Good words

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 03:32 AM
    I understand that it was painful.

I love BlackBerry like the next person (own them since the 7100t) but are some of us in denial about the BB10 OS usefulness in 2017? Also, like many, I too use the Google Play Store but we all know it's far from ideal (based on needs). As a primary device, can we really live with those limitations?

For those who say "I don't need all those extra apps," are they REALLY taking advantage of technologies that make life more productive and enjoyable?

I think BB10 BlackBerry's makes a great secondary device for someone who wants to use their BB10 BlackBerry but knows they have an Android BlackBerry or iPhone around! Am I wrong?

Posted via my BlackBerry Classic
    I really, really, really don't need those extra apps. Even though I know a lot of people who use them.

That may change over time. If it does I will re-evaluate then.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2163
    01-19-17 04:10 AM
    I think in totally different categories

1) For many people the app gap doesn't exist on BB10.
    These people are happy with the OS and don't understand what the problem is.
    Unfortunately, they are typically called "delusional" on CB.

BB10 users today are in exactly the same situation: My OS is secure and does what I want. Why should I leave?
    Very well said, sir.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    01-19-17 06:05 AM
    I guess I need someone to tell me what it is that I will need to do on an Android phone or iPhone that I don't do on my Passport.

I never used siri or google now when I had it, mostly cause I don't like people hearing what I'm doing. I never used it in the car either cause it was bad with names.

I think smart watches are stupid. We have enough tech distracting us if someone keeps looking at their notifications on their watch when I'm speaking to them I will walk away.

Let me know why it's so imperative that we understand BB10 is dead and can't be a smartphone anymore like Android or iPhone.

Posted via CB10

Hey man, I won't knock you for your experience! People evaluate technology differently. Some people prefer technology to do the basics and if it gets the job done, then it is serving it's purpose. I could even understand if some people try android and iPhone and the features are overwhelming and therefore are perceived unnecessary.

But, many people lack a proper demonstration. Most people don't watch YouTube videos on end to learn every capability of these newer devices. Other than Apple, few manufacturers have dedicated retail stores for their products with no competition on the same shelves to distract them. This allows full demo's that educate the customer on capabilities that they would never discover on their own. You can't ask questions about a feature if you are unaware that the technology even exists.

Same thing with the app selection. With the hundreds of thousands of available apps, it's very difficult for anyone to say that they're unnecessary until you have either reviewed or tried them ALL. Based on individual lifestyles, there are plenty of applications that can make life easier, help those with disabilities, education, business, for the elderly, home automation, etc. When you know more, you do more. You just have to be shown something that is relevant to you.

Finally, to Superdupont2_0's point, many people subscribe to "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" thread when it comes to mobile phones and technology. And there is nothing wrong with that. I love technology and if there are apps that can assist my lifestyle to make it more efficient (or make me lazier) or control aspects of my car or whatever, then I want to know how they work and how to get it. Unfortunately, as much as I love BB10, I know that it can't do many of those things. But I still put my SIM card in my Classic when I miss it like I have this week.

Sorry for the novel. Lol.

Last edited by JDayEnt1; 01-19-17 at 06:52 AM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-19-17 06:40 AM
    I guess I need someone to tell me what it is that I will need to do on an Android phone or iPhone that I don't do on my Passport.
    No, if you don't feel limited, you probably aren't.

I never used siri or google now when I had it, mostly cause I don't like people hearing what I'm doing. I never used it in the car either cause it was bad with names.
    Voice apps are a personal choice.

I think smart watches are stupid. We have enough tech distracting us if someone keeps looking at their notifications on their watch when I'm speaking to them I will walk away.
    I can see where they could be extremely useful, though for me this is not the case. Calling them stupid is akin to people who try convincing you to leave BB10. Everyone has different needs, and we all should respect that.

Let me know why it's so imperative that we understand BB10 is dead and can't be a smartphone anymore like Android or iPhone.
    For the most part, those who chime in it's dead, are responding to those who believe there's still hope of major updates and new device releases. Those who say you must move on should simply be ignored, unless it's advice to someone looking for more from their BB10 phone, than it can possibly do. For those who need/want more, BB10 isn't a smartphone anymore like Android or iPhone. That's not an insult to those who find BB10 all they need. It's a fact for those who found they need/want more than BB10 can offer.

