I cannot (or maybe I should say will not) bring myself to accept the business ethics of Apple. I have in the past attended several meetings at board level with this company and they have all focused around the same ethos.

"We are Apple, we are the best in the world and if you wish to deal with us, you will comply with our requirements and wishes or deal with an inferior company".

Having said that I am within days of upgrading my mobile and for the first time in eight years I have no idea what to do and the more research I do regarding BB10 and the Z10 the more confused I get.

My main mobile is the Torch 9860, my second mobile is a Storm II, I have six Playbooks, my wife has a Samsung SIII III and a playbook, my eldest son had a Samsung S II and a Galaxy Tab 10.1, my youngest son has a 9320 (his choice) and a Galaxy Tab 10.1.

After eagerly awaiting the advent of BB10 I bought a Z10 the day after they arrived in the O2 shop. After 4hrs with it and discovering all the faults I found with it based on my own personal use requirements, I gave it to my youngest son as all he needs is music and BBM and loves it.

I have tried all of the mobiles in my home and excluding the BB devices I have not been impressed with them. After many hours of discussion with my eldest son I agreed to upgrade his mobile to an iPhone 5 which arrived yesterday. As stated I do not like Apple but having both the 5 and Z10 side by side, (forgive me for my sins) I have to go for the 5. I now have no idea what to do when I upgrade.

Bear in mind that us poor end users in the UK are now having to agree to a two year contract and that is a long time to wait with the present shortcomings of the flagship of RIM, the Z10 for updates to to get the device to a point that the other manufacturers devices are already at.

Any advice (intelligent/constructive) would be helpful.
    02-20-13 12:17 PM
    Seems to me you have done what you can. You actually put devices in your hand and tried them out and made an informed decision. That is all you can do, today, and tomorrow when if comes time to upgrade. Eventually you will find what fits your needs. It might even be the Z10, Q10, or Aristo once Blackberry tweaks the OS and and gets some apps launched.
    sad_old_man and jdhooghe like this.
    02-20-13 12:28 PM
    What functions are lacking in Z10 that is in iPhone 5?
    I upgraded from the 9860 to the Z10, and at the moment, I don't think I can think of, apart from the number of apps.
    OR maybe it is
    1) the ability to navigate you into the ocean
    2) the ability to crash exchange servers
    3) so easily jailbreakable and hackable that one developer described that iOS has as many holes as cheese
    4) the fact that Apple are going to make lightsabers soon by the rate they are increasing the length of the phones
    5) the lack of social integration
    6) the lack of the best keyboard in mobile industry
    I hate to say this, but most people just don't know "how" to do something the BlackBerry way. They are used to the "Apple" way, and because they can't do it the "Apple" way on the Z10, they say the function isn't there
    trynacu2 likes this.
    02-20-13 12:31 PM
    Seems to me you have done what you can. You actually put devices in your hand and tried them out and made an informed decision. That is all you can do, today, and tomorrow when if comes time to upgrade. Eventually you will find what fits your needs. It might even be the Z10, Q10, or Aristo once Blackberry tweaks the OS and and gets some apps launched.
    If BB10 and obviously the Z10 as the first release was supposed to be the companies saviour, I didn't think I would have to wait for it to be tweaked in order to be acceptable. A bit like BMW launching a company saving new car but then after receiving complaints from customers, telling them that the functionality of the car will come in time when they tweak it.

I upgraded from the 9860 to the Z10, and at the moment, I don't think I can think of, apart from the number of apps.
    OR maybe it is
    3) so easily jailbreakable and hackable that one developer described that iOS has as many holes as cheese
    4) the fact that Apple are going to make lightsabers soon by the rate they are increasing the length of the phones
    I hate to say this, but most people just don't know "how" to do something the BlackBerry way. They are used to the "Apple" way, and because they can't do it the "Apple" way on the Z10, they say the function isn't there
    No comment only to say

"READ THE POST PROPERLY". As stated in my post if you care to read it instead of seeing the word Apple and going into a typical BB epileptic fit:

"I cannot (or maybe I should say will not) bring myself to accept the business ethics of Apple. I have in the past attended several meetings at board level with this company and they have all focused around the same ethos.

"We are Apple, we are the best in the world and if you wish to deal with us, you will comply with our requirements and wishes or deal with an inferior company".

Sometimes I wonder how the human race ever learned anything with people so unwilling to help!

