Received an email from Nationwide Building Society regarding downloading their latest mobile apps for iOS and Android and I decided to reply:

"Hi Nationwide,

I would use a Mobile App to manage my accounts, however, I have a Blackberry Z10 and a Nationwide App hasn't been developed for that platform."

This was the response:

"One of the main fundamental reasons we have not yet created a mobile banking app for a Blackberry mobile phone is because the actual browser its self is not of a high enough standard to support our full internet banking web page unlike a lot of smart phones that run on a Linux based operating system."

I don't know why but the tone of the email really grinds my gears, is there any truth to this?
    11-05-14 10:23 AM
    Sounds like they might be confused between BB10 and BBOS.
    11-05-14 10:28 AM
    Maybe the "not" was unintentional, and they mean that the browsers on the other phones are insufficient, so they need an app, whereas the BB10 browser is good enough?

Otherwise it makes no sense.
    eldrover likes this.
    11-05-14 10:28 AM
    Keep in mind that the answer you received is not from the technical staff.

Now, if they need the browser for their app, it means that they probably use Cordova/Phonegap to encapsulate a web app. If it's the case, it's easy for them to create a version for BB10 with the BlackBerry WebWorks SDK.

Even if native, their app can be ported to BB10. In this case, IOS apps are in Objective C, Android ones probably in Java, and BB10 ones in C++. So they need to invest some time and money to do this.

I guess it's not a priority for them.
    11-05-14 10:40 AM
    Sound like an excuse, not based on fact. But then I don't know of many Banking Apps on BB10....

At this point I think your wasting your time contacting developers and companies about their apps, back at the launch it was a good idea and I know I contacted a number of them. But that was a different time and BB10 had a lot of promises,,, Now I don't blame anyone for time taking the time to develop for BlackBerry with marktshare where it is, the future of the Platform still in question and the move to Android anyway.... why would someone like Nationwide do it? Sure those that make BlackBerry Utilities, or Apps for will find a market and make money.... but developers of apps for large companies are looking for something different.
    11-05-14 10:46 AM
    Received an email from Nationwide Building Society regarding downloading their latest mobile apps for iOS and Android and I decided to reply:

"Hi Nationwide,

I would use a Mobile App to manage my accounts, however, I have a Blackberry Z10 and a Nationwide App hasn't been developed for that platform."

This was the response:

"One of the main fundamental reasons we have not yet created a mobile banking app for a Blackberry mobile phone is because the actual browser its self is not of a high enough standard to support our full internet banking web page unlike a lot of smart phones that run on a Linux based operating system."

I don't know why but the tone of the email really grinds my gears, is there any truth to this?
    Send them back this..

Dear Sir/Madam,

I think you have confused the old Blackberry devices with the new ones that Blackberry has been releasing in the last two year. Blackberry 10 has a browser that is more compliant than iOS or Android when it comes to HTML5, the new standard in web site coding. Here is the information.

HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

To understand the differences, please visit the following link and then click on the "Compare screens" button and prepare to "work wide"

BlackBerry Passport ? New BlackBerry Passport Smartphone - EN

Thanks

Your hoping to continue to be your customer.
    Ealaionta and SirSti23 like this.
    11-05-14 11:02 AM
    Send them back this..

Dear Sir/Madam,

I think you have confused the old Blackberry devices with the new ones that Blackberry has been releasing in the last two year. Blackberry 10 has a browser that is more compliant than iOS or Android when it comes to HTML5, the new standard in web site coding. Here is the information.

HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

To understand the differences, please visit the following link and then click on the "Compare screens" button and prepare to "work wide"

BlackBerry Passport ? New BlackBerry Passport Smartphone - EN

Thanks

Your hoping to continue to be your customer.
    There is a difference in being HTML compliant, and having all of the current TLS security standards in place....

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tocols-909342/

Something that might not make a difference doing a web purchase, but that a dedicated app from a Bank might be very interested in going a step further to require.
    11-07-14 12:08 PM
    Their web page looks well enough designed? Will it not work in the BlackBerry browser.

Try desktop mode or you could also run the android app under bb10 could you not.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-14 01:22 PM