polling, that is BlackBerry's fault and no one else's.
    but... that polling interval should be IGNORED if the service provider does push and you've configured things correctly.

02-09-13 12:06 AM

It really ticks off consumers when they rely on something for many years and then one day it's all gone.
    lol. story of my life.

JeepBB likes this.
    02-09-13 12:09 AM
    I just don't see the need to reinvent what's been working perfectly for years.
    rim in the consumer space is no longer "working".

JeepBB likes this.
    02-09-13 12:15 AM
    The latter.
    you get an option to forward it for a year as I understand it.

02-09-13 12:24 AM
    When you configured Yahoo, did you enable the "Push" slider in the IMAP settings?

Did they remove the pre-configured Yahoo entry in email account setup? Looks like they did remove the AOL option that used to be there, guess that shouldn't be a surprise..

Several people with Z10's I've read comments from claim that Yahoo mail comes in very quickly, I have a feeling there is just a configuration issue there somewhere.
    I originally used the preconfigured Yahoo setup, but I didn't like the delay. Then I found this thread and tried setting up as IMAP using the server you mentioned in your post, but the results were the same.
    02-09-13 01:03 AM
    I originally used the preconfigured Yahoo setup, but I didn't like the delay. Then I found this thread and tried setting up as IMAP using the server you mentioned in your post, but the results were the same.
    Could you see the server name configured using the Yahoo defaults? Was it "imap.mail.yahoo.com"?

And again - you had the "push" slider turned on when you manually configured the yahoo account, correct?

EDIT: Yahoo uses a proprietary push protocol that BB10 does not support at this time. (Yahoo does not have support for IMAP IDLE)
    Last edited by Omnitech; 03-03-13 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Correct Yahoo misinformation.
    02-09-13 01:07 AM
    Could you see the server name configured using the Yahoo defaults? Was it "imap.mail.yahoo.com"?

And again - you had the "push" slider turned on when you manually configured the yahoo account, correct?
    First time, I just entered my email address and password. I didn't really look at the configuration, but I'm pretty sure push was on.
    Second time, I went to advanced and chose IMAP, and used the rim imap server from your post. Push was on for sure.
    Just now, I went to advanced and chose Yahoo Mail, and it defaulted to imap.mail.yahoo.com like you said. Push is on for sure. I just sent two emails (one from gmail, one from hotmail) to my yahoo account and they both arrived on my computer within a minute but neither are on my phone yet.
    Like I said earlier, the same test and I get emails almost instantly with gmail, and still very quick with hotmail (within a couple minutes), but this doesn't seem to work with yahoo for some reason... unfortunately it's the email I use the most.
    02-09-13 03:37 AM
    BDS/BES10 push corporate email = yes
    WRONG. BES10 is a glorified MDM server that does not interface with Exchange in anyway. It will send the ActiveSync settings to your device but it won't push emails to your device.
    02-09-13 06:18 AM
    Wow I actually read this whole convoluted thread.
    I am not happy with the email experience so far and and looking for options.
    Here is my real world experience with my Z10 coming from Bold 9900 (and many BlackBerry before that) on BIS.
    I have 2 main Gmail accounts and a outlook com (that I don't really use). On the 9900, all mail was instant as everyone knows. I have sent test emails to all my accounts from both corporate exchange emails and other Gmail accounts. I also ccd my wife's Gmail on her curve. The curve still got all tests within seconds. My Gmail took 12 and 45 minutes to show up on the Z10! Outlook com took 7 and 8 minutes.

I do have the I map push setting turned on and 15 minute sync setup.

I get that BIS is gone.
    I get that Google is screwing BlackBerry with the dropping of easy support.
    Without rehashing the whole thread back to me, can someone give me some real options to have some faster email like I had on BIS?

Someone mentioned hosted exchange servers. If I switch to paid Gmail will it help?
    Are there better options(other providers, setting parameters)?

I find that this is crazy that my colleagues iphone gets their Gmail instantly and my shiny new BlackBerry is missing half of an email conversation

I won't even get into the fact that switching to imap caused me to delete quite a few emails by accident since I was used to deleting some off the BlackBerry and seeing them later in Gmail Web client.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 10:57 AM
    Weird, my gmail is instant!
    02-09-13 06:35 PM
    R.I.P. RIM
    02-09-13 11:36 PM
    Wow I actually read this whole convoluted thread.
    I am not happy with the email experience so far and and looking for options.
    Here is my real world experience with my Z10 coming from Bold 9900 (and many BlackBerry before that) on BIS.
    I have 2 main Gmail accounts and a outlook com (that I don't really use). On the 9900, all mail was instant as everyone knows. I have sent test emails to all my accounts from both corporate exchange emails and other Gmail accounts. I also ccd my wife's Gmail on her curve. The curve still got all tests within seconds. My Gmail took 12 and 45 minutes to show up on the Z10! Outlook com took 7 and 8 minutes.

I do have the I map push setting turned on and 15 minute sync setup.

I get that BIS is gone.
    I get that Google is screwing BlackBerry with the dropping of easy support.
    Without rehashing the whole thread back to me, can someone give me some real options to have some faster email like I had on BIS?

Someone mentioned hosted exchange servers. If I switch to paid Gmail will it help?
    Are there better options(other providers, setting parameters)?

I find that this is crazy that my colleagues iphone gets their Gmail instantly and my shiny new BlackBerry is missing half of an email conversation

I won't even get into the fact that switching to imap caused me to delete quite a few emails by accident since I was used to deleting some off the BlackBerry and seeing them later in Gmail Web client.

You configured wrong .

