I'm sure everyone on this forum understands the benefits of BlackBerry 10 as a platform. I'm just placing my opinion out for forum goers to read. Take this how you want; I'm not attacking anyone.

Android is propagating like crazy. The iPhone a singular popular device. Both have changed the landscape of the mobile space. Windows Phone is a rewrite of an OS (Windows Mobile) that was so broken it made simple operations tough. Its implementation made Windows capable of having an ecosystem like the other frontrunners. BlackBerry is the only company not going in the ecosystem direction anymore.

What does this mean? It means the road less traveled looks more appealing to BlackBerry. However, hive mind mentality makes BlackBerry sound like a dumb idea to the average person despite two of the biggest features (BBM and Blend) are cross platform. The average person thinks of the 8300 when they think of BlackBerry and are shocked when I pull out my Q10 and scroll down on the screen.

BlackBerry is trying to tie the mobile space together from what I can see. QNX runs many of the systems people use every day. Its microkernel runs CarPlay. Important systems like energy control stations, medical equipment and Point of Sale systems (I think, correct me if I'm worng) are run by QNX, so why are people surprised BlackBerry can run Android applications?

The feeling of elitism iOS users have is negated by the fact that so many people carry them. Android devices compete with each other constantly over who implements the open-source OS better. Windows Phone is trying to do its own thing but is lost in the shuffle despite having a viable OS (albeit a little jarring compared to its previous iteration). BlackBerry has taken a shot a giving support for both consumer (BBM on all competition) and enterprise (BES 12 making secure BYOD better) to give people freedom to choose without having worries.

Convergence is the next thing in my eyes. We have tons of devices that do essentially the same thing. We are not only swayed but also shamed into one ecosystem or another because of some such feature, app or availability. I use BlackBerry devices because they work for me, but I'm often made to feel like I'm missing out because I don't have an iPhone or whatever the current popular Android is. But I'm in a BBM group with majority Android users and none of us notice a difference.

Bringing the mobile space together makes more sense than what we're currently doing. I look forward to seeing a mix of all devices and no one having to feel left out. What do you think? Sound off Crackberry Nation!

Posted via CB10
    LoneStarRed, dmlis and joeragan like this.
    01-28-15 02:10 AM
    Well your last sentence describes Mobile Nations forums perfectly. So I'd say we are on our way!
    01-28-15 05:37 AM
    I like the last paragraph!

Posted via CB10 for BlackBerry Z30
    01-28-15 05:50 AM
    Meh. Peer pressure and fashion or being cool. If that's the life some want to live in, they are free to do so. I just use and support devices that make me happy.

If you are looking for something deeper, a more altruistic happening, good luck with that. Wars have been going on since mankind existed.
    01-28-15 08:30 AM
    You are describing platform agnostics practices and without it IoT will be difficult. That's probably why Chen wrote about the Net Neutrality thing.
    01-28-15 08:52 AM
    Convergence is all fine and dandy. However, it will never happen. Each platform and OS is trying to differentiate with its competitors.

"We do this and they don't. We have this and they don't"

As long as that sentiment remains there will never be any convergence in the mobile space we live in.

My $0.02.

Posted via CB10
    berry4life99 likes this.
    01-28-15 09:19 AM
    This is what I was looking for while I was writing. While I don't think there will realistically be a point of convergence (before the Singularity) it's refreshing that someone is doing something different. I've been a BlackBerry guy since 2008 and I'm in the process of getting my first Android device. I'm doing it so I can finally understand why so many people like the platform. I have an Android tablet but I don't think that gives the proper experience. A friend of mine switches back and forth between a Z30, a G3 and some random Windows Phone. He spent most of his time with the Z30, but has been using the G3 a lot. I'm far from jumping ship, but I need to know first-hand what makes Android so much "better" in the minds of the masses. Hopefully I become a richer person through the experience and gain an appreciation for sort of being one of the masses.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 11:06 AM
    I just use and support devices that make me happy.

Wars have been going on since mankind existed.
    I agree with supporting what makes one happy. But does it require ridiculing others? Does it require businesses to say "we'd love your support, but before you can use our X amount per month service you'll have to spend hundreds on a new device because we can't be bothered to support what you already have."? I'm always going to carry a BlackBerry. And I will be carrying a vanilla Android device. I'm just not pleased that it's had to come to this.

