You are aware that "Webmail 2.0" is Shaw's exchange activesync support right? There's your push.
    I just tried this again on my PlayBook.

• Deleting a message on my PlayBook deletes it from the server and prevents me from downloading it at home
    • Checking the email at home on Outlook removes it from the server so if I want to keep the message on the PlayBook - I can't. It disappears from the PlayBook.
    • No filtering - No way to stop email marked as junk by the ISP from being pushed to the device - this was easy to filter out with BIS
    • Data is at the mercy of the ISP - many Shaw users reported emails disappearing from their webmail inbox during the migration to "Webmail 2 dot oh"
    • What happens when you reach your maximum storage limit? Deleting them off the server deletes them from the client
    • How are message rules used? I have over a dozen message rules to automatically move messages from the Inbox to various folders in Outlook.

Exchange might be good if you work at big company and often log into your email from various computers, but if all you use is your phone and a home PC then it's a mess.
    02-02-13 02:32 AM
    Phil, Can you reply on your phone with the "From" address being your original accounts, or do they get replied to as your Hotmail account?
    No. Within Outlook.com you can set your default From address to your outlook mail or "[Name] (on behalf of [insert email here])"
    xweb10 likes this.
    02-02-13 03:17 AM
    Id like to confirm imap idle accounts are push on bb10.
    02-02-13 03:25 AM
    I just finished watching the launch event, and tripped over a comment that the BB10 does not have push email? Does anyone know for a certainty that this is a fact?
    can someone explain to me what is push email, please forgive me fro the noob question
    02-02-13 04:52 AM
    can someone explain to me what is push email, please forgive me fro the noob question
    If i bring 10$ to you at the front door, thats push. If you have to get the 10$ at my front door, thats pull.

BTT: So theres no need for the BIS Option on BB10, but will BB shut down the whole BIS for BB10 or can it be used with BB10 so that everything stays the same as on older BBOS's?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    xweb10 likes this.
    02-02-13 05:16 AM
    Ok here how to test this.

Z10 owner (anybody) please make a new account on gmail and hotmail (do more if you want) and then set them up and test push email live in a video; then upload the video to YouTube. Right after you post video deactivate test accounts so you want be bombarded. This way we can see it on new accounts.

Anybody want to take the time?
    02-02-13 05:19 PM
    I don't mind not getting virtually instant email, but I still expect it within a few minutes or so of it being sent. So are we saying GMail delivery is within a few minutes or within 15 minutes?

Thanks (I don't have a BB10 to test myself, yet)
    02-02-13 05:38 PM
    I've been speed testing the 'push' capabilities of all my email accounts all day (Gmail, Yahoo! and Hotmail) on the Z10, and the clear winner was Hotmail... by a mile!

Yahoo! didn't push at all, it was pulled, and only every 15 minutes which is the shortest sync interval setting.
    Gmail wasn't much better, and I'm not convinced that pushed either.
    Hotmail was the only account that was actually pushed, and there wasn't even a sync interval setting while setting it up. It was push only, and it's very quick.

Needless to say, all my accounts are now being pulled into my Hotmail inbox and pushed to my phone.
    Well that makes me happy!!! My main accounts are hotmail except for one gmail for my SGIII and my ancient, original, aol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    darkehawke likes this.
    02-02-13 08:18 PM
    Hmmm. No me gusta.
    02-02-13 08:26 PM
    it's shocking that there is no more push email service from blackberry. absolutely shocking. with huge numbers of businesses using google cloud services and especially gmail, i don't think i can handle non-push, imap isn't cutting it here. active sync is gone. maybe google will release a gmail app, but i pretty much doubt that. considering a gmail app isn't going to mine for data, i could see maps, google+ etc coming to bb10, i doubt a gmail app though. maybe. nothing at this point is really going to stop me from getting a z10, the only question for me is will there be enough functionality to keep me on it.
    02-03-13 02:45 AM
    Are we still able to forward attachment in email without actually download it first?

Are we still able to receive email reliability and forward email with large attachment in GPRS/EDGE only mode?

Are we still getting the same reliable email experience as from the old BB?

If not? What is the advantages of BB10 over iOS or Android?
    02-03-13 03:24 AM
    i think people already confirmed that gmail does push on the Z10 and that jonathan **** gellar and kevin were wrong
    and now people are saying the opposite again

it's so ******** that after 11pages and the Z10 already released in the UK we still don't have a definite answer, can't somebody just upload a stupid video on youtube and try it out with different email providers? especially gmail...
    and if i'm correct... you'll have to change something in your settings (on ur Z10) for gmail to be able to push
    02-03-13 03:30 AM
    i think people already confirmed that gmail does push on the Z10 and that jonathan **** gellar and kevin were wrong

it's so ******** that after 11pages and the Z10 already released in the UK we still don't have a definite answer, can't somebody just upload a stupid video on youtube and try it out with different email providers? especially gmail...
    what does this have to do with jonathan gellar? or kevin? BIS is over, therefore there isn't the classic push email service. it only currently works with gmail because of activesync, google is ending activesync soon so when that's gone so is push gmail.
    02-03-13 03:31 AM
    i don't feel like going through all 11 pages, but somewhere in this thread... a few people who seemed knowledgable about this particular topic said that it doesn't matter if BIS is over or if google is ending activesync soon (july now, if i remember correctly..?!)
    basically they said that even without activesync gmail will still be able to push because of IMAP or w/e and therefore worrying over activesync ending is unecessary
    if i remember correctly
    02-03-13 03:34 AM
    yeah imap will likely work just fine, that isn't the same as push service and sync though, or as good

