I personally don't like being advertised to, never mind my inbox content being used to determine what ads they should show me.

Google is a nasty company when it comes to data mining. One reason why I'll never touch an Android phone.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    01-30-13 11:14 PM
    My Outlook PST file is a paltry 2GB. Everything is working fine. There have been several times where I've had to go back to an email from two, three years ago to look at something.

The problem with hosted services like Gmail is you're tied to them and the features they decide to drop with little notice.
    A 5-6 or God Forbid 10 GB PST file is completely different than a 2GB PST file, which is yes: paltry.

I've had Gmail since 2004. If I didn't delete email I'd probably have a 15GB PST file and that borders on the ridiculous not to mention working with IMAP inboxes in Outlook that large is like committing a very slow painful suicide.. Outlook is known for pretty sub-par IMAP performance, though (they added EAS support in Outlook 2013, though).

Gmail is best used with an email client that was designed with it in mind. I've had mail clients download one email multiple times because it was in multiple labels and Gmail labels are Folders in an IMAP client. It's just a huge cludge, and not something that I enjoy working with.
    01-30-13 11:16 PM
    I tried setting my PlayBook up like that, but anytime I deleted a message from my PlayBook it removed it from the server without prompting. There's no option in the account setup to leave a copy of the message on the server.
    when using playbook native email you have to treat it as tho you're on your pc,,, keep it or delete it are your choices,,, if you want to keep it just close it & leave it there,,, in my particular situation, i get my mail thru the bridge 'cuz my pc is hardwired... if i need wifi i just go to the hotspot down the street,,, only thing is the native email lights up like an 18 wheeler in middle america on a moonless night when i turn on the wifi when i'm there even tho i've already read/deleted everything already...
    01-30-13 11:23 PM
    I really couldn't care less about IMAP.
    iN8ter likes this.
    01-30-13 11:24 PM
    when using playbook native email you have to treat it as tho you're on your pc,,, keep it or delete it are your choices,,, if you want to keep it just close it & leave it there,,,
    I don't want or need all my email on my portable devices, I want it all in one place at home on my PC.
    01-30-13 11:26 PM
    My mailbox, my rule. I can care less what you do with your mail. I have no intention to go through my mail every day to delete them. I'd rather go fishing. Analogy with paper mail has no merits. That's why we moved to e-mail in the first place, so we don't have to shred them every day. And yes, I can also care less if google or anybody else track my messages to see what they can sell me. I ain't buying if I don't want too.
    I COULDN'T CARE LESS. Please... Seriously...

Neither could I. You can have your bloated mailbox and have fun wasting device space with it, too!

You delete the mails as you get them. How often do you check your email on a smartphone. Typically I will check an email within 5 minutes of it coming in unless I was on the ice and my phone was in Airplane mode, in which case I'll get it when I turn that off and go through them. I don't get that much email because most of the people I know have graduated to SMS, IM, and Facebook Messages. I also clear those every night. I like to keep things tidy.

That analogy has many merits, and makes complete sense. You asked a rhetorical question and I responded with one (well, at least it SHOULD be rhetorical). Email isn't really much different than Paper Mail, it just gets sent and received quicker. The same type of stuff gets sent. You keep your eBills in your email? Gratz! I shred the bills that come in the mail, as well as delete their electronic counterparts. Reciepts for purchases I print out and file away, since I may need tech support, RMA, etc. When the warranty is up or the stuff is gone (or broken) I throw them away. I download and put attachments in the proper place (if worthy) and delete the emails. I don't keep eCards, similar to how I don't keep Christmas cards forever. The analogy makes perfect sense. All that has happened is that we've moved most of our communications with other people from paper (sticky notes, cards, letters, etc.) to their electronic counterparts. Why I should suddenly feel the need to hoard it (which your rhetorical question seems to bring to question) is lost upon me ;-)

BTW, last two sentences should be "No, I couldn't care less if Google or anyone else tracks my messages to see what they may be able to sell me. I wouldn't buy it if I don't want to."

Just too much going on there to not point out (and no, I'm not saying my ForumSpeak is perfect... That part just sort of popped out at me!)

---

To get more to my point that I'm trying to drive home... No one cares about your 10GB inbox. Microsoft gives you virtually unlimited space in Outlook.com (there are people with several gigs of email in their inboxes, so they're serious). Outlook.com has Categories and Folders, which is superior to Labels. Outlook.com supports EAS.