P's your excluded from my rant geoffsdad
    jdhooghe and tk-093 like this.
    02-20-13 12:56 PM
    So you find BB10 maybe isn't for you. You don't like apple so what about android or WP8?
    02-20-13 01:05 PM
    OR maybe it is
    1) A lot of reviews deem the Blackberry maps to be even worse than Apple maps.
    2) It's a bug, and a very unfortunate one, and while I do agree that BB takes a lot more heat for their mistakes, let us not pretend that Blackberry-phones are without mistakes.
    3) Yeah, it was so easy that there was like - 10 months between this jailbreak and the last one? Can you link me to where a developer (preferable one who knows something about security) says that the iOS has as many holes as cheese? And I would like it if it was written in 2011 or later.
    4) They have increased the length *one* time, and the iPhone are still no where as big as competitors.
    5) Well there are some social integration while I will give you that it is not as great as the Blackberry.
    6) Have not tried it yet, but my 9900 autocorrect was world class compared to that on iOS so I believe that.

The reasons why I don't have a Z10 yet is this:
    1) No subscription to .ics calendars. Come on, a smartphone in 2013 should be able to do that out of the box.
    2) Only mails from the last 30 days in the hub. I know that there where some work around but that simply should not be needed.
    3) When getting a call you can reject it or take the call. Even iOS gives me opportunity to reject with a text.
    4) While I like the idea of the hub I can't see why there is not some sort of notification when I get a mail or a text, besides the LED. Don't get me wrong, I love the LED, but if I am doing something I have to interrupt what I am doing to check the hub while on iOS I get a little banner so I can see if it is something that requires my attention or not.
    5) Problems with the APN on some phones.

Those are all small things (aside the APN stuff) but when you add them, for me personally, it's enough that I am not completely sold on the Z10.
    And no, I am not an iOS-troll and other things just because I defended iOS in some cases, I just like a good debate and not "all iOS do is make exchange servers fail".
    There a plenty to love about Z10, and my complaints are all software-related so hopefully it gets better. After all, iOS 1.0 did not have MMS
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    02-20-13 01:14 PM
    OR maybe it is
    This post is probably THE most childish and ill-informed post I have ever seen on this forum and that is saying a lot.

1) Even if Apple maps isn't great, at least iPhone users have other NATIVE options that work great. How is your feature-limited Blackberry maps going for you?
    2) You change code and sometimes **** happens. What matters was the rate at which it was fixed. It was fixed and fixed quickly. How are all the Z10 and playbook bug updates going?
    3) All phones are jailbreakable if the want is there. Programmers cannot foresee every SINGLE tiniest break in the code. It took MONTHS for them to find an iOS 6 jailbreak and it has been getting more and more difficult with each version. I wouldn't be surprised if a hacker showed an interest in BB10 that they could find an exploit within a month. BB10 is the most half-baked OS on the market and compared to WP8 that is saying something. "Perfecting" for blackberry is BB10 apparently. I wonder what security means to them now.
    4) http://cdn.itproportal.com/photos/Bl...tfullwidth.jpg
    Stare at that picture, Blacksheep and tell me what phone is longer.
    5) How are the lack of a proper FB, twitter, instagram and pinterest apps going for you. If you had ever used an iPhone, you'd know that they implemented facebook and twitter. Lack of social integration, my ***.
    6) Have you tried Swype? Of course not because you're busy "bah"ing with the other blacksheep in your closed pen.

If BB10 and the build quality of the Z110 is the "Blackberry" way, I am glad Apple is sticking to the Apple way.

To the OP, I'm sorry but most of the features that made a Blackberry a Blackberry is no longer present in BB10. Use what phone works best for YOU. If that is the iPhone 5 then that is the best choice and if it is the Z10 then that is also the best choice.
    sad_old_man and lipper2000 like this.
    02-20-13 01:28 PM
    The answer to what? That's the burning question
    02-20-13 01:30 PM
    For you'all who can't follow in BB's footsteps, please just get an iPhone.
    Some of you guys proved my point exactly
    "When getting a call you can reject it or take the call. Even iOS gives me opportunity to reject with a text. "
    X_X! SWIPE UP INSTEAD OF SWIPING DOWN WILL REJECT THE CALL!
    "While I like the idea of the hub I can't see why there is not some sort of notification when I get a mail or a text, besides the LED. Don't get me wrong, I love the LED, but if I am doing something I have to interrupt what I am doing to check the hub while on iOS I get a little banner so I can see if it is something that requires my attention or not. "
    X_X! IS ONE SWIPE OF A FINGER TOO DIFFICULT FOR YOU? iOS is written to be ID*IOT PROOF. IF you want to be the IDIOTS Apple is coding for, be my guest.

