Never said an updated bb10 device with AOSP upgraded to android 5, 6, 7,8 (9 or 10) had to have access to Google play. Amazon appstore is fine. 4.3 is what the android fans would like to see upgraded inside bb10, plus some more granular control of the android blob inside of bb10 is what i see.
    I was replying to your mentioning Windows having apps in Google Play.

As for updating BB10... it's not going to happen, doesn't matter if it were possible from a licensing point of view or not (I lean to the not). There is no money in it or for it. BB is trading under $5 a share now.... you think shareholder would like to hear how Chen's spending 10's of millions on an almost EOL product so a few users that bought a four or five year old device will be "happy"?
    10-08-19 10:36 AM
    Funny what's rogue for BlackBerry , isn't for Samsung...they're running phones with Tizen OS (yes I know its linux, it doesn't matter) and Google Android phones as well.
    It does matter. Tizen is not Android, nor ships with an Android Runtime.
    10-08-19 10:41 AM
    It does matter. Tizen is not Android, nor ships with an Android Runtime.
    Also, as far as I know, no Samsung device dual-boots to either Tizen or Android (which Google doesn't like either).
    10-08-19 10:44 AM
    Funny what's rogue for BlackBerry , isn't for Samsung...they're running phones with Tizen OS (yes I know its linux, it doesn't matter) and Google Android phones as well. Ironically the Samsung Tizen lineup is called the z-series (lol), and its not even like a license arrangement like BlackBerry's is. What is this rogue nonsense? In the business world your competitor can also be your supplier or partner in certain areas, this is nothing new....Google-Apple for example Google is both a supplier and competitor to Apple.
    I don't think Tizen ships with anything from AOSP, does it?

The rule is straightforward: you can ship a fork of AOSP (the BB10 Android runtime is just AOSP ported over QNX) OR you can ship a certified Android (e.g. BBAndroid). You can do one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Tizen is neither. It is not a fork of AOSP. So Tizen doesn't count in the above rule. Likewise, BB could make a new BB11 OS without any AOSP stuff in it. Google has no control over that, because it wouldn't use any of their assets.
    10-08-19 10:59 AM
    Likewise, BB could make a new BB11 OS without any AOSP stuff in it.
    But, to be perfectly clear, BB11 will not happen.
    10-08-19 11:58 AM
    But, to be perfectly clear, BB11 will not happen.
    Yes, of course not. That would be totally off-strategy.
    10-08-19 12:16 PM
    I don't think Tizen ships with anything from AOSP, does it?

The rule is straightforward: you can ship a fork of AOSP (the BB10 Android runtime is just AOSP ported over QNX) OR you can ship a certified Android (e.g. BBAndroid). You can do one or the other, but not both at the same time.

Tizen is neither. It is not a fork of AOSP. So Tizen doesn't count in the above rule. Likewise, BB could make a new BB11 OS without any AOSP stuff in it. Google has no control over that, because it wouldn't use any of their assets.
    Wait, you say there’s a BB11 shipping without AOSP so it only runs native apps???? It will dual boot with Tizen or webOS and new hardware only $199 factory unlocked ?????
    10-09-19 03:11 PM
    Wait, you say there’s a BB11 shipping without AOSP so it only runs native apps???? It will dual boot with Tizen or webOS and new hardware only $199 factory unlocked ?????
    I’ll start a kickstarter.

Or a gofundme?
    10-09-19 04:32 PM
    I’ll start a kickstarter.

Or a gofundme?
    Sounds like a plan.
    10-09-19 06:27 PM
    Interesting how people want BB10 for modern Internet service. I got my Q10 with only expectations of texting and calling. Anything else is bonus. Besides, with my eyes, and they're not that bad, I'll use my tablet for Internet use. Facebook, we'll if I value privacy that much I'll use my Android anyway. Twitter, I never got into. In fact, I have never valued much of the social media. It not necessary, at least in my world.

If I did need all these other modes of communication, I'd have to reevaluate my use of such an old device. Yes, I called this an old device. But it works for me.

A stick in the mud, but a happy stick.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-19 06:58 PM
    Close.....maybe its a bb11 shipping with AOSP, it will dual boot Android and iOS out of a small to tiny but not insignificant share of the market. It won't be kickstarted....I'm guessing it will have to be IPO'd or HTO'd or go through a round of private backing/financing ...but that's just my best uneducated guess.
    10-10-19 02:40 AM
    Interesting how people want BB10 for modern Internet service. I got my Q10 with only expectations of texting and calling. Anything else is bonus. Besides, with my eyes, and they're not that bad, I'll use my tablet for Internet use. Facebook, we'll if I value privacy that much I'll use my Android anyway. Twitter, I never got into. In fact, I have never valued much of the social media. It not necessary, at least in my world.

If I did need all these other modes of communication, I'd have to reevaluate my use of such an old device. Yes, I called this an old device. But it works for me.

A stick in the mud, but a happy stick.

Posted via CB10
    A stick in the mud is worth ten on the bush ...or so I've heard when I googled it...I think that's a propogation technique. Is BlackBerry a Vine Organization or not? Hmmm...
    10-10-19 02:45 AM
37 12