googles imap service is historically terrible, some more detail it seems if you set up a device right now it will remain working, but after january 30th active sync is disabled for new devices. this makes the american delay of new bb10 devices crippling if you want to sync mail/contacts/calendar reliably. with the lack of a cloud service from blackberry it seems there will be go polished solution for this in the interim. as i type this i realize that this may very well be an actual intentional shot at blackberry. activesync to continue to work on android and ios, windows phone isn't a real threat, but google would have been very aware of new blackberry devices coming out, and very aware that BIS was gone, and very aware this could actually prevent people from wanting a new bb.
    Last edited by katiepea; 02-03-13 at 03:51 AM.
    02-03-13 03:41 AM
    ok, but what does that mean exactly?
    all i know is that push works just perfect on my 9700 and it couldn't be better

people already said that imap isn't exactly amazing.. but it's what iOS and Android are using as well, isn't it?
    so since i have absolutely no clue about this whole POP/IMAP etc. stuff.. can i expect push gmail on my Z10 via IMAP? and therefore i don't have to wait 15minutes, is that correct?
    will it be instantaneous (like on my 9700 via BIS), or will i have to wait like 1-2mins?
    02-03-13 03:44 AM
    ok let me go down the issues here:

what it means is that since BIS is gone the historical push email service blackberry offered is no longer available.
    google's imap service is pretty shoddy at best and has a long history of errors during sync, messing up contact syncs, missing calendar appointments, timing out, failure to connect, etc. pop email is basically just a login to poll to check for email, imap is a sync protocol, not all imap devices support push though when they do it's usually "imap idle" i'm unaware if bb10 supports regular imap or imap idle, regardless it will likely work ok, but you're not guaranteed a notification or a proper push collection of data using google and imap. regarding your last question, sometimes it may be instantaneous sometimes it may not. unlike pop, imap could error out and you may never get an email until you remove/re-add account if it continually gets errors, it won't be anything like the old push service with blackberry that was instant as their BIS servers were pretty much using active sync as a middle man to you. time will tell, maybe google ends up releasing a gmail app for bb10, although if my suspicions are correct, meaning if they are disabling activesync as a very intentional jab at bb10, and i think they are, then they very well may not care about a gmail app.

some reasoning for me thinking google is intentionally doing this as a strategy against blackberry:
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/14/3...l-calendar-and
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3...s-windows-apps

basically they announced the end of activesync, ios users gasped, google announced an iOS app for them in exchange, and told windows users they were out of luck no app for you. some sort of cloud service would really be a wise idea for blackberry to work out in the near future. if these phones sell well, and there's even a remote spark, apple and google will be going at them full throttle, exclusive deals for developers, protocol exclusivity, etc.

this is upsetting because i do want to get a z10 and if i could buy one right now i could use activesync, because it will continue to work as long as it's set up before january 30th for existing devices, but after that it won't work for new setups, given the delay americans have for getting a new BB10 device they won't have the ability to use activesync.
    Last edited by katiepea; 02-03-13 at 04:21 AM.
    02-03-13 03:58 AM
    what does this have to do with jonathan gellar? or kevin? BIS is over, therefore there isn't the classic push email service. it only currently works with gmail because of activesync, google is ending activesync soon so when that's gone so is push gmail.
    I would think if you're a business using gmail you would be paying for the service so no worries. Right. And if a business can't afford to pay for it?
    southlander likes this.
    02-03-13 06:38 AM
    =

basically they announced the end of activesync, ios users gasped, google announced an iOS app for them in exchange, and told windows users they were out of luck no app for you. some sort of cloud service would really be a wise idea for blackberry to work out in the near future. if these phones sell well, and there's even a remote spark, apple and google will be going at them full throttle, exclusive deals for developers, protocol exclusivity, etc.
    I mentioned this in your other thread but the Gmail app on iOS only supports standard push email. No syncing with contacts, calendar, tasks, etc. You're only option would be to get an Android phone.
    02-03-13 06:42 AM
    Look what's in BlackBerry World for multiple gmail calendars

BlackBerry World - Calendar Sync
    02-03-13 06:58 AM

and if i'm correct... you'll have to change something in your settings (on ur Z10) for gmail to be able to push
    Like I said: POST A VIEDO PLEASE and show gmail switch push.
    02-03-13 08:59 AM
    It is a big Mistake to compete with Google on their Terrain. I hope they have a Plan B.
    But at the Moment it is a kick in the *** of the old customers with canceling BIS in BB10 silent.
    02-03-13 09:43 AM
    Gmail users, don't worry. I suspect that Google will come out with a Blackberry Gmail app similar to what they developed for the iphone. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/gmai...mt=8&at=10l3Vy

And if they don't, hey there is always Outlook.com or Yahoo which would be push on BB10 using EAS.

Google has declared an all out war on other smartphone platforms. Who would have known that email would have been such an important tool.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 02-04-13 at 03:19 AM.
    02-03-13 01:53 PM
    Gmail users, don't worry. I suspect that Google will come out with a Blackberry Gmail app similar to what they developed for the iphone. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/gmai...mt=8&at=10l3Vy

And if they don't, hey there is always Outlook.com or Yahoo which would be push on BB10 using EAS.

Google has declared an all out ware on other smartphone platforms. Who would have known that email would have been such an important tool.
    I'm off all google services. I don't even use Google as my default search engine on any of my devices anymore.

I don't like the idea of a dedicated app for email. I like them all in my unified inbox.
    02-03-13 11:08 PM
    I would consider dropping Google if my company wasn't so intertwined with it and other companies as well. Their services are unmatched unless you spend a lot of money. Ah well.
    02-03-13 11:41 PM
414 ... 910111213 ...