I didn't think about that, but without an app, gmail on this phone is basically useless. Hmmm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

That is patently false.. the playbook does not have push.. and I can tell you, my playbook alerts me before my phone does with a new email.... it will be just fine
    just_luc likes this.
    01-31-13 10:30 AM
    If I send email to my Gmail that is on my BB10 phone, the message arrives instantly... have never seen a delay yet in practice. Also, Calendar and Contacts sync works great!
    Bingo! Has never really taken more than a minute to come through for me on my Z10.
    01-31-13 10:34 AM
    I like pizza.
    01-31-13 10:43 AM
    Bingo! Has never really taken more than a minute to come through for me on my Z10.
    Need to have big flashing lights around here.

You're email will come in just as fast.
    01-31-13 10:45 AM
    So when is Gellar going to correct his trash of an article?
    01-31-13 10:46 AM
    Tested Gmail yesterday with the latest update on the Dev Alpha, and I can tell you for a fact, there is no 15 minute delay. I received the email the same time as my 9900.
    01-31-13 10:48 AM
    Tested Gmail yesterday with the latest update on the Dev Alpha, and I can tell you for a fact, there is no 15 minute delay. I received the email the same time as my 9900.
    Is that with gmail set up through activesync or IMAP?
    01-31-13 10:52 AM
    That is patently false.. the playbook does not have push.. and I can tell you, my playbook alerts me before my phone does with a new email.... it will be just fine
    My PlayBook doesn't. My PlayBook has the single worst email implementation of any gadget I own.

So when is Gellar going to correct his trash of an article?
    Gellar's article is a lot more accurate than many. For the hundredth time, if the default setting is to 15 minute polling, that is BlackBerry's fault and no one else's.
    01-31-13 10:53 AM
    This Thread has been a great, if confusing, read. I'm such an old tech dinosaur on some things. I STILL use my old Pre-9/11 Earthlink POP3 email address as my main mailbox. I just never gave great thought about the tech behind email accounts. I've just been so comfortable with my BB's BIS service I never thought they would change it. I do have a Google account but have no desire to use the GMail component of it. I did set up a brand-new Outlook email account so maybe that should be the my best option, if it comes to it.
    01-31-13 11:23 AM
    People should read how BIS works as a default... lol

While some of the data has changed, the underlying technology is mostly the same.
    experiment 626 likes this.
    01-31-13 12:36 PM
    2 things keep being stated incorrectly in this thread...

1 - Google is NOT ending support for active sync tomorrow.. they have extended the deadline for new paring until July 31st... so that's not something anyone buying a BB10 device in the next 6 months needs to worry about.
    The nice thing about BIS was that you could rely on it to always be there, until now. Web based services like Gmail frequently end support for certain protocols, especially as they further develop their own mobile OSs.

It really ticks off consumers when they rely on something for many years and then one day it's all gone.

There's a reason I like my POP3 mailbox and Outlook (the actual program, not Outlook.com. Thanks Redmond for buggering up that naming). It works.
    01-31-13 12:49 PM
    Have you tried it today? Is this an existing pairing? If so, you will see no difference what-so-ever. The Playbook also has IMAP-IDLE support so "push" email will technically work. I would be interested to know what CardDev, CalDev, and IMAP-IDLE will do to my battery though.
    01-31-13 12:52 PM
    This Thread has been a great, if confusing, read. I'm such an old tech dinosaur on some things. I STILL use my old Pre-9/11 Earthlink POP3 email address as my main mailbox. I just never gave great thought about the tech behind email accounts. I've just been so comfortable with my BB's BIS service I never thought they would change it. I do have a Google account but have no desire to use the GMail component of it. I did set up a brand-new Outlook email account so maybe that should be the my best option, if it comes to it.
    I'm in the same boat. I've been using 4 email accounts through my ISP for the last 12 years. Having BIS check the mailbox and push out new messages to my phone was perfect. I could do whatever I wanted with them on my phone and they'd still be on the server for me to check when I got back home. I don't like having dozens of emails on my phone - I read and delete them knowing I can reply to them and archive them at a later time.

My ISP (Shaw) now offers "Webmail 2.0" that's supposed to be nice and friendly with mobile devices. They actually let you set the email client up to use the webmail address (wm.shaw.ca) so you don't have to use a web browser to check for messages. Doesn't make much sense to me to use an email client to check a webmail service but anyhow...
    01-31-13 12:55 PM
    I would be interested to know what CardDev, CalDev, and IMAP-IDLE will do to my battery though.
    That's just a crap-ton of unnecessary overhead and exactly why we have the desktop software to sync with a program like Outlook.
    01-31-13 12:56 PM
    Email was already going to be potentially problematic for me because my firm has not yet decided if it is going to add BES 10. We used to be 100% BB only, now the split is about 70-30 in favor of non-BBs. Obviously, there's no way I would even consider a BB10 device if it's not supported for work.