A 10GB Gmail space is one of the worst reasons I've seen for someone sticking with Gmail. You're better off just saying you just prefer Gmail over Outlook.com. That actually makes more sense since you basically get the same amount of storage on each service, anyways... There are certainly other Google services that have a very sticky feel to them, but Gmail is - IMHO - not one of them.

---

As for keeping your email all in an Outlook PST file and deleting it all from the server. Well, that's anyone's choice to do but that's a risky proposition since if you actually want to keep those emails and your computer goes caput, you can be left in a rather odd situation (unless you have a backup, which I'd advise in that situation... Thumb drives are cheap, as well as external HDDs).

I'd personally never use IMAP4 on a mobile device if I had a large mailbox since it bloats up on the device storage and can cause client performance issues.

Also, EAS allows server-side search so even if the email isn't on your device you can still search for it. I have my client sync the last week of email, cause anything older than that is basically archived and *very important* anyways, otherwise I'd have deleted it minutes after it arrived.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-30-13 at 11:40 PM.
    01-30-13 11:27 PM
    I really couldn't care less about IMAP.
    See, this is what I'm talking about!
    01-30-13 11:28 PM
    I don't want or need all my email on my portable devices, I want it all in one place at home on my PC.
    Only 1 month files are on your device, not all of them. That's pretty much the case with all mobile email clients. On some mobile OSes you can specify how many emails to keep on actual device.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-30-13 11:31 PM
    Only 1 month files are on your device, not all of them. That's pretty much the case with all mobile email clients. On some mobile OSes you can specify how many emails to keep on actual device.
    I usually delete my emails right after I've read them on my phone. I have no need to have emails linger around on my phone, that's what I have Outlook for on my PC at home.
    01-30-13 11:46 PM
    My head is about to explode... Arg argarraggaagar!!

I'm more confused now than I was before. I only use my device and rarely cleanout my hotmail account.

Explain it in a way that the next poster won't contradict you... Or just tell me to start a new outlook account and dump gmail.

Thx
    01-30-13 11:48 PM
    I like pie.
    raymond and JasW like this.
    01-31-13 12:27 AM
    Should be a simple question, does Blackberry 10 support push email? iOS and Android support it for most email, it appears BB10 doesn't for pop email.

This is an option for mail in iOS. Fetch new data, Push.

BB10 does not have push email?-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21359614002.131237.jpg
    01-31-13 12:33 AM
    The problem with IMAP is that sync takes place every 15 minutes. Even if you receive your message near instantaneously, upon deletion on the device it will only be removed from the server during the next sync cycle. The same goes for adding and removing contacts.

I use Outlook mail on my iPhone 5 and if receive a message which I happen to read on my laptop the notification on the iPhone is cleared in a matter of seconds. I had to install an Outlook plugin on the computer for the syncing to work in this manner though because I'm still using Office 2007.

I haven't used my PlayBook in months, so when I get home tonight I will test this email thing.
    01-31-13 12:40 AM
    IMAP-IDLE is not push. It's constant polling (client side anyways, server side waits to respond). There is no data transferred until you get a message, but the data connection has to stay open. This has a really negative effect on battery life compared to BIS push. Unless ActiveSync has some magical way to locate a device behind a few levels of carrier NAT without an active connection, it won't do any better. BlackBerries are the only devices with true push because of BB PINs, which allows carriers to pass messages to them directly. Short of static IPs (which may be possible after IPv6 is mainstream), this is the only way to do it, and it becomes the typical battery-life / response time tradeoff of every other platform.

I'm seeing mixed reports if BlackBerry is actually killing of BIS, but I really hope not, there isn't anything comparable.
    01-31-13 12:44 AM
    Should be a simple question, does Blackberry 10 support push email? iOS and Android support it for most email, it appears BB10 doesn't for pop email.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359614002.131237.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	133277
    As far as I know it is the same case with iOS and android, POP3 mail can't be pushed but fetched only. In iOS you won't have option for push for POP3. The screenshot you have is an option for gmail in this case.
    01-31-13 12:46 AM

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359614002.131237.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	133277
    You're being a little disingenuous here. Tap on the fetch new data tab and then select advanced. It will present you with a list of accounts and what each is using.

