According to the CB review you will get push email with gmail.

just like the PB.

IMAP constantly updated...
    IMAP is not Pushed. EAS is pushed, IMAP is not. Cal and CardDAV certainly sync, but I wouldn't call them "PUSH" by a long shot.

PUSH IMAP (IDLE) is terrible and no one wants to seriously use that on a mobile device unless it's always plugged in. It's that bad. IMAP was not designed for mobile devices. The connections are ridiculously expensive compared to EAS in terms of power use.

IMAP polls for updates, not pushes.

EDIT: There is a reason why a Desktop Email client like Windows Live Mail or Microsoft Outlook will allow you to set even a 1 minute poll interval for IMAP, but Mobile Phone default email clients often set a 15 minute interval. IDLE is pretty bad for battery usage, too...
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-30-13 at 10:36 PM.
    netwerks1 likes this.
    01-30-13 04:10 PM
    What about my yahoo business account? It uses pop forwarding, It is push on the iphone and am worried it won't be on the z10.
    01-30-13 04:12 PM
    Will the servers at the RIM NOC still be checking my POP email account and pushing them to my phone just like they do on my 9800?
    01-30-13 04:19 PM
    Sith_Apprentice (or anyone else with a BB10 device):

Can you confirm if under the synchronization options the limit for sync'ing an IMAP account is still 30 days? Or, is "forever" available?
    01-30-13 05:36 PM
    Will the servers at the RIM NOC still be checking my POP email account and pushing them to my phone just like they do on my 9800?
    I'd like to know this too. My home email is a POP3 account from my Internet ISP, and they do not have an IMAP option.

I know that BB10 can handle POP3, but Kevin's review doesn't say how. Everyone seems to assume we all use gmail or corporate email accounts.
    01-30-13 05:41 PM
    PUSH IMAP (IDLE) is terrible and no one wants to seriously use that on a mobile device ...
    That's the only option there is.. and i'm not talking about on BB10.. i'm talking about on mobile devices period.. unless you wan't to stick to your legacy BB forever and a day, then you will be using IMAP IDLE if you want to use gmail.. that goes for BB10, iphone, the new unbuntu os.. EVERYTHING!
    raymond likes this.
    01-30-13 06:02 PM
    Also, and was mentioned in another thread somewhere, Google is extending activesync support for gmail until July.
    01-30-13 06:13 PM
    this is one of comments to z10 review. it is obvious BGR knows nothing

" dude why u are so uneducated or don't want to know.... GMAIL does use PUSH in bb-10.
    "When you setup Gmail through the Hub, it'll be an IMAP connection by default (so sync time is 15 minutes at its fastest). To fix that, you need to go to Setup > Accounts > Advanced Setup to kick ActiveSync into gear".
    now please stop sending fake info about it. even bb-10 use CALDAV, which gmail is using. so please either learn from other guys who has knowledge about it BEFORE making assumptions and writing it down....
    sometimes it makes me laugh about u man.. u are such a kid.. still remember that fiasco of dev alpha.. anyways to clear u I use iphone 5, macbook air and ipad as my primary device.... but still I am unbiased about products and let me tell u, this thing has a appeal. will be closely watching this OS.. this is a nice OS and phone.... "

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    01-30-13 06:16 PM
    this is one of comments to z10 review. it is obvious BGR knows nothing

" dude why u are so uneducated or don't want to know.... GMAIL does use PUSH in bb-10.
    "When you setup Gmail through the Hub, it'll be an IMAP connection by default (so sync time is 15 minutes at its fastest). To fix that, you need to go to Setup > Accounts > Advanced Setup to kick ActiveSync into gear".
    now please stop sending fake info about it. even bb-10 use CALDAV, which gmail is using. so please either learn from other guys who has knowledge about it BEFORE making assumptions and writing it down....
    sometimes it makes me laugh about u man.. u are such a kid.. still remember that fiasco of dev alpha.. anyways to clear u I use iphone 5, macbook air and ipad as my primary device.... but still I am unbiased about products and let me tell u, this thing has a appeal. will be closely watching this OS.. this is a nice OS and phone.... "

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    That's somewhat expected - setting up a GMail with ActiveSync. But we all want to know if regular POP accounts will be pushed to the device or not. Personally, it doesn't change because I have Exchange, but for many this is extremely important.
    01-30-13 06:19 PM
    That's somewhat expected - setting up a GMail with ActiveSync. But we all want to know if regular POP accounts will be pushed to the device or not. Personally, it doesn't change because I have Exchange, but for many this is extremely important.
    POP accounts cannot be pushed.. not with BB10, not with iphone or android either.. HOWEVER most email providers also support IMAP.. with IMAP (IDLE) you can receive service equivalent to push..
    01-30-13 06:28 PM
    Let's all remember that other platforms don't really have push email either. I know Android doesn't for sure, even with their gMail app
    01-30-13 06:32 PM
    POP accounts cannot be pushed.. not with BB10, not with iphone or android either.. HOWEVER most email providers also support IMAP.. with IMAP (IDLE) you can receive service equivalent to push..
    Yikes... another reason to forget BB10.