AND TO THE OP WHO CLEARLY CAN'T READ
    "What functions are lacking in Z10 that is in iPhone 5? "
    Answer that one simple question, the first in the paragraph!
    Then start talking ****
    02-20-13 01:51 PM
    This post is probably THE most childish and ill-informed post I have ever seen on this forum and that is saying a lot.

1) Even if Apple maps isn't great, at least iPhone users have other NATIVE options that work great. How is your feature-limited Blackberry maps going for you?
    2) You change code and sometimes **** happens. What matters was the rate at which it was fixed. It was fixed and fixed quickly. How are all the Z10 and playbook bug updates going?
    3) All phones are jailbreakable if the want is there. Programmers cannot foresee every SINGLE tiniest break in the code. It took MONTHS for them to find an iOS 6 jailbreak and it has been getting more and more difficult with each version. I wouldn't be surprised if a hacker showed an interest in BB10 that they could find an exploit within a month. BB10 is the most half-baked OS on the market and compared to WP8 that is saying something. "Perfecting" for blackberry is BB10 apparently. I wonder what security means to them now.
    4) http://cdn.itproportal.com/photos/Bl...tfullwidth.jpg
    Stare at that picture, Blacksheep and tell me what phone is longer.
    5) How are the lack of a proper FB, twitter, instagram and pinterest apps going for you. If you had ever used an iPhone, you'd know that they implemented facebook and twitter. Lack of social integration, my ***.
    6) Have you tried Swype? Of course not because you're busy "bah"ing with the other blacksheep in your closed pen.

If BB10 and the build quality of the Z110 is the "Blackberry" way, I am glad Apple is sticking to the Apple way.

To the OP, I'm sorry but most of the features that made a Blackberry a Blackberry is no longer present in BB10. Use what phone works best for YOU. If that is the iPhone 5 then that is the best choice and if it is the Z10 then that is also the best choice.
    Your insight and simplicity of providing a solution impresses me. Non biased, intellectual, and to the point. You obviously don't work for RIM and you are correct. The choice is totally mine and can only be made by me. I would though have enjoyed feeling the same experience as I did the day I received my first BB phone after being a Nokia clone since 1994 (forgive me, I was employed by them). I suppose you could say I believed all the hype behind the coming of the saviour, BB10. The true irony is that the hype I succumbed to came from these hallowed CB forums and not from BB.

Ah well I suppose it's back to a couple of tin cans connected by string, oh sorry that's two Z10s connecting.

Thank god there's brandy!
    sok2507 likes this.
    02-20-13 02:09 PM
    I use the Torch 9850 along with a bridged playbook for my business and fun. I'm not sure as was asked above what you are looking for that you can't do. I've always found the different phones all do the same thing differently in a way and it is usually just a personal choice what fits you. I do think the Z10 is a bit special and I can't get one until fall (contracts and all), but I have kept up on all the stuff and it looks great. Bugs and little updates come on everything. It seems BB responds to customers as good as anybody in that regard. I'm glad when they do because things are getting better. Guess I'm a glass is half full guy but I think BB understands what biz people want and need. Good secure communication is job 1. Everything else is just fun. I think the Z10 will be fine for that.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-20-13 02:32 PM
    Ah well I suppose it's back to a couple of tin cans connected by string, oh sorry that's two Z10s connecting.
    If this is what you think of the Z10, then it's obviously not the phone for you, and you should look elsewhere.
    02-20-13 02:34 PM
    I use the Torch 9850 along with a bridged playbook for my business and fun. I'm not sure as was asked above what you are looking for that you can't do. I've always found the different phones all do the same thing differently in a way and it is usually just a personal choice what fits you. I do think the Z10 is a bit special and I can't get one until fall (contracts and all), but I have kept up on all the stuff and it looks great. Bugs and little updates come on everything. It seems BB responds to customers as good as anybody in that regard. I'm glad when they do because things are getting better. Guess I'm a glass is half full guy but I think BB understands what biz people want and need. Good secure communication is job 1. Everything else is just fun. I think the Z10 will be fine for that.
    I am also at the moment connecting to a pb with a 9860. Works perfectly and I love it. Imagine my surprise then when I purchased, yes I was stupid enough to buy one, a Z10 to find out that I had lost most of the bridge functions between phone and pb. Also I had to increase my data plan dramatically because the Z10 no longer compresses data downloaded by using BIS. My wife has a Samsung SIII and connects her pb through that. Suddenly I find myself in the same situation. No bridge connection, having to connect to the web by turning the phone into a mobile hotspot. Lost receive/send text ability through bridge etc etc etc.

