Looking for texting app like textnow so that I can use my Z3 without SIM card on WiFi like iPod and text other people's telephone directly..
    03-13-17 02:35 PM
    So basically this means one more reason to accept the death of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-17 07:49 PM
    I'm on the O2 network in the UK and I use their Tu Go app. It does wifi calling and texts and does not need to be on the same handset as the O2 sim that it is associated with. Does your network support wifi calling?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-17 08:28 PM
    Try DISA on Amazon app store, it does Facebook messenger, WhatsApp, telegram and SMS messaging.....Not sure if it'll work independently of your sim though - worth a try though...
    03-14-17 09:47 AM
    So basically this means one more reason to accept the death of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Does Textnow not work?

Fongo is a good option if you're in Canada. Unfortunately texting isn't free but the packages are very reasonable.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-17 06:29 AM
    Does Textnow not work?

Fongo is a good option if you're in Canada. Unfortunately texting isn't free but the packages are very reasonable.

Posted via CB10
    Textnow is not available in BBW...

Posted via CB10
    03-15-17 06:37 PM
    Looking for texting app like textnow so that I can use my Z3 without SIM card on WiFi like iPod and text other people's telephone directly..
    Have you heard of BBM?

Posted via CB10
    03-15-17 07:38 PM
    Have you heard of BBM?

Posted via CB10
    Problem is no one uses it, except for a few BlackBerry fans

Posted via CB10
    ioan_calin likes this.
    03-15-17 08:24 PM
    Have you heard of BBM?

Posted via CB10
    Like me asking for good alternative for an SUV to make a trip across the US and you offer me a horse...
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-15-17 08:33 PM
    Like me asking for good alternative for an SUV to make a trip across the US and you offer me a horse...
    I think your perception is skewed. It does work well enough minus the cross platform inadequacies although there have recently been updates to address these issues. What features are you missing exactly? I do enjoy being able to edit or retract a msg. Is this a feature you have on your preferred app?

[QUOTE=Powdah;12805362]Problem is no one uses it, except for a few BlackBerry fans

Yes but it works well enough. Many of my androider friends do use it with enthusiasm. What are the needs you have that it does not fulfill?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 03-16-17 at 03:30 AM.
    03-16-17 02:58 AM
    Have you heard of BBM?

Posted via CB10
    OP looking for sms app , can send sms over wifi ...different from bbm
    03-16-17 03:45 AM
    OP looking for sms app , can send sms over wifi ...different from bbm
    Interesting. Didn't know that was a thing lol. Cool! I will be following this thread with interest.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-17 04:35 AM
    Interesting. Didn't know that was a thing lol. Cool! I will be following this thread with interest.

Posted via CB10
    With Textnow or any of it's other Android competitors, I have a second, anonymous line, on my PRIV. It's not just for texting SMS. I also have talk capabilities as well. Like having a dual sim phone. It's very useful for doing business on ebay, amazon or craigslist with people I don't know.

Another use, is making any ipad/ipod or android device with no sim, into a phone. Before my daughters got their first iPhones, they had the app on their ipods and on wifi, had "phones" for texting and talking with mom and dad(us). I use my ipad like a giant iPhone the same way.

I side loaded the app on all my original BB10 devices via Amazon store way back. I've successfully used on the Z10, Z20(Leap), Z30, Q10, Q20(Classic), Q30(Passport) and of course, on my PRIV, straight from Google store.

I used phone.com, a pay service provider back on my old pre-BB10 phones the same way. I've been with BlackBerry since the pager email (857/957?) days.

All my BB10 devices have been retired and put away in my old technology closet. Recently I bought a Z3 and Q5 to complete my BB10 collection. I use both of these devices on wifi, sim free, on CB10. That's it, no other use then for crackberry. Just thought it would be fun to use my Z3 and Q5 as phone and SMS device on wifi too.

Unfortunately, the Z3 and Q5 have severe memory limitations so there is no Amazon solution. Additionally, the android lag with Textnow, had become pretty bad causing dropped calls. This was biggest reason for moving to PRIV and future BlackBerry android devices for me. That's why I've been looking for a BBW solution as even the ported apps seem to operate better than Amazon store versions. Obviously, I love BlackBerry devices, and Crackberry site.

I appreciate the helpful suggestions and if anyone can find a BBW solution.

Thanks again to all my Crackberry friends.

Posted via CB10
    Uzi and mh1983 like this.
    03-16-17 07:39 AM
    Thanks for explaining further. Didn't realize you already tested the Android options on BB10 and didn't quite get that from your OP.

Will keep an eye out for a BB10 option, but I believe there are only a few native SIP clients that do calling and not SMS. (SIP.fm, for example).

Too bad Fongo's not an option; it's an Android port, but it's lightweight (even supports Gingerbread 2.3) and works very nicely on BB10.

Good luck!
    03-16-17 08:03 AM
    OP, TextNow and the competitors you alluded to aren't in BBW but you can install the TextNow apk directly and skip the Amazon requirement. I've provided the apk or you can find it through trusted repositories online. Although it won't remedy the voice delay, you'll still have the make/receive call function, voicemail, SMS, etc.. I use SideLine, a Pinger variant, for the same reasons you mentioned in your #13 post.

If you choose to install directly just make certain you've allowed the install of apps from other sources in your settings App Manager.
    03-16-17 10:50 AM