Just two days ago I purchased my first BlackBerry in probably a decade, the Classic. My initial impressions are mixed. I am coming from Windows Phone/Mobile devices and I am baffled that on an enterprise focused device Microsoft services are either non-existent or poorly implemented. That said, the device itself is fantastic. The dimensions, weight, textures, and of course keyboard are all testaments to its great design. It is even pleasing to simply pick up and hold. The more time I dedicate to learning the OS the more I enjoy using it. However, after spending some time reading articles on this forum and elsewhere, I have little to no confidence that investing in BB OS is a good idea. Though not official, there is plenty of evidence that BB OS is going to be an unfortunate casualty of what is becoming a 100% consumer driven industry. I was perfectly happy with Windows Phone/Mobile and the future of that platform is far brighter than BB OS. Though I am falling in love with BlackBerry again, I feel that at any moment they are going to tie the knot with Android. The thought of continuing to use BlackBerry devices and being forced to use Android gives me shivers. If I am inevitably going to switch back to Windows Mobile once BB OS reaches EOL, why even bother using it now? The experience is likely to degrade over time. I am considering returning the Classic and taking a Lumia 950 home with me instead, though I am hoping someone here can convince me otherwise. Cheers.
    igor10000 likes this.
    12-04-15 06:48 AM
    Return the Classic... I think you have a understand now that you didn't have two days ago. BB10 is a great OS, but with no future at this point. Might be fine as is for years to come... or it might not be. Why take the chance at this point if you don't have too.
    nglfmark, jabia and paulbbp like this.
    12-04-15 07:40 AM
    Windows mobile future is as bleak as BB10. It's been in the news the last few weeks.
    You're jumping from one sinking ship to another.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 07:58 AM
    Windows mobile future is as bleak as BB10. It's been in the news the last few weeks.

Posted via CB10
    Even if Windows Mobile is a sinking ship as you claim (despite an entirely new OS, new flagship devices, new developer support, and a dedicated Nadella) at least I would not be starting from scratch as I am with BB OS. I want to stick with BlackBerry, I really do. But, if the company itself projects that it is more interested in becoming just another Google vendor; why should I support it? Also, I wouldn't be "jumping to" Windows Mobile as I already have three Lumias and a Band. The bottom-line is at least Microsoft is investing in Windows Mobile. I don't get the same feeling in regards to BlackBerry and BB OS.
    12-04-15 08:23 AM
    Whether BB10 is as EOL or not, it is a well thought out OS and can surely be said to be at or near its zenith of development. I don't the the same can be said of the windows OS. So, of BB10 suits your current needs then keep the Classic, which is a great phone, and get a windows phone next, when it will be further along in its development.

I wish the OP a long and happy life, so this probably isn't the last phone he will ever have.

Posted via CB 10 on my Passport
    12-04-15 08:53 AM
    Thanks for the responses. I am going to stop by an AT&T store this afternoon and put the Lumia 950 in my hands one more time. Who knows, I might end up reactivating my faithful Lumia 925.
    12-04-15 10:12 AM
    Just two days ago I purchased my first BlackBerry in probably a decade, the Classic. My initial impressions are mixed. I am coming from Windows Phone/Mobile devices and I am baffled that on an enterprise focused device Microsoft services are either non-existent or poorly implemented. That said, the device itself is fantastic. The dimensions, weight, textures, and of course keyboard are all testaments to its great design. It is even pleasing to simply pick up and hold. The more time I dedicate to learning the OS the more I enjoy using it. However, after spending some time reading articles on this forum and elsewhere, I have little to no confidence that investing in BB OS is a good idea. Though not official, there is plenty of evidence that BB OS is going to be an unfortunate casualty of what is becoming a 100% consumer driven industry. I was perfectly happy with Windows Phone/Mobile and the future of that platform is far brighter than BB OS. Though I am falling in love with BlackBerry again, I feel that at any moment they are going to tie the knot with Android. The thought of continuing to use BlackBerry devices and being forced to use Android gives me shivers. If I am inevitably going to switch back to Windows Mobile once BB OS reaches EOL, why even bother using it now? The experience is likely to degrade over time. I am considering returning the Classic and taking a Lumia 950 home with me instead, though I am hoping someone here can convince me otherwise. Cheers.
    For what it is worth, Clewly stated in tweet that BB10 is not dead and he does not understand where people got that idea. BlackBerry World now indicates its apps as being for Business/Enterprise although there are still plenty of other apps available; Amazon App is listed for Android and Entertainment apps; Play, for BlackBerry Android/Priv apps. On both the Inside BlackBerry and BlackBerry Developer blogs there is zero indication that BB10 is EOL, in fact, BB10 is still showcased (from a business perspective, mind you) on IBB and the Dev blog still shows support for BB10. Yeah, yeah, yeah, ART is not going to updated--which is further evidence of BB10 going for business/enterprise. They seem to be pushing for native development now.

