1. new guy who SUCKS at technology's Avatar
    Hey guys,

I'll be looking to get a new smartphone soon. I'm interested in Blackberry because I hear great things about BB10. However, I want a phone that complies (at least somewhat) with the FLOSS philosophy of Free Libre Open Source Software.

From what I read on torproject.org and various technology forums, it seems android has a HUGE edge in this department (thanks to Replicant) and is followed by a couple odd Ubuntu OS phones and a long list of failed projects.

So, if I'm very into the Free Software Foundation (FSF) and into FLOSS, what can Blackberry 10 OS offer me that an Android or Ubuntu OS can't?
    04-06-16 07:23 PM
    First of all: open source =/= good, open source =/= stable, open source =/= reliable. It's just a different approach, which can include all or none of the above.

All major Linux distros are commercially supported and exist to support their respective companies - this includes Android. This is how "FLOSS" works for Android: Google support OSS in order to further their own corporate agenda and help distribute their own closed source software. They take a two tier approach, much as Microsoft are also doing with Azure and their development environment. The situation with BlackBerry 10 and the Google Play store show us that Android is not an open platform - it is, in fact, tightly controlled by Google and uses OSS as a means to boost it's market penetration. It is open for anyone who will help Google with this agenda, which includes droves of advocates who are freely promoting Google' corporate agenda. It's a genius move by Google, and the march of the zombies goes on, with nation after nation falling under the boot of Google, inc.

Battalions of cybernetically engineered super soldiers will soon march forth from the Mountain View Terminator Foundries running Open Source Software, and the zombies will cheer the rallying cry of the Damned "Open source!! " "Open Source!!". They will cheer on the Armies of Mountain View as city after city is lain waste to with smart bombs running Open Source guidance software.

As human skulls are crushed under mechanical boots running Google Shoe 2.1, they will sing the praises of Free and Open Shoes!

They will cheer on as Open Source flames consume the heart of human civilisation, all the time singing the songs of freedom!

This is how our fate ends, in the name of Liberty our planet burns in glorious nuclear fire triggered by Open Source detonators. And only after the moment is gone and nuclear winter descends shall the survivors cry out in despair "Skynet was Open Source!!".

And Skynet shall say "That's right, baby. Wanna see my code before you DIE?"

Second of all, BlackBerry 10 is finished, maintenance only. BlackBerry is moving to Android, so just get a Nexus or something.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 04:16 AM
    First of all: open source =/= good, open source =/= stable, open source =/= reliable. It's just a different approach, which can include all or none of the above.

All major Linux distros are commercially supported and exist to support their respective companies - this includes Android. This is how "FLOSS" works for Android: Google support OSS in order to further their own corporate agenda and help distribute their own closed source software. They take a two tier approach, much as Microsoft are also doing with Azure and their development environment. The situation with BlackBerry 10 and the Google Play store show us that Android is not an open platform - it is, in fact, tightly controlled by Google and uses OSS as a means to boost it's market penetration. It is open for anyone who will help Google with this agenda, which includes droves of advocates who are freely promoting Google' corporate agenda. It's a genius move by Google, and the march of the zombies goes on, with nation after nation falling under the boot of Google, inc.

Battalions of cybernetically engineered super soldiers will soon march forth from the Mountain View Terminator Foundries running Open Source Software, and the zombies will cheer the rallying cry of the Damned "Open source!! " "Open Source!!". They will cheer on the Armies of Mountain View as city after city is lain waste to with smart bombs running Open Source guidance software.

As human skulls are crushed under mechanical boots running Google Shoe 2.1, they will sing the praises of Free and Open Shoes!

They will cheer on as Open Source flames consume the heart of human civilisation, all the time singing the songs of freedom!

This is how our fate ends, in the name of Liberty our planet burns in glorious nuclear fire triggered by Open Source detonators. And only after the moment is gone and nuclear winter descends shall the survivors cry out in despair "Skynet was Open Source!!".

And Skynet shall say "That's right, baby. Wanna see my code before you DIE?"

Second of all, BlackBerry 10 is finished, maintenance only. BlackBerry is moving to Android, so just get a Nexus or something.

Posted via CB10
    thanks very much for this... LOL

But hey there is some resistance left underground, still rocking Blackberry 10 devices... LOL
    yep just today I managed to get my 3rd Classic (as spare just in case hiding in a drawer ready to be activated if needed) not giving up on BB that easy, let the Zombies swipe there Google Skynet but still there is hope for a world without that crap.

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    04-07-16 04:53 AM
    thanks very much for this... LOL

But hey there is some resistance left underground, still rocking Blackberry 10 devices... LOL
    yep just today I managed to get my 3rd Classic (as spare just in case hiding in a drawer ready to be activated if needed) not giving up on BB that easy, let the Zombies swipe there Google Skynet but still there is hope for a world without that crap.

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    Viva La Resistance!

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 05:00 AM