I knew that, but thought the BB VKB was independent of SwiftKey.
    It pretty much is, although they probably have to pay some nominal amount for patent use.
    03-26-19 11:42 AM
    So what apps would you run with this runtime?
    I successfully run several on bb10 as it stands the latest available edition as far as I recall...

Firefox (to browse what native will not)
    IPCamView (for security camera locations)
    Banking (several different US and abroad)
    Honeywell (alarm system, thermostat)
    IRisco (alarm system)
    FindMyPhone (web page, app not)
    Paypal (web page, app not)
    CCleaner (SDMaid not working anymore)
    Netflix & Xfinity (seems to work)
    PhonePower SIP Client (VOIP calls without SIM)
    Ebay and Amazon
    MSWord
    Samsung and Brother WiFi Printing
    TubeMate (older version)
    VPNUnlimited (squirrels sometimes)
    Fing
    WiFiAnalyzer

I run into many that don't want to work and find a web presence or switch to another app mostly with success.

I have added a QI Receiver to charge wirelessly with success, quite slowly left on stand overnight. It lives under a StilGut case.

It is possible for me, with patience with the slow processor, to use the Passport with bb10 OS as a daily driver.

I don't use it often having a Priv (broken usbC but wordlessly charges) and now a KEYᵒⁿᵉ as daily driver.

The Passport remains a joy to behold.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-26-19 12:53 PM
    I successfully run several on bb10 as it stands the latest available edition as far as I recall...

Firefox (to browse what native will not)
    IPCamView (for security camera locations)
    Banking (several different US and abroad)
    Honeywell (alarm system, thermostat)
    IRisco (alarm system)
    FindMyPhone (web page, app not)
    Paypal (web page, app not)
    CCleaner (SDMaid not working anymore)
    Netflix & Xfinity (seems to work)
    PhonePower SIP Client (VOIP calls without SIM)
    Ebay and Amazon
    MSWord
    Samsung and Brother WiFi Printing
    TubeMate (older version)
    VPNUnlimited (squirrels sometimes)
    Fing
    WiFiAnalyzer

I run into many that don't want to work and find a web presence or switch to another app mostly with success.

I have added a QI Receiver to charge wirelessly with success, quite slowly left on stand overnight. It lives under a StilGut case.

It is possible for me, with patience with the slow processor, to use the Passport with bb10 OS as a daily driver.

I don't use it often having a Priv (broken usbC but wordlessly charges) and now a KEYᵒⁿᵉ as daily driver.

The Passport remains a joy to behold.
    He meant what BB10 apps would you need to run after moving to Android with a BB10 Runtime?
    03-26-19 12:59 PM
    Is anyone here who has android Rom from experimental Passport device?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-19 01:00 PM
    Is anyone here who has android Rom from experimental Passport device?

Posted via CB10
    No.
    03-26-19 01:02 PM
    He meant what BB10 apps would you need to run after moving to Android with a BB10 Runtime?
    Myself, none. Many have posted missing some such as Travel. Others miss the File Manager but MIXplorer is free on XDA and I believe it may work on Passport... didn't try.

I brought it up since, early on with AndroBerry (Passport) they could have "eased" the weaning process. For me, bb10 is a memory.

Something I do miss is the more complete trackpad features that emerged shortly after Passport came out. The ability to adapt the display size of most apps in ART was genius. For most of the swipe driven launcher features, they could have made a skin. I suppose most of the real talent had already moved on to fishing jobs in Hudson Bay.
    03-26-19 01:07 PM
    Myself, none.
    I kinda guessed.
    03-26-19 01:52 PM
    Myself, none. Many have posted missing some such as Travel. Others miss the File Manager but MIXplorer is free on XDA and I believe it may work on Passport... didn't try.

I brought it up since, early on with AndroBerry (Passport) they could have "eased" the weaning process. For me, bb10 is a memory.

Something I do miss is the more complete trackpad features that emerged shortly after Passport came out. The ability to adapt the display size of most apps in ART was genius. For most of the swipe driven launcher features, they could have made a skin. I suppose most of the real talent had already moved on to fishing jobs in Hudson Bay.
    Yes, BlackBerry could have done MUCH, MUCH more than they did to make Android more "BlackBerry".... but all without using a BB10 Runtime. I expect as easy as it is to convert APKs to BARs the reverse is probable true too.

Travel was another licensed product that I expect the license would not cover being used on the Android platform. File Manager, the Android world is full of them. Yes it would be nice if BlackBerry had done one, but COST was a big factor back in 2015. They did what the budget allowed, and I don't thing sales have allowed much more development to be implemented... let TCL take care of a File Manager. I expect most of the BlackBerry suite was already done, as they had already been planning the three BlackBerry Experience Suites (for Android, iOS and Windows).

But was the goal really to transition BB10 users, or just to give BlackBerry an Android option that anyone might want?
    03-27-19 07:28 AM
    ...what BB10 apps would you need to run after moving to Android with a BB10 Runtime?
    Not really a list of "...BB10 apps that would need to run with a BB10 runtime on Android...", but here are some BB10 features that I don't think are yet nicely packaged well enough as part of Android BlackBerry, or as part of otherwise third party Android apps, for which I would love it if they could be run on Android exactly as they had on BB10:

- bedtime mode;
    - picture password;
    - keyboard;
    - hub (although integration of lots of third party apps under BB10 was missing);
    - integrated samba/smb file sharing;
    - lock screen icons/notifications;
    - some of the integrated gestures (although most I think can now be relatively well enough achieved via third party Android apps);

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    03-27-19 07:50 AM
    Not really a list of "...BB10 apps that would need to run with a BB10 runtime on Android...", but here are some BB10 features that I don't think are yet nicely packaged well enough as part of Android BlackBerry, or as part of otherwise third party Android apps, for which I would love it if they could be run on Android exactly as they had on BB10:

- bedtime mode;
    - picture password;
    - keyboard;
    - hub (although integration of lots of third party apps under BB10 was missing);
    - some of the integrated gestures (although most I think can now be relatively well enough achieved via third party Android apps);

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    I have to say, my S9 covers a few of those. Samsung has a routines app and I can set Do Not Disturb for different hours based on the day of the week. DND itself can be set the way I used to set bedside mode - no notifications except from specific contacts, and the alarm itself.