Sure, my ISP supports IMAP, but what happens if I want to delete a message from my phone and leave it on the server so Outlook can download it when I get home?

What if there's an email I want to leave on my phone after Outlook downloads and clears off the server?

Having BIS check my POP account and push the email to my phone is important to me. Email syncing seems to go wrong everytime. It's a disaster on the PlayBook too.
    01-30-13 06:35 PM
    Let's all remember that other platforms don't really have push email either. I know Android doesn't for sure, even with their gMail app
    Well it's becoming more clear that RIM BlackBerry wants BlackBerry to be more like iDroid.

It's because those other platforms don't support certain features that users stick with BlackBerry phones. Not supporting what you've been supporting for ever is shooting yourself in the foot then putting your foot in your mouth.
    netwerks1 likes this.
    01-30-13 06:37 PM
    Yes, it's understood that none of those platforms can push POP accounts. But BB7 and before could do it perfectly. And if they take that away completely from BB10, which I hope they haven't still, it would be a big issue. Like ssbtech said, if Blackberry can't do what Blackberry does better than the others, what shot does it have?

I'm still sticking with BB10 though.
    01-30-13 06:41 PM
    I don't know about any of you but I get my gmail instantaneously on my Playbook. If it's the same on Z10, good enough for me.
    just_luc and z_scorpio_z like this.
    01-30-13 06:41 PM
    I don't know about any of you but I get my gmail instantaneously on my Playbook. If it's the same on Z10, good enough for me.
    Same!
    just_luc likes this.
    01-30-13 06:47 PM
    Gmail supports IMAP IDLE/PUSH. There's no need for a dedicated Gmail app. Google dropping support for Activesync is irrelevant.
    This is probably the thing we all should take notice of.

The only problem I am really concerned with is, and from the podcast I guess Kevin isn't aware of, the fact that CalDav has not been working properly on the PlayBook for about two weeks now. Either we can't add new entries or we can't add the calendar at all. Kevin mentioned that he couldn't get gmail calendar on his Z10, and I am fairly sure it is the same issue. using ActiveSync seemed like a solution, but we all know how the Google/ActiveSync act will turn out...

And it's not a PB/BB10 thing. It's a server error. Shame is on Google and I really hope it's not their way or screwing us all up.

I was starting to question my dependency on Google's services... I wonder if this will be the final drop. I mean, we don't need to stick to Google, there are plenty of other service providers out there.
    01-30-13 06:47 PM
    Remember that RIM has been developing with business people in mind, and not just for people on BES. Anything that pushed before should continue to be pushed, or so fast that you can't easily tell the difference (a minute or so lag). These guys aren't stupid, nor would they have cut something that built their reputation on.
    anon(1005582) likes this.
    01-30-13 07:00 PM
    If you delete a message from your phone, is it gone from the server?
    01-30-13 07:21 PM
    How did RIM do it before with yahoo pop mail and how does Apple do it with yahoo pop mail? My yahoo pop mail comes in real time with Apple, with Android you had to wait 15 minutes and that was very unreliable bc it wouldn't always check when it should have.
    01-30-13 07:31 PM
    But my provider does NOT support IMAP. What about that? BIS does all the work for me now, although with the 15 minute polling (not really push), unless there was a message, then it checks in 2 or 3 minutes. If nothing is there, it's back to 15 minutes.

That's what BIS did. It did the polling of pop3 accounts and would push to the phone if something was there. I think a regular email client on the phone would do the polling on-device - using a bit more juice in the process.
    01-30-13 07:58 PM
    how about we all just go back to using fax machines only?
    01-30-13 08:30 PM
    I have 10 GB gmail mailbox as any of you. Why would I ever delete any mail. I am not cheating on my wife either, but I did ceck just for the heck of it. And it does period. It deletes mail from the server.
    01-30-13 08:31 PM
    on BB7, w/ a POP3 acct., you have the option to delete an email on the phone ONLY or on the phone AND server,,, on the PlayBook NATIVE email it acts like as if you are on your pc, so if you delete in there, it's gone,,, to keep a copy on the server you must use the BRIDGED email,,, then it acts the same way as mentioned before,,, now from what i gather here, what the people that DON'T have gmail, yahoo or whatever, want to know is if they have an ISP provided POP3 acct., will BB10 still continue to push in the same fashion as prior OS's,,, seems the answer is IF your ISP email supports it,,, so call you internet provider, preferably tech support, & ask them...
    01-30-13 08:54 PM
    how about we all just go back to using fax machines only?
    If BIS is gone then I'll have no choice as I won't get email on my phone.

I have 10 GB gmail mailbox as any of you. Why would I ever delete any mail. I am not cheating on my wife either, but I did ceck just for the heck of it. And it does period. It deletes mail from the server.
    For privacy and security reasons I don't use Gmail, and I never will. Once Outlook on my desktop PC downloads the message, I have it on my PC forever, nicely sorted into the folders I want it in. I don't like carrying around emails on my phone, I read them and delete them knowing they'll get downloaded by Outlook later when I get home.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    01-30-13 08:58 PM
414 12345 ...