My two main personal accounts are Yahoo based. Using them on the PlayBook sucks out loud. Yahoo has a dedicated IMAP server for RIM (imap.rim.mail.yahoo.com). However, it seems that every other day I get a pop up from both accounts asking me for my password (completely unlike my less frequently used gmail and outlook accounts). And who knows what the IMAP IDLE business employed would do the battery on the Z10.

No BIS -- and certainly no BES -- might just mean no sale for me.
    01-31-13 12:56 PM
    Email was already going to be potentially problematic for me because my firm has not yet decided if it is going to add BES 10. We used to be 100% BB only, now the split is about 70-30 in favor of non-BBs. Obviously, there's no way I would even consider a BB10 device if it's not supported for work.

My two main personal accounts are Yahoo based. Using them on the PlayBook sucks out loud. Yahoo has a dedicated IMAP server for RIM (imap.rim.mail.yahoo.com). However, it seems that every other day I get a pop up from both accounts asking me for my password (completely unlike my less frequently used gmail and outlook accounts). And who knows what the IMAP IDLE business employed would do the battery on the Z10.

Your work, I am assuming, uses Exchange active sync yes? Then BB10 will support it no issues. The PlayBook email issues are their own beast, and should be completely seperate from anything BB10 has to deal with.
    southlander likes this.
    01-31-13 01:05 PM
    That's just a crap-ton of unnecessary overhead and exactly why we have the desktop software to sync with a program like Outlook.
    You sync your email with your desktop via USB/Wifi? Im not going back to 1998.
    01-31-13 02:26 PM
    You sync your email with your desktop via USB/Wifi? Im not going back to 1998.
    USB. How else are you going to do it? I was hoping RIM would expand BIS and include an Outlook sync tool over BIS but no, they've scrapped that.
    01-31-13 02:41 PM

my experiences with yahoo mail in any setting even their own website is that yahoo mail is problematic. People send email with attachments to yahoo and my gmeil at the same time and it takes twice as long to be able to see it on yahoo webmail. Often I find the email never reaches my inbox or junk mail on yahoo.

Overall I don't really care what transport is used as long as i get the email in a short period of time. I've had no problem with gmail's IMAP on my playbook.. if gmail cuts that sometime down the road i'll exercise my right as a consumer and change.

As far as blackberry not having push.. people complained about having to buy a more expensive plan from carriers. Network traffic and the divices supporting them aren't cheap... people complained.. they listened...
    01-31-13 02:48 PM
    Gmail doesn't support Activsync anymore, at least for other platforms.
    Correction: Gmail no longer supports EAS for free users, only paying customers.
    southlander likes this.
    01-31-13 02:50 PM
    USB. How else are you going to do it? I was hoping RIM would expand BIS and include an Outlook sync tool over BIS but no, they've scrapped that.
    Im a Google for Business user so I can still use activesync. However, if I wasn't I would choose any other option (including polling every 15 minutes) than use USB sync. Whats the purpose of doing that if Im already in front of my computer?
    01-31-13 02:55 PM
    people complained about having to buy a more expensive plan from carriers. Network traffic and the divices supporting them aren't cheap... people complained.. they listened...
    And yet those same complainers still bought the more expensive iPhone plans.

I have a 6GB BlackBerry data plan - $30 per month. There's no additional $5 BIS fee. I'm not sure what there is to complain about.
    01-31-13 02:58 PM
    Im a Google for Business user so I can still use activesync. However, if I wasn't I would choose any other option (including polling every 15 minutes) than use USB sync. Whats the purpose of doing that if Im already in front of my computer?
    To me it's simple - plug in phone and sync. That way all my contacts are in sync between my phone and Outlook. Why wouldn't you want them in sync? Doesn't make much sense to use a third party online service to keep Outlook and my phone in sync. Three way sync is usually a fustercluck anyway.
    01-31-13 03:10 PM
    Without RIM's BIS servers checking my POP account every 15 minutes, something has to.

The problem is the lack of push email for ISP supplied POP3 accounts.
    ISP accounts... like [email protected]? people use those? ... just forward it to a gmail and problem solved. I have 5 different email addresses forwarded to one... simple
    01-31-13 04:17 PM
    If I use outlook.com for my email, will I have push email?
    Yes, Outlook uses EAS which was developed by Microsoft. Live, hotmail, outlook, gmail and yahoo will be push.
    01-31-13 04:22 PM
414 ... 56789 ...