To be quite honest with you very few consumers use POP3 and I have not come across one large corporation that does either. I have come across a few small medium enterprises that do though.

Blackberry is just going the consumer route. Besides POP3 is a dying, near extinct breed.

Anyway, you're welcome to stick with your 9800 but you will be sticking with it for a very long time. BIS will eventually be phased out as well so you will have to switch to one of the solutions provided here unless you just skip having mails on your phone and deal with them only on a pc.
    The responses in this and other threads on this issues tells me that POP3 just may be used more than you think. As popular as gmail is - I'll never use it, and for years I felt like I was the last of dying breed that still relied on their ISP provided email service for personal email.

Turns out, I'm not. And I'm guessing a lot of ISPs never added an IMAP option like mine never did.

We've all been happily using our pop3 emails tied to the BIS with no problems - until now. (Well, not me personally - no Z10 in the states yet - just going from what I'm reading here.)
    02-06-13 09:45 AM
    The responses in this and other threads on this issues tells me that POP3 just may be used more than you think. As popular as gmail is - I'll never use it, and for years I felt like I was the last of dying breed that still relied on their ISP provided email service for personal email.

Turns out, I'm not. And I'm guessing a lot of ISPs never added an IMAP option like mine never did.

We've all been happily using our pop3 emails tied to the BIS with no problems - until now. (Well, not me personally - no Z10 in the states yet - just going from what I'm reading here.)
    POP3 is no different on Blackberry 10 than it is on BIS.

It will still poll the server every 15 minutes while leaving a copy in your inbox. I just tested this on my iPhone and BlackBerry 9900 with a carrier email address I just set up.

BIS never really instantly pushed POP3 mails to the device. The NOC instead of the phone just polled the server at a given interval and then pushed it to the device when there was a new message.

The only difference with Blackberry 10 is that the NOC doesn't do the polling it is the handset itself.
    02-06-13 01:38 PM

It will still poll the server every 15 minutes while leaving a copy in your inbox. I just tested this on my iPhone and BlackBerry 9900 with a carrier email address I just set up.

BIS never really instantly pushed POP3 mails to the device. The NOC instead of the phone just polled the server at a given interval and then pushed it to the device when there was a new message.

The only difference with Blackberry 10 is that the NOC doesn't do the polling it is the handset itself.
    Honestly my 3 of my email address are POP3 and they are pushed instantly to my handset. Sometimes though there is a delay of 1 min or so but no more that that in any case.
    02-06-13 01:41 PM
    POP3 is handled completely differently in BB10 than with BIS. BIS/NOC polled every 15 minutes but if it found an email it was every 3 minutes until 15 minutes had passed without an email, then it went back to 15 minutes. Plus now that that the handset does the polling you have an additional drain on the battery of the handset, rather than the servers polling and pushing to the phone.
    02-06-13 01:44 PM
    Honestly my 3 of my email address are POP3 and they are pushed instantly to my handset. Sometimes though there is a delay of 1 min or so but no more that that in any case.
    Well, I just tried with a POP mail account and it doesn't push on both the 9900 and the iPhone.

Are you perhaps using BES? I know POP3 on BES is instantly delivered as I have a client with a similar setup.
    02-06-13 01:46 PM
    It's completely different. With BIS devices, the BIS servers polled the POP account and pushed any messages out to the phone. With non BIS enabled devices such as the BB10 devices, the device itself must poll the POP server every xx minutes, resulting in unnecessary data consumption and battery life reduction.

Messages that were found on the POP account were instantly pushed to the device.

While on the surface this sounds like a small change, it isn't. BIS doesn't consume your plan's data to poll for POP messages. Data is only used when a message is being pushed to the phone.
    02-06-13 01:49 PM
    POP3 is handled completely differently in BB10 than with BIS. BIS/NOC polled every 15 minutes but if it found an email it was every 3 minutes until 15 minutes had passed without an email, then it went back to 15 minutes. Plus now that that the handset does the polling you have an additional drain on the battery of the handset, rather than the servers polling and pushing to the phone.
    I understand all this but it was never push like a Gmail account where mails are received instantaneously.
    02-06-13 01:49 PM
    It's completely different. With BIS devices, the BIS servers polled the POP account and pushed any messages out to the phone. With non BIS enabled devices such as the BB10 devices, the device itself must poll the POP server every xx minutes, resulting in unnecessary data consumption and battery life reduction.

Messages that were found on the POP account were instantly pushed to the device.

While on the surface this sounds like a small change, it isn't. BIS doesn't consume your plan's data to poll for POP messages. Data is only used when a message is being pushed to the phone.
    Polling for mails uses so little data it is not even worth mentioning. I have an exchange account setup on my iPhone and I still get great battery life. I easily get close on 18 hours of use with about 6 hours on screen time.

And yes the email will have been pushed to your device once the NOC had done its polling but that message could have been sent as much as 15 minutes ago. So no, it wasn't push email in the strict sense of the word.
    02-06-13 01:57 PM
    I understand all this but it was never push like a Gmail account where mails are received instantaneously.
    It was real push. BlackBerry Server pushes to BB(there you have the push). Doesnt matter of eMail Account. With BIS you have a relative short push range of eMail. If you are in a conversation with someone over eMail the worst case is:

15Minutes for 1.Mail...and every 2.eMail all 3Minutes. But this worst Case is not real using...If he sent the 2.Mail at Minute 2,59 you have it instant. Average delaying time is ok for the normal user. This scenario is impossible for BB10 with POP3.

