Correction: Gmail no longer supports EAS for free users, only paying customers.
    Says who? Google still supports EAS.
    01-31-13 04:23 PM
    Says who? Google still supports EAS.
    Yes they do, only for paying customers.... Google announced this themselves. Just type in google: "Google drops support for active sync"

Sent from an Unkown Device using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 04:27 PM
    The issue is Google is killing off Active Sync today, if the BB10 uses Active Sync for Google the question is will it continue to have push after today? Does anyone actually know if the BB10 supports IMAP IDLE? If anything the Google calendars have a better chance of not working after today.
    To the person that couldn't get Yahoo push on Android, you can use the excellent Yahoo Mail App and get Yahoo push.
    Says who? BGR? You can't believe that source.
    01-31-13 04:30 PM
    Yes they do, only for paying customers.... Google announced this themselves. Just type in google: "Google drops support for active sync"

Sent from an Unkown Device using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

Google drops Exchange ActiveSync support for free email accounts | ZDNet
    01-31-13 04:35 PM
    ISP accounts... like [email protected]? people use those? ... just forward it to a gmail and problem solved. I have 5 different email addresses forwarded to one... simple
    Yes, people still use those. And no, I won't forward it to a Gmail account. I value my privacy.
    01-31-13 04:59 PM
    I found this on the blackberryempire.com website posted 1/28/2013...if this is true, one of the most important features (at least to me) was the hosted email account, instant push notification and data compression.

RIM Publishes Details On BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) 4.3 SP1

With the new line of BlackBerry 10 devices coming out in 2 days and more later throughout the year, RIM has published details on BIS 4.3 SP1. 2 key issues that RIM points out are dealing with unlocking, which has just become illegal in the United States. As far as SIM Cards on different carriers go here is what RIM had to say:

When a user changes SIM cards and the new SIM card is provided by a different mobile service
    provider than the original SIM card, the user might not be able to use the email setup application to
    lo gin to the BlackBerry Internet Service Email account.

BlackBerry email address forwarding:
    • Research In Motion is transitioning away from providing hosted email services because there are many free email
    services available to BlackBerry Internet Service subscribers. The forwarding solution available on BlackBerry 10
    devices will provide automatic forwarding of email messages from the BlackBerry email address to another email
    address for 1 year so that subscribers can receive email messages sent to the BlackBerry email addresses on their
    BlackBerry 10 devices.
    • Subscribers can set up a BlackBerry email address fowarding rule using a webpage or directly on their BlackBerry 10
    devices. To set up forwarding information on the BlackBerry 10 device, subscribers are presented with an Email
    Forwarding screen when they try to add their BlackBerry email address in Settings > Accounts.
    • Subscribers who use their BlackBerry email address for their BlackBerry ID username will be able to sign in to their
    BlackBerry 10 device, but they may experience some limitations receiving notifications. It is recommended that users
    change the BlackBerry ID username to a different email address. Subscribers can change their BlackBerry ID
    username on their BlackBerry 10 devices by going to Settings > BlackBerry ID> Edit.
    • Subscribers who use their BlackBerry email address for their BlackBerry ID username must set up a BlackBerry email
    address forwarding rule so that they can continue to receive the following types of email messages:
    • Password reset email message required to reset the BlackBerry ID
    • Notifications from BlackBerry ID
    • Purchase receipts that utilize BlackBerry ID
    • There is no change to how the BlackBerry email address functions on smartphones running BlackBerry 7.1 or earlier.
    3_M4N and Omnitech like this.
    01-31-13 05:40 PM
    Says who? BGR? You can't believe that source.
    Says Google

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-31-13 06:32 PM
    Hopefully, setting up pop3 accounts will remain the same as that is what we use in our business and it works great--even with the 10-15 min delay getting them. So I wonder if we will still be able to set up the forward to a BB email account from a pop3 account in order to get the push if wanted?
    01-31-13 06:54 PM
    There is no BIS to push POP3 account messages to the phone. You could set up the phone to poll every 15 minutes, but that will chew up a fair bit of data and battery life.
    01-31-13 07:03 PM
    Yes, people still use those. And no, I won't forward it to a Gmail account. I value my privacy.
    Then forward it to an outlook.com account.
    raymond likes this.
    01-31-13 07:15 PM
    There is no BIS to push POP3 account messages to the phone. You could set up the phone to poll every 15 minutes, but that will chew up a fair bit of data and battery life.
    Or forward it to an outlook.com account.
    01-31-13 07:16 PM
    I currently only have my outlook account (pop3) set up as it is our business email account. I have never forwarded it in the past using the BB mail client so not getting the emails for the 15 min intervals is no big issue. And, we have an old grandfathered unlimited data account that we wouldn't give up so that isn't an issue either. Just wondered if it could still be done.
    Also I saw that kbz1960 mentioned the new (used to be hotmail) "Outlook.com" email services which is a web-based email client and a very good one (uses push BTW) but that is entirely different than Window's Office Outlook. I have had the Outlook.com account on my 9810 as a back up email account in case my company server goes down but seldom use it--still light years better than Gmail and more security to boot. Thanks for the info.
    01-31-13 07:22 PM
    Or forward it to an outlook.com account.
    I'm not setting up 6 Outlook.com accounts.
    01-31-13 07:26 PM
    Don't blame you! LOL
    01-31-13 07:32 PM
    I just don't see the need to reinvent what's been working perfectly for years.
    01-31-13 07:36 PM
    You don't need to. You can forward them all to one.
    southlander likes this.
    01-31-13 07:43 PM
    You don't need to. You can forward them all to one.
    And I can display them all in different mailboxes like I do on OS6?
    01-31-13 07:57 PM
    And I can display them all in different mailboxes like I do on OS6?
    I'm not sure about that. I only have the one account so never tried that.
    01-31-13 08:05 PM
    Having follow this thread since its creation - this is just one giant loop - over and over, the same questions, asked differently - the same facts, repeated over and over. People reallllly need to read the entire thread before jumping in.

