You can't buy webOS devices in carrier stores anymore - just on Amazon.
    Same goes with BlackBerry devices - not available in all carrier stores anymore.
    02-03-15 11:16 PM
    WebOS was a great system, and I am glad it's being used in other electronics. The mobile space is open enough for all, but WebOS as a mobility OS has seen its end. It's sad, but it made an impact on the mobile space.
    02-04-15 12:07 AM
    BB10 is a very good OS, but the lack of apps is what keeps users away.
    I still find the "app gap" argument off-putting. This is a side conversation, though. It's interesting that someone would want different looks based on the day. Location makes sense to me, though. Different applications are needed for different reasons obviously. While I'd like to give that a try, I don't think I will take it as far as you've described.
    02-04-15 12:18 AM
    In a way, what you do not know won't kill you.

Smartphones are now a lifestyle product here is my country. We no longer sell feature phones in the big stores or telco carriers and we are flooded with choices of Android devices and of course the iPhones.

Something happened to me last night. Found that that being able to transfer photos instantly from my mirrorless camera to my smartphone is such an easier experience to share them with my loved ones. But hey, BlackBerry Z10 so not have such feature... i have been happy using it, despite the battery (I don't mind carry spares) or the apps available in BlackBerry World (I don't use much of the other apps in Android anyway and I can live with the BlackBerry stable). This is a first where I would consider changing platform.

It sounds silly even to me, I could have changed to Passport or Z30 but the current phone does not give me what I want, I can change anytime. I can also change to android devices which gives me access of thousands of apps for each function. That power of choice is probably what influences consumers to pick up the Android and the iOS.

BlackBerry may attract more people back (imo) if their phones maintains their strength in security and user experience, at the same time also offers what other OS provides.

I use a Android device for work. I rely on Google services. As much as I like to use BlackBerry for business, I do not have the same integrated service with a BlackBerry. Maybe if I change to a z30 or passport, I may have solved 50% of my needs but the feeling of chasing after the latest phones irks me. The current one no longer seems sufficient. BlackBerry still have a long way to go because there are no superior OS anymore.

Posted on my white Z10 via CB10
    vbdwork likes this.
    02-04-15 08:17 AM
    I read an article about Google services and its requirements from a platform. According to the article Google requires any company interested in Google services to include 21 or more pre-installed Android applications on the devices. While I'm not sure how true this is, I've never been a fan of bloatware. There are many pre-installed applications that I am sure are useful, but too much would make any device unappealing for me.
    02-04-15 11:39 AM
    While I'm not sure how true this is, I've never been a fan of bloatware. There are many pre-installed applications that I am sure are useful, but too much would make any device unappealing for me.
    No, no... it's not a bloatware. Google Apps package* contains Google Play Store, Google Search, Gmail, Google Drive, Chrome Browser, Google Maps, Google Maps Street View, YouTube, Google+, Hangouts, Google Play Music/Books/Newsstand/Movies & TV, Google Keep... etc. Many are system apps for Android devices by default. You can install separately Google Translate, Google Earth, Voice Search, Google Goggles, Google Wallet, Google Calendar, Finance, My Tracks... etc. (Google Inc. has many apps on Google Play). Google Now is your default assistant on JellyBean and up. In other words, those are the core apps, part of the whole Android experience.

* - Few years ago CyanogenMod had to separate Google Apps from Android development. Google Android is an open source OS, but not Google Apps and Google Services.
    02-04-15 03:30 PM
    Again why I said I didn't know how true it was. I didn't know what apps fell under that. I can say however the usage of these apps will vary widely. I'm sure not every Android user makes use of every single one of these applications all the time. From some perspective at least some of these will be considered useless to someone. On the flipside, I use GMail and Youtube every day and I see the usefulness of having them pre-installed on a device. Again, there will be those who find these useless to their particular case. I'm not trying to compare the systems in a "this is better than that" manner. I simply want to understand the pull when I haven't felt BlackBerry has left me without what I need like so many others. I'm probably a terrible consumer. I just see what I need and use what I need.
    02-04-15 03:46 PM
    I just see what I need and use what I need.
    There are 2 ways to get exactly what you want in Android:

1. Get Superuser root access, then
    a) uninstall any app you want, including system apps
    b) freeze any app you want, including system apps (better)

2. Replace the whole OS with clean AOSP version (you need to get a popular device with 3rd party Android development), then install only the apps you need from Google Apps package.

Other option is to get an unlocked Nexus device from Google Play. They come with clean Android with no bloatware whatsoever. Look at Nexus 5, it's $350 only. It's one of the best price/performance ratio devices currently on the market. And you will get all the updates soon after they get released by Google. I'm testing Lollipop now on Nexus 5 and it's blazing fast with very fresh UI by default. The screen is just amazing.
    02-04-15 04:09 PM
    The Nexus 5 is the device I was looking at. The Nexus 4 was the only Android device I saw that didn't automatically turn me off, and the 5 kept that same feel. Now the Nexus 6...not the biggest fan.
    02-05-15 12:05 AM
34 12