on BB7, w/ a POP3 acct., you have the option to delete an email on the phone ONLY or on the phone AND server,,, on the PlayBook NATIVE email it acts like as if you are on your pc, so if you delete in there, it's gone,,, to keep a copy on the server you must use the BRIDGED email,,, then it acts the same way as mentioned before,,, now from what i gather here, what the people that DON'T have gmail, yahoo or whatever, want to know is if they have an ISP provided POP3 acct., will BB10 still continue to push in the same fashion as prior OS's,,, seems the answer is IF your ISP email supports it,,, so call you internet provider, preferably tech support, & ask them...
    I suppose RIM wants us all to set up servers at home pushing email out to our phones then.
    01-30-13 09:00 PM
    I suppose RIM wants us all to set up servers at home pushing email out to our phones then.
    huh???
    01-30-13 09:03 PM
    I don't know about any of you but I get my gmail instantaneously on my Playbook. If it's the same on Z10, good enough for me.
    Exactly. Thats what i said on like post 5. To be 100% honest, if someone sent me an email right now my pb would ding before i get the ios notification on my iphone... no one complains about iphone, so what da problem is?
    just_luc and spike12 like this.
    01-30-13 09:07 PM
    huh???
    Without RIM's BIS servers checking my POP account every 15 minutes, something has to.

Exactly. Thats what i said on like post 5. To be 100% honest, if someone sent me an email right now my pb would ding before i get the ios notification on my iphone... no one complains about iphone, so what da problem is?
    The problem is the lack of push email for ISP supplied POP3 accounts.
    01-30-13 09:14 PM
    I slowly have been getting out of my old POP3 accounts for past couple of years anyway. A lot of other options around. Not really a problem for me, but I can see how this could be annoyance to some. There is always somebody or something that still has your old email address and you are afraid it could be important. But who ever has my old POP3 address I can give a damn about anyway. Not a life threatening problem
    01-30-13 09:22 PM
    like others said BB10 works same as Android and iPhone, if push is supported it will be used. Gmail on playbook [with IMAP] vs Gmail App on Android both receive email at the same time [many times playbook is faster, maybe because it is on wifi while my phone is on 3g/4g).
    just_luc likes this.
    01-30-13 09:36 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that POP is a legacy technology, and IMAP is the (relatively) "new" recommended technology over POP?

However, I'd think that stating "iPhone and Android works the same way" isn't a solution. It's more like re-stating the problem. BlackBerry is BlackBerry because it doesn't work the way iPhone and Android do
    3_M4N likes this.
    01-30-13 09:45 PM
    exactly,,, these guys are talking themselves in circles...
    01-30-13 09:59 PM
    exactly,,, these guys are talking themselves in circles...
    I have absolutely no intenten of going with a hosted email service like Gmail or whatever. POP is very much still a current email technology and it's absurd to not support it.
    01-30-13 10:10 PM
    I have absolutely no intenten of going with a hosted email service like Gmail or whatever. POP is very much still a current email technology and it's absurd to not support it.
    How do you mean they don't support it. They absolutely do support it, it's just that you have to wait 15 minutes for the email to arrive. If that is so big deal to you, I'll sell you my 9900 when I buy Q10.
    01-30-13 10:21 PM
    How do you mean they don't support it. They absolutely do support it, it's just that you have to wait 15 minutes for the email to arrive. If that is so big deal to you, I'll sell you my 9900 when I buy Q10.
    How do they push POP to my phone with no BIS? And I've been waiting 15 minutes for BIS to check the account for messages for the last two years. That's how often Outlook checks the server too. Works fine for me.
    01-30-13 10:37 PM
    It is at least a disappointment if true that pop email is no longer push. Blackberry was the first and became popular because of push email, was always their best feature. I will be getting a z10, and hope to figure out a work around, I found that the email checking every 15 minutes to be unreliable on android, sometimes it wouldn't check it for for hours, but that same pop email on an iPhone is push and instantaneous. Right now my iphone an 9900 get pop email at the same time, hope this stays the same with the z10.
    01-30-13 10:38 PM
    I said exchange, not gmail.
    I'm getting confused probably I'm not technical. Can I have Exchange email acounts on the BB10 as a standard feature?