Maybe I am looking for altruism somewhere in this. But I know I'm expressing support for doing something different. Not like when a company releases a limited edition device or announces a partnership with another company, BlackBerry has taken up the desire to be in the background of the devices in people's faces. I know people who are die-hards for Android who would have a field day with Blend on their tablet. I find the direction BlackBerry is going to be an actually useful course of action. Still, a little part of me wants people to be as excited as I am about BlackBerry devices that look and feel different, BlackBerry software that raises productivity and ultimately unites the user's devices and experience. If my glasses are rose-colored, then so be it for a little while.
    Last edited by berry4life99; 01-29-15 at 05:37 AM. Reason: did not quote the properr parts.
    01-29-15 05:25 AM
    I agree with supporting what makes one happy. But does it require ridiculing others? Does it require businesses to say "we'd love your support, but before you can use our X amount per month service you'll have to spend hundreds on a new device because we can't be bothered to support what you already have."? I'm always going to carry a BlackBerry. And I will be carrying a vanilla Android device. I'm just not pleased that it's had to come to this.

Maybe I am looking for altruism somewhere in this. But I know I'm expressing support for doing something different. Not like when a company releases a limited edition device or announces a partnership with another company, BlackBerry has taken up the desire to be in the background of the devices in people's faces. I know people who are die-hards for Android who would have a field day with Blend on their tablet. I find the direction BlackBerry is going to be an actually useful course of action. Still, a little part of me wants people to be as excited as I am about BlackBerry devices that look and feel different, BlackBerry software that raises productivity and ultimately unites the user's devices and experience. If my glasses are rose-colored, then so be it for a little while.
    I like your avatar. It looks good on the best phone IN THE WORLD!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    01-30-15 10:17 AM
    Thanks very much! It's a photo of a belt buckle I own. Took me YEARS to find but I like the looks I get when I wear it.
    01-31-15 03:49 PM
    Thanks very much! It's a photo of a belt buckle I own. Took me YEARS to find but I like the looks I get when I wear it.
    Awesome. Lantern beats everything!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    berry4life99 likes this.
    02-01-15 04:48 AM
    Blend and cross platform solutions, could be BlackBerrys next big thing, this internet of things we hear so mush about these days.

Its a fresh direction, in a sea of "Sameness" and i applaud BlackBerry for taking an idea and finding an interesting line of sight, a sort of fourth dimension being brought into sharper focus.
    berry4life99 likes this.
    02-01-15 05:48 AM
    While I can understand how sameness can be comforting and is good for business, sometimes ya just gotta be odd for oddness's sake! I saw a review of the Passport yesterday and while the reviewer said she wouldn't use the device as a daily driver due to her reliance on Google services, she made a point to say how much she enjoyed using the device for the 2 weeks she used it.

That's what we need, balanced reviews instead of "it's not like Android so it sucks."
    02-01-15 04:20 PM
    Erica the tech geek who likes to film stuff? Shes cool and goes in deep on her review videos.

Yeah, In general, I find it hard to relate to people in tech who can only see the benefits of their chosen platform and brand name...

Is it insecurity?

Who knows, I just really like tech and try to see the merits in all who try to innovate.
    berry4life99 likes this.
    02-01-15 04:51 PM
    That's exactly who it was! I enjoyed her "pocket test" for the iPhone 6 Plus. I'm going to watch more of her videos.
    keypad likes this.
    02-01-15 06:30 PM
    ...but I need to know first-hand what makes Android so much "better" in the minds of the masses.
    The fact that you can do whatever you want with it in the way you like it. Customization options are virtually unlimited. Want to run Android with iOS or Windows Phone interface? Not enough, want truly unique UI? Don't like the original OS and want more options, even crazy ones? You got it all with the right device. You can have virtually new device every week, if you enjoy playing with it. And apps are available for everything you will ever want to do on your device. You feel free, in full control. This is why it's so popular.
    02-01-15 07:51 PM
    The fact that you can do whatever you want with it in the way you like it. Customization options are virtually unlimited. Want to run Android with iOS or Windows Phone interface? Not enough, want truly unique UI? Don't like the original OS and want more options, even crazy ones? You got it all with the right device. You can have virtually new device every week, if you enjoy playing with it. And apps are available for everything you will ever want to do on your device. You feel free, in full control. This is why it's so popular.
    Amen, brother. That's exactly why I'd choose Android if the BlackBerry Passport didn't exist (though I'd be tempted by iOS/Windows Phone/any other OS if it came with a good, hardware keyboard). I love my Passport, but I do miss being able to get superuser permissions in a Linux terminal on my Android.
    02-01-15 10:46 PM
    Amen, brother. That's exactly why I'd choose Android if the BlackBerry Passport didn't exist.
    There is something for everyone. If you need a hardware keyboard, better stick to BlackBerry. No other device on the market has better hardware keyboard - fact.
    02-01-15 11:26 PM
    I acknowledge your argument and I can understand part of it. I have always found "Android has so many apps" to be a weak argument for superiority. While I can understand the desire for customization, in the manner you describe, what exactly is the point of selecting a particular device over another if the interface can be duplicated anywhere? Taking it a step further, how does the level of customization improve the usage of the device, if at all? I'm sure it's a useful capability many Android users take advantage of regularly but I usually get the "BlackBerry is old, get an Android" from people wholly unaware of mods past the keyboards. As for me, while I miss using themes on my old BlackBerry devices, I see no real issue with the UI on BB10 to the point I'd want to modify it. However I will look into the mod aspects of Android when I get my device and see if it's worth it to try.
    02-03-15 05:54 AM
    I've bought in to the iOS / OSX and Google / Android ecosystems in the past, by which I mean a wholehearted switch - pay for and use the hardware / software and infrastructure as recommended.