So, based on everything (including what Chen has been saying, among others) it seems most likely that as of this point BB10 is shifting to become the business/enterprise OS with Android on BlackBerry for the masses. I think it is also clear that Chen eventually wants to manage only one OS but whether that is BB10, Android, or a hybrid of the two (or keeping both if financially viable), is unknown. All we know is that Chen is going to "...let the market decide".

So as long as you are cool with no native Instagram, SnapChat, likely Netflix, Uber and a few other big name apps ever coming to BB10 you should find that it is ultimately to your liking. It is still up in the air over whether or not Facebook or Twitter will be updated. I think they will be eventually but because of APIs and BB10 they both will likely always be crippled compared to the real deals.

Here is another way to think about it: some of us diehard BB10ers have considered switching to Windows Phone if/when BB10 is absolutely EOL--which is still likely to happen in a year or two (or not) depending on what route Chen decides to go. Some have stated they are committed to riding it out to its ultimate bitter end; and others to this day are still buying new BB10 handsets or considering buys in the face of all of this "BB10 is dead"/Priv hoopla. Sure, some staunchly believe that BB10 is now EOL or was even DOA at launch, but whatever; those users I mentioned should be indicative of just how awesome BB10 truly is and in the least should give you two years of enjoyment if that is worth it to you.

Once again, if you expect some sort of true consumer's experience with BB10 you will be sorely disappointed but there are some work arounds and 3rd Party apps to help ease the pain. If you accept BB10s limitations and your own needs do not fall to far outside of those limitations than you are most likely to find the BB10 experience to be second to none.

Posted via CB10
    Funny, a few years ago it was speculated that WinPhone could become the #1 mobile OS in the world. Never happened, of course, but considering their new partnership with Xioami and a billion Chinese, as well as the rumored Surface Phone (been rumored for years, current rumors indicate that under Nadella it might actually see the light of day), MSs fortunes in mobile are very likely to change to the positive. It is however not likely they will overtake Android or iOS but they do stand the chance to severely close the 3rd place gap.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    12-04-15 12:06 PM
    Microsoft services are very well integrated to bb10

Mail, contacts, calendar and tasks: setup outlook.com or office 365 with exchange active sync.

Donwload "connect to one drive" app from BlackBerry world and then you will have one drive integrated to file explorer.

I went with outlook.com and left gmail because the microsft services are far well more integrated in bb10.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 01:06 PM
    I decided to stick with the Classic. I am a sucker for hardware design and the Classic is the perfect handset in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    kertong likes this.
    12-04-15 03:10 PM
    Never mind I see you got the classic, good choice, enjoy!
    12-04-15 03:36 PM
    Windowsphone brings nothing but grief and anger to me..8,8.1, now 10..beta test to no end..
    Classic is a sane move, passport the best there is out there

Passport SE
    kertong likes this.
    12-04-15 04:01 PM
    I also use the full Microsoft suite calendar, contacts etc and has always worked fine on BB10.

Rocking the awesome Z30,Q10 and the super awesome passport.
    12-04-15 04:15 PM
    Microsoft services are very well integrated to bb10

Mail, contacts, calendar and tasks: setup outlook.com or office 365 with exchange active sync.

Donwload "connect to one drive" app from BlackBerry world and then you will have one drive integrated to file explorer.

I went with outlook.com and left gmail because the microsft services are far well more integrated in bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I left outlook and live mail quite a while ago. This year I decided to setup my outlook email on my BlackBerry Passport. I had not used it in quite a while. Still had my login details.
    I was pleasantly surprised how well integrated the outlook.com email was integrated in BBOS. Everything you said in your post works really well. If I had known that I would have continued using it. Slowly transitioning back to it as primary personal email, calendar, contacts and tasks.
    I have mine setup with server eas.outlook.com. It supports auto replies within organisation or out between specific times and dates.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 09:14 PM
    Firstly as far as believing anything BlackBerry says I just have one thing to say PlayBook and OS10. Now that we have that out of the way, for me the experience has been steadily degrading as my Z30 develops more and more bugs daily, I now have the delay issue as well. So for me this is my last BlackBerry as I didn't but it for the brand I bought it for the OS which has given me 2 years of relatively excellent service in these last few months I have weighed up the options and find myself leaning towards Windows Phone, and my wife has also stated that she is considering an iPhone, personally I hate the damp things but that's her problem, what I'm trying to illustrate for you is that you have 2 die hard blackberry fans that absolutely detest Android and BlackBerry has nothing to offer us anymore, we use our phones for a combination of work and private and the BlackBerry OS just doesn't make the cut anymore. The choice is yours but I'm done.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 01:51 PM
    Firstly as far as believing anything BlackBerry says I just have one thing to say PlayBook and OS10. Now that we have that out of the way, for me the experience has been steadily degrading as my Z30 develops more and more bugs daily, I now have the delay issue as well. So for me this is my last BlackBerry as I didn't but it for the brand I bought it for the OS which has given me 2 years of relatively excellent service in these last few months I have weighed up the options and find myself leaning towards Windows Phone, and my wife has also stated that she is considering an iPhone, personally I hate the damp things but that's her problem, what I'm trying to illustrate for you is that you have 2 die hard blackberry fans that absolutely detest Android and BlackBerry has nothing to offer us anymore, we use our phones for a combination of work and private and the BlackBerry OS just doesn't make the cut anymore. The choice is yours but I'm done.