I've waiting to look at the BB10, but if getting mail from Exchange is a problem or will be hard or will cost extra money on the BB10 then I'll have to reconsider. Thanks for any replay or comments.
    01-30-13 10:38 PM
    That's the only option there is.. and i'm not talking about on BB10.. i'm talking about on mobile devices period.. unless you wan't to stick to your legacy BB forever and a day, then you will be using IMAP IDLE if you want to use gmail.. that goes for BB10, iphone, the new unbuntu os.. EVERYTHING!
    iPhones have a Native Gmail app that pushes, like the Android app, using a proprietary protocol they developed. So, you're wrong there.

Windows Phone will use IMAP or POP3, but I think a lot of users will seriously question the decision to stay with Gmail in lieu of Outlook.com when Google has such bad development (as in, none) for Windows Phone. Windows Phones can still use EAS on their platform for another 6 months or thereabouts, BTW, but there is really no serious reason to stay with Gmail and deal with such bad support on a platform when there is a perfectly capable alternative available (nb4 someone starts naming obscure gmail features they "absolutely need").

Some OSes don't support IMAP IDLE at all, because there is really no benefit to it. The increased battery drain in many cases isn't really worth the "PUSH" you get from IMAP IDLE. I don't think any stock Android email clients support IDLE. I know Windows Phone doesn't (they've been very vocal about not supporting features that drain batteries, and limiting background tasks, etc.). The iPhone may, but it's pretty much null since Google has apps on iOS that arguably Rival their Android counterparts (Maps, Gmail, etc.) these days.

Ask yourself why do you think Google added EAS support to begin with?

If Gmail is so important that you cannot switch off of it, you may want to question your choice of platform, IMO. The experience is much better elsewhere if that's your thing.

IMAP4 and POP3 are both old (in tech terms, ancient) and desktop-centric technologies. Both of them. POP3 original spec is from 1988. IMAP4 was only about 4-5 years behind it. Basically, IMAP4 was developed around when Windows 3.1 was being released. Hope that puts some perspective on it.

If Google really wanted to liberate the world of Microsoft's proprietary push protocol, they'd open source and give away the one they use for Gmail on Android and iOS, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'm not sure what Apple uses for iCloud on iOS. I think they use PUSH Notifications to trigger a pull for their mail, but I'm unsure.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-30-13 at 11:08 PM.
    val_lixembeau and southlander like this.
    01-30-13 10:42 PM
    Let's all remember that other platforms don't really have push email either. I know Android doesn't for sure, even with their gMail app
    The Gmail app on Android pushes email.

The Stock Android email client supports EAS.

And companies like Microsoft and Yahoo! have their own apps for Android as well, which get email pushed to them.
    01-30-13 10:45 PM
    How do they push POP to my phone with no BIS? And I've been waiting 15 minutes for BIS to check the account for messages for the last two years. That's how often Outlook checks the server too. Works fine for me.
    My playbook downloads mail from my POP3 accounts every 15 minutes, same is with BB10. Nothing dramatic people. All I need now is my Q10.
    01-30-13 10:51 PM
    One of the major problems here is that there is HUGE misinformation about what "push" actually means.. obviously activesync and IMAP (IDLE) are better experiences as they sent messages through instantly, and one or the other is supported by nearly all major email providers.. BUT if you still use pop3 for whatever reason.. your emails will still be sent to your device, the only difference is the phone will check the mail server to see if there's new messages every 15 minutes rather then the bis server checking the mail server and then "pushing" the message to your phone without the phone having to look for it.

And as has been said in this and all the other threads about this.. this is the same as all the other platforms.. That's not to say it wouldn't be better if BIS stuck around.. but I would assume dropping it had to do with bargaining positions with the carriers.. RIM has been under pressure to eliminate BIS fee's for years.. but like the decision or hate it.. understand it or don't.. saying you're going to switch because of it is nonsense because no one you're going to switch to does it any better..
    Omnitech and val_lixembeau like this.
    01-30-13 10:51 PM
    If BIS is gone then I'll have no choice as I won't get email on my phone.