You never know what tomorrow may bring. If your needs change, and you hit the wall of limitations, it doesn't have to diminish your love for BB10, but you may have to find a new platform to love.
    01-19-17 08:33 AM
    Posted via CB10
    very well said.

Posted via CBX
    01-19-17 08:35 AM
    Hey man, I won't knock you for your experience! People evaluate technology differently. Some people prefer technology to do the basics and if it gets the job done, then it is serving it's purpose. I could even understand if some people try android and iPhone and the features are overwhelming and therefore are perceived unnecessary.

But, many people lack a proper demonstration. Most people don't watch YouTube videos on end to learn every capability of these newer devices. Other than Apple, few manufacturers have dedicated retail stores for their products with no competition on the same shelves to distract them. This allows full demo's that educate the customer on capabilities that they would never discover on their own. You can't ask questions about a feature if you are unaware that the technology even exists.

Same thing with the app selection. With the hundreds of thousands of available apps, it's very difficult for anyone to say that they're unnecessary until you have either reviewed or tried them ALL. Based on individual lifestyles, there are plenty of applications that can make life easier, help those with disabilities, education, business, for the elderly, home automation, etc. When you know more, you do more. You just have to be shown something that is relevant to you.

Finally, to Superdupont2_0's point, many people subscribe to "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" thread when it comes to mobile phones and technology. And there is nothing wrong with that. I love technology and if there are apps that can assist my lifestyle to make it more efficient (or make me lazier) or control aspects of my car or whatever, then I want to know how they work and how to get it. Unfortunately, as much as I love BB10, I know that it can't do many of those things. But I still put my SIM card in my Classic when I miss it like I have this week.

Sorry for the novel. Lol.

No Problem and the novel is very much appreciated.
    I am a tech Geek and do all of the things you describe. I like to listen to podcasts (pocketcast) and stay up to date on all the latest. Guys at work come to me for my opinion on the phone that would best suit their needs. I would never suggest a BB10 device due to the dismal situation it's in but I do offer them the opportunity to take my spare just to play with.

I don't consider myself delusional as some have labeled but I left Andriod for the notification experience in the hub, the lockscreen and the typing experience. Android did not have that cornered for me. As far as apps I've found that most of the time I would want to try the new apps and then after the hype faded I did not use them much so if I have the core set I'm good. Besides I did note that any Android phone does poorly manage the system RAM and after 6 Months the phone drags it's feet and I'm not going to get started about the bugs that come with them or crashes. The consistency of BB10 is a feature. I try to use my phone to the fullest of a smartphones abilities and rival my families iphones at home. I have played movies I've downloaded using Flud using my Passport on to my Samsung TV wirelessly, print from my phone, stream YouTube on my Smart TV's, transfer data wirelesly to and from my home computer, control my computer from work with Teamviewer,stream music via 8Tracks, dowload music via StereoTube, plug flash USB sticks to my phone to share music or data. I do have an Nvidia Shield Tablet at home and get to try anything I am curious of so not missing out much. Playing clash of clans was a perk on Android but after being denied the experience I am much happier researching on the Internet things I'd rather know.

Perhaps my needs are simpler and BB10 on the Passport is the best communication tool for me. I know I will eventually have to move to a platform and just as I waited for Android to mature to the point that I would have all the features I had on my Jailbroken iPhone, I will wait for BlackBerry to mature their hub and Android to mature their OS a bit more so that the needs I have now are again met regarding notifications and data input (typing experience) and stability across the board.

Now I'm sorry for the novel but that's me delusional as it may be to some

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 01-19-17 at 09:06 AM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-19-17 08:42 AM
    I am a tech Geek and do all of the things you describe. I like to listen to podcasts (pocketcast) and stay up to date on all the latest. Guys at work come to me for my opinion on the phone that would best suit their needs. I would never suggest a BB10 device due to the dismal situation it's in but I do offer them the opportunity to take my spare just to play with.

