Please provide data: how does that 80 million line breakdown between:

Curves
    Bolds
    Torches
    Storms
    Pearls
    Styles

etc

Really wish people would stop making claims about "vast majority of the market" when they don't have market data to support it.
    They may not have market data but I don't think many would agree with the statement. I mean seriously, I have seen quite a few Bold 9900's at my job (Home Depot) but that mainly from business men. When talking bout the average consumer, I mostly see curves...and not even a lot of them because we all know RIM is almost irrelevant in the US. Places where the are selling a lot of BB's usually can't afford the higher prices of a Bold. Plus they aren't making money on the hardware side anymore. Hate to say it but id agree there a way more low cost BB's out there than high end

Hopefully BB10 can bring them back to the ASP's the used to enjoy
    11-30-12 01:14 PM
    People should pay attention to Palm and pay head to history. In the NA corporate market Palm PDA were widely used as replacements for paper daytimers in my company penetration was at 80% for managers and up. Blackberries wiped them out in less then 2 years. Now Blackberry is being wiped out by phones with more functionality and RIM has been saying for the last 1.5 years "Wait" and we will have something great.

What needs to be understood is once a segment is lost you don't get it back by coming out with something as good. If BB 10 had launched a year and a half ago or even a year ago RIM could have transitioned over and continued on. Companies have opened up and allowed the other devices in and that will be the reality going forward.

Everyone here is excited about BB10 but really it is a catch up product. It does not bring anything new to the table and that will make getting those former users back tough.
    Agree with you a hundred percent. I want Rim to succeed, i might eventually come back to using a bb from switching to an android this past summer. But lets get real here Rim dropped the ball big time and are in deep sh!t. They need a solid reception by the consumer to have them rebound big time. Here's hoping they just do that.

Consumer market is what will save them not their corporate market as we hear day in day out companies dropping them for ios or both ios and android in the byod trend. Hope bb10 is truly compelling and has something revolutionary not yet shown. As of now nothing more then catch up and leveling playing field.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    11-30-12 11:22 PM
    They may not have market data but I don't think many would agree with the statement. I mean seriously, I have seen quite a few Bold 9900's at my job (Home Depot) but that mainly from business men. When talking bout the average consumer, I mostly see curves...and not even a lot of them because we all know RIM is almost irrelevant in the US. Places where the are selling a lot of BB's usually can't afford the higher prices of a Bold. Plus they aren't making money on the hardware side anymore. Hate to say it but id agree there a way more low cost BB's out there than high end

Hopefully BB10 can bring them back to the ASP's the used to enjoy
    Thank you, someone looking at thinks realistically. I live in Canada, i see tones of bolds and torches, but see a large number of curves especially with teens. In emerging markets like Asia and Africa, where phones and plans are ridiculously expansive people get curves and the like because of low cost. So yeah I dont need market data. That is why rim will release a bb10 curve model by end of 1213 guaranteed, they would be nuts not to. I can see the l and n moving reasonably well in England, north america, and Europe, not Africa or Asia as they will be too much money.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    11-30-12 11:30 PM
    I would not be too quick to say that Blackberry is better at the moment...Android still leads far and away on the app front. But I think, in terms of everything else, BB10 is as good as it goes I think.
    11-30-12 11:36 PM
    People, emerging markets may have lower purchasing power than developed ones (US, UK, Can, etc) but not that low :-)

I'm living in Indonesia and many of my friends are using 9900, iPhone 4S and even GS III (unlocked since contract system is very uncommon here). The only reason I didn't buy 9900 was because of the poor battery. I'm not talking about the rich ones, I'm talking about the middle-class.

My point is RIM could make loads of money selling their premium BB10 phone in emerging markets, provided that it well worth the money. While it's ok a year ago (when 9900 was launched), people are getting tired of paying premium price for BBM.
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    12-01-12 12:00 AM
    Trying to directly compare BB10 to WebOS will be tough.

BB10 should launch with far better carrier support. Compare this to Palm which lost hundreds of millions of dollars when Verizon refused to accept carrier locked Palm Pre phones. Palm was then forced to settle on the smallest carrier, Sprint, which essentially killed any chance for success in the highly lucrative American market.
    12-01-12 05:27 AM
    People, emerging markets may have lower purchasing power than developed ones (US, UK, Can, etc) but not that low :-)

I'm living in Indonesia and many of my friends are using 9900, iPhone 4S and even GS III (unlocked since contract system is very uncommon here). The only reason I didn't buy 9900 was because of the poor battery. I'm not talking about the rich ones, I'm talking about the middle-class.

My point is RIM could make loads of money selling their premium BB10 phone in emerging markets, provided that it well worth the money. While it's ok a year ago (when 9900 was launched), people are getting tired of paying premium price for BBM.
    I'm curious. . .in your opinion, do you feel that more people will start picking up higher end phones in emerging markets as time progresses (the same way it went down in western markets?) Do you think the contract system will become more common with time? I think RIM is in a good potion in terms of emerging markets but if these markets don't start getting more "mature" soon then it won't help RIM at all (cheap low end android devices aren't helping either. . .lol)
    12-01-12 10:03 AM
    IMO, yes I do. Actually, the problem with emerging markets (I'm speaking of my own country here), is not the price but the functionality. For example, we don't have access to affordable high-speed broadband nor reliable 3G connection asid

I'm curious. . .in your opinion, do you feel that more people will start picking up higher end phones in emerging markets as time progresses (the same way it went down in western markets?) Do you think the contract system will become more common with time? I think RIM is in a good potion in terms of emerging markets but if these markets don't start getting more "mature" soon then it won't help RIM at all (cheap low end android devices aren't helping either. . .lol)
    12-02-12 08:50 AM
    IMO, yes I do. Actually, the problem with emerging markets (I'm speaking of my own country here), is not the price but the functionality. For example, we don't have access to affordable high-speed broadband nor reliable 3G connection asid
    I agree. . .Here's hoping RIM is in a more strategic position than we know in these markets. . .cuz quite frankly their strategy in emerging markets makes little sense apart from this. . .
    12-02-12 10:14 AM
    On Friday i picked up the nexus 4 and updated it to 4.2 and have played with it all weekend, I also have the Dev Alpha . I will say from my personal option that BlackBerry10 is a lot better then android.
    I did a few comparisons between the two. The Dev Alpha A beat the nexus 4 in loading the full crackberry site by 2 seconds. The UI has a lag on the nexus 4, the Dev Alpha does also but not as bad (and it is still in beta and the nexus is not)
    12-02-12 09:31 PM
60 123