Neither has fulfilled the promise that they held out before I switched, they both have their fair share or irritating bugs and crashes, and in the case of iOS / OSX a genuinely awful synch experience. I have no idea why it garners the praise it does.

That said, for the most part Apple desktop hardware has proven excellent in terms of keeping things tangle free and being virtually silent, something I more grateful for as time goes on.

As a standalone device, combined with simple USB drive access, this Q10 is the most capable and stable handheld device I've ever used (for my use cases), and I've no doubt a good chunk of that is down to the consistency a prescriptive interface brings. It definitely requires a bit of practice, but in this case practice is rewarded. I can't say that was true of either iOS or Android.
    berry4life99 likes this.
    02-03-15 06:28 AM
    I just want a Classic with Passport specs, and maybe slightly lighter with a Z30 carbon fiber backing.

This will be THE phone to get.

Posted via CB10
    berry4life99 likes this.
    02-03-15 08:20 AM
    You are describing platform agnostics practices and without it IoT will be difficult. That's probably why Chen wrote about the Net Neutrality thing.

Yes

From my ZedThir30 with Love. STA 100-2 (OS 10.3.1.2072).
    02-03-15 09:45 AM
    I look forward to getting a Passport and using it as my daily device. Until then, my Q10 will continue to serve me well.
    02-03-15 12:41 PM
    I acknowledge your argument and I can understand part of it. I have always found "Android has so many apps" to be a weak argument for superiority.
    It's actually the main argument. Apps allow you to do more things on a smartphone. There is an app for everything for Android and iOS. BB10 is a very good OS, but the lack of apps is what keeps users away.

While I can understand the desire for customization, in the manner you describe, what exactly is the point of selecting a particular device over another if the interface can be duplicated anywhere? Taking it a step further, how does the level of customization improve the usage of the device, if at all?
    It's not necessary to run other OS interface. It was just as an example. There are launchers on Google Play with unlimited customization capabilities. You have control over every single pixel on the screen, can create own shortcuts, own widgets, own animations if you like... basically create your own unique UI. And yes, it increases the productivity, because you can arrange your screens exactly in the way you want them. Install 5 launchers, if you like - change the way your phone looks based on your mood, or if it's Monday or Sunday... put different shortcuts first depending on what day of the week it is. Not to mention the intelligent launchers that rearrange your screens automatically in your office, at home, in the subway... and you still have control over every action, if you want to.

I will look into the mod aspects of Android when I get my device and see if it's worth it to try.
    Just get the right device. A phone for $150 wont show you what Android is truly capable of.
    berry4life99 likes this.
    02-03-15 05:08 PM
    Are we including webOS users in this convergence or is their platform too far gone to bother with? Are we just doing a Blackberry or greater convergence or is there room for the disconnected Mobilnations tribe? I know...kind of dumb right? You can't buy webOS devices in carrier stores anymore - just on Amazon.

webOS Nation | webOS Forums, News, Reviews, Apps and Help
    Last edited by early2bed; 02-04-15 at 12:16 AM.
    02-03-15 07:27 PM
34 12