I don't consider myself delusional as some have labeled but I left Andriod for the notification experience in the hub, the lockscreen and the typing experience. Android did not have that cornered for me. As far as apps I've found that most of the time I would want to try the new apps and then after the hype faded I did not use them much so if I have the core set I'm good. Besides I did note that any Android phone does poorly manage the system RAM and after 6 Months the phone drags it's feet and I'm not going to get started about the bugs that come with them or crashes. The consistency of BB10 is a feature. I try to use my phone to the fullest of a smartphones abilities and rival my families iphones at home. I have played movies I've downloaded using Flud using my Passport on to my Samsung TV wirelessly, print from my phone, stream YouTube on my Smart TV's, transfer data wirelesly to and from my home computer, control my computer from work with Teamviewer,stream music via 8Tracks, dowload music via StereoTube, plug flash USB sticks to my phone to share music or data. I do have an Nvidia Shield Tablet at home and get to try anything I am curious of so not missing out much. Playing clash of clans was a perk on Android but after being denied the experience I am much happier researching on the Internet things I'd rather know.

Perhaps my needs are simpler and BB10 on the Passport is the best communication tool for me. I know I will eventually have to move to a platform and just as I waited for Android to mature to the point that I would have all the features I had on my Jailbroken iPhone, I will wait for BlackBerry to mature their hub and Android to mature their OS a bit more so that the needs I have now are again met regarding notifications and data input (typing experience) and stability across the board.

Posted via CB10
    First of all, thank you for the equal respect in this conversation. I wish all thread conversations could be like this!

I feel you on the love for the Hub and typing experience. As for me, those are the MAIN two reasons I can't let BB10 go. Sure, there are some features I wish that the Hub in BB10 would adopt. I've gotten spoiled by new features in third party mail apps like Spark. But I'm giving up hope that BlackBerry will do any substantial updates to BB10 devices. As much as I want a Silver Edition Passport, it's a poor investment in technology for me. That's why I just ride out my Classic and Z30 till the wheels fall off. Then it's back to my iPhone and potentially the right Android BlackBerry like the upcoming Mercury (if done right).

Anyway, I respect the way you described your experience (I also want the new Nvidia Shield). And how you're a resource to your people. If you're right, and BlackBerry does update BB10, then we all win. Including the haters that call you delusional! Lol

The_Passporter and BigBadWulf like this.
    01-19-17 09:45 AM
    No, if you don't feel limited, you probably aren't.

Voice apps are a personal choice.

I can see where they could be extremely useful, though for me this is not the case. Calling them stupid is akin to people who try convincing you to leave BB10. Everyone has different needs, and we all should respect that.

For the most part, those who chime in it's dead, are responding to those who believe there's still hope of major updates and new device releases. Those who say you must move on should simply be ignored, unless it's advice to someone looking for more from their BB10 phone, than it can possibly do. For those who need/want more, BB10 isn't a smartphone anymore like Android or iPhone. That's not an insult to those who find BB10 all they need. It's a fact for those who found they need/want more than BB10 can offer.

You never know what tomorrow may bring. If your needs change, and you hit the wall of limitations, it doesn't have to diminish your love for BB10, but you may have to find a new platform to love.
    Great point of view. Also, thank you for being objective and respectful in your response!

BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-19-17 09:48 AM
    I think in totally different categories

1) For many people the app gap doesn't exist on BB10.
    These people are happy with the OS and don't understand what the problem is.
    Unfortunately, they are typically called "delusional" on CB.
    Just to comment on that point: most of the time the word "delusional" is used when referring to those who for some reason, against all the evidence in the world (no more production of BB10 phones, Blackberry ceasing to update development tools, a thus-far failed attempt to license the OS to 3rd parties, an all-in Android push, etc.), still insist that BB10 has a robust future and that more phones will come. It's akin to Linus sitting out all night waiting for the Great Pumpkin.

I don't see people being called delusional for simply enjoying their phone and loving the OS for what it is. I love my Passport, I also think BB10 is a great OS that failed as a platform, and don't really care for Android. But, I can call a spade a spade.

Truthfully, nobody but Blackberry itself is to blame for this, because they continue to issue the same meaningless, ambiguous statement: "we still fully support BB10." It's clear that this statement has been interpreted in so many different ways. The division in this community, all the hate and discontent, stems from the company not simply issuing a firm statement.
    01-19-17 10:26 AM
    "Fully support" is not full when the Hub on Android becomes more full-featured than the BlackBerry Hub.

I just found out today, while looking to get a replacement device, that our provider no longer has any BlackBerry phones on their list, and no Androids yet because the Android pilot has not yet finished or did not finish successfully. If a global enterprise customer, having 500-1000 persons in Canada alone who are issued a smartphone, cannot get BlackBerry 10 devices, well, you draw your own conclusion...