- Someone says Google's ending EAS support...
    - Not if your a paying customer says another...
    - WHAT THE FRIG MAN, HOW CAN A FREE SERVICE STAB ME LIKE THIS says another...
    - To which someone replies with "You should pay or forward to a service like Outlook.com"
    - "Too much effort" adds in another person.
    - And then someone asks for a source for all of this..
    - Various people discuss IMAP-IDLE support.
    - Someone argues that Google isn't ending EAS support...
    - Refer to the 2nd point, rinse, repeat... several times.
    just_luc, madx80h, raymond and 1 others like this.
    01-31-13 08:06 PM
    Bottom line is: BB10 does support PUSH!

End of story!
    raymond likes this.
    01-31-13 08:57 PM
    Bottom line is: BB10 does support PUSH!

End of story!
    There are different PUSH implementations supported by different email providers.
    We know that BB10 supports ActiveSync used by Hotmail/Outlook.com.
    We dont know if it supports IMAP IDLE used by Gmail FROM TODAY! If you had push with Gmail before today you could have been using ActiveSync, which Google will kill off today.
    Yahoo has some other push implementation I believe.

Anyway I am sure there will be an update pretty soon if it doesn't support Gmail push.
    raymond likes this.
    01-31-13 09:20 PM
    I found this on TechRadar:-

"With the PlayBook 2.0 - and future BlackBerry 10 handsets - you won't have to run a wizard on the device and connect to the BlackBerry service to set up your email any more.

Instead, you just fill in the email address and password for your email account, like any other device. If it's a common email service - or any server you've used with a BlackBerry device before - that's all you need to do.

If you're connecting to a work email account, you can click Advanced and fill in the details of the server, but it's still far simpler.

EAS support

But the PlayBook doesn't connect directly to the mail service. BlackBerry software head Vivek Bhardwaj told TechRadar that PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 still take advantage of the BlackBerry infrastructure and servers but things are a lot easier.

"I can put in my Gmail account and what we do in the background is take the username and read the domain [from the email address] and we do all the heavy lifting to get the settings and do all the configuration and send that back down to the device."

The PlayBook works with standard mail protocols such as IMAP and POP3, but it also supports the popular EAS protocol.

This was developed by Microsoft (originally for Exchange; it stands for Exchange ActiveSync) but it's been widely licensed, and is used by Gmail and Yahoo as well as Hotmail. It's already supported by the majority of smartphones - Android, Windows Phone, Windows Mobile, Nokia, Palm and even iPhones.

In fact, RIM has been the only holdout, and currently you have to install third-party email tools such as AstraSync to use EAS on a BlackBerry handset or tablet.

Switching to EAS instead of RIM's proprietary push email transport is a major change, and it's something of a coup for Microsoft, especially when Bhardwaj praises it as an open standard.

"This is a shift in architecture, based on what we want to deliver as a company. The BlackBerry Internet Service and the BlackBerry Enterprise Server have served us well for the last decade.

"Over time, more consumers have latched on to smartphones, and enough of the industry is at that tipping point so we do need to be about standards. It's about open standards and an open ecosystem."

How BlackBerry email setup is getting easier | News | TechRadar
    convenor likes this.
    01-31-13 09:34 PM
    I'm not sure about that. I only have the one account so never tried that.
    Right. So you see where I'm going with this. RIM has removed features that significantly impact the usability of the phone as a communication tool.

Angry Birds is nice, but email is even more important.
    Berrywannabe likes this.
    01-31-13 09:54 PM
    But the PlayBook doesn't connect directly to the mail service. BlackBerry software head Vivek Bhardwaj told TechRadar that PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 still take advantage of the BlackBerry infrastructure and servers but things are a lot easier.
    Easier? With OS6 all I did was select the account type, put in my username and password and BIS did all the "heavy lifting" in the background like figuring out all the account settings.

This doesn't change the fact that this completely screws up POP3 support that many of us use.
    01-31-13 09:57 PM
    So, does anyone have a Z10 set up with a regular ol' POP3 account? One not forwarded to another account? How is it working?
    01-31-13 11:12 PM
414 ... 678910 ...