I can get lock screen notifications thanks to the Glimpse app (turns on the screen momentarily when a new email comes in). And I see email icons on the Always on Display that, with the new One UI that came with the Pie update, will show envelopes in the color that I set each account for - green for work, blue for home (and matching LED color, too).

Also, I'm using the BlackBerry vkb on the S9 so it feels like my old Z10, with flick-up words and all.
    03-27-19 09:20 AM
    Yes, <snip>
    But was the goal really to transition BB10 users, or just to give BlackBerry an Android option that anyone might want?
    Turns out they did neither. The identity of BlackBerry devices via their whole aura of usability had devolved into nothing at all but the PKB. Now even that falls into question as discussed above. Hub has become a crippled inbox.

HP Pre³ had a wonderful portrait PKB slider. Others now offer a landscape slider, not appealing to me.

I still pine for a Priv~ with modernizaion.
    03-27-19 09:23 AM

- bedtime mode;
    - picture password;
    - keyboard;

Posted via CB10 on Z10

What you want is a BB10 UI experience... and a runtime wouldn't get you that.

Most of what you want, could be achieved with Android... if BlackBerry wanted to invest more into the "experience", but the money just isn't there to support it. If things had gone will with the three licensee and each had sold millions of units. Who knows how much more would have come....
    03-27-19 09:28 AM
    What you want is a BB10 UI experience... and a runtime wouldn't get you that.....
    I agree. That's why I said what I did in my post.
    ...Most of what you want, could be achieved with Android...
    I agree, but it isn't there yet for my needs/desires, and certainly not yet in any sort of nice integrated package.
    ...if BlackBerry wanted to invest more into the "experience", but the money just isn't there to support it. If things had gone will with the three licensee and each had sold millions of units. Who knows how much more would have come....
    I agree.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Last edited by spARTacus; 03-27-19 at 04:17 PM.
    03-27-19 01:43 PM
    ...Samsung has a routines app and I can set Do Not Disturb...I can get lock screen notifications thanks to the Glimpse app... And I see email icons on the Always on Display that...PIE update...am using the BlackBerry vkb on the S9...
    Nothing I have seen works quite as well as the BB10 bedside mode (...plug it in, swipe down, choose the alarm you want from the list....done, and a bedside clock also....

Seems you have been able to cobble together some things to help get some of that BB10 experience you want, including maybe use of an unofficial apk for the keyboard.

All of that is nice and does indeed help try to achieve towards the BB10 experience.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    03-27-19 02:03 PM
    Nothing I have seen works quite as well as the BB10 bedside mode (...plug it in, swipe down, choose the alarm you want from the list....done, and a bedside clock also....
    I actually like how I can make DND with the always on display (blacked out totally with just a clock, and dims automatically in the dark) do what I want and automatically activate. Something you could do with bedside mode on BBOS, but was never ported over to BB10. I never cared for having to manually activate bedside mode.

Now, I do prefer the clock face of the BB10 clock over the options on the S9. There are lots of options, but none are exactly the same or at least close.
    03-27-19 05:30 PM

Seems you have been able to cobble together some things to help get some of that BB10 experience you want, including maybe use of an unofficial apk for the keyboard.

All of that is nice and does indeed help try to achieve towards the BB10 experience.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    I have a spare classic with a holster just to keep it in, with bedside mode the battery lasts for about a week or more if I leave it face down. If android had some the protocols and uri features like bb10's password manger, browser and smart tags I would probably use it more, hmm chrome is pretty nice though.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-19 03:41 PM
    I have a spare classic with a holster just to keep it in, with bedside mode the battery lasts for about a week or more if I leave it face down. If android had some the protocols and uri features like bb10's password manger, browser and smart tags I would probably use it more, hmm chrome is pretty nice though.

Posted via CB10
    Android has that and more; personally I haven't needed smart tags since I started using Tasker.
    03-28-19 04:50 PM
    Android has that and more; personally I haven't needed smart tags since I started using Tasker.
    They do have more, but I meant something very specific for javscript: uri and vendor. Well, I dont know of an Android web viewer that executes those uri's from a bookmark or saved entry.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-19 05:40 PM
    Travel was another licensed product that I expect the license would not cover being used on the Android platform.
    "BB Travel" was just a BB-branded front-end for the WorldMate travel service, and there were WorldMate apps available for iOS and Android and maybe even WinPhone at one time. But the entire WorldMate service was shut down a year ago, and they announced the shutdown at least a year before that, so no matter what was done, there would be no BB Travel today anyway.

But, yes, BB could not have offered it on Android as WorldMate already offered it and wouldn't have wanted someone else competing with them with their own service - the same reason why BB couldn't offer their SwiftKey-based VKB to non-BB-branded devices.
    03-29-19 01:34 PM
    That's not a problem, that is just how this works.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-19 10:37 PM
    AFAIK I wouldn't by it!
    If you said STH like a more advanced BB10 with/out an android runtimme(if it going to have it it must be updated which by AOH(not sure about name) it is impossible to have Google play / services)than I certainly buy it!

Send by PassPort Silver Edition
    04-03-19 10:47 AM
46 12