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 07:51 PM
    "Fully support" is not full when the Hub on Android becomes more full-featured than the BlackBerry Hub.

I just found out today, while looking to get a replacement device, that our provider no longer has any BlackBerry phones on their list, and no Androids yet because the Android pilot has not yet finished or did not finish successfully. If a global enterprise customer, having 500-1000 persons in Canada alone who are issued a smartphone, cannot get BlackBerry 10 devices, well, you draw your own conclusion...

Posted via CB10
    People do buy phones from manufactures you know.......crazy I know

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 11:03 PM
    People do buy phones from manufactures you know.......crazy I know

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I am crazy, I bought my Passport direct and unlocked, and would do so again, if that was a solution.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 12:02 AM
    Already bb10 has no future, should create an os android, for the z10, z30, passport and all devices bb10, to be able to extend the useful life of the devices
    01-20-17 05:02 AM
    Already bb10 has no future, should create an os android, for the z10, z30, passport and all devices bb10, to be able to extend the useful life of the devices
    Or at minimum, just update runtime to 6.0!

01-20-17 06:31 AM

Wishful thinking.
    01-20-17 06:36 AM
    Wishful thinking.
    Yeah, I know right!! Hahaha

01-20-17 06:37 AM

If you need it so badly, buy an Android device.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 09:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    Completely agree!

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 10:05 AM
    If you need it so badly, buy an Android device.

Posted via CB10
    First, let's continue the respect that we've had so far on this thread.

Second, it's not that I need it so badly, but we were discussing things that would be nice. That's all.

01-20-17 10:44 AM

That's simply not possible. And it's not an opinion, is a plain fact.

So, asking for that is pointless.

Posted via CB10 - Z30 STA100-5
    01-20-17 10:57 AM
    First, let's continue the respect that we've had so far on this thread.

Second, it's not that I need it so badly, but we were discussing things that would be nice. That's all.
    With all due respect.
    "Android Runtime for BlackBerry 10 – BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the current release of the Android Runtime (ART) and packaging tools to create a .bar file to submit to BlackBerry World. There are no plans to remove the Android Runtime from BlackBerry 10." - An update for BlackBerry® 10 Developers | BlackBerry Developer Blog
    01-20-17 11:01 AM
    Letting delusion run unchecked means eventually people start believing it as fact, which is orders of magnitude worse than what's happening now.
    I support jday's comment. How about stating why you don't believe BlackBerry will ever update Android rather than "I'm just stating a fact." the latter is condescending and maybe even wrong.

In United States we spent 16 months listening to experts tell us that Donald Trump will never be elected president. It's just a fact,they told us. Hell will freeze over, they said. I promise you, they said. Well, we just saw the impossible on TV.

So, yeah, maybe it's unlikely that BlackBerry will update the runtime but after you have lived long enough you realize how the world is less predictable than we think it is. Maybe BlackBerry finds someone to buy it and they go in a completely different (or prior) direction.

So all the "BB10 is dead and will never be improved/no new devices" people should state arguments and facts (real facts) rather than make derisive, conclusionary statements.

Posted via CB10
    JDayEnt1 likes this.
    01-20-17 02:27 PM
    I support jday's comment. How about stating why you don't believe BlackBerry will ever update Android rather than "I'm just stating a fact." the latter is condescending and maybe even wrong.

In United States we spent 16 months listening to experts tell us that Donald Trump will never be elected president. It's just a fact,they told us. Hell will freeze over, they said. I promise you, they said. Well, we just saw the impossible on TV.

So, yeah, maybe it's unlikely that BlackBerry will update the runtime but after you have lived long enough you realize how the world is less predictable than we think it is. Maybe BlackBerry finds someone to buy it and they go in a completely different (or prior) direction.

So all the "BB10 is dead and will never be improved/no new devices" people should state arguments and facts (real facts) rather than make derisive, conclusionary statements.

Posted via CB10
    But won't that be a completely different product?? Only that it would be built up on bb10 core. Say like sailfish os is built up on meego.
    01-20-17 02:38 PM

Posted via CB10
    I included a citation with a link. Is that not enough?
    app_Developer and BigBadWulf like this.
    01-20-17 02:49 PM
157 ... 34567