POP3 has no push support and the only accounts that are pushed are Exchange and iCloud.
    darkoman4 likes this.
    01-31-13 12:47 AM
    The problem with IMAP is that sync takes place every 15 minutes. Even if you receive your message near instantaneously, upon deletion on the device it will only be removed from the server during the next sync cycle. The same goes for adding and removing contacts.
    The problem with IMAP is if you delete it from your phone, it disappears from the server too. And any other computer working off that mailbox. Useless.
    01-31-13 12:55 AM
    I usually delete my emails right after I've read them on my phone. I have no need to have emails linger around on my phone, that's what I have Outlook for on my PC at home.
    I think the only way for you to have what you had before is to have the same set up, but do not delete any mail from your next BB10 device. After your Outlook downloads all the mail to your PC, simply delete your email account on your phone and set it up again. This way all your mail on your phone will be deleted, and when you sign up again it will sync with your ISP server and show only the mail that came in since your pc download. Deleting and setting up email account takes less then 1 minute and could be performed daily.
    01-31-13 12:55 AM
    BB10 does not have push email?-imageuploadedbycb-forums1359615364.071833.jpg

This what I'm talking about.
    darkoman4 likes this.
    01-31-13 12:56 AM
    You're being a little disingenuous here. Tap on the fetch new data tab and then select advanced. It will present you with a list of accounts and what each is using.

POP3 has no push support and the only accounts that are pushed are Exchange and iCloud.
    That is not quite true, I showed that shot to avoid showing my email address BB10 does not have push email?-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21359615594.269783.jpgaccounts. I could be wrong, and it may not be push, but it arrives at the same time as my 9900. Clicking on that shows that it will push unless it can't connect, then it will check.
    01-31-13 01:01 AM
    I think the only way for you to have what you had before is to have the same set up, but do not delete any mail from your next BB10 device. After your Outlook downloads all the mail to your PC, simply delete your email account on your phone and set it up again. This way all your mail on your phone will be deleted, and when you sign up again it will sync with your ISP server and show only the mail that came in since your pc download. Deleting and setting up email account takes less then 1 minute and could be performed daily.
    I don't want syncing, and I don't want to be setting up my 4 email accounts up every day... All I want is BIS to push POP messages to my phone. If they can't offer what they've been offering for years then I'm holding onto my OS6 devices.

I will not buy a Z10 if it offers less in the way of email functionality than my OS6 device. I don't care enough about Angry Birds to take a step backwards with email.
    raymond likes this.
    01-31-13 01:14 AM
    Google is dropping support for exchange tomorrow. So any device that hasn't been configured by tomorrow will no longer be able to use the exchange service with a Google account.

Not having push is ridiculous. It is the backbone of BlackBerry. I'll say it again, this all seems rather rushed again.
    I have an Gmail account and is the only email I have. was going to get new bb10 but if this is ture it's as good as a chocolate tea pot !
    raymond likes this.
    01-31-13 01:16 AM
    Here, this should be a better example of what you are looking for. I want this to work, I use a 9900 as well, just hoping BB10 offers the same as what I am using now. The two blacked out emails are yahoo business pop accounts.

BB10 does not have push email?-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21359616602.058044.jpg
    01-31-13 01:16 AM
    That is not quite true, I showed that shot to avoid showing my email address Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359615594.269783.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	133280accounts. I could be wrong, and it may not be push, but it arrives at the same time as my 9900. Clicking on that shows that it will push unless it can't connect, then it will check.
    BB10 does not have push email?-imageuploadedbycb-forums1359616545.416068.jpg

This is a Gmail account on my iPhone 4S. It doesn't support push.

I think only iCloud, Exchange and Hotmail support push.
    01-31-13 01:18 AM
    Here, this should be a better example of what you are looking for. I want this to work, I use a 9900 as well, just hoping BB10 offers the same as what I am using now. The two blacked out emails are yahoo business pop accounts.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359616602.058044.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	133282
    Yes, iOS supports Yahoo push. I have never had a Yahoo account though so I'm going off Wikipedia.

It also states that Yahoo is not pushed to Android devices. Where that leaves BB10 I have no idea.

The link below gives a general overview.

http://http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...mail#section_2
    01-31-13 01:28 AM
414 ... 34567 ...