PS: Sorry for my english....
    Last edited by Chriz; 02-06-13 at 02:36 PM.
    02-06-13 02:14 PM
    Ok, I've read through part of this post, I can't figure this out.... I am using Rogers (yahoo) email, and on my Z10, my emails take about 15min to come in, this is not right. Does anyone know what settings in Yahoo email I need to set to get almost instant email?
    02-06-13 02:20 PM
    oh Hush:
    "Polling for mails uses so little data it is not even worth mentioning. I have an exchange account setup on my iPhone and I still get great battery life"
    Its not the data, but the use of either cellular or wifi power, both draining. The iPhone using an ActiveSync account uses push not polling (although you can set it to poll).
    02-06-13 02:30 PM
    Try this settings for yahoo email http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...YXmjiotgNMcRAg

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-06-13 02:44 PM
    Well, I just tried with a POP mail account and it doesn't push on both the 9900 and the iPhone.

Are you perhaps using BES? I know POP3 on BES is instantly delivered as I have a client with a similar setup.
    Nope I am not on BES. And i just sent myself a test email it reached within 23 secs on POP3. Yes yes i timed it lol

See even 15 minutes delay doesn't bother me, what bothers me is my handset connection and battery will be consumed more than usual as BB10 handset is going to check for new email and not BIS server.
    02-06-13 02:48 PM
    The iPhone using an ActiveSync account uses push not polling (although you can set it to poll).
    True push without having to maintain an open data connection to the server?
    02-06-13 02:48 PM
    oh Hush:
    "Polling for mails uses so little data it is not even worth mentioning. I have an exchange account setup on my iPhone and I still get great battery life"
    Its not the data, but the use of either cellular or wifi power, both draining. The iPhone using an ActiveSync account uses push not polling (although you can set it to poll).
    And you don't think the phones always on connection to BIS drains the battery?

I know my exchange account uses push and it cannot be changed, but the point is even though I'm always connected to the exchange server I still get great battery life. It's not like it depletes the battery in record time.
    02-06-13 02:49 PM
    Just for any novice reading through, pop3 is not push, period. Its not a push protocol, never will be, it can only poll. So to the people claiming they're getting push email with pop3, you're wrong. You may become confused if your test is a test email you send then open your email on the phone to check. This will perform a manual poll, OK instead of the timed poll. The real test is to leave email closed on the phone, not touch the phone and send an email. This way you aren't refreshing the mail. If you want to sync contacts/calendar pop doesn't do this
    02-06-13 02:52 PM
    True push without having to maintain an open data connection to the server?
    It's really no different than a Blackberry having to maintain an open connection to the NOC.
    02-06-13 02:53 PM
    And you don't think the phones always on connection to BIS drains the battery?
    BIS should have less battery impact. The way RIM's push works is the BIS sends your phone a message over the mobile network (like an SMS), which your phone is monitoring already anyways for things like SMS. You don't need to keep open an IP connection the way you do for things like IMAP-IDLE.
    02-06-13 02:54 PM
    BIS should have less battery impact. The way RIM's push works is the BIS sends your phone a message over the mobile network (like an SMS), which your phone is monitoring already anyways for things like SMS. You don't need to keep open an IP connection the way you do for things like IMAP-IDLE.
    It's not sent like an SMS... Because when you turn off the data on your phone you receive nothing. No BBM's, no emails, no Facebook notifications. Etc etc.

BIS uses an always on data connection with your carrier which is really no different than an Exchange connection. What is debatable is the impact that connection has on battery performance.
    02-06-13 03:04 PM
    It's not sent like an SMS... Because when you turn off the data on your phone you receive nothing. No BBM's, no emails, no Facebook notifications. Etc etc.

BIS uses an always on data connection with your carrier which is really no different than an Exchange connection. What is debatable is the impact that connection has on battery performance.
    02-06-13 03:05 PM
    Just for any novice reading through, pop3 is not push, period. Its not a push protocol, never will be, it can only poll.
    Nobody here is calling POP "push". BIS however is push.
    02-06-13 08:03 PM
    Try this settings for yahoo email Mobile Mail Help | - SLN3361 - Setting up IMAP on your mobile device

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10

FYI there is a special dedicated IMAP server for Blackberry users maintained by Yahoo. I don't know at this point with BB10 if there is any distinction between using that server and the 'generic' Yahoo IMAP servers. (I posted the hostname earlier in this thread)
    02-06-13 09:53 PM
    Nobody here is calling POP "push". BIS however is push.
    It's pseudo-push, as I and others have repeatedly pointed out. You are just moving the polling process from your mobile device to RIM's BIS POP client servers.

Neither is it "instantaneous" unless you were lucky enough to get an incoming message immediately prior to the next scheduled poll.

Yes, it has certain efficiency advantages, whether those are dramatic or not with BB10 is an open question. If I had a BB10 device in my hand I would have already done those tests.

It also has some drawbacks, as outlined previously.

Oh and BTW, I'd like a pony too.
    twstd.reality likes this.
    02-06-13 09:57 PM
    It's pseudo-push, as I and others have repeatedly pointed out.
    BIS to the phone is full push. How BIS gets the email is a different issue I'd rather have the BIS servers doing the work than my phone and data plan.

Oh and BTW, I'd like a pony too.
    I'm not looking for a pony, I just want the same basic functionality BlackBerry phones have had for years.
    02-06-13 11:19 PM
    OK everyone, just thought i'd share this with you all, i just tried to add one of my gmail accounts as EAS and it worked just fine, and yes is a free account, i believe if you had set up your gmail accounts before it will still work or am i mistaking in this one

here is how i did it in case any one wants to try
    Domain: google
    Username: [email protected]
    email address: [email protected]
    Server Address: m.google.com
    port: 443
    use ssl on
    use vpn off
    push on
    02-06-13 11:43 PM
414 ... 1213141516 ...