Anyway what kind of brandy do you like?
    02-20-13 02:52 PM
    I love how the person firing offensive comments has only ever posted 12 times...
    02-20-13 03:03 PM
    My head hurts!
    02-20-13 03:12 PM
    Suddenly I find myself in the same situation. No bridge connection, having to connect to the web by turning the phone into a mobile hotspot. Lost receive/send text ability through bridge etc etc etc.

I'm with you on this. The bridge feature is huge for me as well which also made me ALOT more patient to upgrade my phone to the Z10. However, I am cautiously optimistic based on statements and comments out there that this will be corrected and the Playbook will be updated to 10 and/or some solution will be forthcoming on that. Honestly, I love the whole concept of the Galaxy Note and I would bet someday maybe there will be a BB like that which will get me to one device, but with the security of a BB. Not trying to start a rumor here by any means but I would like that.

No brandy for me. Makers Mark.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-20-13 03:19 PM
    I'm with you on this. The bridge feature is huge for me as well which also made me ALOT more patient to upgrade my phone to the Z10. However, I am cautiously optimistic based on statements and comments out there that this will be corrected and the Playbook will be updated to 10 and/or some solution will be forthcoming on that. Honestly, I love the whole concept of the Galaxy Note and I would bet someday maybe there will be a BB like that which will get me to one device, but with the security of a BB. Not trying to start a rumor here by any means but I would like that.

No brandy for me. Makers Mark.
    Mmmmmmmm I see you are going to be difficult. Try Woodford Reserve Seasoned Oak Finish. I bought it because I liked the bottle.
    02-20-13 03:29 PM
    I am also at the moment connecting to a pb with a 9860. Works perfectly and I love it. Imagine my surprise then when I purchased, yes I was stupid enough to buy one, a Z10 to find out that I had lost most of the bridge functions between phone and pb. Also I had to increase my data plan dramatically because the Z10 no longer compresses data downloaded by using BIS. My wife has a Samsung SIII and connects her pb through that. Suddenly I find myself in the same situation. No bridge connection, having to connect to the web by turning the phone into a mobile hotspot. Lost receive/send text ability through bridge etc etc etc.

So how much were you using? Data not brandy.
    02-20-13 03:54 PM
    So how much were you using? Data not brandy.
    With which combination, the torch>pb or the z10> pb setup?
    02-20-13 04:10 PM
    With which combination, the torch>pb or the z10> pb setup?
    Z10
    02-20-13 04:10 PM
    Z10
    Data plan with o2 UK was the Standard Blackberry 500Mb data plan. Two years of usage averaging 5hrs per day Internet usage + emails etc.

Torch combination, never been a problem.
    Z10 combination, received a warning within the first day from o2 that I had exceeded my data allowance. Data plan increased to 1Gb. Warned after further 36hrs that data plan had been exceeded. Data plan was then not increased and Z10 given to my youngest son.
    02-20-13 04:21 PM
    With my 9850 and pb I average almost 2gb a month. That is an average of 5 hours a day using bridge for mostly crackberry, email some bbm maybe some chatting and plain surfing.
    02-20-13 05:30 PM

LOL I read your posts and leave them be, but this time I gotta say, "***** PLEASE, your stuff don't make sense sometimes."

A jailbreak for ios6 took days if not hours if not minutes. It was practically available instantly after ios6 was ready. So your number 3 is wrong.

And your number 6 just doesn't make sense. That's all I'm gonna say about that

Cheers!
    02-20-13 06:44 PM
    LOL I read your posts and leave them be, but this time I gotta say, "***** PLEASE, your stuff don't make sense sometimes."

A jailbreak for ios6 took days if not hours if not minutes. It was practically available instantly after ios6 was ready. So your number 3 is wrong.

And your number 6 just doesn't make sense. That's all I'm gonna say about that

Cheers!
    I just love that Avatar!
    02-21-13 06:55 AM
    "A jailbreak for ios6 took days if not hours if not minutes. It was practically available instantly after ios6 was ready. So your number 3 is wrong."
    I love how you brought that up. A few ignorant fools were bashing my post earlier how iOS has as many holes as cheese......
    They honestly had no clue what they were talking about. A jailbreaker (I won't say of what) told me that himself. And these people come around thinking they are smarter and make ignorant statements. iOS 6 JB was there from the start...... It's just they had to make the JB IDIOTPROOF so people, like the fools who were ignorantly bashing, can figure out how to actually use it...
    02-21-13 10:40 AM
31 12