For privacy and security reasons I don't use Gmail, and I never will. Once Outlook on my desktop PC downloads the message, I have it on my PC forever, nicely sorted into the folders I want it in. I don't like carrying around emails on my phone, I read them and delete them knowing they'll get downloaded by Outlook later when I get home.
    Nevermind a large inbox can and often does cripple performance of email clients. Lol.

But, I do think it's cute that some people have drank the Goolaid and keep all their emails sitting there. They say it with such conviction: "Why would I ever delete any mail." Umm, probably the same reason you shred and throw away stuff that comes from the mailman... I mean, you can always buy a safe and hoard it, but why would you do that???

At least they can get better targeted advertising...
    southlander likes this.
    01-30-13 10:52 PM
    If a native gmail app was built but it used the Hub APIs, couldn't we still get them in the hub?
    01-30-13 10:55 PM
    Nevermind a large inbox can and often does cripple performance of email clients. Lol.

But, I do think it's cute that some people have drank the Goolaid and keep all their emails sitting there. They say it with such conviction: "Why would I ever delete any mail." Umm, probably the same reason you shred and throw away stuff that comes from the mailman... I mean, you can always buy a safe and hoard it, but why would you do that???

Ah the conspiracy theorists are out again.. Big bad google is coming to get us all! Oh no.. they send us ads with content we might actually like! I haven't deleted an email in 10 years, and I love the fact that if I need to reference anything ever.. it's archived and searchable with a few clicks. Not worried in the least that google will steal my precious emails or use them for evil..

If a native gmail app was built but it used the Hub APIs, couldn't we still get them in the hub?
    I would think that would be entirely possible.. not sure if it could be done by a 3rd party of if google would have to do it.. remains to be seen if google will build apps for BB10 of any kind.
    01-30-13 11:00 PM
    My playbook downloads mail from my POP3 accounts every 15 minutes, same is with BB10. Nothing dramatic people. All I need now is my Q10.
    I tried setting my PlayBook up like that, but anytime I deleted a message from my PlayBook it removed it from the server without prompting. There's no option in the account setup to leave a copy of the message on the server.
    01-30-13 11:06 PM
    One of the major problems here is that there is HUGE misinformation about what "push" actually means.. obviously activesync and IMAP (IDLE) are better experiences as they sent messages through instantly, and one or the other is supported by nearly all major email providers.. BUT if you still use pop3 for whatever reason.. your emails will still be sent to your device, the only difference is the phone will check the mail server to see if there's new messages every 15 minutes rather then the bis server checking the mail server and then "pushing" the message to your phone without the phone having to look for it.
    I don't want my phone chewing up little bits of data every time it checks every 15 minutes. I want BIS pushing out the messages when there are some there.

I'll keep my Torch 9800 until it breaks. After that I have an old Sanyo clamshell flip phone that I'll use.
    01-30-13 11:08 PM

My Outlook PST file is a paltry 2GB. Everything is working fine. There have been several times where I've had to go back to an email from two, three years ago to look at something.

The problem with hosted services like Gmail is you're tied to them and the features they decide to drop with little notice.
    01-30-13 11:10 PM
    Ah the conspiracy theorists are out again.. Big bad google is coming to get us all! Oh no.. they send us ads with content we might actually like! I haven't deleted an email in 10 years, and I love the fact that if I need to reference anything ever.. it's archived and searchable with a few clicks. Not worried in the least that google will steal my precious emails or use them for evil..
    Don't troll me.

I said at least they get better targeted advertising. That's the truth.

I said nothing that even came close to amounting to a conspiracy theory.

Just shut up.
    ssbtech likes this.
    01-30-13 11:10 PM

My mailbox, my rule. I can care less what you do with your mail. I have no intention to go through my mail every day to delete them. I'd rather go fishing. Analogy with paper mail has no merits. That's why we moved to e-mail in the first place, so we don't have to shred them every day. And yes, I can also care less if google or anybody else track my messages to see what they can sell me. I ain't buying if I don't want to.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-30-13 11:13 PM
414 ... 23456 ...