I've been thinking for a long time about what would help BlackBerry shore up the app gap. I. Not convinced relying on other platforms for these apps is the best for the long run. By developing in house, they'll be able to create a competitive advantage ove the other platforms.
    I'm going to list a few I think would be useful for BlackBerry and thier unique position as the pro device. The future is software and BlackBerry makes some good stuff, just not enough and not well enough integrated with itself.

First, pacemaker was a good move, now help them work out how to split the audio between blue tooth and headphones for a complete dj experience without the use of propriety hardware. A real dj system out of the the box.

Buy opera browser. It's frigging great. Take operas staff ti make the BlackBerry browser the best there is, period. The new browser is great already, but its not the the best and I don't think I'll see chrome for BlackBerry anytime soon. Opera is a great browser and would bring a lot of cross platform ideas, knowledge and experience to BlackBerry.

Usb otg. While not an app, it is required to make an actually usable portable computer and the killer apps can be made. Real world interface is the key to mobile computer adoption as we need to plug in a reciept printers or midi gear or whatever deva can think of.

Chris U had a great idea about PTT. And I totally agree, I think it should be baked in to BBM, but it would definitely be a killer feature. Good call Chris.

BlackBerry inventory and accounting. I think they could and should make a fully feature point of sale system. It would need a desktop server app(linux distro?) using bb10 devices as clients. With templates for restaurants or manufacturing, courier series, etc. They have all the hardware bits to make a connects system that would sell more devices than just to personal devices. This is scalability and would at toward a real pro device. To execute this correctly it would take the will of the company from bottom to top. An acquisition might be useful to get the ball rolling.

Ok, so you have qnx car, please BlackBerry, can I have a blue tooth odbii app for my bb10 device? This **** is ready written, just needs to be optimized for the bb10 devices. And a bit of work on the bt interface.

Please ever one, let's start. Repository for BlackBerry so to help them with ideas on how to make best mobile OS relevant.

Printing to paper directly from device. This is harder than it seems, took forever for ms and apple to get it right on a desktop, so I don't expect this soon, but please work on it.

I'd like to thank BlackBerry for all thier hard work and look forward to seeing what they can manage from here on out.

Share your ideas here. GO!

Zedten
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-09-13 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Edited inappropriate 'signature'.
    Ed Northcott, robkd and SantaBerry like this.
    07-09-13 04:14 PM
    USB OTG is coming.
    07-09-13 04:43 PM
    The POS system is just waiting to be done and it would be great if BlackBerry was the first to the plate.
    Think about it and it will become ear that this IS going to happen. Sooner or later. There is a screen for feedback. Networking. There is a camera that can be used for bar code reading. There is enough computer resources to operate such software. There is BlackBerry's security which would make it easier for customers to trust the system. There is the ability to offer a service that could bring in chronic revenue. It's portable. The fact that each employee could carry a device offers a whole business in analytics itself, and this can benefit all parties. Taking the concept deeper, scheduling and time keeping, and even invoicing could be integrated into one package.
    Creating this system is a wbe new value added business. This has two direct benefits. One, it brings in a new revenue stream. 2 it sells more devices.

Each piece of software is like a root for a plant. It adds stability to the plant so it can stand and brings nutrients to allow for growth. The better the software the larger the root and subsequently it's stronger and can move more nutrients.

If you're a good developer and think you could make this work, maybe let's say, screw BlackBerry, let's make this software our selves. I can't do it on my own but I'd like to maybe build an army of blackberry programmers around the world and maybe we could get stupid rich?
    Let me know if anyone would be interested. I've got some sick features thought out.

Zedtenbitches
    robkd likes this.
    07-10-13 01:14 AM
    Buy opera browser. It's frigging great. Take operas staff ti make the BlackBerry browser the best there is, period. The new browser is great already, but its not the the best and I don't think I'll see chrome for BlackBerry anytime soon. Opera is a great browser and would bring a lot of cross platform ideas, knowledge and experience to BlackBerry.
    That might have been, but Opera is moving towards the "let's re skin Chrome" approach with Opera 15 and following. Mobile is following suit. BlackBerry would probably have more experience with Web kit than Opera does, if the feature incompleteness of Opera 15 is any indication.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 02:14 AM
    USB OTG is coming.
    Wasn't that coming to the PlayBook months and months ago?

As for the POS game, that's a waste of time. Very few businesses can get away with a one size fits all application. The POS/inventory/service management software I used for my store was $400 and was written from the ground up for my industry. All of the generic POS applications were garbage.
    07-10-13 02:21 AM
    Wasn't that coming to the PlayBook months and months ago?

As for the POS game, that's a waste of time. Very few businesses can get away with a one size fits all application. The POS/inventory/service management software I used for my store was $400 and was written from the ground up for my industry. All of the generic POS applications were garbage.
    I also think this would be fairly expensive for a small business. I think of the restaurant shows I have seen where they get remodeled by Gordon Ramsay or Robert Irvine and often also get a POS. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to have to buy expensive BlackBerry devices for my staff. That being said, I could see FedEx or UPS drivers rocking a BlackBerry for something like this.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 06:55 AM
    Have toy ever bought apps system? They're expensive and usually very inflexible.

Zedtenbitches
    07-10-13 05:02 PM
    Let's try that again. Have you ever purchased a POS system. Because this is using devices already being made, once the software is made, we're dealing with economies of scale. Even a 600$ device kiosk per employee working at at a time, this could be still less expensive.
    Why compare rate software not written yet? I know POS software can be a pain, but I don't understand why folks seem to think that a problem experienced beforehand makes an idea undo able. It, in my opinion, is the pinnacle of opportunity.

Zedtenbitches
    07-10-13 05:08 PM
    As a personal trainer/strength and conditioning coach, I think a flexible POS system would be brilliant. Not just for myself, but I know a number of people who have struck off on their own, running small businesses, who would kill for something adaptable, mobile, and connected.

Much of the necessary functionality is already built into BB 10's operating system. A POS system wouldn't need to work from the ground up, but could be worked to tie in Blackberry's various functionalities into a cohesive whole -- and one that would be extra valuable due to the security that BB is famous for.

In addition, with companies like Square (and many followers now popping up) who allow credit card scanning through handhelds, small businesses like trainers, hairstylists, massage therapists, chiropractors, etc, would all benefit immensely from such software. The service industry in North America is huge, as is the number of self-employed individuals in those industries. The ability to schedule reoccurring appointments, automatically email clients appointment reminders and/or warnings when purchased appointments are about to run out, etc -- these are all possible with the Blackberry, and chiefly require coordination of existing apps. Tie it in with gmail and Quickbooks, and you've got a "must have" app.
    V22 likes this.
    07-26-13 12:45 PM
    I hear you Ed! Let's hope BlackBerry bites this and runs with it!

Zedtenbitches
    07-30-13 02:35 PM