Posted via CB10
    Iphone and android have an app for that. Unfortunately windows phone doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-15 03:37 PM
    Iphone and android have an app for that. Unfortunately windows phone doesn't.

Posted via CB10

I wanted to respond to this on my Classic, but since web pages dont scale properly I was unable to see the last several characters of each line. Had to grab my Lumia 925 to do so. Anyways, I'm curious, you obviously have something against Windows Phone / Mobile; what is it? Did you abandon it after a bad experience?
    12-05-15 10:03 PM
    First of all, BlackBerry 10 devices are still being sold new through carriers and BlackBerry itself.

What this means is that BlackBerry will support the OS for AT LEAST 2 years, which is the length of an average phone contract). If they dont, BlackBerry is going to get burned by the carriers, and risk future deals with them.

So no need to worry about the support for the next two years.

Please stop with the whole drama, people. BlackBerry 10 phones will still work, and will still be updated for the next couple years.

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    12-05-15 10:37 PM
    I wanted to respond to this on my Classic, but since web pages dont scale properly I was unable to see the last several characters of each line. Had to grab my Lumia 925 to do so.
    Uh, there is an app for that, too. It's called CB10.
    byex likes this.
    12-05-15 11:58 PM
    Uh, there is an app for that, too. It's called CB10.
    But I thought BB10 users didn't need apps. The browser rules!

*C5303
    eldricho likes this.
    12-06-15 12:04 AM
    it depends on your needs...

I have 4 classic, 1 in my hands and 3 unopened.

Why? I had several 9900 for 4 years and never felt it was outdated.

I don't need latest specs just good hardware with a nice software.

Why do people change so frequently mobile phones?

How many here still use Windows xp? Or old computers?

Just buy what you need, your classic will be ok in 2 years for sure.

Regards
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    12-06-15 05:20 AM
    I decided to stick with the Classic. I am a sucker for hardware design and the Classic is the perfect handset in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Enjoy your Classic mine has worked perfect for the year I had it not the highest specs but should do what you want it to for as long as need it there is a new Venice coming out next year that has my eye and could be the replacement for Classic however running Android by then maybe BB will have some bugs worked out of the os .
    12-06-15 06:53 AM
    My life is in OneNote and it is unusable on the Classic. Remember is not terrible and I could potentially use it if there is a way to access it via Blend. Does anyone know of any way to do so or otherwise work with Remember notes on a pc? Another alternative is Evernote of course but with 10 TB of free OneDrive storage I would rather not pay for Evernote if I did not absolutely need to.
    Last edited by DMTurner85; 12-06-15 at 09:01 AM.
    12-06-15 08:38 AM
    My life is in OneNote and it is unusable on the Classic. Remember is not terrible and I could potentially use it if there is a way to access it via Blend. Does anyone know of any way to do so or otherwise work with Remember notes on a pc? Another alternative is Evernote of course but with 10 TB of free OneDrive storage I would rather not pay for Evernote if I did not absolutely need to.
    I also use Onenote regularly; and it is working fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 11:07 AM
    I also use Onenote regularly; and it is working fine for me.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Performance is terrible and just getting in to take a quick note is slower than finding pen and paper. Highlighting text with the trackpad is about 2 to 3 seconds behind. And what is this badge notification that pops up in my Hub every few minutes? I thought it was just a tutorial but it never seems to go away.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-15 11:14 AM
    Alright.
    Serious derail here.

Thread closed to let you chill out, will reopen (eventually) after appropriate measures and cleanup.

Edit:
    Cleaned, reopened.
    Don't force my comeback.

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

[WARN]Personal Attacks or Insults to Members
    Constructive discussions, debates, and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If you are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic, you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.[/WARN]
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-07-15 at 05:44 PM.
    pkcable and BB-JAM215 like this.
    12-07-15 12:35 PM
51 123