Users who subscribe to Google Apps can integrate there mobile account as ActiveSync where the default would normally a combination of IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV. To complete this perform the following steps on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Swipe down from the top bezel
    Select Settings
    Select Accounts
    Select Add Account
    Select Advanced at the bottom of the screen
    Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    Complete all desired and required fields - Server address: m.google.com and Port:443
    Select Next
    Select desired PIM items for Synchronization

KB33472-How to integrate Google Apps accounts as ActiveSync
    02-09-13 11:51 PM
    You configured wrong .

Users who subscribe to Google Apps can integrate there mobile account as ActiveSync where the default would normally a combination of IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV. To complete this perform the following steps on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Swipe down from the top bezel
    Select Settings
    Select Accounts
    Select Add Account
    Select Advanced at the bottom of the screen
    Select Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    Complete all desired and required fields - Server address: m.google.com and Port:443
    Select Next
    Select desired PIM items for Synchronization

KB33472-How to integrate Google Apps accounts as ActiveSync
    Seems like we could use a FAQ somewhere for detailing all these options. Even the BB KB article doesn't explain the context of that info at all.

And it's still quite mysterious to me why some Z10 owners claim that Gmail and Yahoo messages come in virtually instanteously, and others appear to claim it's on a 15-minute polling cycle, even with "push" enabled. (The only thing I could guess would be that they unwittingly set the account to use POP3 rather than IMAP, but given people's statements so far that doesn't seem extremely likely.)
    02-10-13 06:44 AM
    I am getting very similar results as omnitech. My gmail and outlook are set up using active sync but they're still taking 5-10 minutes to get to my Z10. Both are set up as push. Doesn't make any sense to me.
    02-10-13 07:13 AM
    Seems like we could use a FAQ somewhere for detailing all these options. Even the BB KB article doesn't explain the context of that info at all.

And it's still quite mysterious to me why some Z10 owners claim that Gmail and Yahoo messages come in virtually instanteously, and others appear to claim it's on a 15-minute polling cycle, even with "push" enabled. (The only thing I could guess would be that they unwittingly set the account to use POP3 rather than IMAP, but given people's statements so far that doesn't seem extremely likely.)
    I think that I have stumbled unto an explanation. It has to do with the network connection of teh Z10. It seems that the push timing is affected by whether or not you are connected via WiFi. WiFi gives instant sync while mobile network has the 15 minute delay.

Please see this thread about this : http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-times-770190/
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-10-13 10:13 AM
    Ok, I have read through most of this thread as well as others on the BB forum and am so confused as to whether I can get my Yahoo email to push immediately. So far I have had no such luck in doing so and it is checking every 15 minutes. Yes, I have the bar slid over to "Use Push if Supported". When I go into my email settings it shows the Server Address as rim.imap.mail.yahoo.com Port 993 and there is nothing in the IMAP Path Prefix. There is also info in the SMTP Server Address/Username/Port but I have not entered anything into the Update SMTP Password box. I would like to simply have my email push like it always has and was wondering if that is possible or if I am going to have to switch my email over to using a Google App account and using the Active Sync. I am so lost and am not a techie so my head is starting to hurt and am just looking for a step by step process for making my Yahoo account push instantly like it used to. I am in real estate and any delay can be costly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    02-10-13 02:12 PM
    Ok, I have read through most of this thread as well as others on the BB forum and am so confused as to whether I can get my Yahoo email to push immediately.
    It doesn't look like you're doing anything obviously wrong there - perhaps it would be more useful to start a specific thread like: "Any Yahoo users with push working on Z10" or something, might get more responses. I don't think we have enough datapoints yet re: rdcanuck's theory about Cellular vs WiFi retrieval speed to make any concrete conclusions.
    02-11-13 01:46 AM
    I think that I have stumbled unto an explanation. It has to do with the network connection of teh Z10. It seems that the push timing is affected by whether or not you are connected via WiFi. WiFi gives instant sync while mobile network has the 15 minute delay.
    Funny how everyone was cheering that the loss of BIS would remove the 15 minute delay.
    02-11-13 01:52 AM
    I have my BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha on Wi-Fi only and my Gmail usually comes in about 1 or 2 seconds after it's sent. It's on IMAP with a 30 minute sync interval.

02-11-13 02:28 AM
    People for God sake, set up your Gmail as EAS, issue solved, Google dropped support for new accounts, current users are not affected.

02-11-13 02:48 AM
    People for God sake, set up your Gmail as EAS, issue solved, Google dropped support for new accounts, current users are not affected.

Some people are still having issues even with Gmail setup using EAS, my self included. Granted, the we might be something else at play with my provider since the delay for me is only over lte but it is real for some.

Instead of some posters just claiming that we are BlackBerry heretics for posting a real issue with some theories based on real test, perhaps they could be a bit more helpful.
    The EAS suggestion is valid but the way it is phrased leaves a bit to be desired.

02-11-13 05:49 AM
    Which in turn hurt the consumer. Consumers rely on one technology from a service and that service goes and drops it.

I wonder if Google's support of EAS was partly why RIM dropped BIS? If so, that would have been a very poor bet on RIM's part.
    RIM had to support EAS. They didn't have a choice. Lack of EAS support was costing them customers in the consumer market because BIS functioned much like a 1990s technology, and on the business front because BES was expensive. Notice I said business and not enterprise. Companies the size of RIM can afford to pay for BES and not really feel a huge effect from it. Smaller businesses, especially those outsourcing their Exchange services, do. Sometimes the cost of BES on top of Hosted Exchange Services was more expensive than the mailboxes themselves, per user. That is an immediate turn-off.

Getting older Flagship Android phones + Exchange Online + Base Level Lync Online Communication services was often cheaper than going BB + Exchange + BES. This is why RIM struck that deal with Microsoft to get BES on Hosted Exchange - I think for free (or very cheap). It was quite prohibitive.

Large[r] enterprise customers usually manage their own servers for these things.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-11-13 11:22 AM
414 ... 14151617